• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Well, I picked up Hulk today and played a bunch of the story since I had nothin' better to do. I think I'm level 16 and just started chapter 6. He's a beast, probably too much so at the lower levels. I'm glad I went with my gut instead of buying one of the heroes that had better sale reductions; he's fun as heck to play and I get to hear him make fun of all the other Avengers whenever one walks by.

Still have 1,000 spacebucks that I'm not sure what to do with yet... contemplating either buying his Mr. Fixit costume or just holding them until that War one shows up (though I suspect it might be more than 1,000 when it gets released).

What level do you usually wind up around when the story is finished?

Fair warning... Hulk starts out beasting, then suddenly becomes squishy as hell. He's obviously meant to be DPS, not a tank, but when his optimal build is to stack attack speed, and look for "weapons" with 5% chance to reduce enemy health by 7%, to be a boss-killer, you suddenly feel very "un-Hulk".

I'm not a fan with his current incarnation really, despite getting him to 35 or so.

Wallach

Fair warning... Hulk starts out beasting, then suddenly becomes squishy as hell. He's obviously meant to be DPS, not a tank, but when his optimal build is to stack attack speed, and look for "weapons" with 5% chance to reduce enemy health by 7%, to be a boss-killer, you suddenly feel very "un-Hulk".

I'm not a fan with his current incarnation really, despite getting him to 35 or so.

I can see what will happen already, but I think the basic math problems keeping melee down are both very visible and recognized at this point by their team.

Some of his skills definitely need a design review, though. His Rancor tree in particular and the Anger mechanic are pretty poor relative to other heroes. I'd also like to see some redundancy pulled to make way for at least a couple new skills; a big problem in his Violence tree.

That said, at least he feels like Hulk and they did not give in to the temptation to make him a team-oriented "tank" style character. Most of the work ahead will be general design footwork.

If you guys found a decent looking chase costume, but you didnt own that particular character, would you buy them, just to show off the costume?
I probably would TBH :)

inky

There's only 2 chase costumes I care about: Battle Armor Thor, and Ronin Hawkeye, and I own both characters, so...

I'll probably never get them anyway =(

Wallach

There's only 2 chase costumes I care about: Battle Armor Thor, and Ronin Hawkeye, and I own both characters, so...

I'll probably never get them anyway =(

Yeah, I think the only costume I might buy a character for is Thor's Destroyer costume. Maybe Cyclops if I happen across his 90's X-Men costume. Still mad that Cyke is not in UMVC3.

Anyone here know if Hulk's War costume is going in as a chase costume or into the store? I will hold onto my remaining points if it's going into the store, otherwise I'll probably grab his Gray Hulk while it's half off. War is supposed to be going into the game by Sunday.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
If you guys found a decent looking chase costume, but you didnt own that particular character, would you buy them, just to show off the costume?
I probably would TBH :)

I might if got that Spider-Man bag-man costume just because it's so different and rather funny.

inky

Yeah, I think the only costume I might buy a character for is Thor's Destroyer costume. Maybe Cyclops if I happen across his 90's X-Men costume. Still mad that Cyke is not in UMVC3.

Anyone here know if Hulk's War costume is going in as a chase costume or into the store? I will hold onto my remaining points if it's going into the store, otherwise I'll probably grab his Gray Hulk while it's half off. War is supposed to be going into the game by Sunday.

Thor Destroyer Armor I got from like my second fortune card, and I already got another of the 5 card exclusive costumes (unmasked Deadpool) so I don't think it is unlikely people will eventually get them all if they play constantly. In fact, those are probably the most common costumes you'll get if you ignore the store entirely, so there is a chance.

Hulk War should go directly to the store. Hulk's chase costume is Hulk 2099 and is in the game already.

Wallach

Thor Destroyer Armor I got from like my second fortune card, and I already got another of the 5 card exclusive costumes (unmasked Deadpool) so I don't think it is unlikely people will eventually get them all if they play constantly.

Hulk War should go directly to the store. Hulk's chase costume is Hulk 2099

Nice. I saw that Hulk 2099 costume while playing yesterday; never read that series but he's pretty gross looking. Like Hulk and a Deathclaw had a baby. Wouldn't mind having it.

Do you get one Fortune Card per day from dailies? Someone mentioned getting them from terminals or something like that but I wasn't sure how guaranteed they were. Made it sound like they weren't particularly worth buying from the store.

inky

If you do all 10 and turn in your shards you should get 1 FC every day. They are also rare drops, so you might even get 2. I've got at least 4-5 as drops.

inky

Well, it wasn't worth the cosmic key, so I can see how you would''ve missed it. I always piggybacked on randoms doing reds. They seemed to be happy just having a party, and in my experience, many were friendly and not shitty about being repaid the key or anything.

