• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Played a few online matches last night and managed to come in first twice in a row! Either I played against scrubs or I'm actually getting back up to speed with this game. Gonna go back to practicing in SP before playing more online.

I love battle mode, but I wish the regular search let you pick a certain game type to search for. I just wanna do random battles of shine thief...

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
My first MK since Double Dash, have to learn all the tricks again.

molnizzle

Handling. Also affects how quickly you can charge mini turbos.

Something else has to affect it, because handling is what I've been focussing on with my upgrades and I feel like my drifts aren't as sharp as they were before. I just don't remember what I was using prior.

Bowser Jr. + B Dasher + Slim wheels + Hylian Kite = I'M GONE.

s96URea.gif

This combo is too good.

Wife and I played through most of the cups last night, and she's having 10x more fun with Delux than she ever did with MK vanilla. Helps that I got her the joycon wheel.

Is it possible to be a beast in MK using the wheel or do y'all feel it's essential to graduate to traditional controls at some point?

Was looking at the loading screen last night and I'm still kind of amused Dry Bowser has his own brand (Undead Motors, the only brand for a DLC character in the game) and his own stage (Bone Dry Dunes) and yet he was a DLC character.

I'm not really how much more blatantly "cut at the last minute" he could have possibly been. He was also kind of a weird vet to bring back, but if he was 75% of the way done anyway, it would make sense.

Just got Gold Mario and i'm pretty proud of myself because I gave up trying to get even just first place in 150CC on the Wii U let alone attempt 200CC

Now i have 8/12 150CC cups 3-Starred so far :')

Anybody know what the requirements are for the Gold Kart? Do i need to 1 star Mirror Mode or is Gold Cup okay?

Just got Gold Mario and i'm pretty proud of myself because I gave up trying to get even just first place in 150CC on the Wii U let alone attempt 200CC

Anybody know what the requirements are for the Gold Kart? Do i need to 1 star Mirror Mode or is Gold Cup okay?
You need to get at least 1 star in every cup in mirror mode.

Appleman

Just got Gold Mario last night too, took a little while to get the hang of 200cc, I'm not even properly drift braking!

Sucks that 200cc stars don't carry down to 150cc...

Edit: Wait... just looked it up and you only need a gold trophy in 200cc for Gold Mario? I thought it was 1 star minimum!

Just got Gold Mario last night too, took a little while to get the hang of 200cc, I'm not even properly drift braking!

Sucks that 200cc stars don't carry down to 150cc...

Edit: Wait... just looked it up and you only need a gold trophy in 200cc for Gold Mario? I thought it was 1 star minimum!

Nope! I have 3 no-star Gold Cups in 200cc and that was after a few rage quits ! Gold Kart though, is one star at least in Mirror Mode from what ElBoxyBrown just told me!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, disagree. If I stick in a room for awhile I'll usually be consistently 2nd or 3rd with the occasional 1st place finish. Sometimes I'll have a bad race at 7-11 but I'll bounce back soon enough.

Same here. The occasional unlucky race does happen maybe 1 out of 4 times at most.

Weirdly I feel like the items help those at the front of the pack more than those in the back, because they don't have to deal with as much piranha plants or stars or bombs or whatever else. The leads tend to grow so much you can even not really care if a blue shell hits you because you have such a lead. Just need to protect against red shells and you're golden.

The worst ones are when you get screwed over in the first couple item balloon areas, and then somehow always get terrible items so you can never pull away from the item hell of 7th place. I find even though always be drifting/snaking is bad for time trial in this game, it helps make you hard to hit in normal races and keep you away from the mass in the center of the track that people aim for, so that helps.

random25

I've hit the wall online. All my matches are against 3k guys and they obliterate the competition. My highest was 2nd only once in 10 races. I'm lucky to even get 6th place for the most part lol.

Sapiens

I've hit the wall online. All my matches are against 3k guys and they obliterate the competition. My highest was 2nd only once in 10 races. I'm lucky to even get 6th place for the most part lol.

Once we get bored, we'll leave the online world and you'll be able to get 1st place again.

Alright, I thought I understood how earning stars worked but apparently I was wrong. If you get first place in every race of a Grand Prix you get 3 stars. Makes sense. So how do you get one or two stars? I came in first on three races then came in fourth on one race and earned no stars. So...what then? Do you only get stars if you don't fall below a certain placement threshold for any individual race?

backlot

Alright, I thought I understood how earning stars worked but apparently I was wrong. If you get first place in every race of a Grand Prix you get 3 stars. Makes sense. So how do you get one or two stars? I came in first on three races then came in fourth on one race and earned no stars. So...what then? Do you only get stars if you don't fall below a certain placement threshold for any individual race?

I think its based on the amount of points you have at the end. The 4th place finish probably lost you too many points.

Firebrand

Drives over bridge on Wild Woods
Piranha plant drives by, hits me.
I roll left and fall off the bridge.

Respawn.

Piranha plant drives by, hits me.
I roll right and fall off the bridge.

Good times.

Burning Justice

the superior princess

IIRC:

60 points = 3 stars
57 points = 2 stars
54 points = 1 star

So to join the tournament room after capping # of games, I have to use another Switch profile with a Nintendo Account right?
You should be able to just keep playing normally on your main account, your points just won't be added to your total for the week.

I hit my cap on Wednesday, and it didn't seem to have any other affect than my points being reset.

Jonnax

So my last Mario Kart game was Double Dash and this game is amazing.

But I've had many many many races where I'm 1st and get hit right at the last turn.

I've grown to accept that it's a game of chance but I'm sure some people consistently place first.

Any tips for someone who is currently at a mix of Silver and gold cups for 150cc and mirror to be more consistent?

So my last Mario Kart game was Double Dash and this game is amazing.

But I've had many many many races where I'm 1st and get hit right at the last turn.

I've grown to accept that it's a game of chance but I'm sure some people consistently place first.

Any tips for someone who is currently at a mix of Silver and gold cups for 150cc and mirror to be more consistent?

Don't make mistakes (hit walls, run off the track)

Drift on every turn

Tricks on every jump

Protect your rear in first place

Neoxon

This game really is a testament to how great the idea of the Switch is. My little brother & I killed quite a bit of time waiting for our food before Guardians Vol. 2 started, last night.

BizzyBum

Amazing it's still such a struggle to play with multiple friends. Trying to join just 2 friends in a lobby and it won't let me join because Nintendo thinks it's acceptable to not have a spectate and queue system in place. Such a joke.

Top Bottom