• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Loving the game. Barely played the Wii U version.

Played some portable this morning then a with pro controller docked this afternoon. Just ran through all the circuits on 50cc to get my bearings and unlock stuff. Naturally 3 starred them all.

Zemm

I really don't like the two item system. It would have been fine if you could switch the items with the dpad or something but right now it feels incredibly clunky.

chekhonte

I need first in this last race to win the gold. Wish me luck.

EDIT and from first to 4th in the last 4/5ths of the track it is.

iLorah

Neo Member
Long shot but.. is anyone getting any error codes from this? I got my Switch this week and had no problems with Zelda. I've been playing MK8 this evening and had 4 crashes with error codes that tell me to restart? I'm assuming a coincidence and need a replacement console but seems odd!

You a monster bro

You gotta get back to me on that kart combo next time ya see me in Discord

I just kinda eyeball it. I want to be able to accelerate well enough since you get hit all the time, I want to have a decent top speed for those times when I pull away from the pack. I'm not one who cares about being heavy and pushing people around, I prefer to be light usually.

But mostly if you've ever played with MK8 Wii U gaf.... You have to learn to git gud because they will stomp you.

I'm pretty mediocre at best compared to them haha

Raknar you are just terrible

I mean that in the "did he really just knock me down to 12th place AGAIN" sense

Y'all should hop on discord and get your banter going in there, it's the best :3

Robin64

You know what they say...

C-iFGqpVoAAsKXZ.jpg

Peru

Definitely having moments, as a lifetime fan of dedicated handhelds, where I just have to stop and take in what's happening on this small device.

Raknar

Neo Member
Raknar you are just terrible

I mean that in the "did he really just knock me down to 12th place AGAIN" sense

Y'all should hop on discord and get your banter going in there, it's the best :3

I'm just all round terrible haha. I felt like it was time for someone else to try 12th place!

Is this game just killing the thumb you use to excelerate (in handheld mode) for anybody else? Mine is completely cramped.

That's exactly what Auto-Accelerate is for.

I've got huge hands but I play with joy-cons because AA lets me. It's the best accessibility feature I've personally ever used. It is not an advantage, since you'll be holding A/Y the entire game anyway, and you can still do boosts when you need to by pressing the A button (like at the start of a race).

Activate Auto-Accelerate.

Can't stress it enough. Not repeating it to be condescending, just stressing it to anyone who might read this post.

If you hate holding A the entire game, and wish to alleviate that annoyance in a way that does not grant you an advantage and does not end up with 'marked' victories - activate Auto-Accelerate.

After that last blue and the final backwards red, I am definitely using tilt controls to the best of my ability.

Good races, looks like I got a comm error so I might go do something else.

I played my first match solo in the Grand Prix. After the race, in the top left corner of the screen, I could press X to add up to six stars. What are those?

chekhonte

That's exactly what Auto-Accelerate is for.

I've got huge hands but I play with joy-cons because AA lets me. It's the best accessibility feature I've personally ever used. It is not an advantage, since you'll be holding A/Y the entire game anyway, and you can still do boosts when you need to by pressing the A button (like at the start of a race).

Can't stress it enough.

If you hate holding A the entire game, and wish to alleviate that annoyance in a way that does not grant you an advantage and does not end up with 'marked' victories - activate Auto-Accelerate.

Thanks. I definitely didn't know about that. I never check nintendo options because I assume that there are none.

Buzzy42

Neo Member
I'm on a four hour train to Scotland with two friends, having this is amazing. Portable multiplayer Mario Kart might be the Switch's killer app.

Must agree. This might be the game that really pushes home what Nintendo is trying for with the Switch-- good enough to be (and was!) a console game, but you can play it on the go. Get a friend, split off the joycons, there ya go. It's sort of what they probably THOUGHT 1-2-Switch would be, except with a game people actually want to play.

At times I start feeling like the WiiU solely existed to buy time while Nintendo perfected the Switch, or that they wanted the WiiU to be hybrid/portable but it didn't quite work out... (not fully serious but so many things that seemed half-baked with the WiiU are fixed it's crazy..)

After that last blue and the final backwards red, I am definitely using tilt controls to the best of my ability.

Good races, looks like I got a comm error so I might go do something else.

Tilt controls are actually pretty amazing in this game. Didn't expect them to be so good. They've got sooooo much less latency than Wii Remote steering. Y'all should try it.

We're any of you guys able to trade in the Wii U version of MK8 to get a discount on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? If you were able to, how much was the discount? Just wondering. This is about Gamestop specifically.

Thanks. I definitely didn't know about that. I never check nintendo options because I assume that there are none.

When you're selecting your Kart parts, hit the +/- button.

From there, you can disable the Auto-Assist (keeps you from flying off the track, and marks your cup victories with a yellow dot iirc) by hitting L - it's on by default - and you can hit R to turn on Auto-Accelerate.

Lemme know how you like it! It was an absolute game-changer for me.

Must agree. This might be the game that really pushes home what Nintendo is trying for with the Switch-- good enough to be (and was!) a console game, but you can play it portable.

At times I start feeling like the WiiU solely existed to buy time while Nintendo perfected the Switch, or that they wanted the WiiU to be hybrid/portable but it didn't quite work out... (not fully serious but so many things that seemed half-baked with the WiiU are fixed it's crazy..)
I'm on a similar boat, but like... if all they wanted to do was buy time, wouldn't it have been more cost effective to just make something like a "Nintendo HD," with all the same games but no expensive gimmick to deter buyers? A $200 360+ that play Nintendo games would've been great

Salaadin

From Amazon:

Hello,

I've really understand the concern that you had with the order.

When an item is listed as "Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available," this means the item is currently out of stock and will be get delivered to you as soon it becomes available . If you order one of these items, we'll do our best to get the item for you, and we'll send an e-mail as soon as we have more information.

You can cancel the order any time before it enters the shipping process, and you won't be charged.

I am really sorry we cannot give the prime credit for his order

I realize this is frustrating; however we aren't able to offer any additional insight or action on this matter and any further inquiries regarding this issue won't receive a response.

We appreciate your understanding.

Best regards,
Deepak D.

I can't believe this. Amazon usually goes out of their way to help but now they're basically telling me to fuck off.
I don't have the item even though I preordered under the impression that they'd have it in stock.
I can't cancel the item because they changed my status to "preparing" over 12 hours ago.
And now they're saying that they won't talk to me about it anymore.

So is the online modes easy to jump into? I wanna get this for he amazon discount but I'm almost done with horizon and still have breath of wild to play lol.

any race I don't finish last in is a victory to me

It's all about learning. don't worry.

Drifting and defending (drag items) is key. In a perfect race you shouldn't slow down once. Just drift, get a boost, let go of the drift button and defend yourself.
Don't use heavy characters at the beginning. Chose Luigi or Mario and a normal kart.

Top Bottom