• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

goatface

Neo Member
Drop Rarity = increased ability to find blues/purples and better stats... i.e. higher drop rarity gear/items and higher special item find gear/items.

Special Item Find = Increase chance to find Costumes/Characters/Anything classified by them as "Special Item".

from here

GManDH

SHIT i thought that they were the same. okay thanks. also i have been crafting A LOT and have tons of particles ill prob never use since i just use the green ones. does anyone want them or willing to trade some green for the other ones. i have all the way up to tier 5 of some.

I played three hours of this today and its pretty damn fun. I picked Hawkeye to start and then got Daredevil after the prologue which will probably be enough to satisfy me as far as characters go. Although I would like Thor....and Punisher. But Im not actually going to spend money to get them.

Xevren

Started playing today and having a lot of fun, I really enjoy playing as Scarlet Witch. Do we have a gaf guild or supergroup (whatever it is in this)?

Started playing today and having a lot of fun, I really enjoy playing as Scarlet Witch. Do we have a gaf guild or supergroup (whatever it is in this)?

I'd like to know this as well. I'm on the third level with scarlet witch and I probably need to start grinding to level her up.

You and me both, when I saw him in game I was not a happy person. Was a bunch of characters as npc's I would love to play as though really.

I think the characters that are NPCs atm have a pretty high chance of being playable. There are a bunch of fan favourite characters that the devs have acknowledged that are NPCs now like Gambit and Nightcrawler. Also, Cap and Daredevil were NPCs early in the beta.

Xevren

I think the characters that are NPCs atm have a pretty high chance of being playable. There are a bunch of fan favourite characters that the devs have acknowledged that are NPCs now like Gambit and Nightcrawler. Also, Cap and Daredevil were NPCs early in the beta.

Cool, I would love to see a playable Magik.

What do I do with all these crafting mat and shitty drops? I'm thinking updating crafter is what people usually do in these games?

the fuck, why don't these crafting mats stack :/

I'm now in the opinion that even picking up any of the crafting materials before you start doing the endgame dailies is a HUGE waste of time and credits.

Punisher and Black Panther are really good at support & buffs

Black Panther is my main, and there's no way I would characterize him as either "support" or "buffs." I suppose his ultimate can be used to revive dead teammates...and that's about it. The closest thing he does to those roles is a passive skill that DEBUFFS the enemy's defense by a large amount when you strike them (-500 defense at level 20).

Other than that, he's a pure DPS machine with dodge providing a great deal of survivability. I'm loving the character. The odd part is he's also quite the PVP monster. I usually am terrible at PVP, but I went 50-1 with him tonight. I could easily take down two or three folks at a time, since Savage Strike is a complete monster of a skill. Having 40% dodge certainly helps, too.

wizard

Banned
Anyone know how Punisher gameplay is? Was thinking about picking him up he's one of my favorite Super Heroes but I'd rather not play a gimp'd Hero.

hamchan

Patch Notes Game Update Notes 6/7/2013 - 1.10.1.14

These fixes were judged important enough to receive a build tonight. Known issues are unchanged. We are working on a larger scale patch for next week.

Content Changes

Auto party: If you have the 'Auto party' option set to on (which it is by default), you were previously placed into a party if you entered a newly created instance within 45 seconds of other players that were also set to auto party. This time window has now been shortened to 20 seconds. Again, this only occurs if you have the option enabled.

Bug Fixes

-Fixed a bug that occurred when more than two players damaged an enemy, were all eligible for experience, but received differing amounts. In most cases this bug favored players with extra experience, but sometimes it did not award enough. With this bug fix, all eligible players will now receive the full amount they would get if they had killed the enemy themselves, as originally intended.

-Fixed a bug where players were getting an unlock token for a Starter Hero that they already had as a mission reward for beating Green Goblin or Doctor Doom. Players will now receive a mystery package which, when opened, will give an unlock token for a Starter Hero that they do not have. Players who have all the Starter Heroes unlocked will get a Fortune Card.
Note: If you previously received a hero unlock token that you cannot use, keep it. It will be repaired in the near future, granting you a mystery package.

From https://forum.marvelheroes.com/showthread.php/29247-Patch-Notes-Game-Update-Notes-6-7-2013-1-10-1-14

I sure hope they roll out the mystery packages quickly. Double Hawkeye was such a bummer.

