• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
God's Beard said:
If we're being honest-

High tier:
Magneto
Storm
Trish
Dante
Thor
Dormammu
MODOK
Akuma
Zero

low tier:
Wesker
Sentinel
Haggar
C.Viper
Chun Li
Tron
Joe
Hsien Ko

To be honest seems like a joke list or a random tier ;)

To be fair, semt should probably be mid tier. I really think Wesker is bad. This is coming from someone who had him on their first team. He does have the best low assist, though. His lack of anti-air game is just too much to ignore.

Ferrio

Banned
God's Beard said:
His mobility is better than people think because he can cancel his airdash recovery or air dash into falcon kicks. His normals are great because they do a ton of damage and can be kara canceled into his throw or whatever you want if you see them blocking. His mobility and command throws are better than she hulk's. Also, my definition of high tier is top third, not necessarily a class above the rest of the cast.

His normals suck period, i don't care how much damage they do they're slow and very unsafe. Shehulk has a better grappling game by far. The only thing Thor has over her in that regard is he can command throw while airborn, which shehulk doesn't give a damn about cause her regular airthrow is awesome.

You can reset whenever you want by kara canceling into mighty hurricane.

What are you karaing? The only thing I know you can kara even remotely helpful with him is his s.H or c.H which isn't much of a reset since it can only be chained from his A.

Ferrio

Banned
God's Beard said:
...then cancel them into something that isn't? if they xfactor hyper, just cancel into mighty punish.

Cancel into what? His beam has too slow of a startup. You can't cancel into his throw or it'll wiff, I'm pretty sure both his mighty strike/smash are punishable on block. Thing is his resets could be great , but to force people into resets you need to make them scared enough to block up. Thor doesn't have anything like that.

krazen

Everyone is hating on X-Factor, but they are forgetting an important thing...Capcom feels modern fighting games need a comeback aspect.

This I can't fault them: looking at the popularity of ultra's in SF4. People were complaining about them similarly to how they are complaining about X-Factor now (although, I have to admit I do think this gripe is a legit one). As someone who's played and watched enough tourney's, I have to admit it's pretty fun watching someone make a miraculous comeback through a well time/planned/baited and executed combo+ultra.

The problem is, being a 3 on 3 game, to add something to the system to make it feasible for someone to comeback it has to be powerful because you have a lot more things stacked against you in the late game then in SF4. (Your one char can't regen or call assists probably hurting your combo potential, his multiple chars are healing and still assist each other). Simply making the char faster or power powerful isn't enough cause the other player has more options...which is why imho design wise X-Factor 3 is so godly with a purpose...if you catch the other player slipping you can still tie it up.

I don't mind them changing the aspects of it to feel less 'cheap' but at the same time if you make it weaker then it pretty much loses what I think it's intended purpose is for. I might make the time a bit stringent (maybe half it...which wouldn't even really nerf it considering it's canceling abilities...you would only use it in a guaranteed combo situation). But some of the options thrown around defeat the whole purpose

Ferrio said:
His beam has too slow of a startup.

beam L and M are both safe cancels off of H and 2H, beam L is safe off of M and 2M.

Ferrio said:
You can't cancel into his throw or it'll wiff

If they block the jump in and A, then kara H.

Ferrio said:
I'm pretty sure both his mighty strike/smash are punishable on block.

Mighty Smash H is +9 on block.
You can instant air mighty strike M or H off of his launcher and it's safe, you beat push block and it's +13 on block.

Ferrio said:
Thing is his resets could be great , but to force people into resets you need to make them scared enough to block up. Thor doesn't have anything like that.

...all the options I listed lead to combos if they don't block.

Shingin

Offcast will be streaming Wednesday Night Fights 2.2 tonight. Justin, Marn, Combofiend, Clockw0rk, floe and the other socal players are expected to show up tonight to compete for 1k pot. Offcast will be doing a donation raffle for a Comic Con TE stick.

http://www.justin.tv/offcast

We hope to start at 8pm but more realistically since people like to show up late or take forever to register we should be starting around 9pm.

We will be using the latest version of mvc3 for tonights tournament.

