• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

GManDH

I believe that Limbo (purple) is random as to who gets into what instance.

I'm not sure what the loot/xp is like in the blue terminals. They can be entered as a group.
I've only 2 manned Mad2 back when I was 34 Thing with a random 39 Scarlet Witch back when it had to be run to unlock things.

<--BigRedDog in MH.

first of all, HI RED. second i mean the group purple levels. did they switch colors now?? i want to do it with ppl, have a lil gaf group fun.

Wallach

New forums are up (http://forums.marvelheroes.com), as well as a new dev blog:

Doomsaw said:
Hello all,

Friday dev blog time. I’m going to write efficiently since we have a lot to do this weekend to make the game great for you.

Defense System

We’ve done a lot of work on the new defense system this week. We are calling it the survivability system since defense is a part of it, but not all of it.

Some changes we’ve have made internally or are in process of making:

We are going to a percentage based defense system with diminishing returns. This is very similar to what most games have. We’ve done a ton of research (and used our personal experiences) to make sure this is being done perfectly, so it’s fun and fair.

There will be no heroes that can only be “tanks” in the game. There will be melee heroes who all need to be able to survive in the game. Some heroes will have “tank” powers that they can level up (taunts, damage reduction, etc), but nobody should be forced to tank unless they want to. EVERY melee hero should be able to dish out tons of damage while surviving in melee and most melee heroes (Hulk, Thing, Colossus, Thor, Spider-Man, etc.) should be able to use certain abilities that temporarily reduce damage for extreme survivability if they wish to do so – completely at their option. If you want to do some tanky stuff you can, but you aren’t forced to do it.

Extreme damage scaling is being phased out of the game. You won’t see enemies doing 500% bonus damage unless it’s specifically designed as part of the fight. For example, the completely-redesigned Limbo (A.K.A. Midtown Patrol) does not use this tool to create challenge, instead it uses Supervillian groups to create challenge, which is much more interactive and balanced (and insanely fun), while still being difficult.

Ignores Defenses is now out of the game completely. It won’t return unless a boss has a specific power that uses it with appropriate warning. We are looking at "Deals more damage" to ensure it’s challenging but reasonable. We will be adding more enemy powers that are more interactive that don’t punish melee to such an extreme degree.

We are adding and adjusting powers to be more and more engaging and more of a test of skill. It’s not cool to one-shot a player with a regular attack, but it’s completely fair to one-shot a player if they don’t move out of the fire after a few seconds warning.
We are looking at adding mitigation powers with long cooldowns for some heroes, particularly melee. These powers will allow us to make some very cool boss abilities and give players and emergency button under certain circumstances.

There are a few other under-the-hood adjustments we’re making, so at the end of the day you will have heroes that play exactly how you want to play them. You still need to be smart, but you don’t need to fear a guy with a machine gun in a warehouse if you’re the thing and you don’t need to fear hitting someone in the face with your hammer if you are a Norse god.

Short-Term Hero Upgrades

Within 2 weeks, we’ll be pushing live a series of upgrades to EVERY hero. The feedback threads have been extremely helpful in helping us identify parts of each hero that are considered weak or unfun by players. We’ve also advanced our thinking on what makes a fun hero and are upgrading every hero to meet that enhanced criteria.

Some heroes may have minor tweaks and some will have many powers adjusted. A big focus will be making sure every hero has multiple builds and that melee can melee.

Long-Term Hero Upgrades

A smaller group of heroes will be receiving large upgrades to their power sets. Guys like Hulk, Thor, Colossus (and quite a few other melee) will get a lot more options to increase build options, fun and melee survivability. Example: Thor should have a brutal melee build, a “caster” build and a highly effective and interesting hybrid build that combines both elements.

Ranged heroes will also receive quality of life improvements and may also receive new powers or adjusted power to give them new build options. Deadpool needs the option to have a powerful melee build, Punchclops needs more build options, Hawkeye needs more build options and so on. We’ll talk more about this in the coming weeks.

New Heroes

The New Heroes Team has been working day and night on Human Torch. He’s gone through several iterations of improvements and is in good shape. He has 25 powers, some of which still need visual effects and animation tweaking, but all are working well and synergize nicely. He feels crisp, powerful and fun, like as heroes should be.

