• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cels

I'm having trouble doing double DP inputs on a stick. For example, this is required to do Dante's beehive attack (it's the kicking attack - with one DP it is the volcano downward punch). I can do it fine on a pad, but I'm way better doing most other things on a stick. I'm at the point where, using a stick, I can only get like 3/10 beehives to show up rather than volcanoes, and I'm sure I know the correct timing because I can do it 10/10 times on a pad. Any tips?

Actually IDK if it's even worth bothering with since I don't use the attack that much, there are probably other things I could work on that would more efficiently use my time.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
GuiltybyAssociation said:
Point: who goes first from your team, who is currently in and fighting. Anchor: last character left on your team.

Also if you play keep away with Mag, you could try using him on point instead. Keep away with Dante's Jam Session assist can be a pain in the ass to fight against.

I agree, I just time their jumps to Dante's assist.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just keep practicing in training mode. Eventually you'll adjust to doing FDDF motions on the stick.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
smurfx said:
task master is awesome. his arrows usually cancel out any beams and sometimes even manage to go through them and cause some damage.

His arrows are damn great, I'm beginning to feel bad using them sometimes as I know how frustrating projectile spam can be. I'm playing Task more as a rushdown character than I play him keepaway but it's cool to have both options. I couldn't do anything against keepaway Deadpool's early on in the game, now it's mostly extreme rushdown characters that give me a lot of troube. Zero and to a lesser extent X-23 being prime examples.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Arrow spam all day, erryday.

I just got done playing online with him and I think I hit a whopping two combos total, urgh. h8 u lag. At least they were wins.

I like to play as Chris (zoning of course) and Taskmaster gives me the most trouble out of the other zoning characters (Wolvie has the craziest rushdown, hate that spazzy fucker). Jump straight up and arrow M down at me. His forward arrows seem to beat Chris's projectiles as well.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
W9ySl.jpg

This is how I play Tron

Cels

TheSeks said:
Just keep practicing in training mode. Eventually you'll adjust to doing FDDF motions on the stick.

I can do a single 623 fine on both pad and stick, it's just doing 623 atk 623 atk really fast on a stick that gives me trouble. Unless I am misunderstanding your post?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
msdstc said:
Is it possible to set it to human?

Dummy Status: Player 2 (IIRC)

If you just want it to punch punch punch, Dummy Status: Attack, IIRC.

Ashkeloth

Lost Fragment said:

This is how I play Tron

THIS. This is the reason that I play Iron Man. I like Viewtiful Joe more than Iron man, but it is just so satisfying to Repulsor Blast anyone that tries stuff like this and then M>S>j.H>dj.H>j.dH>S>Smart Bomb>Proton Cannon>DHC.

It's amazing how many people come to rely on stuff like this so much that Repulsor Blast completely shuts them down. Dantes, Wolverines, Weskers, Trons, Hulks, Sents, X-23s, Spencers, Spideys, Zeros and more. A lot of the people that play those characters seem to not know much about approaching except teleport or airdash H or S.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Ashkeloth said:
THIS. This is the reason that I play Iron Man. I like Viewtiful Joe more than Iron man, but it is just so satisfying to Repulsor Blast anyone that tries stuff like this and then M>S>j.H>dj.H>j.dH>S>Smart Bomb>Proton Cannon>DHC.

It's amazing how many people come to rely on stuff like this so much that Repulsor Blast completely shuts them down. Dantes, Wolverines, Weskers, Trons, Hulks, Sents, X-23s, Spencers, Spideys, Zeros and more. A lot of the people that play those characters seem to not know much about approaching except teleport or airdash H or S.
Can do the same thing with haggar. People teleport I lariat their asses. Then hit them with da heeeeeeeeeeeeeee(punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch ground bounce launch into dat air combo)

Grifter

got a few phoenixes (phoenie) in my area and though I wouldn't say she's unfair due to her unique setup, I would say that the way you resort to fighting her just drains the fun out of the game. just imo. troll-on-troll action. also as a former x-men nerd, this is making me hate jean grey.

Grifter said:
got a few phoenixes (phoenie) in my area and though I wouldn't say she's unfair due to her unique setup, I would say that the way you resort to fighting her just drains the fun out of the game. just imo. troll-on-troll action. also as a former x-men nerd, this is making me hate jean grey.

I just ran from one for 50 seconds on Live. Just flew around with Doom and Sent to run out the clock. She has a smidgen of life. Then he messaged me and called me a fag, heh.

But yea, she makes the game un-fun kinda for me. Fighting her is not really "fighting", if that makes sense.

O wells.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Grifter said:

Her combos are really fun. I just wish they'd take out DP and give regular Phoenix more life, but I doubt they're gonna do that. She'd still be pretty stupid, anyway.

SmokeMaxX

Lost Fragment said:
Her combos are really fun. I just wish they'd take out DP and give regular Phoenix more life, but I doubt they're gonna do that. She'd still be pretty stupid, anyway.
That'd make her a lot weaker since she doesn't have the "transformation" to auto combo-break and can resume running away or setting up one-character 4 way mixups. Most characters would still be able to kill her with one combo anyway even if she went up to ~700k health. That and DP is realllly good.