Bleepey

I don't understand the hatred for Xfactor as much as it can be used as a comeback took it's probably one of the most offensive tools to ever make its way into a fighting game.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Bleepey said:
I don't understand the hatred for Xfactor as much as it can be used as a comeback took it's probably one of the most offensive tools to ever make its way into a fighting game.

Used to hate it, starting to like it. Just have to understand that xfactor means you are now in evasion mode or you activate your own...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DarkoMaledictus said:
Any word when the WFN stream is starting and where?
Three posts up from you.
Shingin-Leveluplive said:
Offcast will be streaming Wednesday Night Fights 2.2 tonight. Justin, Marn, Combofiend, Clockw0rk, floe and the other socal players are expected to show up tonight to compete for 1k pot. Offcast will be doing a donation raffle for a Comic Con TE stick.

http://www.justin.tv/offcast

We hope to start at 8pm but more realistically since people like to show up late or take forever to register we should be starting around 9pm.

We will be using the latest version of mvc3 for tonights tournament.

From my tests, Thor is only slightly slower than Trish. You just have to triangle jump everywhere like he was Doctor Doom. His air dashes are fast as hell if you cancel them with a normal.

God's Beard said:
How is gustaff any worse than a beam assist or anything else wesker gets a crossup on?

gustaff staff has stupid invul frames at the start and the flame comes out almost instantly. Her only period where she's vulnerable is at the end of the flame for a VERY brief period. Her assist is probably top 3 (after Haggar and Hsien-Ko's pendulum with gold armor)

Bleepey said:

The problem with Xfactor is that it rewards you for losing. It's the same reason why I hate the Ultra system in SF4. Why should you be rewarded for getting hit? Sure, you both have access to X-Factor, but the guy who lost two chars early has access to level 3 while if I had all my chars, I only have access to level 1.

I'm thinking of replacing Trish with Magneto. I pretty much just use Trish for mixups and her level 3, and magneto is basically a better trish with no traps. He's just so fucking fast, and his flight is too good. I won't need to DHC to get OTG combos, either.

Only thing I lose is chip damage and a couple crazy Thor resets, but then I could put thor in the middle because I won't need him after Trish any more.

Hmm...

MODOK/Trish/Thor
or
MODOK/Thor/Magneto?

Prototype-03 said:
gustaff staff has stupid invul frames at the start and the flame comes out almost instantly. Her only period where she's vulnerable is at the end of the flame for a VERY brief period. Her assist is probably top 3 (after Haggar and Hsien-Ko's pendulum with gold armor)

Yes, that is apparent. I just don't see how it matters since wesker protects assists so well as it is.

God's Beard said:
Well if wesker teleports behind you, pretty much any assist is impossible to punish without using some full screen move.

Depends on the positioning sometimes, characters like Wolvie have normals that have a hitbox that will hit behind them on the ground so if you use the teleport to close they'll take a hit.

However to claim Wesker is low tier would be ludicrous. He can fly solo, is monster in x-factor, and has amazing synergy both as an assist and a point character in just about every team.

Spirit of Jazz said:
Depends on the positioning sometimes, characters like Wolvie have normals that have a hitbox that will hit behind them on the ground so if you use the teleport to close they'll take a hit.

How would you combo off of an assist if you teleport away when you're close to them? Is there enough hitstun for dash 2M? Even if, I can't see gustaff being the ultimate wesker assist. I would think sent drones or shield slash would allow for more opportunities with the gaps and all.

Spirit of Jazz said:
However to claim Wesker is low tier would be ludicrous. He can fly solo, is monster in x-factor, and has amazing synergy both as an assist and a point character in just about every team.
I'm biased because all my characters can fly.

God's Beard said:
How would you combo off of an assist if you teleport away when you're close to them? Is there enough hitstun for dash 2M? Even if, I can't see gustaff being the ultimate wesker assist. I would think sent drones or shield slash would allow for more opportunities with the gaps and all.