Emma Frost still needs rounds of iteration before she’s ready, then our focus will shift to Squirrel Girl, Luke Cage and finally Nova. Nova will be interesting, since decisions will need to be made based on the current Marvel storyline. We’ll talk more about that in a future blog.

Movement Buffs in Hubs

In the next patch, players will be able to use movement powers in hubs. It was turned off temporarily due to some teleport issues, but those issues are fixed and we’re ready to go live. We are all extremely happy about this, since superheroes shouldn’t have to walk when they have flight, leap, teleport, etc.

X-Men Mansion

I’ve heard through the grape vine that some very evil people are planning to attack the X-Men Mansion. I hope you will help defend it when it happens.

Buffs and Debuff Display

This is something we’re considering as an option for players. It could be turned off by default for new players, so they don’t get information overload, but toggled on for advanced players if it’s something they are interested in. This is something that we may start to see in September after we finish work on some of the bigger systems.

Unique Items

As you can imagine, we are in development of unique items. These will be “brown” (like medals) and have the level of rarity you will expect from uniques. We’ll start previewing these in the coming weeks.

Super-Team Items

We are introducing a new item slot, right below costume, for Superteam items. These items will be able to be used by heroes who have been members of a superteam in Marvel lore. So, an X-Men item could be used by anyone who was ever a member of the X-Men, a Marvel Knights item could be used by the appropriate heroes, etc. We will even have a Guardians of the Galaxy item just for Rocket Raccoon (for now). We’ll also be shipping a few SHIELD items that can be used by any of the heroes to give even more variety to choices.

The powers on these items will include some individual buffs and always at least one group buff (if not more). These won’t be the most powerful items ever created, but we expect they will add some fun and flavor. We expect to release them in the big August patch or shortly after.

Relics

I’m excited about these items. Relics will also add a new item slot to a character sheet.

Relics work like Badass-ranks from Borderlands. You can stack relics together and have them increase infinitely, with slightly less bonus added each time you add to the stack. This is something that “single-hero” players will definitely enjoy. There will be a wide range of relics that buff damage, survivability and utility of all types. We’ll start previewing these babies in the coming weeks.

Item Affixes

In the coming weeks, we’ll also be iterating on item affixes to remove and adjust the lame ones and add more cool affixes. This requires some programming, but it’s something we want to do continually as the game grows.

Future Items

Many future items are planned, from living items to ultimate items. We are following the philosophy that not every item needs to just be more powerful, but be powerful in certain situations with certain builds. The cosmic item you get today may still be your favorite item in a month or you may find something more appropriate for you. We are not strictly going for power creep, but more flexibility and giving you the ability to min/max your character as you choose.

Having said that, some uniques will be pretty awesome...

Have a great weekend.

Doomsaw

New forums are up (http://forums.marvelheroes.com), as well as a new dev blog:
Huge improvement over the old one.

Ya know, this truly feels like we are still in Open Beta with how much huge changes keep coming down the pipe and improving the game. I don't mean that as a complaint, however, because I'm really liking the direction they have been taking things. It seems every time I turn around I hear something new that I like about their upcoming patches.

Test Center news:
Ryolnir said:
To use Test Center, you will have to download a new client (which is a brand new client altogether). This applies to Steam and BitRaider users alike.
Ryolnir said:
We're replacing BitRaider. If you have troubles with the new patcher, we definitely want to know as this will be it's first go in the wild! An important part of Test Center will be testing the new patcher as well as the game.
Ryolnir said:
For the first round of Test Center testing, the new client is a very important part of testing. In the future, we may look into solutions involving Steam!

Oh and \o/ for +50% XP and SIF weekend.

Lord Phol

Emma Frost still needs rounds of iteration before she&#8217;s ready, then our focus will shift to Squirrel Girl, Luke Cage and finally Nova.

Nooo! This means it will be ages before I can play my main. :(

We will even have a Guardians of the Galaxy item just for Rocket Raccoon (for now).

This is yummie though!

inky

Kind of wanted to buy Iron Man after the tutorial (if there is one) since he's the only character that interests me.

Oh, OK, yes there is a prologue scene that acts as a tutorial. Well, just remember that after the tutorial you should have 2 of the 5 starter characters unlocked (you get to pick one at the beginning and you get a random one as a reward for going through it).

