• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

Professor Beef said:
A few people, actually. Getting in is tough from the looks of it, but he can do amazing damage when he finally does.

True, but I usually get more work out of Joe by forcing them to come at me and make a mistake. I play keep away with Joe to force people into fury and they either jump into an uppercut over a voomerang that leads to combo or they eat bomb on ground and get comboed.

My trouble is I just am not as fast with those projectiles with Joe as Arthur is. Often I set my wall and get teleported, spammed or have shit summoned on me from Dorm.

The tactic works but I think I need to learn a pattern of voomerangs and jumps between throws to keep them off joe's trail.

Fun guy to play though.

entremet

mr. puppy said:
has anyone made viewtiful joe work yet?
Apparently Justin Wong has been "in the lab" with Joe. Haven't seen his Joe on streams though. Flash Metroid also uses Joe, but he got bodied at Final Round.

Duelist said:
If you're just playing for fun, sure that sucks. If you're actually trying to get better at any fighting game, get used to it.
I can't disagree all that much since I consider myself(getting there at least) a part of the hardened community, but that curtness is not all that necessary.

It's unnecessarily aggressive.

Ok I completed the Jill combo I was working on earlier. This version seems to have the best options:

jump MMHS, land, jump MMHS, MHS, jump MMHS, OTG assist, Arrow Kick, Knee Drop H xx Gun Hyper DHC Whatever

After the Arrow Kick, instead of hypers you can go for a late air H, then launcher into another air combo and potentially a relaunch if you have 2 otg assists. You can also dash under after the late H for a clean reset.

This combo starter only works on above average height characters, and only in the corner for some.

It's not super high damage unless you drop a bunch of meter, but it's good for the setups it gives, worth knowing. Jill's real damage comes from serious finger magic and her feral crouch. It's crazy how good it is.

Caj814

Not gonna name anyone but this is a recreation of what happened a couple nights ago when I was down to Sentinel with only a magic pixel left but full bars and x-factor intact. I tried doing a tiger knee hard drive to try and punish a whiff which was actually safe and saw that I was about to eat a team attack and lose. . .

but. . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4rvQPzZDo4

In the real match the team died much faster since it was level 3 x-factor while the video is only level 1. Also surprisingly no hate mail. I think we were both in pure shock with that happening in the end.

Caj814 said:
Not gonna name anyone but this is a recreation of what happened a couple nights ago when I was down to Sentinel with only a magic pixel left but full bars and x-factor intact. I tried doing a tiger knee hard drive to try and punish a whiff which was actually safe and saw that I was about to eat a team attack and lose. . .

but. . .

In the real match the team died much faster since it was level 3 x-factor while the video is only level 1
Heh, awesome comeback.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
u9oKY.jpg

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
LordAlu said:
I always send out a gg whether I win or lose. If I lose particularly badly i'll ask to play them some more so I can learn :)

Wish I did, mostly get no feedback... maybe they talk in the mic but volume is off to cut people from being jerks.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Usually don't respond if someone just sends me "gg" unless it's someone on my friends list or someone I just played a bunch of matches with. If someone sends me something with more depth then I'll usually respond.

What's the point of sending "gg" after every match? Strikes me as sort of strange. Like you have OCD but instead of being obsessed with cleaning the kitchen and bathing in Lysol, your thing is good sportsmanship.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So I win a lot more now playing keepaway... this feels wrong though in a way haha, a lot of people have NO idea how to respond.

Neki

Caj814 said:

but. . .

In the real match the team died much faster since it was level 3 x-factor while the video is only level 1. Also surprisingly no hate mail. I think we were both in pure shock with that happening in the end.

love the mega man music.

LordAlu

Lost Fragment said:
Usually don't respond if someone just sends me "gg" unless it's someone on my friends list or someone I just played a bunch of matches with. If someone sends me something with more depth then I'll usually respond.