Anyone know how Punisher gameplay is? Was thinking about picking him up he's one of my favorite Super Heroes but I'd rather not play a gimp'd Hero.

I heard he was one of the weaker characters as his starting abilities/attacks are his only effective ones.
I have not played him, so the above may be completely untrue. I do know he looks awesome :)

Damn, I already sold the token since I didn't know what to do with it like 2 days ago. Oh well, honestly none of the starters really interested me that much, I really want to try someone like Deadpool and Rocket Raccoon (but I don't want to pay that much).

GManDH

i know this is old news but with the compensation coming into play, by my calculations don't UPack users get an additional $20? so that means that $200 went down to $160, assuming you got the 10% code.

Veggy

Apparently he's the worst character in the game (judging from the MH forums) but hopefully this means he will be getting buffs soon

The best starters are out of Storm and Scarlet Witch

i know this is old news but with the compensation coming into play, by my calculations don't UPack users get an additional $20? so that means that $200 went down to $160, assuming you got the 10% code.

Yup and as a Premium owner, I got $10 so the cost of my pack was $44 with the 10% code and additional $10

The best starters are out of Storm and Scarlet Witch

That's definitely true from an AOE and leveling speed standpoint. I'd argue that Hawkeye is a better boss killer. Also, the Scarlet Witch lacks survivability at higher levels.

I'm honestly finding that every starter character has a better "premium" version character.

Storm / Scarlet = Jean Grey
Thing = Colossus & Hulk
Hawkeye = Rocket Raccoon
Daredevil = Black Panther

It's not an exact one to one comparison, but I'd always take someone on the right side of that list when given the option. Not always more powerful (though the Daredevil side certainly is) That has too be by design.

So Thing (lvl. 17)has gotten a bit stale (punch, punch, punch). I was however very pleased in a 3-man boss fight against Juggernaut where I was able to tank all the damage he could give (Bashful Benjy was quite useful even at low level) without using a health pack, while Deadpool and Cable cut him down from range. Masterful fight was over quite quickly.

This being said I have 2100G to burn. I'd like to get two characters and would like suggestions. My shortlist (in order): Cable, Colossus, Black Widow and Cyclops.

Any combo of two will do.

Are there arguments to be made for Black Panther (seems good value)? How about Thor, Captain America, Wolverine or Jean Grey? Worth the price bump?

Can't bring myself to even buy the cheapest costume (600G I believe) if it can unlock a playable Black Widow instead. I hear she has variety at least.

Lelex

Neo Member
Can't bring myself to even buy the cheapest costume (600G I believe) if it can unlock a playable Black Widow instead. I hear she has variety at least.

Thinking the same. I reaaaaally wanted to get Mohawk Storm, but for 1000G I have quite a bunch of character options that I think would be a better value proposition.

Man, between this and the Playdom Marvel game, Marvel has basically managed to occupy a vast majority of my daily gaming time.

No drops yet, but only about 15 hours sunk into it, so this shouldn't be a real surprise.

My shortlist (in order): Cable, Colossus, Black Widow and Cyclops.

Any combo of two will do.

Are there arguments to be made for Black Panther (seems good value)? How about Thor, Captain America, Wolverine or Jean Grey? Worth the price bump?

I'll chime in...to give you perspective, I'm playing the following characters:

Black Panther - 35
Rocket Raccoon - 21
Colossus - 20
Jean Grey - 18
Daredevil - 10
Punisher - 10
Various others (to include Storm, Hawkeye, and Deadpool to 8. I have Thor and Cyclops from a pack and haven't touched them.

Feedback for the ones you asked about:

Cable - Ridiculously solid range class from my observation. Some say he's overpowered. His main stats are currently bugged and don't level up like the others, so he'll probably be even better one that is fixed.

Colossus - If you're already playing Thing, I would suggest steering clear of Colossus. He's arguably the best tank in the game, but there will be many similarities in play style.

Cyclops - Looks amazing. Some are arguing he doesn't hold up as well at top levels, but the ones I've teamed with have obliterated everything. His ultimate is currently broken and one shots most bosses.

Black Panther - My main and an absolute blast to play. He's quick, insanely survivable (I went 50-1 in PVP last night, oftentimes against three players at once...and I SUCK at PVP most games). His main strike is a ridiculous upper cut plus bleed effect that is borderline OP. I've added traps into my latest build and he's even better now. With 40% dodge rating and climbing, you can really mix it up. He had the highest skill cap of any character I've made.