A few tips would be: there is a mechanic to level NPCs, namely, the vendors and the crafter. You should focus on leveling up the crafter by donating unwanted items, as he is the one who provides the most benefits. The stash room is rather limited, so just hold off on picking and storing extra stuff (especially crafting elements) which drop extremely often. Just pick them up when you know for sure you are going to need them.

If you have any questions, you can ask here.

J-Tier

Kind of wanted to buy Iron Man after the tutorial (if there is one) since he's the only character that interests me.

Maybe get a feel for the game with a starter, before buying Iron Man? Because eventually, you'll be able to buy all heroes with in-game currency (splinters), and might save you some money.

Ken

Just pick them up when you know for sure you are going to need them.

So crafting stuff is super common and I can easily go back and farm for them if I later find out I need some? Are there rare mats I should always pick up anyways?

Maybe get a feel for the game with a starter, before buying Iron Man? Because eventually, you'll be able to buy all heroes with in-game currency (splinters), and might save you some money.

How much is Iron Man? And how much play-time do you need to get enough to get a character on average?

inky

So crafting stuff is super common and I can easily go back and farm for them if I later find out I need some?

Sure. Also, crafting elements come in tiers, and with the crafter NPC you can combine 3 of them to get one of the next tier (not recommended), or split them into three of a lower tier for a small fee.

So basically, if you split one Tier II element, you get three Tier I elements in return, so you don't even need to go back to low level areas to get lower tier elements, just pick them where you are questing and split them if you really need them.

There are a few rare elements called Unstable Molecules, but those come into play much later on, and you'll only use them on higher level recipes. They are a bit uncommon, but don't worry about them. Later on you will also find costume cores, which allow you to craft some extra properties into the costume you are wearing. You should pick those up, but those only appear later in the game, and can't be used until you level your crafter quite a bit, so again don't worry about those either.

How much is Iron Man? And how much play-time do you need to get enough to get a character on average?

Iron Man is $15 i think, and the splinter system is not in yet (afaik) so no word on how long it will take to buy someone like him with that currency. Right now the hero drop rate is really random, but it is on the low side.

DrBo42

How should I spec Iron Man? I bought him since I had some money left in my Steam wallet.

Channeled repulsors. Death from above for knockdown AOE when you cannot survive the current damage (Maggia shotgun groups). Micro missiles/basic attack for bosses. Throw in some channeled repulsors in there as well if someone else has their attention and you don't need the mobility.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Relevant information from the Marvel Video Games panel (Paging Shaowebb):

12:42
Comment From Bekxs
marvel heroes iron fist, when?
Strommy:
@Bekxs Nothing on the books right now, but they really want to get him in there.

Strommy:
Asgard will be the newest zone added to Marvel Heroes, coming later this fall!

J-Tier

Relevant information from the Marvel Video Games panel (Paging Shaowebb):

Comment From Bekxs
marvel heroes iron fist, when?
Strommy:
@Bekxs Nothing on the books right now, but they really want to get him in there.

Strommy:
Asgard will be the newest zone added to Marvel Heroes, coming later this fall!

Yussss, Iron Fist. I want it. Also, Heroes for Hire super-team items? Pls. Thank you.

Now lets give us some more "obscure stuff". Ka-Zar (with Zabu summoning), Howard the Duck, and Man-Thing.

With how long its taking to get out just the first new hero, I don't have much hope for anything beyond the confirmed heroes so far for quite some time.

J-Tier

With how long its taking to get out just the first new hero, I don't have much hope for anything beyond the confirmed heroes so far for quite some time.

Yeah, Gazillion is kinda fresh to the scene. They barely have a handle on the current characters. Though, there should be a point where the game feels "post-beta" where new characters actually are released with some frequency/consistency. It's "Marvel Heroes" after all, at least from what I've read, that's the end goal.

Ken

Is there a way to turn on waypoint direction and distance for objectives, kind of like how it's done in LotRO? My biggest problem right now is wandering around maps and being confused how to get to mission objectives (currently on the docks).

Wallach

Is there a way to turn on waypoint direction and distance for objectives, kind of like how it's done in LotRO? My biggest problem right now is wandering around maps and being confused how to get to mission objectives (currently on the docks).