What's the point of sending "gg" after every match? Strikes me as sort of strange. Like you have OCD but instead of being obsessed with cleaning the kitchen and bathing in Lysol, your thing is good sportsmanship.
Manners. :)

JeTmAn81

msdstc said:
So I win a lot more now playing keepaway... this feels wrong though in a way haha, a lot of people have NO idea how to respond.
Yeah, I feel pretty bad spamming the arrows with Taskmaster, but they do so much damage and the guide even says that's how you're supposed to play him. The better players find a way around it. I've discovered that Magneto's EM beam wins every time against Tasky's lateral shot.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
One of the guys on that San Diego stream from earlier was playing a super obnoxious runaway Taskmaster. I think need to go into the lab with Tasky.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
JeTmAn81 said:
Yeah, I feel pretty bad spamming the arrows with Taskmaster, but they do so much damage and the guide even says that's how you're supposed to play him. The better players find a way around it. I've discovered that Magneto's EM beam wins every time against Tasky's lateral shot.

I still don't even know how to properly use magneto, however I keep him my team, because his beam is ridiculously fast. I keep these people at distance, and use this to plan my next moves. It really allows you to force people into your traps. Still have a lot of learning to do, but at least I'm finally using some legitamte strategy.

smurfx

get some go again
fuck this game!!!!! god damn its so infuriating sometimes. those two weeks i took off really fucked me good. i think i have to ditch haggar too. he becomes a huge liability when he is left alone and i'm facing a bunch of projectile spammers.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Lost Fragment said:

Every match no, some good ones will send gg + other text

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Ferrio said:
Ya and if my opponent eats either, it's an easy 700k-750k dmg with one meter.

Yeah that gold armor is beast. Got beasted today by a darkstalker team, had no idea what to do against the gold armor and that mid air assist.

Ferrio

Banned
DarkoMaledictus said:
Yeah that gold armor is beast. Got beasted today by a darkstalker team, had no idea what to do against the gold armor and that mid air assist.

Have to snap back, or catch her in a beam. She'll interrupt ya, but she'll take a ton of damage so they'll either stop calling her out.. or send her to her eventual death.

Dahbomb

If people are having trouble getting in on your keep away then you are doing it right and they are doing it wrong.

Don't feel bad about spamming projectiles but always have something in the bag when they do get in. A lot of characters in MVC3 especially the zoners can do some serious damage if character do end up coming in their non-comfortable zone. Someone like Chris can pretty much kill a character with his BnB combos.

Seriously as a Dormammu player I love controlling the space. It's especially hilarious when they do get in a combo only to eat the Flame Carpet and I just teleport away and set another Flame Carpet, start the whole thing over. But I personally like to rush in too so people don't get too bothered with my play.

I got a question for you guys... which characters do you guys think are good "2nd" characters? We always here about good point characters (1st) or good assist/anchor characters (3rd). In MVC2 2nd character was usually the main character who utilized the meter bar built by the 1st character like Storm/Cable. I believe the 2nd character in MVC3 is very pivotal and might have to be your strongest all around character.

Here's what I look at when looking for a good 2nd character:

*DHC option from point character and Team Aerial Combo potential
*DHC option into anchor character
*Utilization of meter
*X factor reliance or not
*All around game
*Synergy with assists from Point (if survived) and Anchor character
*Different style of play from Point character to cover up his match up weaknesses

My personal top 5 "2nd characters":

Storm, Dormammu, Taskmaster, Doom, Amaterasu

Semblance

Interesting, I think I might agree with your second having to be strongest character. It's a key role at any rate.

I use X / Tron for all my teams, Tron always second. Great synergy with X and she's just a ton of fun to use, most importantly. I'd probably anchor her but if I'm down to just Tron and up against a projectile spammer, I get zoned out too easily. :/ She does need a bit of assist help in some match-ups. Still, she's a great second char. Jump H all day, erryday.

V_Arnold

In my current team, Deadpool is the opener, Wesker is my 2nd char, and I leave the rest to Trish when all hell breaks loose. It works when I am able to keep Wesker alive and kill a char or two. If my opponent is WAY worse than me, then Deadpool rapes all three opponents. If not, well. Keepaway trish with surprise trap combos all the way :D

Zissou

Dahbomb said:
If people are having trouble getting in on your keep away then you are doing it right and they are doing it wrong.

Don't feel bad about spamming projectiles but always have something in the bag when they do get in. A lot of characters in MVC3 especially the zoners can do some serious damage if character do end up coming in their non-comfortable zone. Someone like Chris can pretty much kill a character with his BnB combos.

Seriously as a Dormammu player I love controlling the space. It's especially hilarious when they do get in a combo only to eat the Flame Carpet and I just teleport away and set another Flame Carpet, start the whole thing over. But I personally like to rush in too so people don't get too bothered with my play.

