• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Roto13

Tried it out. Basically free-to-play Ultimate Alliance with ridiculous DLC costs. $20 for Spider-Man? Ha, how about no.

Those $80+ packs are just plain hilarious.

LOL

Nope.

I've only seen pics of people finding starters and some of the lower priced heroes as drops as well.

Alright then, uninstalling it is. Too bad, I loved Ultimate Alliance, and I'm well into Chapter 1 now and finding it enjoyable. But, those costs are just insane. At $2-3 I'd buy a ton of characters, at $5 I'd buy a few, at $10-20 they can fuck right off. Insanity.

Someone make a new thread if they ever drop their prices, 'cause like I said, seems cool. Just too much for me.

Roto13

I can potentially see myself spending the $9 on Ms. Marvel since she's one of the cheapest non-starter characters and she's the one I would want to buy anyway. We'll see.

GManDH

all you guys that complain, would you really have complained if you were to have gotten the packs before the game released??

just getting a blank screen when i try entering the store.

That's not how f2p is suppose to work. Store should always be online even when game isn't not other away around! D:

all you guys that complain, would you really have complained if you were to have gotten the packs before the game released??

I know nothing about these packs you speak of.

If they were cheap packs with characters or something, you are essentially asking me if I would be complaining about the costs if it was cheaper, which of course the answer to that question is no.

just getting a blank screen when i try entering the store.

That's not how f2p is suppose to work. Store should always be online even when game isn't not other away around! D:

It was loading up for me lightning fast. They must not want your money for some reason.

GManDH

I know nothing about these packs you speak of.

If they were cheap packs with characters or something, you are essentially asking me if I would be complaining about the costs if it was cheaper, which of course the answer to that question is no.

It was loading up for me lightning fast. They must not want your money for some reason.

started at $20 for a character with all the costumes. or $60 for several characters or $200 for ALL characters.

Roto13

The fact that one of those four-character packs with costumes and fortune cards costs more than a brand new retail game (including day-one DLC) is pretty absurd.

GManDH

The fact that one of those four-character packs with costumes and fortune cards costs more than a brand new retail game (including day-one DLC) is pretty absurd.

the value is what matters. ill admit i got the ultimate pack. between the 100 hour game play plus the fact that i have 22 characters. so 22 times 100 i think im set till the next pack and then ill have more characters. Ferny, thanks!

Ferny

How is it absurd? To some people this is worth more than one of those retail games. Them buying one of those packs for $60 and spending 100-150 hours on this may mean more to those people. Just because it's on a disc at a Best Buy doesn't really mean anything.

started at $20 for a character with all the costumes. or $60 for several characters or $200 for ALL characters.

To me, $60 for all current characters would have been convincingly fair (not sure I would have spent it, but it would make sense). I could rationalize that that $60 was essentially me buying a game, fair enough.

$20 for a single character is still too much to me, no matter how many costumes they include (especially since most people probably want one costume anyway). And fuck no at $200 for all characters. I have never, and will never, spend that much money on a game.

I'm willing to bet money prices come down within 6-8 months when there is just about nobody playing. We'll see, I guess.

How is it absurd? To some people this is worth more than one of those retail games. Them buying one of those packs for $60 and spending 100-150 hours on this may mean more to those people. Just because it's on a disc at a Best Buy doesn't really mean anything.

To be clear, I'm just talking about to me. Obviously I can't tell you how you should view somethings value, and I wouldn't think you were crazy if you spent $1,000 on some game you liked. I'm just saying it's too much for me.

Roto13

the value is what matters.

That's not a good value.

Those packs aren't $60, they're $80 or more. And it's entirely possible to spend more time with a more reasonably priced game. And more likely, since this one isn't that fun.

And just when I wanna impulse buy me iron man and a costume.

I guess I won't play this tonight!

1024x576.resizedimage

Are you guys spending money on that, or do they drop commonly enough? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep playing. If I'm pretty much stuck with my two starters unless I want to spend $10-20, I'm out.

I bought the Xforce pack when it was 10% off, so for about $53 I got 4 dudes, costumes and a buncha G's. Was a pretty good deal in my opinion.

And just when I wanna impulse buy me iron man and a costume.

I guess I won't play this tonight!

1024x576.resizedimage

Yeah I was actually going to pick up Cable or Cyclops last night and ran into that last night. Surprised it is still happening 8 hours later... Tried to check their official site to see if there was an online shop there and of course there isn't.

I know bugs are to be expected but allowing one through that basically gimps your entire revenue stream? Yeaaaahhh these guys need to rethink some facets of the game and business model.

smr00

Banned
Fuck Doom :( 0 deaths until i came across this a-hole now i have 3 deaths.

Also, found 2 cores today and both are for Wolverine >.< Found a couple of artifacts as well.

spk

Why is the launcher still shit? There were numerous complaints throughout beta about having to redownload and not being able to back the game up because of the BitRaider install. I hoped Steam would be better but I guess not, because after getting 90% of it last night, it's now telling me I have to redownload the whole game. I resumed the download tonight and paused it during Reallocating so I could finish another patch and that's when it restarted the entire thing.

