• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

When you pass someone with a red shell just before hitting a gliding jump.

DHTBRmg.png

McNum

"You already have it for Wii U, you don't need to buy it." said my reasonable voice. "There's no need, you've played it all already." Some days that voice wins. Today was not one of those. One eShop visit later and I have it installed on my Switch.

I barely remember the tracks and I am terrible at the game, hitting walls, falling off tracks and al that good stuff. I also miss some of my unlocks from th Wii U game. I am pretty sure my go-to selection was Rosalina on an inwards drifting bike, which was not the Comet, but one of the others. I don't remember its name. Which bike am I thinking of?

Also, I dig the Inklings, they're cute and just fresh enough to still fit in. Well, more than Link does, at least. Doesn't he have an Epona-cycle or something to unlock? The only way to unlock that is getting coins, isn't it?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So great to finally find GAFers playing 200cc! You guys are fucking vicious... and I love it. ;)

I'm glad we get to play at last, Heath! Smash has to be next!

YESSSS! It was a lot of fun last night! Hopefully we would able to do it again soon! I'm pretty sure we would have a chance with Smash for Switch.

roytheone

So, how good is the matchmaking in this? Played for about an hour and pretty much always ended 11th or 12th,honestly was kinda boring. Will I eventually get matched with worse players so that it becomes more competitive?

So, how good is the matchmaking in this? Played for about an hour and pretty much always ended 11th or 12th,honestly was kinda boring. Will I eventually get matched with worse players so that it becomes more competitive?
My vr is 1800+ and i get matched with people around 1500-2300. How is it for you?

Plum

I'm just going to accept that I'll never get those golden tires. Getting 1 star in every 150cc cup was a cakewalk but I can't seem to even do 1 150cc staff time trial.

Firebrand

Aah, now there's two people with the points counting bug! Barely get back to the lobby before the countdown starts. No time to change setup!

I tried playing Kart with 4 people for the first time, ran into controller issues.

Pro controller 1: fine
Pro controller 2: BOTH ZL and ZR randomly fail to register, making drifts almost impossible
Joycons 1:
L: connectivity problems when far away
R: X button not registering (only matters in single configuration)
Joycons 2: fine

I haven't seen anyone else having such Pro controller problems, really disappointed with that. L JoyCon was kind of expected. Haven't seen anyone else complain about buttons not registering on R joycon.

It feels like cheating to use assist to unlock Gold Mario

And yet now I have Gold Mario. The last few cups were destroying me. The triple assault of Rainbow Roads over three cups is what did it for me.

Assist 200cc is babby mode

Firebrand

I tried playing Kart with 4 people for the first time, ran into controller issues.

Pro controller 1: fine
Pro controller 2: BOTH ZL and ZR randomly fail to register, making drifts almost impossible
Joycons 1:
L: connectivity problems when far away
R: X button not registering (only matters in single configuration)
Joycons 2: fine

I haven't seen anyone else having such Pro controller problems, really disappointed with that. L JoyCon was kind of expected. Haven't seen anyone else complain about buttons not registering on R joycon.
That sucks. Do the pro controllers work okay solo?

Fuck me, I hated this game on the Wii U. Just played for an hour online with my cousin, we had a whale of a time. Bloody fantastic, raging like motherfuckers. Got so angry at one point I remarked "There is no way nobody has committed suicide after playing this game." I mean, its a no skill game but God damn its a great laugh.

molnizzle

Is there any way to force it to 150cc in regular online matches (i.e. not just tournaments)? Always a bummer when someone's map selection comes up 100cc.

MysteryM

Played my first 3 player split screen battle mode. Have to say I'm dissapointed the frame rate takes a hit (back to 30fps?). I was hoping they would have adjusted the LOD and kept the frame rate at 60. Still at least two player split screen is slick.

Fuck me, I hated this game on the Wii U. Just played for an hour online with my cousin, we had a whale of a time. Bloody fantastic, raging like motherfuckers. Got so angry at one point I remarked "There is no way nobody has committed suicide after playing this game." I mean, its a no skill game but God damn its a great laugh.
Haha that quote sounds like a good time, probly goofing off and ragging on other players in rage. Fun stuff.

Timeaisis

Any advice for a kart setup?

I play pretty well, but I find myself very rarely starting near the top 3 and I'm almost always clawing my way back up. This leads me to get stuck in the shit and really work my way for each game, unless I get incredibly lucky and make it to first out of the gate.

It just seems like people are faster than me in lap 1 and get way ahead. I'm currently running a pretty balanced accel/speed setup around 3/3 each. Sometimes, I go like 5 speed and 2 accel but that gets similarly bad results.

Just trying to be able to stay competitive at the start of the race so I have a more consistent chance.

Come in to the GAF room and tell me its a no skill game.

Top Bottom