I got a question for you guys... which characters do you guys think are good "2nd" characters? We always here about good point characters (1st) or good assist/anchor characters (3rd). In MVC2 2nd character was usually the main character who utilized the meter bar built by the 1st character like Storm/Cable. I believe the 2nd character in MVC3 is very pivotal and might have to be your strongest all around character.

Here's what I look at when looking for a good 2nd character:

*DHC option from point character and Team Aerial Combo potential
*DHC option into anchor character
*Utilization of meter
*X factor reliance or not
*All around game
*Synergy with assists from Point (if survived) and Anchor character
*Different style of play from Point character to cover up his match up weaknesses

My personal top 5 "2nd characters":

Storm, Dormammu, Taskmaster, Doom, Amaterasu

I rock Deadpool, storm, and sentinel. Sent assist helps both deadpool and storm as long as they're alive. When either one dies, the remaining character plus DHC glitch can lead to big damage combos with sent. Deadpool and storm are both good, but deadpool goes in first to build the meter, and storm, the more meter hungry of the two, uses the meter. Storm benefits from a low hitting assist if deadpool is still alive, and deadpool benefits from storm's A assist pushing people out and helping with zoning.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
OK, I suck at this game. Awfully. I can do some combos but no flashy stuff.

My team is Chun/Ryu/Dante. And I suck. Very badly even though I have fighting game experience. Tips? :p!

Semblance

Relix said:

My team is Chun/Ryu/Dante. And I suck. Very badly even though I have fighting game experience. Tips? :p!

Tell Ryu to go back to Super, bring in Akuma instead. Lightning Legs / Hurricane Kick / Jam Session for assists. I'd prolly put Dante on point and Akuma as anchor, but that's just me. Practice a solid BnB combo that you're comfortable with for each character. Dante teleport shenanigans can be pretty useful for online too, teleport's punishable, but not so easily with this netcode lawl. Call assist, teleport, attack from other side with assist. Abuse that.

You probably knew most of this this already, but hey. My 2c, anyway.

Morrigan definitely holds the top spot for me. It's hilarious watching someone struggle with my Hyper combos when I've got three bars and they have one.

It helps keep them at bay if they know that I can use a bar without breaking a sweat. Her meter building assist is way too good to pass up. Hsien-Ko is the one on my team who is a mismatch since her Hypers and DHC are not fast enough to reach an assist at a distance.

I should probably use a character with some sort of beam hyper if I really want to punish assists from far away. It'd be the clincher for me.

Edit: I wish they'd kept her beam hyper from MvC1 and MvC2. It'd be perfect against assists...

_dementia said:
same here. my X is so damn shitty.
I love her speed but I only know one really ghetto combo with her...
I can practically feel the opponent roll their eyes every time I do the same combo over and over again :/

Dahbomb

Relix said:

Pro tip: Stylish/flashy combos don't win you matches.

Learn the bread and butter combos for all these characters. Simple combos that span a ground combo into air combo and an OTG if possible (although except for Dante those characters lack OTG options). Know your character's specials and hypers, when to use them and when not to use them (check out character guides or Shoryuken's MVC3 Hyper guide).

Next go for Team Synergy. Judging by your team, you got characters with 3 good assists so at least you have that base covered. Put Dante on Jam Session (Alpha assist), Ryu on Hurricane Kicks and Chun Li on Kicks as well. Save either Chun Li or Ryu for last, Dante on point but try not to get him killed so quick as he might save your ass later.

Basically you should do this: Start with Dante then Ryu then Chun Li. Spam Chun Li's assist and teleport behind them with Dante (works against scrubs) and then go for your bread and butter if you connect. When Dante is low on health, wait for when you have 2 bars and try to see if they are calling out assists. As soon as they call out an assist, Devil Trigger and then DHC into Ryu's Shinku Hadouken for the assist punish. This will tag out your Dante and allow him to recover health quickly and put Ryu on point. Super jump and use L Tatsu kicks to cross up and spam Chun Li's kicks. Now you have Dante's godly anti-air assist for people trying to get you from the skies. ALWAYS PUNISH THEIR ASSISTS WITH RYU'S BEAM... it's like his most effective use on a team. Other than that with Ryu just keep fill the screen with fireballs if they are good at rushdown and try to punish their mistake. If they get in pull out an assist and push them away with advancing guard. If they are zoning, try to get in by super jump into L Tatsu kicks to try to cross them up for a combo.

