• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

I have limited time to only play one ARPG guys - help me!

Marvel Heroes, Path of Exile open beta or Grim Dawn alpha. I'd like to make one of these games my go to action role-player as I'm very time poor.

Just put down some money on Marvel - so far so good though, though feels basic to other ARPGs.. even Diablo 3.
The items seem to have pretty boring bonuses and feel simple in terms of mods you can get (mind you I'm on level 5 so let me know if it gets better). The skill trees seem pretty random as well and lacking - I know there is many more heroes to design so your not going to 30+ skills per character, but it feels there is a lack of cohesion between them. I also find it strange that some skill trees have like 4 skills and others 8 - are they adding skills for existing heroes in the future?
The pseudo-MMO stuff is bonus though - I like randomly joining up with people to do stuff/

PoE has amazing customisation with its super passive tree map, though I dislike the lack of classes and unique class skills (your choice really just allows you to get different passive traits at different levels) The gem system allows for some interesting combinations and offers a lot choice yet feels generic to me. The unique items in PoE do seem very awesome though, enough to make custom builds out of them.

I haven't played Grim Dawn though it does look awesome with setting, unique skills/classes and good loot - though I don't want to spend 50 bucks for 10 hours of gameplay if PoE is superior (I already am beta for it).

Of course the games all at different levels of development but anyone with experience in all of them I would love to here your opinions.

I really don't think that Marvel Heroes has the longevity of Path of exile. The way path of exile is designed lends itself a lot better to a go-to game. From what I understand Marvel Heroes end game really isn't all that great.

Finished the first episode. Really, really cool game. I also love that animated intro.

And it keeps getting better and better as you unlock more powers and most importantly all the varied environments and settings, like completely different settings one after the other. Fantastic.

I really don't think that Marvel Heroes has the longevity of Path of exile. The way path of exile is designed lends itself a lot better to a go-to game. From what I understand Marvel Heroes end game really isn't all that great.
PoE's map system has gotten so many complaints on the official forum it's insane. Mountains of threads about map drop rates and general tedium.

So I'm on the second to last chapter (I started playing yesterday). I really can't see anything in this game that will keep me playing after I beat the campaign with one character. I'll be done with it probably at the 10 hour play mark. There is almost no replay value that I can see at all. It's been a shallow but fun Diablo clone, but no good endgame content means I will not be returning. I'm not going to buy another hero to play through the exact same content. I guess I'll wait and see what it's like in a year. Star Trek Online was abysmal when it was first released.

P.S. I still can't believe they don't have a sort inventory button.

Mupod

There's no shame in it either. If Rocket Raccoon's costumes weren't so boring, I'd buy some. As it stands, you can barely tell the difference.

Also, I sort I regret not buying the UP. :(

I like Rocket's default costume the most by far so I don't see myself ever bothering with the other ones. I have the Marvel NOW one but its ugly.

RPGCrazied

So I finally get AA to work, but most objects have this weird outline to them. Anyone else have this problem? I have an ATI Radeon 5770 HD.

Tecl0n

Is performance wonky? I seem to have to go to medium on a 6870 to get 60. (This is not counting event battle where's there so many stuff going on)

Downloaded last night, but my PC just goes straight to a black screen when I boot it up and does nothing else.

I meet the minimum requirements (barely), but maybe it's a video driver issue or something..?

antonz

Compensation is fantastic. Pets sell for an average of 1000-1200G so that's like 10-12 dollars free plus the currency. Figure ill buy tab slots with mine. Unique Pet to boot too

GManDH

i dont know if someone already posted this but i had to skip a couple of pages....has anyone gotten to endgame with Hawkeye??

SRTtoZ

What was the purpose of making this an MMO?

I'm still trying to figure that out. I like the game so far because I'm a huge Marvel whore (and own Marvel statues) but being always connected to people doesnt make much sense. I hate that I cant pause the game like in Diablo 3 but I guess thats one of the shitty things about making this a subtle MMO. Also, is there general chat or anything? Can items be traded? I honestly dont know anything about those things since I just signed up yesterday.

Also, I hate how they price the best characters for the most money. I mean dont get me wrong, Cable and Cyclops are cool but Iron Man, Spidey and Deadpool easily have the best character designs with some of the best costumes. Ive been having fun with Hulk up to lvl 15 but Ive been eyeing Iron Man with a Mark6 suit for a few hours now...Its just so damn sexy.

RedBoot

Seems cool so far. Needs a bigger roster, though. Seems like a tiny selection compared to Ultimate Alliance.

UA1: 25 characters, plus 8 more as DLC down the road.
UA2: 23 characters, plus a few console exclusives depending on platform.
MH: 21, plus 5 more coming soon.

It's not so bad, and this game has the potential to have a lot more in time. Maybe it just seems like less since you don't get access to everyone automatically?