But yeah, I don't think Dark Phoenix is overpowered or anything. It's just not fun fighting P/DP since a very valid tactic against this team is trying as hard as you can NOT to hit the character for 50 seconds. Also, an equally valid tactic (and my main strategy) against DP is to try to random her out with supers such as HSF. Considering doing a random hyper is a more valid tactic than like 90% of other normal approaches, I'd say that's a poor design choice. Perhaps I need to play against DP more though.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lost Fragment said:
Not gonna happen.

They most likely will make DP less overpowered.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
SmokeMaxX said:
That'd make her a lot weaker since she doesn't have the "transformation" to auto combo-break and can resume running away or setting up one-character 4 way mixups. Most characters would still be able to kill her with one combo anyway even if she went up to ~700k health. That and DP is realllly good.

She wouldn't be weak at all. You know how ridiculous her healing field super is, right? Even against Phoenix with 420k HP, killing her when she has that up can be kind of tricky. And if you hit her when she doesn't have it up and don't kill her, if she hits you she's going to get most of her health back since she can combo into that super and keep the combo going, dealing damage to you and regaining health at the same time. People just don't use that super now because they save for DP. Plus regular Phoenix would still have a ridiculous runaway game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oldschoolgamer said:
D.Phoenix makes me hate Gill even more than I already do...
Guess we're full circle again until we all start reiterating again 2-3 days from now that Dark Phoenix IS beatable.

enzo_gt said:
Guess we're full circle again until we all start reiterating again 2-3 days from now that Dark Phoenix IS beatable.

I think everybody agrees she is beatable (running away being a good tactic), it's that she is not fun to fight against and her gameplay design is dumb, because it encourages doing random hypers and running away for 50 seconds.

Azure J

I'm going to be so mad if Phoenix gets hit with the "dumb nerf" stick because of the whining the community is doing against her. Fixing her character properties so Phoenix herself can shine and DP mode is just a cool perk? I'm cool with that.

Ferrio

Banned
Ya if I don't get phoenix snapped into before 5 bars, I groan.

I finally faced another Shehulk player that didn't suck. Kinda hurts tasting your own medicine :(

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
enzo_gt said:

I've beaten her on more than one occasion. I just happened to be playing through Third strike today.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kimosabae said:
Anyone else HAATE exchange combos? Way too much reward for something so scrubby. ARRGH.
Probably the most balanced aspect of the game. Not even remotely scrubby cause it takes the same amount of skill to pull them off as it does to counter it. The risk vs. reward factor is pretty on point.

Morris

Disco Devil
Kimosabae said:
Anyone else HAATE exchange combos? Way too much reward for something so scrubby. ARRGH.

Good god, Air Exchange combos are the most rage inducing shit. I once played this guy who had phoenix (and had that morrigan assist too) on his team and all he did was air exchanges for meter building and did no normal combos at all, he was a high lord. I hate having to mash 360+S while i'm getting comboed.

Air Exchange is scrubbier than X Factor imho.

Ferrio

Banned
Morro! said:
Good god, Air Exchange combos are the most rage inducing shit. I once played this guy who had phoenix (and had that morrigan assist too) on his team and all he did was air exchanges for meter building and did no normal combos at all, he was a high lord. I hate having to mash 360+S while i'm getting comboed.

Air Exchange is scrubbier than X Factor imho.

Fought a guy that did that today, he broke down soon as I started snapping in his pheonix. Without a good assist backing him up he was kinda screwed.

I hate air exchange combos too, kinda a guessing game with them online due to lag.

hitsugi

enzo_gt said:
Probably the most balanced aspect of the game. Not even remotely scrubby cause it takes the same amount of skill to pull them off as it does to counter it. The risk vs. reward factor is pretty on point.

guessing vs execution.. strange comparison.

Kimosabae

Banned
Okay, so that post did come across as ridiculous to people other than me.

Obviously, "scrubby" isn't fair - I'm just airing frustration about it. A basement-level execution combo that potentially does 500,000+ damage and builds almost 3 meters just seems to be a bit much. Really seems like there's no reason attempting to land a full-exchange combo shouldn't be your opening tactic every match.

I think it'd be more justified if the person who breaks it has the ability to combo the opponent afterwards.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
hitsugi said:
guessing vs execution.. strange comparison.
Risk.. vs. Reward? Oh and XBL/PSN is disqualified for any serious game mechanic discussion anyways.

Kimosabae said:

Obviously, "scrubby" isn't fair - I'm just airing frustration about it. A basement-level execution combo that potentially does 500,000+ damage and builds almost 3 meters just seems to be a bit much. Really seems like there's no reason attempting to land a full-exchange combo shouldn't be your opening tactic every match.

I think it'd be more justified if the person who breaks it has the ability to combo the opponent afterwards.
Or did more damage for the actual counter, unless you really want 10 minute air combos going back and fourth over and over again in the air, which is much more ridiculous.

People don't utilize them in high level play due to the risk factor, and how apparently easy it is counter. It's not as free as you make it sound.