When you lose both Ryu and Dante, go X Factor LVL3 with Chun Li and just air dash into lightning kicks. Her speed and power is going to be too much for the other player to handle anyway. The rest of the stuff will come from experience and being better at defense. You need to learn other character's mix up stuff because if you don't know how to deal with something like Wesker/Zero teleports you will be free to a lot of combos that will kill you.

Dahbomb

You should probably be playing Player matches first though. I don't really play online, just on local but I can imagine the Ranked matches to be a cheese fest. A lot of people will be abusing top tier strategies (well top tier now) so it's not going to be a lot of fun if you are new.

And I would second that advice on swapping Ryu with Akuma. I mean Ryu isn't the worst and you can still win matches with him plus he has an amazing super but... Akuma is just better than him. Just compare their assists, Akuma's Tatsu kick assist is one of the best in the game and allows for easy combos off of it. Akuma has less health though so you have to be more careful with him.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Can someone post a list of all 8-way dash chars? I'm workin on building a new team - Team Tri-Jump - and could use a quick reference list of candidates.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
_dementia said:
same here. my X is so damn shitty.
eh, the stuff in that vid was all due to x-factor though...I'm not sayin it wasn't tight, but it seems like x-23 has insane reset potential w/ the mirage feints. She is on my A-team, but is honestly the weakest link on it; but I'm barely using the feints yet.

Also the ability to cancel them with S seems godlike, but I'm just not there yet, with her.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips for a Taskmaster/Dante/Wesker team?

Taskmaster is definitely my point character but I just can't settle on who works best second or last. My assists are Alpha for Task, the gun OTG for Wesker though I've never managed to practically use it so far and Jam Session for Dante. I've gotten most fundamentals down but assists still go drastically underused and I often mess up the timing and get them caught if I do.

My second team is Task/Super Skrull/Dante, but the problems I have with that team is that I consistently mess up DHC's with Super Skrull. Either I accidentally use the INFERNO special on enemies that are too far away when switching in or I mess up the angle on the other hyper. Also I can't reliably start a normal combo with Super Skrull, which means I'm really relying on mini combos followed by hypers like grab -> teleport -> inferno, (sometimes accidental) tenderizer -> inferno etc.

Dahbomb

Full 8 Way Air Dash:

Magneto
Storm
Crimson Viper
Trish
Phoenix
Dormammu
Dr. Doom
Thor
Iron Man
MODOK
Jill (in LVL3 Hyper mode only)

But if you are talking about crossing up like a tri-dash then someone like Amaterasu, Zero, Wolverine, Spencer or Spider Man can technically do something like that using their special moves (hell even Ryu can cross you up with his L Tatsu kicks). A lot of characters have a lot of mobility in this game, like teleports, double jumps, triple jumps, flight mode and other shenanigans to cross up or do stuff similar to tri-dashing. A lot of characters can do air dashes as well.

Dahbomb

Nils said:
Any tips for a Taskmaster/Dante/Wesker team?

Taskmaster is definitely my point character but I just can't settle on who works best second or last. My assists are Alpha for Task, the gun OTG for Wesker though I've never managed to practically use it so far and Jam Session for Dante. I've gotten most fundamentals down but assists still go drastically underused and I often mess up the timing and get them caught if I do.

My second team is Task/Super Skrull/Dante, but the problems I have with that team is that I consistently mess up DHC's with Super Skrull. Either I accidentally use the INFERNO special on enemies that are too far away when switching in or I mess up the angle on the other hyper. Also I can't reliably start a normal combo with Super Skrull, which means I'm really relying on mini combos followed by hypers like grab -> teleport -> inferno, (sometimes accidental) tenderizer -> inferno etc.
Second should be Wesker for sure because he needs that Dante Jam Session to protect him from the sky and do additional damage off of his OTG Gun shot. He can also catch stray jumps in with Dante's Jam Session into Maximum Wesker hyper. Dante for anchor/assist although you can play him at any place really. You might fair well also if you put Dante on point and Taskmaster last, just because you can really abuse Dante's teleports while having assists on deck.