Not to my knowledge, and it frustrates me a lot too.

Anyone want to get a group together tomorrow for T3 Red Hood runs? They're worth a ton of XP with the weekend bonus, and they're pretty easy to clear around 45 and up from what I gather. Supposedly like 500k per run, which is a lot for a short area.

J-Tier

Haha, I got a pet raptor as a drop. Now I got an army following me with my summoned Wakandans and the Cosmic N'garai Demon.

Kurod

Banned
Not to my knowledge, and it frustrates me a lot too.

Anyone want to get a group together tomorrow for T3 Red Hood runs? They're worth a ton of XP with the weekend bonus, and they're pretty easy to clear around 45 and up from what I gather. Supposedly like 500k per run, which is a lot for a short area.

I'd be up for some Red Hood smashing. What time?

Ken

Should I be constantly crafting elements? They were taking up stash space so I just started combinging them but didn't realize they cost credits so is it worth the cash to combine?

Xevren

Should I be constantly crafting elements? They were taking up stash space so I just started combinging them but didn't realize they cost credits so is it worth the cash to combine?

Nah, I really only grab them if I need them. They really aren't that hard to get.

No. You'll find plenty of high level elements while running terminals/limbo.

Ken

They aren't worth anything, I don't even pick them up.

Oh okay lol.

Guess I'll continue grinding out my Iron Man. Level 16 at the moment. So far the game seems a little simple and not very deep, though it's still fun running through levels with a random group of other heroes ripping through trash mobs. Looks pretty good for a F2P game too.

Lord Phol

Human Torch Trailer

Looks pretty fun, can't wait to try him out on the Test Servers.
On another note, I really dig the new forums and how involved and funny the community/dev team is. I actually think this game could turn out to have a good community, even most people in-game are nice.

So no hint of when any of the new difficulty modes or content is coming? Put in about 45 hours into it, had lot of fun but those terminals are just so boring to keep doing.

Wallach

I'd be up for some Red Hood smashing. What time?

Sorry, I didn't even remember to check the thread again after I posted this...

With the XP weekend closing I'll probably spare my Hulk the defeat counter blow up anyway and just do my dailies or Limbo until the test server goes up this week. Sounds like they're still trying to get this patch live by the end of the month, but that would mean there won't be a lot of time for players to test it. Still more testing than the last big patch goes, I suppose.

I got a Doom medallion tonight (T2 green), with a +40% power duration.
Does that seem unusually high? Its certainly the highest Ive seen, though I dont kill Doom too often.
Its awesome for Scarlet Witch.

WarMacheen

So, I never rush, usually killing everything on the map...only cyclops drops during my entire playtime.

Rushed T2 green bosses 1-5 with rested xp and got Daredevil off of Doc Oc, and Deadpool off of Magneto. Hmmm, luck I suppose, but I can see the rusher's perspective.

Wallach

Test server patch notes are up, but still incomplete since the hero changes aren't all in yet. Client download is supposed to be available tomorrow.

USER INTERFACE

New options exist on the chat window to control chat filters.

Floating combat text has been added to test center. Expect a few iterations as we iterate on these to ensure they look good and work right. Green is healing, red is damage and yellow are critical hits.

Additional minor functionality has been added to the Supergroup interface (some sorting technology, display of officer and supergroup name appearing on tab). Additional functionality will be added in future patches.

Additional chat functionality has been added along with &#8220;social&#8221;, &#8220;lfg&#8221; and &#8220;endgame&#8221; channels with UI to control them. More chat upgrades will appear in the future.

Keybinding can now be reverted to default settings.

You can now map mouse buttons 3-6 to various game functions.

The daily terminals will now tell you if you can earn a Cube Shard by completing them.

PERFORMANCE UPGRADES

Many areas of the game have performance improvements. Some are very significant and noticeable and some are minor. More details will be added in a future set of notes.

GAMEPLAY CHANGES

Damage-over-time powers can now critical hit.

NEW IN-GAME ITEMS

A new silver Ultron pet has been added to the store. Avengers Assemble!

A new crafter summon item has been added to the store. This is a permanent summon item that allows you to summon a crafter every hour.

ITEMS

Eternity Splinters now drop as loot, at an extremely high rate for Test Center. Live drop rate will be lower, but this should help test the vendor much faster.

Adam Warlock appears beside Gambit in each social hub, selling Heroes and Retcon potions for Eternity Splinters. Many more items will be added to Adam Warlock over time. Look for a forum thread asking for suggestions from you on what should be added.

Adam Warlock also sells a random hero box that could contain any hero, with a slight rarity curve based on which tier of hero it is (i.e. 600 Splinter Heroes appear slightly less, 200 Splinter heroes appear slightly more). We aren&#8217;t sure if we are going to put this into the game and we would like your feedback on it.

Many crafting elements are stackable up to 10.

We are experimenting with some gear number changes to increase the impact of gear at higher levels. This will require tuning. Basically higher-level gear will be more impactful to your damage and defense.

Darkhold Scroll gives bonus damage to &#8216;taunted&#8217; enemies.

Experience orbs from bosses last longer so they won&#8217;t disappear during cutscenes.

Mandarin Medal tooltips clarified. Several other tooltips rewritten or clarified. We will keep iterating on this when players report confusion about exactly what an item does.

Medal sell price is now higher, as intended.

The Bovine Sector recipe can be sold for 5,000 credits, so players have something to do with it when they find a second one. To ensure you don&#8217;t accidentally donate a recipe, there is a confirmation pop-up.

Six costumes have very minor name changes to conform with Marvel lore.

The &#8216;Mystery Eggs&#8217; have hatched into gift boxes. They will hatch into a Starter Hero you don&#8217;t own, or a Fortune Card if you have unlocked all of the heroes. Note, whatever your egg produces on the Test Server may not be the same for the Live game &#8211; it&#8217;s a random choice.

Unstable molecules go into crafting S.T.A.S.H. tabs now. Testing will be required to confirm this on edge-cases.

Costume Cores

All costume cores now have either 25% item rarity boost or 20% special item find, in addition to other bonuses.

We realize most players prefer one of those bonuses, so we added those to every core in addition to other bonuses so players could personalize their heroes better.

All cores will have 0-2 additional bonuses in addition to item rarity boost or special item find. New bonuses have been added to cores, which you will discover.

Existing cores are unchanged.

MISSIONS

Many small and medium sized changes to missions in various chapters. Too many to list, but should continue to make the new player experience smoother and more fun.

NEW ZONE CONTENT

A few new mob types have been added in the world. In addition Poison Cloud and Missile Shield may be present on enemies. With the latter, missile users will need to enter within approximately half screen range in order to damage the enemy.

The following zone content has been added by the world team. Most of these were slated for launch but didn&#8217;t make it in.

Chapter 1: &#8220;Symbiote Infestation&#8221; side mission in Crumbling Brownstones

Chapter 3: &#8220;Demonic Incursion&#8221; event in the Bamboo Forest

Chapter 7: &#8220;Dinosaur Graveyard&#8221; Treasure room in the Dinosaur Jungle (new larger TR format)

Chapter 7: &#8220;Sacred Valley&#8221; Treasure room in the Dinosaur Jungle (new larger TR format)

PVP

New PvP modes are in progress, but not in this test release. The new &#8220;Fire and Ice&#8221; themed PVP map is under heavy internal testing and development and will be released in August. It will be available on test center in a few weeks. Other modes are in various stages of development.

LIMBO COMPLETELY REVAMPED &#8211; NEW ZONE ADDED

Enter Manhattan to keep the city safe. More detailed notes on this new mode are forthcoming.

Highlights: - Patrol Manhattan to fight crime, save civilians and keep the city safe. - Available for all levels of players. - New super villain groups attack the city periodically and must be shut down. - No time limit, no &#8220;threat&#8221; meter. Everything is challenging, but manageable with the right gear and tactics.

HEROES:

Hero upgrades happen every day; MANY upgrades will appear on test server in the next week but will not be captured in these patch notes.

Wolverine

Wolverine has been improved. Damage on powers is increased instead of relying on the power damage synergy system; damage synergies have been wiped out and replaced with higher base values across the board. We'll be monitoring this shift closely to see if it has the desired effect of making Wolverine more interesting to build without really shifting his overall power level.

