• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Jerm411

Forgot to add in my original post, the courses I've played so far have been awesome...already some of my all time favs. Love me some Twisted Mansion....

BDrummer1606

Neo Member
I know this has been an issue, but what the hell is up with the switch wifi? I can play online games and connect no problem with my PS4, but my switch struggles to even connect to the internet. Just really want to play mario kart haha

feel

Finally felt HD Rumble in a game (it's not a myth!), it's a really nice thing. Had to detach the joycons and hold them wii-style to feel it tho, is it turned off in handheld mode or what? Have not tried it on the grip or pro controller yet, MK8D is just too comfy in bed.

Ha, so is everyone abusing this now?
I'm a newb but it doesn't seem to offer advantag, it just makes the experience much more pleasant for me since my thumb starts hurting after a while of holding the button and it's a pain in the ass looking behind with it OFF because you have to hold two buttons at the same time. It does feel weird to be playing a racing game without accelerating myself, but I'll get over it fast.

Coffinhal

So it's not just me. Frankly, thank fuck for that. Last 3 Mario Karts I gave up unlocking everything because Single Player was pure luck based. Wii was the worst, but even MK7 and 8 were just stupid at times. 150 was always mostly manageable, but mirrored became fucking stupid.

This time I am probably going to even finish 200cc.. So far 2 cups down already.

Yes it's easier on 150cc. I had a hard time completing everything on Wii U but here I am today, I have two more cups to finish at 60 point and three stars. I make mistakes but most of the time it's okay.

I tried a bit 200cc but it changes so much my strategy that I need to finish 150cc and Mirror first. I hope the IA won't be as frustrating.

Unicorn

From Amazon:

I can't believe this. Amazon usually goes out of their way to help but now they're basically telling me to fuck off.
I don't have the item even though I preordered under the impression that they'd have it in stock.
I can't cancel the item because they changed my status to "preparing" over 12 hours ago.
And now they're saying that they won't talk to me about it anymore.
Escalate by requesting to speak to complaint department.

Xdrive05

Has anyone worked out on the wireless LAN yet? What's​ the details and configuration possibilities?

Is it intuitive to make work?

Can you LAN docked and undocked Switches easily?

Can you have split screen players on LAN'd Switches in the same race/match?

This seems like the most important feature considering the portability of the platform.

RAWRferal

So I've played this for like 8 hours today (had nothing going on at work and have an hour commute each way).

This is absolutely amazing. Never played the Wii U version, but holy moly does this feel like what Mario Kart has been building up to since it's inception. Amazing tight controls, fantastic tracks and gorgeous visuals.

Also I can't believe it's running like this on a handheld, my co-workers were in awe today.

Bluth54

What is the best way to change a switch? I'm worried about damaging the system.

- can I charge using ANY charger ? I have a usb a to c cord.

- if the charger supplies too much power does the switch safely use what it needs ?

- if the charger supplies less than recommend, does it damage it ? Or just take longer to charge?

For docked mode I would either make sure you're using the charger that comes with the Switch or the character you're using outputs the same amount of power since the Switch upclocks while in docked mode and you want to make sure it has enough power for that.

If the character doesn't output as much power in handheld mode I really doubt it hurts the system since it can run off of battery, I've used a tablet character that doesn't output as much power while in handheld mode which doesn't actually output enough power to charge my Switch but doesn't cause it to lose battery life (or if it does it loses it much slower than normal) and it doesn't seem to have damaged my Switch.

DavidDesu

My god does this game do the Switch screen justice. What a great screen, vibrant with lots of colour and contrast. 720p at this size looks great, not a problem at all. Mario Odyssey will look great on this. So glad I got the Switch!

tookhster

Pardon if this has been asked before, but what would be the best way to go about unlocking everything? Do I have to do all tracks on 50cc first?

feel

This game pauses if you touch the screen and it has touch controls in all the menus, not sure if that's the norm on the console but it's a nice detail.

Y my friend. Use Y to accelerate.
But Y do that. (Sorry)

Do I ever need to let go of the gas? (Serious question, I'm new to this) I can just brake if I need to slow down in auto-gas mode.

This game pauses if you touch the screen and it has touch controls in all the menus, not sure if that's the norm on the console but it's a nice detail.

But Y do that. (Sorry)

Do I ever need to let go of the gas? (Serious question, I'm new to this) I can just brake if I need to slow down in auto-gas mode.

It's just that a lot of people find A uncomfortable, whereas Y is much more comfortable. But I guess auto-accelerate makes it all moot?

This game has given me large expectations for Mario Odyssey in the visuals department. I expect something that looks DIVINE on this machine!

WoolyNinja

This game sold me on HD rumble.

Feeling the rotation of the tires at the start of the race holy shit.

Agreed - new switch owner and the rumble is definitely different than any other. Reminds me of a mix between the rumble in like a XboxOne/PS4 controller combined with the haptic feedback in a Steam controller.

Is there a stat that affects the power of boosts, such as speed or weight? Or perhaps does letting go of the acceleration right before you hit the boost makes it more powerful as it does in Diddy Kong Racing?

Top Bottom