Kimosabae

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Or did more damage for the actual counter, unless you really want 10 minute air combos going back and fourth over and over again in the air, which is much more ridiculous.

People don't utilize them in high level play due to the risk factor, and how apparently easy it is counter. It's not as free as you make it sound.

OR...

You could simply limit these encounters to one Exchange series per player. If one player gets his Exchange countered and the other player opts to Exchange and gets his countered, both players lose the ability to Exchange until they become neutral.

And I'd say Exchange isn't heavily used at high-levels yet because the game is still new and it doesn't help that there's an obvious stigma attached to it. Assuming it stays as is, it will have to become an integral part of every team - there's no question. It's that powerful.

And I'm actually starting to see it quite a bit more in tournament matches.

Grifter

just how is it easy to counter? far as i know, you can't buffer multiple directions (and who really wants to mash those counters anyway?) the reward far outweighs the risk since you can't return a combo or get your own meter bonus.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Kimosabae said:

So, you are getting hit by air exchanges over and over? I can tell who the scrub is :D

Also taskmasters bnb is pretty damn easy and it does over 9k -.- 5k aint shit

Oh and the risk of doing one is totally shitty end combo's early around 400-500k or go for a team combo to gain super and do the same dmg you would of done anyways.

Cels

you'll always see team aerials online because they're much safer due to the lag, you have a 15-frame window to input the counter, and those 15 frames could easily pass you by because of latency, not because you react slowly.

in tournaments on the other hand there is a real risk of the player being comboed getting a reset with the team aerial counter. i think being able to end the combo is enough of a reward. after all you were the one getting comboed anyway, potentially saving your character's life is good enough without getting a combo of your own on top of that.

doing a full team aerial has drawbacks though. it could potentially mess up your assists, for example if you have tron anchor and you do a full team aerial you would have her out and then you would have to find a way to tag her back in to abuse the gustaff flame. although players tend not to punish hard tags as much as they should, myself included. but that's probably one of the things that will change in a few months' time...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Papercuts said:
Is there even a way to take advantage of getting an aeriel counter off?
Yell into mic, or their ear. "OMG YOU FUCKING NOOB YOU JUST WASTED A COMBO LOL"

And while they are stunned from the annoyance you combo them

You rarely see Air Exchange in tournies. I do them online but not so much offline.

Speaking of which I saw someone who was ripping me up with Taskmaster online on a Iplaywinner stream recently (Hanzo Gonzo). Any advice against a Task who jump arrow M's over and over as a Chris player?

Kimosabae

Banned
Cels said:
you'll always see team aerials online because they're much safer due to the lag, you have a 15-frame window to input the counter, and those 15 frames could easily pass you by because of latency, not because you react slowly.

in tournaments on the other hand there is a real risk of the player being comboed getting a reset with the team aerial counter. i think being able to end the combo is enough of a reward. after all you were the one getting comboed anyway, potentially saving your character's life is good enough without getting a combo of your own on top of that.

doing a full team aerial has drawbacks though. it could potentially mess up your assists, for example if you have tron anchor and you do a full team aerial you would have her out and then you would have to find a way to tag her back in to abuse the gustaff flame. although players tend not to punish hard tags as much as they should, myself included. but that's probably one of the things that will change in a few months' time...

Yeah, I've definitely thought about this. When I'm finally comfy with playing all my characters on point, and settle on a team arrangement, I'll be taking Exchange Combos more seriously and will be keeping this in mind. I've got a very versatile team (I think) in Iron Man, Dante, Wolverine, so I don't think I'll have too much trouble working that into bluprint.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Kimosabae said:
Yeah, I've definitely thought about this. When I'm finally comfy with playing all my characters on point, and settle on a team arrangement, I'll be taking Exchange Combos more seriously and will be keeping this in mind. I've got a very versatile team (I think) in Iron Man, Dante, Wolverine, so I don't think I'll have too much trouble working that into bluprint.
swap out wolvie or dante imo

SmokeMaxX

AzureJericho said:
I'm going to be so mad if Phoenix gets hit with the "dumb nerf" stick because of the whining the community is doing against her. Fixing her character properties so Phoenix herself can shine and DP mode is just a cool perk? I'm cool with that.
Haha I wouldn't mind if they buffed Phoenix, if they'd remove the dumb stuff about her. I don't care if a character is strong as long as they're either fun to fight or fun to fight against. I don't think Sentinel needed to be nerfed. I don't necessarily think Phoenix needs to be "nerfed" just changed in a way that means I don't have to run away from her for 50 seconds. Level 3 x factor O. Sentinel is much less scary than lvl 1 x factor Dark Phoenix. At least with Sentinel I had things I could do to guarantee I have a chance to attack. I honestly can't find that many strategies to attack Dark Phoenix with any type of character. It shouldn't be easy to hit her, but you shouldn't have to rely on random hits just to do it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
There's little doubt in my mind that Phoenix is the best character in the game right now (barring exploits that may be discovered down the line), and she's absolutely infuriating to fight against with a number of characters, but I'm honestly really happy with her implementation and don't think she should be changed. I really like all of the extra strategic factors that come into play on both sides when she's present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom