• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the Marn Special?
The pre-release combo that we saw far too often and was copied everywhere afterward:
s.L, s.M, s.H, s.S, sj.M, sj.M, sj.H, qcf.L, s.H, s.S, sj.M, sj.M, sj.H, qcf.H, qcb.L (I think) -> H, qcf.AA

Does nice damage, very little skill needed to accomplish it.

And I don't know what's up with Hsien-Ko either. She's an anti-zoner zoning character with crap damage and an amazing assist if you set it up right. But she has low health as well...
The problem with her being an anti-zoner is Capcom had the bright idea to give her item toss the worst projectile durability in the game (tied with Dormammu's Dark Matter), and her gong doesn't do anything to projectiles. So...what does she do against beams?!

Yeah that shit was found out about Dante like... 3 months before the game came out at some event. I don't know how it can be called the Marn special though.
He discovered it and made it popular, and after a while a lot of people got tired of seeing Dante in Fight Club videos and such because everyone else emulated it.

That's the one I do, it's the only thing I know I can do fairly reliably online. Actually, from me it's even worse because I'm constantly starting it with Teleport->S->DF-H OTG (Wild Stomp?)->S (Prop Shredder). Actually, most of the time I don't even go for the relaunch after Killer Bee because I'm unable to reliably pull off the Sky Dance.
The df.H OTG is Cold Shower. Try canceling it into f.H, and then Bold cancel into Air Trick for a much more powerful follow-up (unless you can do Acid Rain loops off of Prop Shredder).

hitsugi

Mag cant DHC into the wesker glitch from a tempest that actually starts to hit... and you can't dhc wesker in that quickly if you use his assist to OTG into hypergrav unless you do some brief combo in between (maybe hypergrav loop but yipes doesn't do that.)

That's why yipes either does tempest after the fly loop or will do rom into s.H, hypergrav xx tempest xx counter. This sends them flying into the air providing you do it before tempest hits them.

JeTmAn81 said:
IMO, the Haggar Lariat assist is not as godlike as it might first seem. It's great for punishing noobs who rush in recklessly, but smart players will go around it and even bait him out to punish. Coupled with Haggar's relative ineffectiveness on point, including him on my Dante-Hulk team was an early-days strategy that I've since abandoned in favor of the much more useful Taskmaster.

I pretty much only use the assist as AA. However I think Haggar can be pretty potent on point with the right assists, the pipe's beat against teleporters, assists and cornered opponents and with She-Hulks assist he can get 100% from grab resets.

Spirit of Jazz said:
I pretty much only use the assist as AA. However I think Haggar can be pretty potent on point with the right assists, the pipe's beat against teleporters, assists and cornered opponents and with She-Hulks assist he can get 100% from grab resets.

I use it the same. Just when people are over my head, and to eat up Hulks/Sents that mash the armor moves.

I just be very careful with it, so he doesn't die.

I use Sent/Doom/Haggar, so when Haggar gets snapped in, I do ok cause I have drones and hidden missiles to back him and get people to the corner.

When I play teams with Dorm as the anchor, I always try to snap him in, Haggar vs Dorm at the end makes me want to tear my hair out.

God's Beard said:
unfortunately for haggar, jill has an invincible anti-air special.

Other characters have counters, Wolvie's dive kick priority results in 50% life loss with a messy pipe swing. There are lots of ways around the pipe you need to be wary of, you can't throw it out willy-nilly but it's still a great tool.

QisTopTier said:
Haggars should really stop spamming pipes, he has other tricks, and honestly it's not that great -.-

The pipe and lariet along with the respect they demand are his best tools by far, his other specials are lacking in comparison to similar moves other characters have and his ground normals are pretty terrible.

Dahbomb

Haggar with Sent Drones is no joke. Sent with Haggar assist is also some scary shit because now Sent isn't free to rushdown.

The fastest MVC3 game ever was when that dude running Sent+Haggar against Clockw0rk's team caught both Ammy and Doom in the Lariat into Sentinel BnB HSF XFC Plasma Field. Both of them die and Phoenix just dies to like a Frying Pan or something. I think someone made a GIF of that shit because it was THAT short.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Spirit of Jazz said:
The pipe and lariet along with the respect they demand are his best tools by far, his other specials are lacking in comparison to similar moves other characters have and his ground normals are pretty terrible.

-.- if you say so.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dahbomb said:
Haggar with Sent Drones is no joke. Sent with Haggar assist is also some scary shit because now Sent isn't free to rushdown.

This is 100% true.

Spirit of Jazz said:
Maybe I just suck then, Haggar/She-Hulk/Sent is the team I've spent the most time on but now I'm mostly working with Spencer/Wesker/Akuma.

It's not you sucking, if people are getting layed out by it then it's working. You are doing fine. THE OTHERS are the ones that are sucking :D

Dahbomb

Spirit of Jazz said:
Maybe I just suck then, Haggar/She-Hulk/Sent is the team I've spent the most time on but now I'm mostly working with Spencer/Wesker/Akuma.
Haggar + Sent means you are doing it right. She Hulk with Sent Drones AND Haggar Lariat? Yeah that is legit as fuck.

At the very least, you have a lot of health and a lot of heavy hitters in that team and one character on the team who can attack from full screen (Sentinel with the zoning). As long as you don't get stuck with She Hulk or Haggar as your last character against a character like Dormammu/Taskmaster who can run away and spam projectiles, you should be good.

Haggar is totally free to projectile spam if he is assist-less.

Ashkeloth

Welp... Just beat the last of the missions on a Dualshock 3. Jill 10 was definitely the hardest for me.

It's sort of nice to think that I'm now proficient at playing all of the characters in the game at a moderate level, but otherwise it was sort of a waste of time, and I really wish Capcom had put in some examples, since the timing on one or two of those combos was certainly strange.

It certainly hasn't taught me much for my main guys though, and I still can't get anywhere above 4 win streaks for the event.

The only real single player content I have left in this game now is beating the game on v.hard with all characters for their titles, using most of the characters 30 times, and getting a couple of the trophies for fighting certain characters online with other characters (which I rarely use).

Not that this is a game that was made for single player, but it's nice to do when there's not that many people online.

shaowebb

Ugh...man it hurts learning Thor. I got a few basics down but some of his stuff feels like rocket science( I actually had to study rocket science in engineering.)

I keep whiffing mighty hurricane out of mighty smash and missing shoryuken motions everywhere in the middle of my combos with him. The latter isn't such a bad thing but you NEED that mighty hurricane.

The unblockable of torpedo +randy savage is great and easy to hit but She-hulk is way to punishable during it. I found that by putting her on somersault kick I get better results than with the unblockable. Sure it's not an unblockable anymore but it's FAST and hard to punish She-hulk. If they do they eat Randy Savage from a God.

Using She-Hulk's Somersault kick to protect ultra deep jump ins is proving reaaaaaally useful. Especially to guard Haggar approaches. He can cross up with that leg drop into combos nicely. It confuses people pretty hard when his feet are behind them, his ass is in front of them and She-Hulk is shooting a red flash kick that goes all the way around him on approach.

Back to Thor. I really suffer with him right now, but Im finding his reverse shoryuken (Mighty charge?) to be great for destroying projectile spam. He dashes right through it and in the air it pushes him right back in to extend the combo. His best trick is to extend out of initiating flight after an air combo that pops them up slightly and then dashing back in to reset the air combo again as they fall back into flying Thor.

In a nutshell his damage output is so high because he punishes red meter on his moves pretty harshly, but it's in landing sequences of supers in the combo that I'm dying. Tatsu/shoryuken motions everywhere and lots of directional mashing during combos feels rough right now.

Oh well.

Finally I found a fun keep away team Deadpool/Ammy/Magneto. Ammy is on coldstar and the other two are on happy trigger and disruptor. The fun thing is once they approach any of them after finally getting past keep away they are all SUPER fast with a ton of rushdown and thats how I mainly play them outside of this team. I just bait them into jump ins and teleports all day and then punish them with pineapple surprise, ROM, and Ammy's air paper into good ol HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

So I'm deciding on Dante over Zero it looks like. Doesn't seem like you can combo off an OTG with him, which is pretty central to my game plan. The best I can get DHCing from Raven Strike is a well-timed arrow kick assist into a basic launcher combo, but it doesn't seem like I can get a ton of damage off of that, even with the clones. If someone knows a good Zero clone combo that can start off a wall bounce, let me know. Otherwise, it seems like Dante is all around more reliable.

shaowebb said:
Back to Thor. I really suffer with him right now, but Im finding his reverse shoryuken (Mighty charge?) to be great for destroying projectile spam. He dashes right through it and in the air it pushes him right back in to extend the combo. His best trick is to extend out of initiating flight after an air combo that pops them up slightly and then dashing back in to reset the air combo again as they fall back into flying Thor.

