• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Enforced

Around 8-10 of us have been playing in the 150cc room for the past hour (we just disbanded). It's probably MK8/MK8D's shoddy matchmaking. :(
I want to say that you ruin my race on sunshine airport. Your bomb-omb hit me at the end and went 2nd place to last place at the end of the race. Ash pls.

So what are some of the best Kart Builds/character combinations?

I've only owned Super Mario Kart, and then 7 for a few months, and I'm not sure what's good or not.

jdstorm

Banned
So what are some of the best Kart Builds/character combinations?

I've only owned Super Mario Kart, and then 7 for a few months, and I'm not sure what's good or not.

Depends on what you plan on playing. Using heavyweights is practically essential in 150cc or lower since the higher top speed makes a big difference.

At 200cc its a crapshoot because Heavyweights are almost too fast and the greater acceleration you get from lightweights is an advantage if you find yourself in situations where you cant string boost chains together/draft other characters to increase your speed.

Fuck me, I hated this game on the Wii U. Just played for an hour online with my cousin, we had a whale of a time. Bloody fantastic, raging like motherfuckers. Got so angry at one point I remarked "There is no way nobody has committed suicide after playing this game." I mean, its a no skill game but God damn its a great laugh.

It's definitely not a no skill game, just go visit the GAF tourneys, especially when there's a skilled player (or more) to be found. You practically see about 1-5 people fighting for those top positions leagues ahead of everyone else, as well as mind blowing item use/timing

Indeed luck is involved but like Poker, while the big shots can definitely bomb completely, it is incredibly unlikely (though when it does happen everyone cherishes it and remembers it forever)

Why on Yoshi Valley am I always doing well on lap 3 and then near the end get hit with like every item in the game and get passed right before the finish line to get 12th

Durden77

Can someone clarify something for me?

In MK8 Wii U, with the acceleration stat all that mattered were the amount of full blocks in the stat screen, not in between. For instace, if the stat screen showed you had 2 1/2 blocks of acceleration, you really only had 2.

I'm pretty sure this was the case at least, and I think it was only with acceleration. Does anyone know?

Can someone clarify something for me?

In MK8 Wii U, with the acceleration stat all that mattered were the amount of full blocks in the stat screen, not in between. For instace, if the stat screen showed you had 2 1/2 blocks of acceleration, you really only had 2.

I'm pretty sure this was the case at least, and I think it was only with acceleration. Does anyone know?

That's how it used to work but now every bit makes a difference

Crazyorloco

Cruise control is so nice. I forget that I can have that on, I keep pressing A down.

It's definitely not a no skill game, just go visit the GAF tourneys, especially when there's a skilled player (or more) to be found. You practically see about 1-5 people fighting for those top positions leagues ahead of everyone else, as well as mind blowing item use/timing

Indeed luck is involved but like Poker, while the big shots can definitely bomb completely, it is incredibly unlikely (though when it does happen everyone cherishes it and remembers it forever)

Absolutely. It's you're a good player you definitely have a higher chance as better on top. It all depends on how you play. There is a lot of skill involved.

I want to say that you ruin my race on sunshine airport. Your bomb-omb hit me at the end and went 2nd place to last place at the end of the race. Ash pls.

I would say I'm sorry, but that would be a lie. ;) I hear you though, we're all a vicious bunch. So many salty races where it felt like I was getting hit with everything the room could throw at me...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Any advice for a kart setup?

I play pretty well, but I find myself very rarely starting near the top 3 and I'm almost always clawing my way back up. This leads me to get stuck in the shit and really work my way for each game, unless I get incredibly lucky and make it to first out of the gate.

It just seems like people are faster than me in lap 1 and get way ahead. I'm currently running a pretty balanced accel/speed setup around 3/3 each. Sometimes, I go like 5 speed and 2 accel but that gets similarly bad results.

Just trying to be able to stay competitive at the start of the race so I have a more consistent chance.