Well I use Spence and Akuma with my Wesker so I took for granted the fact their assists travel across the screen. I imagine you might be able to use his gun, teleport back into them and then use a M into his light palm strike to go into his otg shot.

krazen said:
Everyone is hating on X-Factor, but they are forgetting an important thing...Capcom feels modern fighting games need a comeback aspect.

This I can't fault them: looking at the popularity of ultra's in SF4. People were complaining about them similarly to how they are complaining about X-Factor now (although, I have to admit I do think this gripe is a legit one). As someone who's played and watched enough tourney's, I have to admit it's pretty fun watching someone make a miraculous comeback through a well time/planned/baited and executed combo+ultra.

I guess if you like watching fights just for their cinematics, it's fun. But if you're on the other side of that canned comeback, it doesn't make it fun. A lot of the complaints for Sagat and Ryu in the original version of SF4 came down to how much damage they could take off from their ultras. This isn't even an 'elite' complaint, but one I hear from the same people who hate Sentinel and such.

The "popularity" of ultras, amounted to them getting toned down for later releases for this very reason.

Whoo, Thor BnB does one million damage if I DHC into Magneto's level 3 :)

I'm sure other characters have much higher damage 4 bar combos, but considering I get 600k for free, that's pretty good until I absolutely need to kill a character. Probably better to end the combo earlier and get 750k from a lvl 1.

HiResDes

Sure X-factor should be left in the game, but I just don't see how anyone could justify not modifying it in some fashion...It would definitely make the game better, from a competitive standpoint.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God's Beard said:
Whoo, Thor BnB does one million damage if I DHC into Magneto's level 3 :)

I'm sure other characters have much higher damage 4 bar combos, but considering I get 600k for free, that's pretty good until I absolutely need to kill a character. Probably better to end the combo earlier and get 750k from a lvl 1.

Cool, taskmasters bnb does 930k with two supers and no DHC

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
0HU4B.jpg

It's big. Deal with it. Source is raptr though, so it's only data collected from people who have signed up to their service. Still interesting.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
enzo_gt said:
It's big. Deal with it. Source is raptr though, so it's only data collected from people who have signed up to their service. Still interesting.

That team one is LOL because they're going by the ACHIEVEMENTS and not the actual TEAMS people make.

Raptr is a joke anyway, as they only count PC/360. Of fucking course the 360 player base is going to have 6-9/10 of the "top ten played" be shooters (4-5 of which are various Call of Duties)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
QisTopTier said:
about 0% of this is relevant at all.
Aside from it being Raptr (how the fuck are they still alive?), 1 of the other 10 games played being WoW sets a precedent for an MvC3 MMO I think.

Level 3 X-Factor raids. Imagine.

McNum

About the Sentinel nerf, there one thing I haven't seen anyone mention yet. Wouldn't Capcom have access to an online matchup list? As in Team Akuma/Ameteratsu/Arthur defeats Team Wolverine/X-23/Zero this many percent of the time, most likely with the average remaining HP on each character and whether or not X-Factor had been used. Of course, this would exist for every single combination and individual characters. So if Sentinel had an abnormal win rate AND he had about 400,000 HP remaining in the same amount of wins that he was above the mean, then the reasons behind the nerf become very easy to see. Now with the time a patch takes to get through, this would probably only be based on the first week of online play, where Sentinel pretty much did rule supreme, so it makes sense. He would stick out like a sore thumb in win percentage then.

And, really, why shouldn't Capcom keep track of the online matchups? It's one of the fastest ways to get matchup information for the widest selection of your players. Of course, this would mean that MvC3 would be balanced towards online play, for good and ill.

McNum

QisTopTier said:
For ill cause the netcode is total ass
And that most online players aren't that good, myself included. But it is an awesome amount of data, and if a character begins to stand out a lot, it's easy to spot-nerf it. Like Sentinel.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
hitsugi said:
When people aren't familiar with task, they are floored by this. Also, its ridiculously easy to do

Any Youtube vids of that combo? Taskmaster's my favorite character in this game.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
xcopied that Magneto loop Marlin Pie was using the other night. Takes some practice, but it's actually not too hard to get down (though I haven't tried to do it online yet lawl). Pretty sure it's not an infinite because I can only get 5 reps, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom