• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Gonna have to quit early tonight. Performance just seems to be horrible lately. Hell, pre-launch when chasing Venom with about 40 people on his butt it got a bit choppy but nothing as bad as it has been tonight anywhere in the Savage Land or Xavier's mansion.

Yeah, performance was kinda bad for me as well. Granted, I have an older laptop with a dedicated mobile GPU, but the specs didnt look that bad

Trying to talk to Forge is the absolute worst. It's damn near unplayable.

Lots of people seem to cram around the crafting NPC. My frame rate always has huge drops when I'm walking around there.

For me the problems were with event bosses. I was playing near the docks and had multiple instances of Venom, and a Rhino show up. Then a vendor in that area started freaking out and ran away! I could see him on the map, and catch up to him. But it would let me sell my items or buy his items

SRTtoZ

Ive been hating on this game for its crappy UI and all but its pretty fun. Hulk is a beast! I mean in the game of course! I want that Avengers costume so bad since its one of the best looking hulks but I'm hard pressed to drop that much money for it. Anyway I'm level 8 so if theres anyone around that level-ish we can always group up. SRTtoZ in game.

Also, holy shit. Iron Man with that Mark 6 costume is sick looking...

wut. Theres no way to preview characters? The hell.

Which are fun atm? Which are broken? Which are weak shit?

I know Im posting a ton, but Im digging this game! Im playing as Scarlet Which and shes fun.

Right now my Scarlet which has:

3 different magic missiles: The regular one that just does damage, an upgraded version the regular one that makes the enemy take more magic damage, and another magic missile that stuns but still does damage

1 AOE attack: Its does fire damage

2 Buffs: The first one buffs her attacks and the second one debuffs damage being dealt

If you want a magic user, who soley uses projectiles, and has stuff that can buff and debuff then I think you will like her. Those are the reasons why I like her

Mupod

Holy christ what the hell at daily mission Doom. RR/Thing duo took us like 20 minutes to beat down his second phase and he probably instagibbed my friend 30+ times and me about 12.

Can't use my summons because he heals off them faster than I can do damage, and without them my damage isn't amazing. I don't see how melee characters are supposed to do anything.

Veggy

For people asking which starting hero is the best, I'll give you my experiences so far as a lvl 20 Storm

She's a little slow to get going, but she has a LOT of Crowd Control and Area of Effect abilities. She can also learn to fly which helps with getting around, also has a dash type ability. So far she's been a beast when it comes to solo grinding

I got really lucky and one of the bosses dropped a Storm skin (the classic white one), now if only a boss would drop Wolverine or Hulk :p

hitmon

I'm digging this game more than I expected. Is there any penalty for dying? I died a bunch against some recent bosses..

Beepos

I have limited time to only play one ARPG guys - help me!

Marvel Heroes, Path of Exile open beta or Grim Dawn alpha. I'd like to make one of these games my go to action role-player as I'm very time poor.

Just put down some money on Marvel - so far so good though, though feels basic to other ARPGs.. even Diablo 3.
The items seem to have pretty boring bonuses and feel simple in terms of mods you can get (mind you I'm on level 5 so let me know if it gets better). The skill trees seem pretty random as well and lacking - I know there is many more heroes to design so your not going to 30+ skills per character, but it feels there is a lack of cohesion between them. I also find it strange that some skill trees have like 4 skills and others 8 - are they adding skills for existing heroes in the future?
The pseudo-MMO stuff is bonus though - I like randomly joining up with people to do stuff/

PoE has amazing customisation with its super passive tree map, though I dislike the lack of classes and unique class skills (your choice really just allows you to get different passive traits at different levels) The gem system allows for some interesting combinations and offers a lot choice yet feels generic to me. The unique items in PoE do seem very awesome though, enough to make custom builds out of them.

I haven't played Grim Dawn though it does look awesome with setting, unique skills/classes and good loot - though I don't want to spend 50 bucks for 10 hours of gameplay if PoE is superior (I already am beta for it).

Of course the games all at different levels of development but anyone with experience in all of them I would love to here your opinions.

I'm digging this game more than I expected. Is there any penalty for dying? I died a bunch against some recent bosses..

There's a vendor that sells artifacts (Clea), and the power of these artifacts has a lower percentage based on the amount of deaths you took.
Otherwise, there's no penalty.

Anyone know what extra content will be added in the future?

besides more heroes to play of course.

Well, other than more heroes and costumes for them, it's very likely we'll eventually see more story content; the game's story ends in a cliffhanger, and a lot of the classic baddies haven't rolled out yet.

7wz6a6M.jpg

Cant believe got a drop so early

Loving the working together in the city, but I followed them into dungeon and all vanished.. which more of the game was coop without grouping.

Anyone know what extra content will be added in the future?

besides more heroes to play of course.

Wouldn't be surprised if they ran the current "uncanny" story line as a expansion (which is pretty awesome).

Jtrizzy

Has anyone created a gaf steam group yet? I didn't see one in the op. Do you have to add people separately in game too?

Im about level 15 now. God know how many hours Ive put in.

ZERO character drops

ZERO outfit drops

lol. I guess its the possibility of getting something that drives me onwards.
Ideally, I'd like

1. Marvel Girl
2. Cable
3. Punisher

All those guys have some awesome looking outfits. Even that stupid raccoon looks pretty cool, with all his guns 'n stuff.

vazel

Banned
I'm The Thing and this is fun but I wanna play as Reed Richards so I can form into a bouncing ball. I also want to play as Sue Storm so I can turn invisible and run around my enemies while slapping them in the head.

Sblargh

Banned
"More heroes" doesn't convey exactly what I think this game needs. That is to say, I think it need 100 characters or so. It needs MOBA number of characters.

Hurley

Okay so my steam has just downloaded two 400mb updates in the last hour and a half, has anyone else's done that? I tried looking and can't seem to find any patch notes, if it was a patch that is.

Man sometimes this game can screw you on a Diablo 3 level. Was trying to get through the last daily for the first time and the boss's third form had the healing prefix. Nope.

Yeah there are honestly way too many problems with the business model in my opinion.
Hell, I would be more willing to forgive the pricing if it were possible to at least try out characters once or twice.

Most other F2P games realize that people like to know what they are buying into. This is why you have trial unlocks on Planetside 2 and Trial mechs on MWO(altho that setup has its own less critical problems...)

RS4-

I know Im posting a ton, but Im digging this game! Im playing as Scarlet Which and shes fun.

Right now my Scarlet which has:

3 different magic missiles: The regular one that just does damage, an upgraded version the regular one that makes the enemy take more magic damage, and another magic missile that stuns but still does damage

1 AOE attack: Its does fire damage

2 Buffs: The first one buffs her attacks and the second one debuffs damage being dealt

If you want a magic user, who soley uses projectiles, and has stuff that can buff and debuff then I think you will like her. Those are the reasons why I like her

Speaking of magic missile, is there any reason why I should keep on using the first one if I've already unlocked the second one? No right?

And count me in with those that are level 15+ with no hero drops yet lol.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm level 27 with no hero or costume drops, so no complaining allowed.

Also, is there a written list of quests that yield rewards? I have a few in 7 that I never finished (that stupid bug quest for example), and I would like to wrap them all up while doing daily challenges tonight.

Picked 'The Thing' and got Storm as my tutorial character 'drop'. Enjoying this so far, but have a few issues mainly the way that everyone is crammed into the main maps.

Also was thrown into a random group to face Doc Oc, and everyone was already at the boss. Seemingly there's a teleport feature, but wasn't too happy on skipping potential clobbering time.

Dunlop

My performance went down the crapper with that last patch.
I wish the game would auto adjust the graphic settings depending how many people are nearby

smr00

Banned
Anyone playing with all the sound on mute yet still get odd sounds? I had everything muted the other day while listening to music and podcast but whenever i would enter like dungeons and stuff i could hear these sounds and it was driving me nuts.

RPGCrazied

Is there a patch? Why is the game downloading something? All it says is Pre-Install? Its not trying to download the client again over the fully downloaded client? Ugh.

Anyone playing with all the sound on mute yet still get odd sounds? I had everything muted the other day while listening to music and podcast but whenever i would enter like dungeons and stuff i could hear these sounds and it was driving me nuts.

Alt-tab and mute the game from your desktop?

7wz6a6M.jpg

Cant believe got a drop so early

Loving the working together in the city, but I followed them into dungeon and all vanished.. which more of the game was coop without grouping.

Wouldn't be surprised if they ran the current "uncanny" story line as a expansion (which is pretty awesome).

Yeah, I got Scarlet Witch after my first mission.

Now that I've purchased Ms. Marvel, I kind of wish I would have just stuck with Hawkeye.

My one gripe with this game so far is that it isn't TV friendly.

Lord Phol

Now that I've purchased Ms. Marvel, I kind of wish I would have just stuck with Hawkeye.

How do you mean? I'm playing it fine on my HD-screen just like every other game.

RPGCrazied

Everyone gets a 2nd hero from a quest. I got daredevil. I'm still rocking my level 13 hawkeye. Haven't seen a hero drop yet. I guess that is from later bosses, does dr. doom drop heros?

Bizazedo

Everyone gets a 2nd hero from a quest. I got daredevil. I'm still rocking my level 13 hawkeye. Haven't seen a hero drop yet. I guess that is from later bosses, does dr. doom drop heros?

I've heard you can get a 3rd from completing the storyline, but it's still drawn from the original 5 "free" heroes.

Other'n that, treat it like Diablo, grind grind grind.

Or get out the wallet.

Anyone have any idea why the game is asking me to download the latest patch to connect to the game server? I've literally just downloaded a patch through Steam and it's still saying that exact same thing.

How do you mean? I'm playing it fine on my HD-screen just like every other game.

I'm finding the text to be quite small. Can't find a way to make it larger. I generally like to bump up the UI to a larger size on MMO/Strategy games. Playing on my 47" Samsung. :/

Just play the heroes you like. Characters get changed all the time anyways.

And would be hard to preview characters, many change dramatically as you level and there are many different builds you can make with them.

I've heard you can get a 3rd from completing the storyline, but it's still drawn from the original 5 "free" heroes.

Other'n that, treat it like Diablo, grind grind grind.

Or get out the wallet.

Someone told me the 3rd from the last chapter was a random selection of everything, but mine was a starter hero so I can't verify that. Anyway currently sitting at 31 hours with 2 non-starter hero drops and 1 costume drop.

The drop rates seem fairly reasonable to me so far. It's not like they are going to drop a hero per hour or no one would ever buy anything.

The costume costs seem pretty ridiculous though.

I'm finding the text to be quite small. Can't find a way to make it larger. I generally like to bump up the UI to a larger size on MMO/Strategy games. Playing on my 47" Samsung. :/
I have the same issue. What I do is play at 1280x720. The text is far more managable this way. Although, I do tend to switch to 1080 when crafting for access to both inventory and stash at the same time.

Im about level 15 now. God know how many hours Ive put in.

ZERO character drops

ZERO outfit drops

lol. I guess its the possibility of getting something that drives me onwards.
Ideally, I'd like

1. Marvel Girl
2. Cable
3. Punisher

All those guys have some awesome looking outfits. Even that stupid raccoon looks pretty cool, with all his guns 'n stuff.
You can get to level 15 in a couple days of playing a few hours each, so expect to grind more to find those rare drops. I like that they're not being handed out like candy. Like you said, it gives us goals.

I just played a bit. It is way more solid than in the beta.

I'm enjoying a lot now!
I seriously didn't expect this at all. It's so much more polished and just plain better with seemingly much higher production values than in the beta from 6 months ago or whatever it was when I played. Yes, 6 months is a long time but still, how often do you see this happen? Usually a beta's quality in terms of production values are about what to expect in the final, but I guess this was one of those rare 'legit betas'.

Anyway, first thing I thought of when waking up this morning... MAHVEL HEROES!! Love that feeling

Just play the heroes you like. Characters get changed all the time anyways.

And would be hard to preview characters, many change dramatically as you level and there are many different builds you can make with them.

That is true but there are very very easy ways around that.
I personally like the way MWO handles it.

They switch out what are standard but easy to use builds of mechs with no ability to customize.
The point is to just give them a taste of what you can build.

For Marvel heroes I would set it up as something that unlocks from a character in one of the HQs around level 10-15. Just set a standard build for each character at lvl 10-15 and allow them to try that out. Hell at this point is there even a legit way to SEE the skill trees for the characters? I might have missed it on the site or somewhere in the UI.

For example you run into Franklin Richards who randomly warps reality because he's Franklin Richards and turns you into a Lvl 10 Iron Man for an hour. Set it on a really long cooldown so it can't just be gamed. I think Planetside 2 sets the Trial unlocks at something like 30 days for each weapon and the unlock ability itself is on a 24hr timer. Same could work in this situation IMO.

I have to admit I am really wary about buying into a character without being able to test them. Especially a pricey one like Iron Man.

I feel like they are kind of falling on their face with the business model. It is very important to come up with clever ways to tease and convince players to spend money...

Mulberry

Perhaps for trying out Heroes they could use the Blacklight model and let you rent a Hero for a small fee or in-game currency? Or set up a Danger Room where you can use a pre-configured Hero for ten minutes against robots or target dummies.

Top Bottom