Black Widow - Really fun play style mixing melee and range, and quite good survivability of you pump up her dodge passive. She's the only character that gave me any issues on Panther in PVP...still beat her 10-1 but I'm convinced Panther is OP right now in that realm.

Jean Grey - Starting in the late teens, she's become an AOE monster. I kill regular enemies faster with her than any other class, by far. Phoenix form is visually stunning, and as long as you keep a steady stream of bad guys coming it's basically endlessly sustainable. Where she lacks is in killing power against bosses and she's not super survivable.

I'll defer on commenting on Wolverine, Captain America, or Thor since they don't interest me and I haven't partnered with them much.

*One final note: melee characters suffer a harder time currently in many boss fights than ranged ones do. That may or may not change in the future, but it's definitely worth considering.

Just fought Bullseye as Rock Raccoon, I went in thinking it might be a bit of a challenge, given Bullseye's rather annoying ability to occasionally 1-hit people. I was wrong. Went in, threw out my Time Dilation machine and the fight was pretty much over. That thing is way more awesome than I thought it would be. It stops all of his ranged abilities, aside from his uber take cover thing.

Amazing.

Just fought Bullseye as Rock Raccoon, I went in thinking it might be a bit of a challenge, given Bullseye's rather annoying ability to occasionally 1-hit people. I was wrong. Went in, threw out my Time Dilation machine and the fight was pretty much over. That thing is way more awesome than I thought it would be. It stops all of his ranged abilities, aside from his uber take cover thing.

Amazing.

Bullseye seems to have been totally castrated since the closed beta. As Ms Marvel, he can't even take down 1/2 my HP bar with his old 1 hit kill move anymore. His health is also like 1/2 of what it used to be, its really a trivial boss fight now. That and being able to interrupt him is such a big change from before

Bullseye seems to have been totally castrated since the closed beta. As Ms Marvel, he can't even take down 1/2 my HP bar with his old 1 hit kill move anymore. His health is also like 1/2 of what it used to be, its really a trivial boss fight now. That and being able to interrupt him is such a big change from before

Oy! Don't dampen my feelings of awesomeness! Rocket Raccoon doesn't appreciate it.

Oy! Don't dampen my feelings of awesomeness! Rocket Raccoon doesn't appreciate it.

No, you're right. I fully expect they will change one of two things here:

1) Lower the health of the different turrets and items he drops so they cannot effectively "tank" the bosses.

OR

2) Lower the odds of them drawing aggro from the bosses. I find it wild that my turrets basically trivialize some boys fights.

I've enjoyed this game a lot since first getting into the beta back in February. However, the recent issues with launch has kept me from wanting to play it much.

Full Story
I bought a Human Torch SP on 5/6. When the whole Torch not being ready for launch thing happened, I contacted support and they gave me a code on 5/27 to redeem for a switch over to Thor's SP. I did so immediately, but it seems that did not go through. At the time I had no idea because, until recently, the account summary page did not work. If I try to input that code now, all I get is an error saying "This key has reached its redemption limit and is no longer valid."

When Early Access hit for SP users, I had nothing, as if I was a free account. Thus, I filed a ticket for it. On 6/6, 5 days after SP Early Access started, Support finally added in my pack. However, they added Torch's pack instead of Thor's. >_<. So I had to put in another ticket, and for that one I haven't even been given an automated response that most people get upon submitting a ticket.

http://imgur.com/VFyspOv = My account page now.

My page shows HT pack as being purchased, but it never shows the pack being switched over to Thor.

TL/DR
- I bought a Torch SP which was switched to a Thor SP by support.
- Game launched and I had nothing.
- 5 days later, Support "fixed" that by giving me Torch's pack.
- I filed another ticket but haven't heard back from support at all.

I'll chime in...to give you perspective, I'm playing the following characters:

Black Panther - 35
Rocket Raccoon - 21
Colossus - 20
Jean Grey - 18
Daredevil - 10
Punisher - 10
Various others (to include Storm, Hawkeye, and Deadpool to 8. I have Thor and Cyclops from a pack and haven't touched them.

Feedback for the ones you asked about:

Cable - Ridiculously solid range class from my observation. Some say he's overpowered. His main stats are currently bugged and don't level up like the others, so he'll probably be even better one that is fixed.

