• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Pressing the left trigger occasionally does not stop the item roulette properly, it just blares my kart horn a few times as I push it trying to make the items stop.

I've never noticed this in any game prior, including on the Wii U. Known bug?

This has been happening to me more recently, and never happened on the Wii U version for me. So I dunno. It's annoying anyways.

Out of curiosity I played a 2 player 150cc reverse Grand Prix race alone setting my spare controller on auto-acceleration and steering assist. I looked over as I won the race and saw auto-Toad was in 2nd place but got knocked back to 5th just before the finish.

Piggus

Some people are.... creative... with their Mii faces.

erTsdZT.jpg

I've been jumping into 150cc with a few of you over the last few days - it's been fun, with great competition all around! I recognize some, but not all of the names of the folks I've been racing. (I'm AshGX!)

Looking forward to playing more with you all in the coming weeks! But why is no one ever playing in GAF's 200cc room? I find 150cc really hard to go back to after blasting through all of the 200cc cups to unlock Gold Mario...

I've 3-starred every 150cc cup except for the last one. Got first in the first 3 races only to get hit with a Blue Shell an inch before the finish line in Big Blue.

And now I can't skip the credits.

EDIT: Got 3 stars on my next attempt

Exentryk

Looking forward to playing more with you all in the coming weeks! But why is no one ever playing in GAF's 200cc room? I find 150cc really hard to go back to after blasting through all of the 200cc cups to unlock Gold Mario...

There should be more people in 200cc from this weekend onwards.

Played a shitload of online races and got all the grand prix gold trophies but can't get the motivation to start up the game today. I think I'm finally burned out.

The game is good fun but the whole dynamic of first place being almost completely uncontested while the entire middle field is a huge item spam clusterfuck is getting old by now. Here's where I start wishing the game had some decent single player content. Oh well, I certainly don't regret the purchase, was really entertaining for a week.

J@hranimo

Banned
Played a shitload of online races and got all the grand prix gold trophies but can't get the motivation to start up the game today. I think I'm finally burned out.

The game is good fun but the whole dynamic of first place being almost completely uncontested while the entire middle field is a huge item spam clusterfuck is getting old by now. Here's where I start wishing the game had some decent single player content. Oh well, I certainly don't regret the purchase, was really entertaining for a week.

But have you played with GAF though?

Bethell

This game is super difficult. I'm new to the series, as soon as I turn off assisted steering i'm falling off every two seconds. Struggling to brake and drift..

Fun though!

I'm a sucker. I bought the game.
And man, I love the double items! It's easier to stay in first place now, just don't fall behind fourth place... that's kind of a mess, just like it was on Wii U. Also, I didn't know how much I needed a proper battle mode.

random25

This game is super difficult. I'm new to the series, as soon as I turn off assisted steering i'm falling off every two seconds. Struggling to brake and drift..

Fun though!

Drifting is all you need up to 150cc. Braking only becomes necessary at 200cc

How does this game run in docked mode? I've heard/been told it doesn't run well and there are "connectivity" issues. I don't know if they were talking about online or maybe the joycons or something though.

JoeM86

How does this game run in docked mode? I've heard/been told it doesn't run well and there are "connectivity" issues. I don't know if they were talking about online or maybe the joycons or something though.

It runs in 1080p60 in Docked Mode. I've played online and had no connection issues.

It's fine.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The fact that autoaccelerate is disabled in time trials seriously wounds me.

Like it legitimately hurts my thumb.

Lol, yeah, that really messes with me every time I try some TT, but mainly because my brain now expects to not have to manually accelerate. So I always have to restart, because I'll stop accelerating after getting the start boost.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
2-slot items is such a great upgrade from the Wii U version

this game rocks so hard!!!

Raitaro

2-slot items is such a great upgrade from the Wii U version

this game rocks so hard!!!

Is there a GAF consensus of sorts on the lack of item switching? I've heard some youtubers comment that they'd like to see that be added in for tactical purposes, especially in battle mode. Would it add much?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having a lot of trouble defending myself when in 1st. You can escape blue shells with a horn or mushroom, but I very rarely get them. Red shells are no problem, but there's no defense against lightning or squid ink right?

Wait, you can still dodge Blue Shells with mushrooms? I've been trying with the same timing from MKWii and couldn't do it, assumed that got removed.

Berordn

Wait, you can still dodge Blue Shells with mushrooms? I've been trying with the same timing from MKWii and couldn't do it, assumed that got removed.

It's in just about every game with a flying shell, but the timing varies wildly between them.

I recall MKDS was such that depending on your acceleration stat, you could actually evade them with a mini-turbo.

Stopdoor

Is there a GAF consensus of sorts on the lack of item switching? I've heard some youtubers comment that they'd like to see that be added in for tactical purposes, especially in battle mode. Would it add much?

I don't care too much about it, kind of interesting it pushes you to use an item instead of hoarding, especially in racing. But it screws with my Double Dash instincts for sure.

I don't care too much about it, kind of interesting it pushes you to use an item instead of hoarding, especially in racing. But it screws with my Double Dash instincts for sure.

I don't feel too strongly either way, but I think I do prefer the way it is. That feeling of having a sound block "locked" behind a green shell is thrilling.

Unai

How exactly does the brake drifting work? Is it like this?

1 - Mini-turbo starts;
2 - Press the brake button;
3 - Release the drift button;

How exactly does the brake drifting work? Is it like this?

1 - Mini-turbo starts;
2 - Press the brake button;
3 - Release the drift button;

Not sure, but what I do and usually works is
1.- Start drift
2.- Small brakes to "force" turbo without letting go the gas button
3.- Release brake and drift button, character goes straight with turbo

Helps A LOT in Big Blue 200cc

molnizzle

What stat am I looking for if I want to be able to take sharper turns while drifting? I was able to do it a lot tighter before and I'm not sure what I changed.

Top Bottom