I have a cap so I can't download 10gb whenever I like. I even downloaded it in full using another internet connection but you cant just drop the folder in and verify like you used to. Steam doesn't detect it at all when the MarvelHeroes folder is placed in either downloading or steamapps folders. Did steam change the way it handles this? This is ridiculous

By chance are you guys using the Steam client?

Nope on day 1 I could not get the Steam client to download the game so I downloaded the standalone.
Not sure if it is because I am in Japan or what but I often get a bug on release day on Steam where the game entries appears and disappears. When we did the La-Mulana launch party it about drove me fucking crazy!!!!!!

RPGCrazied

Sure hope this game gets more options added to the video options. I can't play a game without AA, specially on a PC. I want it. I can have it now if I force it, but I get a weird outline on object and npc/other characters. If I zoom all the way in it goes away, but I can't play that way.

:(

I've had the same issue, it eventually loaded. (steam version)

either re-log or change zones.

how do you change zones.

nvm figured out how to get store.

was a second away from buying iron man... then realize I haven't spend $20 on like any game on steam for ages... and to pay that much for a toon.

I think ill hold off of this game for a bit :/

Uthred

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/06/a-few-more-hours-with-marvel-heroes/

Rock Paper Shotguns new review for Marvel Heroes.

This guy completely tore apart the beta when he reviewed it back then. Thoughts on this review?

As usual with Mr Walker its a bit over the top and he leaves out some stuff, whether intentionally or just as a result of his fervor. It wouldnt have hurt his point any to mention that while the pricing for heroes and such is fucking mental you can get them as drops. Also, how dare he slag off the classic Hawkeye costume? ;) Apart from that I largely agree with his take on it (Though despite not being overly impressed by the game I keep coming back to it for another go, maybe the novelty of superheroes in a Dibalo clone)

How does the purchasing work in Steam?

Can you add G through the Steam wallet?

I ask because I have like 4.00 left in my Steam wallet from something else and about 1000 yen left on a Visa prepaid card I bought previously for another online game purchase.

I would like to be able to add that 1000 yen to my wallet and buy one of the 1200 point characters...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

theRizzle

I like the forced grouping actually. It's really simple to get out of it and it makes it waaayyyyy easier than spamming LFG in the chat.

Question for someone that's finished:

All the terminals don't offer the same missions do they? Like the terminals at the Tower will offer me certain quests, and terminals... other places will offer different ones. Is that right?

hamchan

I'm really enjoying this game. I like how it's a pretty simple ARPG compared to other games. Just put on a podcast in the background and blast away some goons, so nice. The fact that I like most Marvel heroes means that I'm absolutely fine with all the starter heroes too, probably play through the game with all of them.

I really like the forced grouping too. I'm way too lazy to find my own group to play these instances. It's not like loot or exp can be stolen, so the more people to wail on a boss the better I think.

As usual with Mr Walker its a bit over the top and he leaves out some stuff, whether intentionally or just as a result of his fervor. It wouldnt have hurt his point any to mention that while the pricing for heroes and such is fucking mental you can get them as drops. Also, how dare he slag off the classic Hawkeye costume? ;) Apart from that I largely agree with his take on it (Though despite not being overly impressed by the game I keep coming back to it for another go, maybe the novelty of superheroes in a Dibalo clone)

He's way over-the-top, which is his shtick and that's fine.

Just to add another thing he's wrong about: You aren't forced to compete for monsters with "7 other heroes at the waypoint". That's not even slightly true. I've been playing all day and that's never been the case, at the most you'll be fighting alongside 1-2 other people vs. any given mob. The only exception is event bosses which of course require more players as that's what they're for. Typical over-the-top, exaggerated review. This is the Internet and if you're not using hyperbole you're not doing it right, apparently.

vazel

Banned
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/06/a-few-more-hours-with-marvel-heroes/

Rock Paper Shotguns new review for Marvel Heroes.

This guy completely tore apart the beta when he reviewed it back then. Thoughts on this review?
Solid review. I agree with everything he says. But I'm a Marvel fanboy so I still get enjoyment out of the game.

Hopefully Gazillion will keep a steady pace to the content updates. They also really need to have frequent sales in the store because the pricing really is bullshit.

Varna

Wasn't this game at one point going to only allow of each hero on every server or something like that? Heavily instanced to keep the stupidity of a dozen Wolverines running around in check?

Kind of wish they had gone with something like that. Event bosses are a snooze fest like in GW2. They are much funner with smaller number of people... and yeah, seeing a bunch of multiples is dumb. They couldn't even come up with a story reason for it? Different dimensions and all that... would fit in well with the multiple costumes as well.

Foofaraw

I wish I still didn't have to launch into windowed mode via an altered command line. I would think that most common resolutions would have been patched as non-game breaking bugs.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So after doing a bunch of daily challenges with a group, I have some observations.