Xevren

Well, it wasn't worth the cosmic key, so I can see how you would''ve missed it. I always piggybacked on randoms doing reds. They seemed to be happy just having a party, and in my experience, many were friendly and not shitty about being repaid the key or anything.

That was my experience too, how I met some of the most friendly people out there that I tend to play with.

Wallach

Thanks to some help from Manny, I was able to smash my way up to level 30 tonight.

If anyone's around later today and not doing 4th-related stuff, I'd like to try some of the purple terminal stuff. At least the first one to unlock Limbo, anyway.

Wow, Scarlet Witch is pretty great.
I spent today getting used to her different shields and holds.
She has so many useful abilities, but not enough hot keys to assign them to.
I think I'll take her Ultra off a hotkey and assign that move where she spins around in that big bubble, instead. Damage and slow effect sounds promising in the ability description.

Xevren

I think I'll take her Ultra off a hotkey and assign that move where she spins around in that big bubble, instead. Damage and slow effect sounds promising in the ability description.

Chaos Tempest is meh, just not worth the channeling.

Deadly

I think she sucks late. The DOT barely does damage because everyone kills everything faster. The missile thing is way slow. Oh yeah and bosses annihilate you. I suppose the -80% defense debuff is useful when grouping though.

I think she sucks late. The DOT barely does damage because everyone kills everything faster. The missile thing is way slow. Oh yeah and bosses annihilate you. I suppose the -80% defense debuff is useful when grouping though.
I'd concur with this assessment. She was great for the main game and has lots of fun abilities, but by the end of chapter 8 she just became so hard to keep alive solo + wasn't doing as much damage as other characters at comparable levels. Plus, she never was that viable against bosses by herself.

My strategy whenever I fight terminal bosses with her is just to drop a Combusting Hex on the floor and avoid boss attacks while it whittles away their health. Occasionally I'll get to fire off some Bewitching Hexes and Ravenous Bindings when I can get some clean shots in.

inky

Love items that just last you forever. I don't want to replace this:

o8ZPzI4.png

or this:

orWOV8z.png

Got my capt to like 12" last night. Kinda boring to play ( no real efficient AoE skill until later I think) and shield bounce is kinda crappy I assume its better later.

But holy shit. Quick block. You pretty much can just use normal attack and QB and win the campaign lol.

Got my capt to like 12" last night. Kinda boring to play ( no real efficient AoE skill until later I think) and shield bounce is kinda crappy I assume its better later.

But holy shit. Quick block. You pretty much can just use normal attack and QB and win the campaign lol.

Shield bounce always sucks. His most effective multi target abilities are his shield rushing stuff, zipping around the screen hitting and knocking people around while being near invincible.

Shield bounce always sucks. His most effective multi target abilities are his shield rushing stuff, zipping around the screen hitting and knocking people around while being near invincible.

Hm, I may need to give this a try, I've been generally just sticking with basic attacks, QB, and leaping strike

QB is def Cap's best move, nothing like face tanking Doom/Magneto for a group on t1 red terminals (still lvl 33) and taking next to no damage

Is it possible to cheese Limbo with Black Panthers invisibility?
Collecting flares should be easy if no enemies can see you.
Ive only put 1 point into my BP's invisibility because I cant see myself using it, outside of Limbo.

Lord Phol

The luck has been with me lately, got a fortune card from Wunda3 and a Ms.Marvel from the boss in Sub3 yesterday.

So far I've gotten (From drops and cards):

Storm
Ms.Marvel
Hawkeye
Scarlet Witch (Duplicate)
Thor's Destroyer Costume (from Cards)
Black Panther's Wakanda Costume
5-10 Fortune Cards
5-7 Retcon Devices
1 Visual Artifact
2 Matrix of unbinding
+ lots of artifacts and other stuff

Lord Phol

Is it possible to cheese Limbo with Black Panthers invisibility?
Collecting flares should be easy if no enemies can see you.
Ive only put 1 point into my BP's invisibility because I cant see myself using it, outside of Limbo.

Definetly, I have done plenty of those runs. BPs invisibility is great for ressing people, rushing through dailes and general surviveability, I've put like 6 points into it.

Definetly, I have done plenty of those runs. BPs invisibility is great for ressing people, rushing through dailes and general surviveability, I've put like 6 points into it.

Seems like it would be really OP in Limbo.
I also found a Phoenix Feather artifact (auto-resurrect every 10 mins) which would work as a good contingency plan for Panther chasing those flares in Limbo by himself.
Then I found this...