With Super Skrull you should be doing Command grab into dash plus jump up d+H into dash + Launcher, air combo, OTG with Tenderizer (or other OTG), Skrull hyper. You can do a semi-loop with d+H -> dash launcher -> j.S > d+H (while still in the air) -> dash launcher repeat. Check out Tragic's videos for Skrull to get an idea of what I am talking about.

Yeah with Skrull it's really easy to mess up easy shit like basic air combos MMH and getting tenderizer or doing the wrong teleport/LVL3 hyper. I personally don't have a problem directing his Skull Torch hyper though, I usually just aim up/forward and gets the job done.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Dahbomb said:
Full 8 Way Air Dash:

Magneto
Storm
Crimson Viper
Trish
Phoenix
Dormammu
Dr. Doom
Thor
Iron Man
MODOK
Jill (in LVL3 Hyper mode only)

ty dude, cviper. Most definitely C. Viper. Her ground pound has got to OTG, right? And I just looked at her moves in the guide and saw she has a focus attack! That's so cool!

Team Tri-Jump
Mags, Doom, C. Vip
For now...no idea on the order or roles, yet.

My main team is

Team X-23 Is Too Squishy for Point and Tronn Is Too EZ-Mode: Except Her Flame Assist Is Very Nice to Have
X-23/Doom/Tronn
That flame assist will be missed, but maybe mag's force field assist will suffice.

edit: wow, you can cancel cvipe's burning kicks now?! oh awesome, she has her ex moves too!

Sblargh

Banned
I like how Dormammu and Trish control space (and wish to learn to play with one of them at least, probably Dormammu since characters with low health are too fragile for my noob self) as opposed to people like Iron Man and Modok.

I like the notion of the traps, of making areas of the screen dangerous for the other guy. Projectiles, on the other hand, seems like only a matter of patience.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Dahbomb said:
Pro tip: Stylish/flashy combos don't win you matches.

Learn the bread and butter combos for all these characters. Simple combos that span a ground combo into air combo and an OTG if possible (although except for Dante those characters lack OTG options). Know your character's specials and hypers, when to use them and when not to use them (check out character guides or Shoryuken's MVC3 Hyper guide).

Next go for Team Synergy. Judging by your team, you got characters with 3 good assists so at least you have that base covered. Put Dante on Jam Session (Alpha assist), Ryu on Hurricane Kicks and Chun Li on Kicks as well. Save either Chun Li or Ryu for last, Dante on point but try not to get him killed so quick as he might save your ass later. .

Hey I was wondering if I could get some advice like this? I actually have been doing a ton better now that I play keep away and have a few solid combos that I try to lure people in with. My team right now is Dante, Magneto, and Sentinel (my weakest). I use Dante as the main, Magneto is just straight keepaway, and I know a handful of solid combos with Sentinel. Also could you explain on point and anchor? Sorry I'm the biggest noob at this, but this strategy has actually been working, so I figure go from here and improve upon that.

Semblance

msdstc said:
Also could you explain on point and anchor?

Point: who goes first from your team, who is currently in and fighting. Anchor: last character left on your team.

Also if you play keep away with Mag, you could try using him on point instead. Keep away with Dante's Jam Session assist can be a pain in the ass to fight against.

Semblance

So I've been in the lab with Taskmaster this morning. I can already tell I'm going to mess up his hyper by pressing the wrong two buttons in a real match, but aside from that guaranteed bit of fun: el oh fucking el. Some pretty easy BnBs that do hella damage. On top of that, he fits in nicely with my X / Tron core, his horizontal arrow assist not only helps them get in but also gives them both a bit of extra damage in their combos. I have no idea why this guy wasn't on my team since day one. ¬_¬

smurfx

get some go again
GuiltybyAssociation said:
So I've been in the lab with Taskmaster this morning. I can already tell I'm going to mess up his hyper by pressing the wrong two buttons in a real match, but aside from that guaranteed bit of fun: el oh fucking el. Some pretty easy BnBs that do hella damage. On top of that, he fits in nicely with my X / Tron core, his horizontal arrow assist not only helps them get in but also gives them both a bit of extra damage in their combos. I have no idea why this guy wasn't on my team since day one. ¬_¬
task master is awesome. his arrows usually cancel out any beams and sometimes even manage to go through them and cause some damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom