• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

feel

When you've been playing for a bit on handheld mode and then switch to the pro controller on the big TV and that combination of HD Rumble, super comfy buttons and big screen 1080p rocks your senses..

4w6dnv0.gif

cheez124

i swear to god, every time i'm playing against CPUs and a blue shell is coming at me on the map while i have the super horn, a boo will always conveniently appear to take it from me right before it hits

-shadow-

I liked how the original Yoshi Valley on the N64 didn't tell you what your position was or show where each racer was on the map.

They should patch that in as it had added a bit of mystery to the multiple routes.
Nah it's fine the way it is, the rankings jump all over the place for the different racers on each different track anyway. Well that and the final stretch of the stage is linear anyway.

Firebrand

When you've been playing for a bit on handheld mode and then switch to the pro controller on the big TV and that combination of HD Rumble, super comfy buttons and big screen 1080p rocks your senses..

4w6dnv0.gif

Well I don't have a pro controller, but yeah, MK8D looks great on the big screen.

Zelda on the other hand... yikes. I tried it for the first time in docked mode and I couldn't believe how sluggish the game felt in that one forest area.

DavidDesu

Played some more tonight on the couch, just single player, and loving this more and more. Now I'm getting a handle on drifting it's more fun and I don't feel like I'm going super slow. There's definitely a nice rhythm for each track, optimum routes to take etc. I'm going to have to read up on tips and tricks so I can make the most of this (I still don't know if coins do anything other than help you unlock stuff..?).

Great game, and the colour palette and how good it looks on the Switch screen makes me sad that Zelda's graphics look so washed out when they needn't be so extreme!

Meohsix

I've won like 8 straight races in this gaf room I'm in. Please somebody come and stop me, I'm really not this good!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Haven't played this much yet, but they somehow made playing with a friend worse than it was on wii u.

how

After seeing this article on Tumbleweed's HD rumbles, and seeing some people react, I was wondering
how does the haptic feedback feel in Mario Kart?

I read that some people feel it clearly while other can't notice it at all... Is that normal?

psychotron

Played some more tonight on the couch, just single player, and loving this more and more. Now I'm getting a handle on drifting it's more fun and I don't feel like I'm going super slow. There's definitely a nice rhythm for each track, optimum routes to take etc. I'm going to have to read up on tips and tricks so I can make the most of this (I still don't know if coins do anything other than help you unlock stuff..?).

Great game, and the colour palette and how good it looks on the Switch screen makes me sad that Zelda's graphics look so washed out when they needn't be so extreme!

Coins increase your speed until you hit 10.

Is anybody here able to achieve consistent success online?

It seems no matter how well/badly I drive the final result will be 95% dictated by pure chance. I might finish 2nd in one race and 11th in the following one against the same players. This feel even more random than Mario Kart Wii to me (the last one I played).
Most of my win ratios against gaf members are in the 85 to 100% range. The exceptions are justice at like 40%, jorge at 66%, and alternis at like 75ish%.

.Anema

The latter. DX has a host of additions in the gameplay itself that make it incompatible with the Wii U original.

Really?! I didn't know about the gameplay differences. Where can I find them?
Also, any way to transfer my profile from WiiU to Switch? I have around 20.000 points in the online charts :/

BizzyBum

I forgot my kart setup when I played on the Wii U, I remember there was this meta setup a lot of people used.. is this still a thing in the Switch version?

TheMoon

is nobody playing this 2 player local + online to answer this?

Don't have my copy yet, but I need to know: can you do the thing again like on Wii U where you set up a proper second Nintendo Account, linked to another user on your Switch that then tracks their online stats and shows up independent of the main account?

I have a MK8 buddy which I do weekly races with and want to migrate over to Deluxe. Points score is serious business.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

nobody, really? :(

I'm curious why the HD Rumble is more noticeable in the controller grip than it is in handheld mode.

I wonder if the weight of the Switch keeps it from feel as powerful, or just the way I'm holding it makes me feel it less.

When I play with the controller grip and on the TV, I at least HEAR a difference, even if the feel is pretty subtle.

I'm playing SP Grand Prix 150cc, and the only items I seem to be getting are coins, red and green shells, and the bananas. I've been playing for about two hours and have honestly not gotten any other items, but the CPU has been getting plenty. The only times I played MK8 were at a friends house who had everything unlocked, and we only did local MP.

Is there a setting or something that is keeping me from getting any other items? Do I need to do higher cups? or is the rng just not at all in my favour right now?

Bio-Frost

I'm playing SP Grand Prix 150cc, and the only items I seem to be getting are coins, red and green shells, and the bananas. I've been playing for about two hours and have honestly not gotten any other items, but the CPU has been getting plenty. The only times I played MK8 were at a friends house who had everything unlocked, and we only did local MP.

Is there a setting or something that is keeping me from getting any other items? Do I need to do higher cups? or is the rng just not at all in my favour right now?

Its dependent on what place you are currently in. If you are constantly in 1-3 your only gonna get shitty items. Go back in 8th place and boom, you get a bullet bill. Only other item you get in or near first is the horn and thats pretty rare

WarAdept

Sounds like your leading the field. You mostly only get Coins, Bananas and Green Shells if you're 1st to 3rd. A Red Shell here and there if you're 2nd/3rd.

atmuh

I did all 150cc Grand Prix and got at least 1 star (all 3 stars except for 2) but didn't unlock anything? did they change it from the Wii U version?

edit apparently it includes mirror now too

Its dependent on what place you are currently in. If you are constantly in 1-3 your only gonna get shitty items. Go back in 8th place and boom, you get a bullet bill. Only other item you get in or near first is the horn and thats pretty rare
Sounds like your leading the field. You mostly only get Coins, Bananas and Green Shells if you're 1st to 3rd. A Red Shell here and there if you're 2nd/3rd.
Oh! That makes sense. I never do well against friends, so I'm use to always having a slew of items thrown my way lmao.

Good to know that they try to even the playing field like that. Thanks for letting me know!

I really really would like to be able to spectate games without having to join in. Would be fun to watch some gaf races, be able to flip from racer to racer, while I do other things.

Kibbles

Anyone know what's up? Sometimes I can stop the item spinner like in previous Mario kart games but sometimes it doesn't and just makes a whistle noise. What..

Anyone know what's up? Sometimes I can stop the item spinner like in previous Mario kart games but sometimes it doesn't and just makes a whistle noise. What..

I've noticed that too, I think you can stop it more quickly when you're in a lower position in the race. The whistle noise is your kart's horn.

I assume everyone knows this but if you honk the horn before the race begins all of the other racers jump up a bit and look at you.

Top Bottom