In a nutshell his damage output is so high because he punishes red meter on his moves pretty harshly, but it's in landing sequences of supers in the combo that I'm dying. Tatsu/shoryuken motions everywhere and lots of directional mashing during combos feels rough right now.
The only time Thor should be using hyper meter is when you're absolutely going to kill, or uncharged mighty strike through a projectile. Otherwise it's always better to go for the reset. The only thing I find hard about his combos are trying to consistently get a fierce after air mighty strike M because the timing is a little weird depending on how it's landed.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
godsbeard,

I saw ur message earlier in this thread. hit me up when you move up here and ill tell you when and where stuff is going down

I still haven't seen anyone that knows how to play Wesker. Andre's really close with the tick throws and all, but everyone uses the fucking gun to get in. It's like saying HEY GUYS I'M COMING GET READY OK?

haunts said:
godsbeard,

I saw ur message earlier in this thread. hit me up when you move up here and ill tell you when and where stuff is going down
Thanks man, it'll be good to have some connections. I'm definitely working on my game.

smurfx

get some go again
just had a pretty good session. i think i'm close to 40 games above .500. working on 6th lord. still want to play you godsbeard. my zero/taskmaster/haggar team is proving to be quite useful. i use handeki as zeros assist and then i use sougenmu at the beginning of the match and i tag out to taskmaster. then i proceed to zone the hell out of the players. i spam zeros powered up handeki while i shoot arrows from all angles. if they try to rush i use haggars lariats and if i have a special i use task masters arrows or zeros rekkoha.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God's Beard said:
I still haven't seen anyone that knows how to play Wesker. Andre's really close with the tick throws and all, but everyone uses the fucking gun to get in. It's like saying HEY GUYS I'M COMING GET READY OK?

They are to lazy to do the manual input for teleports :p

Ferrio

Banned
QisTopTier said:
They are to lazy to do the manual input for teleports :p

As well putting them in blockstun. I'd think blind fullscreen teleport would be less safe than preceding with the gun.

Ferrio said:
As well putting them in blockstun. I'd think blind fullscreen teleport would be less safe than preceding with the gun.

Sure, you get +3 advantage using the gun, but they're going to be prepared for it. I don't think it should be used every time. Just because something is safe doesn't mean you're going to hit people. Get them conditioned to the gun, then throw out a blank teleport to surprise them. Because it's harder to read, 30 frames from dashing is going to seem like nothing, and they'll have a harder time thinking about the mixup. Wesker can really only make you guess low or command grab if you're paying attention, and blank teleport makes that left/right/command grab, so everything helps.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God's Beard said:
Sure, you get +3 advantage using the gun, but they're going to be prepared for it. I don't think it should be used every time. Just because something is safe doesn't mean you're going to hit people. Get them conditioned to the gun, then throw out a blank teleport to surprise them. Because it's harder to read, 30 frames from dashing is going to seem like nothing, and they'll have a harder time thinking about the mixup. Wesker can really only make you guess low or command grab if you're paying attention, and blank teleport makes that left/right/command grab, so everything helps.

This is 100% correct
sadly :p

El Sloth

Banned
Haunts said:
YO check out Arts article on The Next Level, Cen's new arcade in NYC, if you havent already - http://iplaywinner.com/news/2011/4/4/on-the-scene-the-next-level-brief-overview-by-sabin.html
So it isn't an arcade in the traditional sense, huh? Interesting. Especially the free play area, although there can end up being some real huge downsides to that if it isn't handled properly...

$0.25 AE(plus venue fee) is fucking awesome.
Judderman said:
I just wish it would open already. He always posts on Facebook about it being open during the weekend but it's on a "need-to-know-me" basis. I don't want to go and get denied at the door.
Hah, same. I need my AE fix. :(

Anyone know what's the word on CTF? I thought I remember hearing that they managed to workout a deal with their landlord at the last minute? Specifically, what's going to happen to all those old arcade cabs?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
God's Beard said:
Thanks man, it'll be good to have some connections. I'm definitely working on my game.

for sure man. just let me know. fair warning though, we talk a ton of shit up here. :)

rivals

God's Beard said:
You can play AE for free with a day pass in Milpitas. I don't know if that's every day, though. I think it was like 12 dollars?