I win the most with acceleration builds; like Daisy/Mr. Scooter/Rollers.

5 acc, 2 speed and great handling. Lots of boosting makes up for loss of speed, and great acc is also very useful in the absolute shitfest item infernos that is gafkart racing

This is my first MK and I have mixed feeling. What am I supposed to do ? 50cc and 100cc are so easy that are really boring, should I just go witch 150cc and 200c ? Either way A.I. seems really bad.

I feel like this could be awesome on party with friends, playing solo feel really bad at the moment.

Roo

This is my first MK and I have mixed feeling. What am I supposed to do ? 50cc and 100cc are so easy that are really boring, should I just go witch 150cc and 200c ? Either way A.I. seems really bad.

I feel like this could be awesome on party with friends, playing solo feel really bad at the moment.
You don't have to play 50-100cc if you don't want to.
Playing 150cc-Mirror will unlock all the trophies for the lower engine classes.

200cc is its own thing so if you think you're ready to jump on that then go for it. Getting gold on all the cups will give you Gold Mario

JJShadow

Is this game fucking awesome? Yup, it is fucking awesome

This is the first MK I've played since MK DS, and it's so good. Cannot believe I'm playing such a good-looking and fun game in a handheld during the launch break or in the bus

Between this, BotW and Persona 5 I'm in gaming paradise atm

I disagree, sir.

Come in to the GAF room and tell me its a no skill game.

I'm honest, I haven't played in the GAF room. I will be in there though. But this is not a game of pure skill. I whoop the arse of everyone I know by a mile. But at the same time, the only time I ever lose a race is building a 20 second lead or whatever, then the last lap get bombarded with shells of all colours. Don't get me wrong, but this is the worst MK in terms of how far being good gets you in my opinion. :) Had a blast with my cousin online last night though, lost 2 races from 16, because of item spam. Hell, I will be in the GAF room though, I only got this yesterday so just trying to get back in the rhythm of MK!

Yep, you can't turn this off. You're forced to drive 200cc online even though MK8 is not even designed for this speed. I'm out. Gonna sell this game. F**k Nintendo.

edit: Seems like 200cc appears just as you reach 3000 points

Firebrand

Yep, you can't turn this off. You're forced to drive 200cc online even though MK8 is not even designed for this speed. I'm out. Gonna sell this game. F**k Nintendo.

Don't think that's it, I'm only at 2000ish but some of the other players were 3K+.

TAS

In the last couple of days, I've been experiencing a very weird issue with this game. When I play in table top mode (both with Pro and JoyCon) my character is pulling to the left side of the track on its own. In TV mode it pulls to the right. I thought it might be my control sticks so I tried re calibration to no avail. All my other Switch games have no issue with controls. Has anyone experienced this problem? I've never seen anything like this before. :(

Berordn

In the last couple of days, I've been experiencing a very weird issue with this game. When I play in table top mode (both with Pro and JoyCon) my character is pulling to the left side of the track on its own. In TV mode it pulls to the right. I thought it might be my control sticks so I tried re calibration to no avail. All my other Switch games have no issue with controls. Has anyone experienced this problem? I've never seen anything like this before. :(

Sounds a lot like the standard joycon issue.

Firebrand

I'm guessing you've already checked gyro settings? I heard they might be separate for handheld and TV mode.

wtf is this shit...200cc tracks in random online mode? Get this crap out of here. Can you turn this off?

Yeah, I _just_ came to post this. WTF when Rainbow Road 200 came up.

I hope it's not because I beat the 200c cup... if so I might as well go delete my save, lol.

Yeh, this is when I stop playing random. I'll stay in tournaments or something. The game clearly wasn't designed for 200cc so I have no idea why they'd force it on people.

wolgoen

Darn it, I really want to play split screen 2 player with the misses but...

...I haven't told her I have a Switch! I've managed to hide it behind the TV and play it when she's not around.

Oh dear lord I'm cheating on my misses with a Switch.

GAF help!

Top Bottom