• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

octopiggy

So my last Mario Kart game was Double Dash and this game is amazing.

But I've had many many many races where I'm 1st and get hit right at the last turn.

I've grown to accept that it's a game of chance but I'm sure some people consistently place first.

Any tips for someone who is currently at a mix of Silver and gold cups for 150cc and mirror to be more consistent?

Go through all courses in time trial and watch the world records for optimal lines, technique and best places to use your mushrooms.

jts

...hate me...
Every time I tried to play GAF 150cc normal items I just ended up playing 1vs1 races. Didn't have the same issue back in the Wii U days :/

Appleman

Don't make mistakes (hit walls, run off the track)

Drift on every turn

Tricks on every jump

Protect your rear in first place

Yeah, sounds dumb but hanging out in first as much as possible is the key. Use everything as a block. Soon as you drop into the middle of the crowd you'll get bombarded

Roo

Is drifting even the same speed as when I drive through a curve?
Pretty sure drifting slightly decreases your top speed but it compensates that with a miniturbo at the end of it, something you can't say about simply taking a turn without drifting.
Unless a curve is way too wide/long, say.. Toad's Turnpike, there's really no reason why you shouldn't drift at every turn.

Pretty sure drifting slightly decreases your top speed but it compensates that with a miniturbo at the end of it, something you can't say about simply taking a turn without drifting.
Unless a curve is way too wide/long, say.. Toad's Turnpike, there's really no reason why you shouldn't drift at every turn.

I don't know what you're talking about, you can drift the entirety of both curves in Toad's Turnpike. So easy to get a pink spark or two from each

Amazing it's still such a struggle to play with multiple friends. Trying to join just 2 friends in a lobby and it won't let me join because Nintendo thinks it's acceptable to not have a spectate and queue system in place. Such a joke.

This. MK8 Deluxe is such an impressive in so many ways, and yet it's still hamstrung by Nintendo still not being able to figure online out in 2017.

The true irony is that outside of, like, Rocket League, Nintendo's games are the only ones I ever want to play online. I could play Smash and Mario Kart online all damn day, and yet those are the two games with the weakest online components because Nintendo.

At least you can now change characters and vehicles without backing out of the lobby you're in, I guess. Shows Nintendo's at least somewhat listening to online complaints.

Maybe/hopefully the Switch's forthcoming online matchmaking app will make things better. :/

Ah, ok.

I swear the item roulette not stopping with the trigger has gotten worse over the past day since I made that post.

What the hell is going on, this is offline in SP too....

El Odio

Banned
Does anyone else get serious connection issues when trying to play 2p online? Seems my girlfriend and I can hardly play one whole race/battle before an error occurs. Meanwhile when I queue up by myself the connections buttery smooth.

Firebrand

I feel like I'm the only one who never tries to stop the item roulette.

Might just be my imagination, but I feel like when this bug happens it takes even longer to stop than usual.

Earlier I needed a mushroom boost for a shortcut on the last lap and the fucking thing just wouldn't stop. Sadness.

twisteh

The Switch is my first Nintendo console and have to say I'm loving Mario Kart.

It's just a fun game and I'm having a blast.

Quick question though: to unlock Gold Mario do you 'just' need to win every cup on 200cc or every race of every cup? :c

Firebrand

Wow, that green shell from the finish line on Yoshi Valley, dick move. :p

Good games everyone.

Also my ears might be ringing from hearing Jorge's points count down to 999 after each round, weird glitch.

I had to stop playing because the left joycon keeps disconnecting. Multiple times a match. Just drifted off course and into the wall because of it in a close match. Disappointing as fuck

I read the OP, but I'm still having trouble understanding the control options. I'm going to be visiting my sister soon, and she has her own Switch and a copy of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I do not have a copy yet. When I visit her, I assume I can play with her with each of us having our own Switch. But is it possible to play a combination of 4 players with two Switches? Or can we only do 4 players with one Switch?

Type40

I read the OP, but I'm still having trouble understanding the control options. I'm going to be visiting my sister soon, and she has her own Switch and a copy of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I do not have a copy yet. When I visit her, I assume I can play with her with each of us having our own Switch. But is it possible to play a combination of 4 players with two Switches? Or can we only do 4 players with one Switch?
Each switch needs a copy of the game. Otherwise your limited to 4 people on one switch.

Some of you don't seem to know this, so here's a cool advanced technique: You can throw items forward instead of backwards! Isn't that amazing!?

Top Bottom