2013-07-05_00001.jpg

A character with a high dodge would be landing criticals all the time.
I dont own Dare Devil or Black widow, so I guess I'll give to Panther.

Should be moving in to my new home in two weeks, and I'll be playing catch up with you guys then. I'm really liking the changes from last patch.

Xevren

Seems like it would be really OP in Limbo.
I also found a Phoenix Feather artifact (auto-resurrect every 10 mins) which would work as a good contingency plan for Panther chasing those flares in Limbo by himself.
Then I found this...

2013-07-05_00001.jpg

A character with a high dodge would be landing criticals all the time.
I dont own Dare Devil or Black widow, so I guess I'll give to Panther.

Think that's better than the one I'm using for Thing, I'm jealous. Having 50% dodge on Thing is awesome, wasn't cheap but it was worth it. And if they do land a hit it's usually not for much, crit+dodge city!

So what are the current end game viable folks? Really curious how viable are the 'mages'. I assume this being like all diablo like games, end game mobs hit hard.

also.... does Capt ever get moves that hit hard, ala hit dudes hard enough that they ragdoll away lol.

J-Tier

Is the rested EXP thing about getting better drops a myth? Seems to be the case, there has been no official info about it and seems really anecdotal.

Is the rested EXP thing about getting better drops a myth? Seems to be the case, there has been no official info about it and seems really anecdotal.

I thought it says that during one of the loading screens. Though doesn't make much of a difference if it turns a .001% chance into .002% for heroes/costumes.

inky

There is official info, although we don't know the exact numbers obviously. They have also said they are looking into it and considering changes.

So what are the current end game viable folks? Really curious how viable are the 'mages'. I assume this being like all diablo like games, end game mobs hit hard.

also.... does Capt ever get moves that hit hard, ala hit dudes hard enough that they ragdoll away lol.

Ragdoll away is just the random crit effect.

Think that's better than the one I'm using for Thing, I'm jealous. Having 50% dodge on Thing is awesome, wasn't cheap but it was worth it. And if they do land a hit it's usually not for much, crit+dodge city!

Ive heard people say dodge is the best ability to have, but I always prioritize health regen above it. My lvl 40-ish chars regen about 2000 health per min.

On another note, I played the Sub 1 Group Challenge last night and the team rolled through it easily (we were all in the low 40's) and one of my teammates got a Captain America (non duplicate) drop from the boss. The rest of us got nothing but blue items.
I quizzed him a little after and he said he wasnt using rested xp and had a Special Item find of +24%, which is reassuring for me to hear, because usually my chars are in a similar position.
I congratulated him but i was so jealous. lol

DrBo42

Started playing the game today as Hawkguy, made it to lvl 6-8. Not sure I'm feeling it. Does it pick up in a big way? I'm getting the feeling that the skill trees are not very creative. Who are some of the characters with the most fun ability sets?

Xevren

Ive heard people say dodge is the best ability to have, but I always prioritize health regen above it. My lvl 40-ish chars regen about 2000 health per min.

On another note, I played the Sub 1 Group Challenge last night and the team rolled through it easily (we were all in the low 40's) and one of my teammates got a Captain America (non duplicate) drop from the boss. The rest of us got nothing but blue items.
I quizzed him a little after and he said he wasnt using rested xp and had a Special Item find of +24%, which is reassuring for me to hear, because usually my chars are in a similar position.
I congratulated him but i was so jealous. lol

Health regen is butt, unless you have whatever it is Wolverine has now.

J-Tier

Thanks for the info.

Also, what can you do with Black Panther? I just got him as a drop, and not sure if he's worth investing time in.

Wallach

Started playing the game today as Hawkguy, made it to lvl 6-8. Not sure I'm feeling it. Does it pick up in a big way? I'm getting the feeling that the skill trees are not very creative. Who are some of the characters with the most fun ability sets?

I picked Hawkeye as my starter and found him pretty boring too. Just kinda stiff with some dull attacks.

Bought Hulk straight away and had a lot more fun. Also have Daredevil (you get a second starter hero after completing the prologue bits) and Thing (which I got for completing the story first time) and they're both also more interesting. Thing is a lot like Hulk, but without as much AoE carnage and a lot more group utility and defensive power. I got a Thing token to drop right after I unlocked him, too; I'd give it to you to try but I guess they are account bound. Seems you can only use duplicate tokens to upgrade that character's ultimate skill.

There'a few videos now on my Twitch channel of some Hulk action if you want to see what he looks like. When I stream tomorrow I might buy another hero to level up, leaning towards Punisher at the moment, if you have any interest in him and want to see how he works.

Top Bottom