1) Green daily dungeons are super quick, easy to solo, and don't give much XP.

2) Red daily dungeons are amazing XP when paired with potions.

3) The group daily dungeons are a waste of time. Well, it was for us. We did it (and it took 20-30 minutes) and gained VERY little XP. I'm thinking they get better? I hope?

4) Heal when injured, Heal when damaged as a double affix is fucking stupid. We did the red Taskmaster daily. It was stupidly difficult.

5) While I play Rocket Raccoon, I felt TERRIBLE for the Hulk in our group. Melee gets the shaft BIG TIME on bosses.

6) Drops? Yeah right. I've got 20 hours in, level 29, with NO drops worth talking about. I've ran a bunch of dailies (and maybe 4 or 5 with rarity drop bonus potions up to 75% bonus) and have seen complete and utter crap. Pretty disappointing.

7) Chat operations are annoying. If you reply to a message without replying, you get [Tell Tell personX]. That's stupid. Also, the lack of supergroups STILL pisses me off. It's very difficult to get a group together. Having a guild of people would make this SO much easier.

8) Med packs NEED to come in a higher tier. With ~3000 health, the standard pack is worthless.

9) Speaking of things that need to come in larger options...Money. Money is scarce, and with the cost of crafting higher level items, it's going to get REAL tight.

10) Fucking make crafting mats stack. That's just absolutely fucking ridiculous.

11) Action bars are a mess. 5 options + health pack + RMB hotkeys sounds like a lot, but it's not. Not when you have a character with a bunch of utility skills that are worth using. I don't know how to fix this, but it needs to be addressed.

12) Bosses need to have some sort of indicator above their head. With all the crazy effects going on, it's a mess when trying to target him/her.

13) Speaking of effects, I've lowered my graphics options in hopes to turn off crazy screen shaking and insane blaze and explosions. It just gets to be too hard to see what's going on...Even still, I can't seem to get these things to go down and make my screen less annoying to look at during a large group event.

14) Lag is still really bad in the tower by the crafter. I noticed they added another crafter to Avenger's Tower. Great, but it's still laggy.

OK, I think that's about all I have right now. I'm still loving the game, and I plan to continue enjoying every moment I can with it. But these are things that I really found annoying tonight during my session.

Jtrizzy

I made a Steam group so we can more easily add each other. It's titled "GAF Marvel Heroes"
I need some people to play with so add me and join up!!!

inky

I really don't understand the thing about lots of samey heroes being that big of an issue. I guess they could've put it into the story somehow, but the other solutions to that problem would generate a bunch of complaints as well. Create your own character would outright suck, and instancing people so you don't see others is troublesome when you'd basically have 1000 people playing Spiderman and 15 playing Luke Cage It would generate uneven groups unless instances were super limited, but then areas would feel empty too. They hinted long ago at having people claim characters per server in a first come first served system and everyone thought that was the worst idea of all. It's really a no win scenario I think.

If the complaints are related to how there are no cosmetic changes for equipment happening other than costumes -from an ARPG perspective- I can understand a bit more, as that is a reason I enjoy the genre too. But then, I'm not sure I'd love seeing Hulk get increasingly elaborate shoulder pads and shirts, and I imagine making 6 tiers of different looking items for 25+ characters is simply unfeasible. I think the costume system is a much better solution, if you ignore the prices at least.

I guess for all the complaints I have with this game (long list), this is something that doesn't bother me at all. If anything, it bothers me more that NPC text doesn't change slightly depending on who you are playing. I can't imagine something like that would be so hard to do.

In other news, I had to make a very unexpeced trip and I won't be playing for a while or checking in so often over here =( I only say this because supergroups might make it in before I'm back, and I know I've said I would do it. If they do happen and someone else wants to make it I would be super grateful. Also, I don't have my PC or Laptop with me (only phone) and that means the OP & user list might not get updated for a few days either, but at least we have the google doc for that. Thanks!

Chucker

Hit 20 with Jean and like everybody says with their character, it's a game changer. I do my AOE stun, then a AOE implosion that damages and sucks them into one area, then my main attack does splash damage, throw two out and the whole group is (usually) dead.

I love it.

Kurod

Banned
Gonna hold off on playing till they get these performance issues addressed. I've gone as far as lowering the resolution to 720 and scaling down the graphical options as far as they go and it's still just as bad of a choppy mess. Funnily enough the 4 days prior to release everything was buttery smooth (except that venom event boss fight).

GManDH

inky, we hope all is well. We do not mind making a supergroup, however has it been decided whether it would be GAF or MarvelGAF. also, how did u get so many artifacts?? and to whoever is doing dailys, are they really easy if u just redo bosses, because those are suppose to be fun.

Orca

Logged on to play finally and found my three year old, who had played a bunch in the beta just running around smashing thugs, had taken advantage of being left with it and used my currency to buy a bunch of heroes....terrible heroes.

*shakes head*

Top Bottom