Even with the new Critical Hit proc direction, the AoE Basic Power Hack 'n' Slash wasn't really hitting an appealing niche, so we're remaking it as a Basic Power that generates bonus Fury on hit/crit.

We're narrowing the attack speed gap between Quick Slash and Wolverine's other Basic powers by speeding Bloody Slash and Hack 'n' Slash up (Quick Slash will remain the fastest option).

Adamantium Skeleton now unlocks at level 20, features higher Physical and Energy resistance, and increases Tenacity against all negative status effects instead of just forced movement.

The missile defense component on Feral Senses didn't really accomplish the goal of pairing minimap radar with something that impacts Wolverine builds, so we're replacing that aspect of the power with a scaling Crit Chance bonus and making it unlock at level 8.

Wolverine's bleed effects should now tick every half second instead of every second for smoother damage delivery.

Adrenaline Rush is now a toggled effect that reserves a portion of your Spirit and can be left on indefinitely, buffs have been retuned to scale more smoothly across ranks to fit the new behavior.

Regeneration Boost is getting a slight decrease in cost and increase to the amount healed.

Cage The Beast should no longer be usable when Spirit is already full.

Hulk

Hulk&#8217;s hit points increased by 20%.

Like all heroes, Hulk is training in the danger room and will emerge better, faster and stronger in the near future.

CHARACTER SHEET AND TERMINOLOGY

A few new stats have been added to the character sheet. We are looking to iterate on this and ensure it&#8217;s very easy to understand.

We have renamed +Damage on items to +Damage Rating. There is no change to functionality. This allows us to explain power damage coefficients easier in the future.

Players were often confused when they used a +10 damage boost and didn&#8217;t get +10 damage to every shot. This is because every power has a coefficient that multiplies that damage boost appropriately. We are working to ensure tooltips take this into consideration.

Autofire powers, particularly, get less +Damage per shot, whereas a power like Hulk&#8217;s Punch gets full effect from each point of +Damage.

Work is underway to have tooltips take the damage coefficient into consideration and correctly display the damage range of the power.

No powers have been changed in any way, this is simply a presentation issue.

BUG FIXES

Many small and large bugs fixed. Too many to list at this time, but a full list will come when this patch goes live.

Can't wait to see the reaction to the periodic damage fix. I like that it only says "DoTs can now crit" but fails to mention that it will also then scale down on a per-player basis like all other forms of damage so you're not going to be doing multiple factors more damage than people using regular attacks in 10+ group content.

Lord Phol

Test server patch notes are up, but still incomplete since the hero changes aren't all in yet. Client download is supposed to be available tomorrow.

Can't wait to see the reaction to the periodic damage fix. I like that it only says "DoTs can now crit" but fails to mention that it will also then scale down on a per-player basis like all other forms of damage so you're not going to be doing multiple factors more damage than people using regular attacks in 10+ group content.

Lot of great stuff there, the game is really starting to shape up compared to when I first played it. Looking forward to damage numbers.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So eternity splinters mean that all hero unlocks can now be actually grindable? Good choice.

The daily terminals will now tell you if you can earn a Cube Shard by completing them.

I cant wait for this addition.
It will save me alot of time and rested xp. Trying to keep mental notes of when i last beat red terminal Mandarin etc, has been a big pain in the ass.

Ken

Hm so I beat Dr. Doom in chapter 7. Is that the end of the story? Do I just run these "green missions" or whatever for shards? Is repeating the same mission good for leveling even if there's no shard at the end? Level 24 ATM.

Hm so I beat Dr. Doom in chapter 7. Is that the end of the story? Do I just run these "green missions" or whatever for shards? Is repeating the same mission good for leveling even if there's no shard at the end? Level 24 ATM.

Yeah Doom is the end. As long as the enemies are green or orange to you, you're getting proper amounts of exp. Green is fine to run for a while, but if you can do Red terminals you'll get much more exp out of those. Then of course there's also limbo (the purple terminal) every time the countdown timer for that is up.

Test server page and client download link is up: https://marvelheroes.com/test-center
The new launcher doesn't seem AS bad as bit raider was, but it's still pretty throttled for downloads:
2d2sc6Q.jpg
I've been getting ~300-600 KB/s normally get between 2-3 MB/s d/l via Steam.

Top Bottom