I heard about this. I live less than 2 miles away from MGL. I really need to check that out, I've been there once since I moved back in December and that was at some point in January.

rivals

I think the full day passes are Thursday only, but I know they have a couple other mornings/nights with passes for a few hours. I don't know anything about the AE stuff though. I saw it mentioned briefly on SRK but no one went into detail on it.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
rivals said:
I heard about this. I live less than 2 miles away from MGL. I really need to check that out, I've been there once since I moved back in December and that was at some point in January.

I don't get how anybody can live 2 miles away from an arcade like that and never go. Shittiest part about living where I do is arcades are non-existent and there's no scene.

rivals

I just picked up fg's again literally about 3 weeks ago after a pretty long break (and I was only playing casually before that). I've been practicing when I can but I've been really busy lately so it hasn't been much. I'm still just working on execution and bnbs in both mvc and Super, and I've been playing with some friends once or twice a week. That said next week we're planning on going out there and making it weekly at least so I'm really looking forward to that, and hopefully shortly after I'll start entering some tournaments (and likely getting destroyed) for some experience. I'm definitely lucky to live where I do and have an active scene in the area, and I am going to fully take advantage of that since I don't really plan on playing online at all.

EDIT: Reworded some of it.

I think i've kind of hit a wall with this game. Granted I'm not really high level or anything, but I need some inspiration for a new team or maybe just tweak my current team.

ryu or deadpool/hulk/spencer.

I've switched around spencer to both point and anchor...but I feel like these 4 characters collectively don't have the best synergy. I really like playing spencer and hulk...could care less about taking out ryu and deadpool. any suggestions to revamp my team would be greatly appreciated. thx.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
going to be writing an article this week on my team and/or how to properly use assists etc etc... any requests?

ReiGun

Man Dante requires quite a bit of execution. Or at least, more than I have normally. But fuck it, I'll tough it out because I needs that Jam Session assist in my life. I need it to liveeeeee.

LakeEarth

QisTopTier said:
Eh, they are both pretty much the same thing, haggar's last longer at the cost of hp.
I'm curious about the specific differences between the two moves. Visually Gustaf hits lower, but does it really?

Ferrio

Banned
Bah doing Dante's j.H after his volcano is not going to happen with lag and me. Do it fine when i got bars set to full... with lag it's like a 1 in 10 try.

Zissou

haunts said:
going to be writing an article this week on my team and/or how to properly use assists etc etc... any requests?

I vote for emphasis on assists. Coming from Super, it was slow-going working assists into my game plan, and I imagine a lot of people are having similar issues. Also, when's Magus1234's Deadpool spotlight article coming? I'm really looking forward to that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
haunts said:
It'd be cool for a bit on what makes team synergy work., or what kind of assists you should use to cover areas characters have troubles in
Iron Man stuff plz

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
haunts said:

As a relatively new player assists are still tripping me up. Right now in my Task/Wesker/Dante team, I'm starting to incorporate them but I only really use them if certain conditions are met. Despite it being one of the better assists I don't really know what to do with Jam Session besides trapping jump ins and chaining that to Parabolic Arrows specials. I've tried crossing people up with Jam Session but that has mostly just left Dante exposed to lots of punishment, could be timing based, could be that you shouldn't use that assist to cross up. Considering switching to Weasel Shot as that seems more cross-up friendly. Wesker's low shot is another one which is obviously awesome, but I hardly ever use. If I really focus I can extend Taskmaster's combos a bit with it, but I still don't know how to create those unblockables when paired with Mighty Swing. Also haven't found any synergy for that assist and Dante though there probably is some stuff to work with.

Basically my main problem is still the timing of the assists. Maybe I should play more bots in training mode because messing up an assist timing in an actual match can be so damn punishing which is why I often don't bother.

smurfx

get some go again
finally became a 6th lord. i'm over 50 wins over .500 now too. got destroyed by phoenix a bunch of times though. getting used to fighting wesker and dante but phoenix still kicks my ass all the time. one match phoenix was the last one standing and she was at level 4. well i got a good combo in on her and thought i was in the clear but nope that combo drove her ass over level 5 and then i got my ass beat.

Rorschach

smurfx said:
finally became a 6th lord. i'm over 50 wins over .500 now too. got destroyed by phoenix a bunch of times though. getting used to fighting wesker and dante but phoenix still kicks my ass all the time. one match phoenix was the last one standing and she was at level 4. well i got a good combo in on her and thought i was in the clear but nope that combo drove her ass over level 5 and then i got my ass beat.
When you get to 4th lord, everyone just disconnects, standbys during your combos, or quits. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom