• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Dizzy

Banned
My gamepad keeps changing to tilt control mid race. Does anyone know how this is happening? Its really annoying.

Im not touching the touchscreen and even then its on the minimap status so it cant change even if I touched it.

I remember, in the N64 days, when I was actually good at MK...now I'm so bad at it :D
Well at least I'm not playing for 1st place so I'm having fun even if I stay in the latter half of the results each time.

So was racing online with someone named vicci, a blue shell passed both of us while he was in first. Then the shell made a 180 and hit him on the front wheel. Best attack ever. Made me win the race

iba4WDa1LLa8CE.gif

Made the video into a GIF, though the dubstep really makes this lol

Doorman

Yeah I'm not sure I like this whole "red shells can now fly through the air" feature. I'm three for three today getting nailed during the gliding section of Royal Raceway and that just feels wrong.

How do you upload vids to miiverse and youtube? I hit the share highlight button and it says I need a Google Account but then nothing pops up for me to sign into?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
How do you upload vids to miiverse and youtube? I hit the share highlight button and it says I need a Google Account but then nothing pops up for me to sign into?

Look on your Gamepad.

A bit related, Youtube uploads keep failing for me. I only have .6Mbps upload and there's probably some kind of timer in the game that cuts you off if your uploads take too long :|

So this is my first Mario Kart game and I am not getting what the stars next to the trophies in Grand prix mean. What am I doing to earn them? Also, is it just me or is it hard to notice if you have a bronze or gold trophy?

Another question I have is....how does the CPU put items on the back of the kart?

Theorymon

It's a racing game, so yes, you want to be in first :)

But seriously, getting out in first early is the easiest way to win races online, as 'the pack' behind you will all kill each other with item chaos while you sail onwards, untroubled.

When in first, always be trailing an item behind you. If you can't do that, get rid of whatever you have and try to get a defensive item.

As for karts, if you find that you're not winning a lot, so you're in the middle of the pack a lot and getting hit then go for a lighter character with a lot of acceleration, or a middleweight character but with acceleration based parts. (Press + on the part select screen to see in real time the change to your stats.)

If you're a good racer (you do a lot of time trials etc) then you might want to do what I do and pick a heavy racer with high speed and try to get out in front early. If you do this and get stuck in the pack you are fucked, no two ways about it. But it's a good way to win races, and I've had plenty of success.

My favourite setup is Roy (for good speed) with the pipe-frame kart, roller wheels (the aqua ones) and an acceleration based glider (the clouds). Give me good speed and good acceleration.

One of my friends from another site saw this post and wanted to correct some things on it. He seems to be a Mario Kart expert so I'm gonna post his opinion (I myself am still learning the ropes here, I've just been messing around with GP and Battle Mode lol)

what my friend said said:
Hey, I'm not sure if you were aware or not, but just want to point out that Roy + Pipe Frame + Cloud Glider's extra 0.75 acceleration is wasted because of how acceleration works in this game.

There are acceleration tiers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5.25, 5.5, 5.75.

1 acceleration is no different from 1.75, 2 acceleration is no different from 2.75, and so on and so forth.

For whatever it's worth, the highest speed you can possibly have with 3 acceleration is Bowser/Wario/Morton + speed increasing kart + some variant of Roller wheels + acceleration increasing behind you.

Also warning about trailing an item behind you: it'll be destroyed by Spiny Shells. That said, until you're very confident in your item awareness skills, it's better to always trail an item behind you for security against 'random' green shells.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So this is my first Mario Kart game and I am not getting what the stars next to the trophies in Grand prix mean. What am I doing to earn them? Also, is it just me or is it hard to notice if you have a bronze or gold trophy?

Another question I have is....how does the CPU put items on the back of the kart?
Stars are determined by how many points you accumulated during the Prix; trophy for placement. Hold the item button to hold it behind you.

Top Bottom