I'm still trying to figure that out. I like the game so far because I'm a huge Marvel whore (and own Marvel statues) but being always connected to people doesnt make much sense. I hate that I cant pause the game like in Diablo 3 but I guess thats one of the shitty things about making this a subtle MMO. Also, is there general chat or anything? Can items be traded? I honestly dont know anything about those things since I just signed up yesterday.

Most people prefer to play these kinds of games Co-op. Everytime talks about Dablo 2 to me they have to mention co-op. Look at Torchlight, the lack of co-op was everyone's main complaint. The charcters in this game are built to be an RPG party as well. Some heros are tanks, magic users, rouges, etc. So in my head the devs said well instead of making this co-op feature just a match making thing lets open it up a bit more

smr00

Banned
Anyone think there is a chance we would ever get a "Marvel Villains" expansion? Like City of Villains? Like add a starting roster that has their own like 8 chapter experience where you fight hero AI and meet up in PVP? Or maybe do a Civil War type expansion that will allow more then just antihero characters?

FYC

Banned
Anyone think there is a chance we would ever get a "Marvel Villains" expansion? Like City of Villains? Like add a starting roster that has their own like 8 chapter experience where you fight hero AI and meet up in PVP? Or maybe do a Civil War type expansion that will allow more then just antihero characters?

My brother was just talking about this, it would be awesome. I loved City of Villains as well.

*Nostalgiaaaaaa*

I understand your perspective but it's a lot bigger in comparison to D3/Any Action RPG.

UA1: 25 characters, plus 8 more as DLC down the road.
UA2: 23 characters, plus a few console exclusives depending on platform.
MH: 21, plus 5 more coming soon.

It's not so bad, and this game has the potential to have a lot more in time. Maybe it just seems like less since you don't get access to everyone automatically?

Yeah. I guess when I played Ultimate Alliance I had all the DLC, so the roster seemed huge. I want my Human Torch and Ghost Rider, though I'm sure everyone has there couple characters they'd like to see.

I hope they keep supporting it and keep adding characters. Hope they add a good handful at a time so you don't see a billion of the same character when everyone is just playing the new guy.

smr00

Banned
So is the pet we are getting for compensation going to be a completely new pet? Or one of the 3 current ones?

If it's a completely new one i hope it's Throg
frogthor.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Gonna do dailies in about 45-60 minutes if anyone wants to join up. Nicoga in game.

Also, I'm now very intrigued by Ultimate Aliance...

Wanchan

I've started this afternoon (EU) and i'm a lvl 21 Deadpool, enjoying the game so far...just looted my first costume core and i'm not even sure how to use it haha.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm on my level 10 Daredevil now, account is Anoregon.

Varna

Wow. Fuck this game haha.

Finally got a costume drop... It's my default one!

Why the fuck does this thing even need a slot? It's just what you wear by default when the slot is empty anyhow.

Anything I can do with it? It's for Scarlet Witch.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Wow. Fuck this game haha.

Finally got a costume drop... It's my default one!

Why the fuck does this thing even need a slot? It's just what you wear by default when the slot is empty anyhow.

Anything I can do with it? It's for Scarlet Witch.

You can affix offensive and defensive traits, as well as cosmetic ones to all costumes. Duplicate costumes mean you can have a second set of affixes.

how is it? is it a lot different then beginning levels? is the gear a lot better? is the green cloud arrow good, is the explosive arrow good?? questions questions.

I didn't really find really good gear until I started the daily stuff, got some real good drops in there. Leveling was fun for me. I was grouped 90% of the time with a friend playing Cap. America. I find him fun to play when I have a buddy or two around so I can focus on dps, when soloing you have focus on staying alive. Hawkeye is pretty squishy, or at least he is the way I have him geared/speced. I found green could/taser arrows to be a good combo. Ice arrow if you want single target. Nullifier became really useful when doing the daily/challenge bosses. I didn't like explosive arrow, dmg kinda lackluster.

there's also a recipe in lvl 20 crafter that can change costumes that u have into ones u don't

Level 20 crafting? Geeze. Hard enough to get it to 6 let alone 20.

My current heroes in no particular order:
Colossus: 11
Wolverine: 16
Rocket Raccoon: 13
Deadpool: 16

All are a blast to play for different reasons.

My current heroes in no particular order:

Colossus: 11
Wolverine: 16
Rocket Raccoon: 13
Deadpool: 16

Are you guys spending money on that, or do they drop commonly enough? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep playing. If I'm pretty much stuck with my two starters unless I want to spend $10-20, I'm out.

Varna

Are you guys spending money on that, or do they drop commonly enough? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep playing. If I'm pretty much stuck with my two starters unless I want to spend $10-20, I'm out.

LOL

Nope.

I've only seen pics of people finding starters and some of the lower priced heroes as drops as well.

Top Bottom