• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Roo

Thank you Amazon for doing something right for once. ;)

OMG Heath

Savage

2x4EpDA.gif

Protome

So when playing online with some buddies I got enough coins to get around 6 or so unlocks. It didn't tell me this in multiplayer but when I exited it gave me the pop up at the main menu going "Yo', you got enough coins to unlock stuff."

So I opened up Time Trial, got to the vehicle selection hit the thing for the unlock then backed back out the main menu where...I got another pop up saying I could unlock a thing.

Had to repeat this for all 6 unlocks.

Is this genuinely how the unlocking system is meant to work or did I encounter some kind of bizarre glitch?

Otherwise completely loving it. Most fun I've had with a Kart racer since Sonic Racing Transformed and with a Mario Kart since 64.

ngower

Is it just me, or is single player now much easier than on the WiiU?
Maybe they tuned the AI a bit, or maybe it's the new second item, but today I easily finished 150 and Mirror with not too many problems, all 3 Stars, all 60 Points.

Never managed to do that on WiiU.

I'm struggling a bit with 150. I find the AI to be brutal on the final lao.

Omg. Just played battle mode 4 player split screen. Teams off, random course random mode round of five. IT'S SO GOOD. Every mode came up once. I love the scoring system, how each individual coin in coin runners and kill in balloon battle and bobomb blast is a point. And in shine thief how winner gets 20 and everyone else gets points depending on how long they kept the shine for, and how there's still one team game in there (renegade roundup). It was great!

Maybe they tuned the AI a bit, or maybe it's the new second item, but today I easily finished 150 and Mirror with not too many problems, all 3 Stars, all 60 Points.

In 50 cc I haven't come close to losing once but I'm getting bombarded with blue shells and red shells and lightnings. Way more stuff is showing up but it's not really affecting me.

Omg. Just played battle mode 4 player split screen. Teams off, random course random mode round of five. IT'S SO GOOD. Every mode came up once. I love the scoring system, how each individual coin in coin runners and kill in balloon battle and bobomb blast is a point. And in shine thief how winner gets 20 and everyone else gets points depending on how long they kept the shine for, and how there's still one team game in there (renegade roundup). It was great!

The battle mode is amazing. Shame there's no elimination mode, but eh... best Battle mode since 64.

jorgejjvr

Hey guys, I think I asked this before and got no answer

Is the rocker motorcycle and Link's bike not available since the beginning? We unlock those?

Savitar

I'm giddy how this looks on the NS own screen, coming from the 3DS to this is the kind of jump I've wanted for ages now, go figure it's a hybrid console but hey whatever it's still freaking awesome.

Some things never change either, first place? Red shell, then blue shell combo is coming your way!

The AI is pretty lax on every mode besides 200cc. Seems like Nintendo dialed down the AI bc of the newfound chaos introduced by more items

You roasted me good

Revenge never felt so coincidental

RedShift

I'm on a four hour train to Scotland with two friends, having this is amazing. Portable multiplayer Mario Kart might be the Switch's killer app.

Like Tilt Controls...is there a way to view who uses Driving Aids on Online?

Also is the Golden Wheel Icon back?

Assume they have a radio antenna behind them like an RC car - not sure if I noticed any to be honest.

Wheel icon is back, but haven't seen a golden one just yet.

This is my first Switch game, I fucking love this thing. The game itself is great, but the console fucking rules. This is what the Wii U should've been! It's so versatile and fun to play, Mario Kart feels right at hime. The game looks beautiful! I can't believe this game looks as good as it does on a portable console. Mind blowing.

Vast cast of characters and the immense amount of tracks are great. So good they gave us the completely full package.

Very easy now. I'm blowing everyone away, and after having played the game for three years with only one item box, having two now seems like a cheat.

I've noticed that, along with the requisite coins and banana peels, Bob-ombs are a frequent item draw if you're in the lead. That's nice so it doesn't get too boring and you can still make some decent replays.

03sho

After a race in single player I get the option to press X and this seems to be me offering up a star of some sort??

The AI is pretty lax on every mode besides 200cc. Seems like Nintendo dialed down the AI bc of the newfound chaos introduced by more items

Very easy now. I'm blowing everyone away, and after having played the game for three years with only one item box, having two now seems like a cheat.

I've noticed that, along with the requisite coins and banana peels, Bob-ombs are a frequent item draw if you're in the lead. That's nice so it doesn't get too boring and you can still make some decent replays.

So it's not just me. Frankly, thank fuck for that. Last 3 Mario Karts I gave up unlocking everything because Single Player was pure luck based. Wii was the worst, but even MK7 and 8 were just stupid at times. 150 was always mostly manageable, but mirrored became fucking stupid.

This time I am probably going to even finish 200cc.. So far 2 cups down already.

Nesther

Playing MK8D on a handheld while on the bus is a surreal experience. This game looks so clean and plays smooth as butter. Can't believe I'm playing a better version of MK8 PLUS taking it everywhere with me.

Top Bottom