• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

I got lit up so badly in 100cc o_O that is what I get for Skipping Mario Kart games for 10 years

might as well go online now since I suck

how do I get to the GAF lobby

oatmeal

Banned
how do i unlock the characters?

Get coins...every 50 unlocks stuff.

I think you need 10 coins in the race before they start counting to your total (you'll notice they collect differently with an orange spark)

I think.

I unlocked the Mii and I've switched to that!

Copenap

Got all Time Trial stamps for the new tracks. Some very nice stamps to get here, I especially like the one for Bowser's Castle. Overall Time Trial seems to be a downgrade from MK7 and especially from MK Wii, though. But I have to play some more to see if there aren't some things I didn't notice yet.

Back to online mode.
Ohoh

Can you filter MKTV to just show friends' uploads? I'm not seeing anything like that, however it's possible no friends have uploaded anything yet (only one that I know of has alraedy played the game).
I think there is a friends page next to global. It may be they have not uploaded since you do need a Google account to post videos. Have not seen anyway to share without uploading to YT. I got a chance to upload one video at lunch. Hoping to upload some more to my Gaming channel.

9 hour work shift today.
9 hour work shift Saturday.
9 hour work shift Sunday.

😢😢😢

Hey, just a random question.

Can you unlock stuff by doing the cups with another human player?

Two hours in and I already consider this an online only Mario Kart game. Fucking hell. For as much as I heard about the item re-balance IT SURE AS FUCK DOESN'T SHOW AGAINST CPUS

Literally every. single. race. in single player I've had so far starts off innocently enough and like clockwork as soon as I hit that third lap ITS GO TIME and everyone becomes fucking Green Shell snipers and gets all the items I haven't seen once since I started the god damn game up

Fuckin Mario Kart man, I'm pissed. I'm gonna let friends and family handle the GPs because I'm a completionist but I'm not gonna subject myself to this horseshit. From my limited experience the item balance is worse than ever. I hope to be proven wrong over time.

cluderi

Loving it so far, got my boy Toad setup with the old school racing car, wooden wheels and a squirrel glider. Uploading highlights is painful with a bad net connection but I can't help myself.

Think it is just finishing a cup unlocks stuff. Playing a cup with other players does not change anything. You have to get 1st with a character to get their stamp though and coins unlock parts. Not sure if each player's coins adds to the total or not, someone else will have to confirm that for me.

Edit: Is the standard version of the game Blue? My pre-order is Red. It looks sweet.

oatmeal

Banned
One of the hardest parts about the item balancing is that when you're in the middle of the pack, you get a lot of 'near proximity weapons'...this is bad because you will hit someone, and then everyone piles on that person since they all have weapons and that person is sort of locked in there as they try to get going.

If you're obviously going to be targeted by a lot, but when your'e in the middle it's hard to make up space when you're getting a green shell and everyone else has a red's.

I hope that people start doing less items online.

9 hour work shift today.
9 hour work shift Saturday.
9 hour work shift Sunday.

😢😢😢

Just played 2 grand prix with my 4 year old daughter, we unlocked things yes.

corn_fest

Yeah now that it's so easy to unlock everything, I think this might be an online-only title for me as well. I've had quite enough of the 150cc CPU's bullshit already.

B00TE

Man, that feeling when you get blue shelled near the end, in 1st but far enough ahead that you can still just barely eke out the win. WOO!

corn_fest

But seriously, why is the item distribution so bad. First couple of places, it's coin city, and then even in the back of the pack you'll be getting single shells and mushrooms.

Killer

Banned
Get coins...every 50 unlocks stuff.

I think you need 10 coins in the race before they start counting to your total (you'll notice they collect differently with an orange spark)

I think.

I unlocked the Mii and I've switched to that!

Oh good. I thought i had to get Gold trophy in 150cc. I only unlocked Lemmy so far.

Yeah now that it's so easy to unlock everything, I think this might be an online-only title for me as well. I've had quite enough of the 150cc CPU's bullshit already.

Two hours in and I already consider this an online only Mario Kart game. Fucking hell. For as much as I heard about the item re-balance IT SURE AS FUCK DOESN'T SHOW AGAINST CPUS

Literally every. single. race. in single player I've had so far starts off innocently enough and like clockwork as soon as I hit that third lap ITS GO TIME and everyone becomes fucking Green Shell snipers and gets all the items I haven't seen once since I started the god damn game up

Fuckin Mario Kart man, I'm pissed. I'm gonna let friends and family handle the GPs because I'm a completionist but I'm not gonna subject myself to this horseshit. From my limited experience the item balance is worse than ever. I hope to be proven wrong over time.
If you play smartly, it's easy to stay at the front of the pack, just like in MK7. Just get up there fast and use defensive items. Even in the worst scenario (blue shell) you should be able to get back up. It sounds like you guys are just bad at the game.

I played my very first cup in 150cc and got three stars on the first try. It's not hard.

I see the Coin item as the main offender. I hope it's shitcanned in the next game like the Thundercloud and Tanooki Tail were in MK Wii and 7.

Top Bottom