Colossus - If you're already playing Thing, I would suggest steering clear of Colossus. He's arguably the best tank in the game, but there will be many similarities in play style.

Cyclops - Looks amazing. Some are arguing he doesn't hold up as well at top levels, but the ones I've teamed with have obliterated everything. His ultimate is currently broken and one shots most bosses.

Black Panther - My main and an absolute blast to play. He's quick, insanely survivable (I went 50-1 in PVP last night, oftentimes against three players at once...and I SUCK at PVP most games). His main strike is a ridiculous upper cut plus bleed effect that is borderline OP. I've added traps into my latest build and he's even better now. With 40% dodge rating and climbing, you can really mix it up. He had the highest skill cap of any character I've made.

Black Widow - Really fun play style mixing melee and range, and quite good survivability of you pump up her dodge passive. She's the only character that gave me any issues on Panther in PVP...still beat her 10-1 but I'm convinced Panther is OP right now in that realm.

Jean Grey - Starting in the late teens, she's become an AOE monster. I kill regular enemies faster with her than any other class, by far. Phoenix form is visually stunning, and as long as you keep a steady stream of bad guys coming it's basically endlessly sustainable. Where she lacks is in killing power against bosses and she's not super survivable.

I'll defer on commenting on Wolverine, Captain America, or Thor since they don't interest me and I haven't partnered with them much.

*One final note: melee characters suffer a harder time currently in many boss fights than ranged ones do. That may or may not change in the future, but it's definitely worth considering.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Rolling Cable for now and he's quite good right off the bat. Much different approach than Thing (kiting!?! casting!?!).

Figured Colossus looked like the best tank. Just a little time with Daredevil and I could see dodge would be quite good for melee character. Really going to think over Black Panther and Black Widow for next hero. Will continue with Cable until then.

Haha sorry about that, that wasn't my intention. I had to do ~15 corpse runs on him with Jean Grey during the beta :/, I'm just happy Bullseye was nerfed. From what I hear RR's turrets are beastly for tanking bosses later in the game, still trying to decide if he's worth the purchase for me (tho the extra G from Gaz is helping with the decision)

Varna

Why is it every single mmo screws over meele range characters?

There is a slight perk in this one since normal meele attacks seem to have a cone shaped attack range but that doesn't really add much since most range characters will have some ridiculous AOE attacks anyways. Fighting any kind of boss (or even some of the meatier) enemies just sucks since you will just get stunned/knock down a ton.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
RR's turrets are not great for late game tanking. Groot, however, is. But overal, RR isn't a powerhouse high DPS like other character are.

Mupod

No, you're right. I fully expect they will change one of two things here:

1) Lower the health of the different turrets and items he drops so they cannot effectively "tank" the bosses.

OR

2) Lower the odds of them drawing aggro from the bosses. I find it wild that my turrets basically trivialize some boys fights.

I agree that it makes early bosses easy but the turret becomes absolutely worthless later on. Bosses like Magneto will kill it instantly, and it's worthless on trashmobs because the damage it puts out is completely insignificant. Groot outclasses it in every way for far less of a point investment, follows you around so he's useable on regular enemies, and even if he goes down he explodes for a decent amount of damage.

I haven't used the other turret powers very much but the spatial warp array dies so fast I haven't even seen what it does.

They could maybe fix the blaster turret by upping its damage significantly and making it untargetable by enemies. This would make early game harder though, and RR's 1-20 is already awful solo.

Scirrocco

So glad to hear they're going to fix the double character bug.

Is cable that good? I've been thinking of buying a new character with the 1000g's i got with my founders pack, and cables been one of the people i've been looking back.

smr00

Banned
Ugh, so i did the green terminal earlier for Modock and died once during the fight and killed him but soon as i killed him i died and it reset the entire fucking instance putting me back at the very beginning and resetting him. Lost my Medal and shard thing and all the loot.

It still counted me as beating it and unlocked the next one but that made me rage quit >.<

Is cable that good? I've been thinking of buying a new character with the 1000g's i got with my founders pack, and cables been one of the people i've been looking back.

I haven't played him, but I'm hearing nothing but praise. His main stats aren't even leveling yet and he's already beasting stuff. I think he's a top notch choice for a ranged character.

Top Bottom