• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario + Rabbids Chief Davide Soliani Leaves Ubisoft After 25 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Davide Soliani, who spearheaded the successful Mario + Rabbids series of games, has left Ubisoft after 25 years.

In a social media post, the former Ubisoft Milan creative director said he had left the company “to embark on a new adventure,” but failed to say what’s next.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is an enormously successful Nintendo Switch exclusive that fused Nintendo's Mario and Ubisoft's Rabbids franchises in turn-based tactics gameplay. The 2017 game would eventually be played by over 10 million people, Ubisoft said.

Kingdom Battle’s successor, fellow Switch exclusive Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope, performed less well upon its 2022 launch. Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot later revealed his regret at launching the game on the Switch instead of holding it back for the console’s successor, saying Sparks of Hope would have likely performed better if it had not released on the same platform as the first game, given they offer similar gameplay experiences.

"We had already released a Mario Rabbids game [on Switch], so by doing another we had two similar experiences on one machine," Guillemot told GI.biz.

"On Nintendo, games like this never die. There are 25 Mario games on Switch. Nintendo [has advised] that it's better to do one iteration on each machine," Guillemot continued. "We were a bit too early, we should have waited for [the next console].

"Because you could play a great game. And we think it will last for 10 years, because we will update it for the new machine that will come in the future."

Ubisoft Milan, which is currently supporting the development of other Ubisoft games, such as Massive Entertainment’s Star Wars: Outlaws, waved goodbye to Soliani in a series of tweets.

Source - IGN & Twitter.

KXVXII9X

I remember how big the Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle reveal was. It was such a fresh idea that worked very well. I am even enjoying Sparks of Hope and the changes there. Sad to see him go but I think he will be a great asset to any team he joins.

ultrazilla

Easily makes my list of "killer apps" for the Nintendo Switch. Still holds up incredibly well all these years
later. I wish him nothing but success and hope he we'll see his work again on the upcoming Switch 2(besides the just announced updated Sparks of Hope from Ubi).

Robb

Gold Member
I wish him luck, not that I think he needs it. Seems like a very humble and passionate guy.

These were not my kind of games but I still remember the reveal of the first game and it really did seem like he was fulfilling a lifelong dream getting to work directly with Miyamoto and Nintendo to make this collaboration happen. Was cool to see.

Last edited:

Hudo

Why is this a thread? Well, because for one, I enjoyed his games. And more importantly: He was the only guy left at Ubisoft whom I trusted to make a new bona fide Rayman game. That dream is dead as well.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Mario + Rabbits the ONLY games I enjoyed from Ubisoft, I hope he finds better place for his talent.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Already posted and with more info. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Mario Rabbids (first one) was a surprise gem.

The wife bought it on sale ages ago because it had Mario on the cover, and I initially thought "oh it's not first-party, it's Ubisoft, so this will suck." But watched the son play through a bit of it, and then... realized it's actually a fantastic tactical game wrapped in high production value. Started my own file and enjoyed every minute.

Hudo

Already posted and with more info. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Right. Apologies.

Off you go, lads. The party's over yonder.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Hopefully the next we hear from him, he'll be heading a new Nintendo owned studio in Europe.

Nintendo could use a European studio and there's no one more perfect to lead it than Soliani.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m betting Nintendo snatched him up, especially with how much he worked with them and him not being able to say much.
Oh snap, I bet you’re right.

The only thing that would make Mario + Rabbids better is Mario - Rabbids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom