• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
Rorschach said:
When you get to 4th lord, everyone just disconnects, standbys during your combos, or quits. Have fun!
i fought this one guy who was 56-0. was about to kill his ass and then the douchebag disconnects. i wanted to destroy his perfect record. :(

I don't get how people can break the get 6th, 5th and 4th lord status. It feels like one loss sets you back tremendously and the hill just gets steeper and steeper.

I can handle myself in a fight with some of them, but I just don't get how they sit there and get that kind of rank.

Ferrio

Banned
About to get my 4th lord status soon, sitting at a 89.60% ratio... grr damn that .4

edit: Wanna play some games solar?

smurfx

get some go again
Ferrio said:
About to get my 4th lord status soon, sitting at a 89.60% ratio... grr damn that .4

edit: Wanna play some games solar?
damn i would love to play you but it looks like you are on psn.

Ok, so I'm becoming more familiar with Dante and I think I've come up with a good starter after a launcher. So normally people do S, jMM(double jump)MH xx Killer Bee, H... which does 290,400 damage.

What I'm using right now is S, jM(double jump)H xx Air Play, jH xx Killer Bee, H... which brings it up to 323,400 damage and should do significantly less hitstun deterioration. 10% damage bonus and a longer combo isn't too bad of a tradeoff for the slightly higher execution requirements, I don't think.

Again, I don't use the character forums or anything, so forgive me if this is way behind what other people are using.

edit: ehh, there's a damage boost, but there doesn't seem to be as significant effect on hitstun as I imagined. In fact, it might be slightly less hitstun. Oh well, I'll keep testing. There has to be a way to stretch out his deterioration.

Kimosabae said:
Yeah, people have been using that starter for awhile now. You typically see it after Stinger Bold Cancel -> Volcano.

That makes sense, need quick altitude gain. So I guess I can Raven Spike DHC Devil Trigger, low shot xx Stinger, volcano, jump cancel, jM, double jump, jH xx Air Play, jH xx Killer Bee, H, S, jH xx Fire Wheels?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
SolarPowered said:
I don't get how people can break the get 6th, 5th and 4th lord status. It feels like one loss sets you back tremendously and the hill just gets steeper and steeper.

I can handle myself in a fight with some of them, but I just don't get how they sit there and get that kind of rank.

6th lord here. 48% win rate.

Though most of those loses came before the game started to click.

smurfx

get some go again
Lost Fragment said:
6th lord here. 48% win rate.

Though most of those loses came before the game started to click.
same here. although i seem to get lots of losses after not playing for days and losing my rhythm.

Kimosabae

Banned
God's Beard said:
That makes sense, need quick altitude gain. So I guess I can Raven Spike DHC Devil Trigger, low shot xx Stinger, volcano, jump cancel, jM, double jump, jH xx Air Play, jH xx Killer Bee, H, S, jH xx Fire Wheels?

What's 'Raven Spike' and 'Low Shot'?

Ferrio

Banned
Faced a guy 1700 wins 120 losses... but a 6th lord... thought that was strange. Fought him, was in the middle of beating down his first char.... disconnect. Ohhh that's why.

Good games solar, that morrigan and ammy is a bitch.

Man, competition on the PS3 is fierce as a motherfucker. I'm still having trouble dealing with Shulkie and Tron using the PS3 pad. I still felt like I've gotten closer to my reaction time on the 360, but Lei Lei is really bogged down even now. Those were some fun games Ferrio. I'm always caught off guard when I'm dealing with Tron and her assist.

So many dropped combos...

:'(

Edit: Using a keyboard really makes Mahvel chat better. It's a shame I'm never around when it is full and active.

Dahbomb

Kimosabae said:
Jill and Wesker assists.
going to be writing an article this week on my team and/or how to properly use assists etc etc... any requests?
I would like someone to actually talk about character styles/roles in this game. Too many people approach a character as if they want to play him on Point when in reality that character might be suited for an Assist/Anchor role. This is especially true for the "heavy hitter" type characters like Haggar, Tron and even Sentinel.

I think most people are still confused when it comes to picking teams. Like I still see people just picking Magneto/Wolverine/X-23 when this team sucks because it's basically 3 point characters thrown in the team and then they wonder why they lost because they had 3 really fast characters who can rushdown.

An emphasis on picking one Point type character, one Utility type character and one Assist/Anchor type character for a team. It would probably be a good idea to explain what each of those slots do and give examples. Something like Justin's 2 teams are great examples: Wolverine is a pure point character backed up by assist and doing the damage, Storm is there to use up the meter, zone a bit and play differently (covering up weaknesses and match up problems of Wolverine). Akuma of course the main Assist/Anchor character. Or She Hulk on point causing the damage, Amaterasu using the meter and changing up the game and Tron on Assist/Anchor with that Gustaff.

And of course the usual DHC, TAC and THC talk if applicable. I think it's also important to talk about why certain characters are Anchors because I don't know if people are aware of X factor boosts on specific characters.

Also talk about different types of assist (anti-air, GTFO, combo extenders, mix up assists etc.) and what a person should be looking for in assists. I think it's super important to talk about team synergy over just picking good characters and good assists. I think the biggest challenge in MVC3, even for me who was a long time MVC2 player, is coming up with a team. I change teams more often than I change my socks.

Last thing to discuss is how to protect your assists because I am seeing more and more teams/players concentrate on punishing assists which can be really brutal.

God's Beard if you are looking for high damage off of Dante combos, start incorporating Air Raid into your combos. It's those thunderbolts that Dante does during Devil Trigger, you can link at least 3 of those in a combo for damage that puts some hyper combos to shame.

Some real good X-23 technology up in this bitch

^^ Soon to be a high/top character once people start maining her more often.

X-23 is a reset monster. Like she will be doing one of her loops and during that loop she will call an assist and feint to the other side to start another loop but it's a reset.

Morris

Disco Devil
SolarPowered said:

This.

I'm about to get into 3rd lord myself but it always feels like a chore to fill up that bar, you get into 10 win streaks and you fill it so slowly, but lose one match and you lose what little bar you got in 3-5 matches.

Also, I don't think your opponent's rank matters for more exp, I once beat a Cosmic Lord and I didn't get shit :c, the game should reward you more for beating high ranked players...

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
After 16 hours of shooting, $600 worth of rental equipment and costumes, a blown out 300Watt spotlight, fried wall circuit in my bathroom, and a completely roasted motherboard from the light blowing up...my latest episode of 'Marvel vs Capcom 3: The Online Warrior' is done.

I don't think the term 'art through adversity' could be used any harder. I'm putting my all into this one guys. Hopefully will be ready by the end of the week.

Dahbomb

Tomorrow starts Capcom's Captivate Event. I think it's embargoed but that doesn't discount the possibility of leaks and stuff.

I wonder what MVC3 related info is going to be on there.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dahbomb said:
Tomorrow starts Capcom's Captivate Event. I think it's embargoed but that doesn't discount the possibility of leaks and stuff.

My body is ready

So GAF, I finaly bought this game the other day, after months of waiting and scraping the money together (poor college student). I'm a massive Marvel fan and I really enjoy fighting games, but I never took them too seriously until lately. It started with SF4, I got into the fighting game commuity a bit, entered and played in a few tournaments on forums and stuff. Havent played too many fighting games since but in the run up to buying this I started reading this thread and I got hooked, all the talk of combos and assists and what not. Started watching the streams too, which are really entertaining.

So I've only played for about an hour, just blitzed through arcade mode a few times on easy and normal, didn't have too much trouble. Just trying out characters. Team I liked best was Ammy/Dormammu/Dante. Although Dorm was a little too slow for my tastes. I'm not too up on this team synergy business so any recommendations would be welcome. I was thinking Wesker instead maybe?

Dahbomb

Depends on the character you want to base your team around and play style. If you just got the game then it's better to just try out various characters in Mission mode/Training mode to get a good feel of the characters and then pick one character as your "main".

Then build a team around the main. It's good to have 2 mains though with 2 different play styles in one team with one really good assist at 3rd spot.

Dormammu has teleports and he has tri-jump so he isn't that slow if you can maneuver him well enough. You can have some nice set ups using Dorm's Flame Carpet as OTG with Ammy's Cold Star assist. Dorm also benefits from Dante's Jam Session.

Speaking of Captivate, I am 90% curious about DmC and 10% curious about new MVC3 stuff. That's the games that I am expecting, have no clue about any potential megaton they have in store. Of course there's that new RE game too but I don't think it's going to be my cup of tea.

On a side note: I am thinking of making some sort of Flow Chart for team picks or "character synergy" chart. But the problem with the game is that there are too many combinations and so much depth left to be explored that you can't make something like that yet. New stuff is getting discovered every day in the lab and stuff is discovered on the fly in matches as well.

Dahbomb said:

Maybe they'll announce Super MvC3.

Dahbomb

Announce the expansion of a game within 2 months of release of said game? Is that common nowadays?

How long was it after release of vanilla SSF4 that Capcom announced SSF4?

Whenever they announce it though... SMVC3 (or whatever it's called) is going to be the most unsurprising announcement in the history of fighting games. People were expecting SMVC3 before MVC3 even came out, I actually know people who didn't buy MVC3 on purpose because they know that an expansion will come out just like SSF4.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Dahbomb said:
Announce the expansion of a game within 2 months of release of said game? Is that common nowadays?

How long was it after release of vanilla SSF4 that Capcom announced SSF4?

Whenever they announce it though... SMVC3 (or whatever it's called) is going to be the most unsurprising announcement in the history of fighting games. People were expecting SMVC3 before MVC3 even came out, I actually know people who didn't buy MVC3 on purpose because they know that an expansion will come out just like SSF4.

9 months if you mean the console version.

But yeah they won't be announcing anything like that 2 months in. New DLC characters at the most. Their fighting game announcements will probably focus around SSF4AE and maybe 3S online.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm assuming mvc will get an arcade release? Maybe not but it seems like it could be possible.

i fought this one guy who was 56-0. was about to kill his ass and then the douchebag disconnects. i wanted to destroy his perfect record. :(
He had a perfect record because he disconnects.

Ok, so I'm becoming more familiar with Dante and I think I've come up with a good starter after a launcher. So normally people do S, jMM(double jump)MH xx Killer Bee, H... which does 290,400 damage.

What I'm using right now is S, jM(double jump)H xx Air Play, jH xx Killer Bee, H... which brings it up to 323,400 damage and should do significantly less hitstun deterioration. 10% damage bonus and a longer combo isn't too bad of a tradeoff for the slightly higher execution requirements, I don't think.

Again, I don't use the character forums or anything, so forgive me if this is way behind what other people are using.

edit: ehh, there's a damage boost, but there doesn't seem to be as significant effect on hitstun as I imagined. In fact, it might be slightly less hitstun. Oh well, I'll keep testing. There has to be a way to stretch out his deterioration.
I think his best aerial combination is s.S, sj.M, Air Play, sj.M, Double Jump, sj.M, sj.H, or something like that. Personally, I think his strongest combos don't involve him launching at all, though (unless it's with Prop Shredder).

Faced a guy 1700 wins 120 losses... but a 6th lord... thought that was strange. Fought him, was in the middle of beating down his first char.... disconnect. Ohhh that's why.

Yeah, where is that ragequitter hell? Sigh. Last week I had my first ever match where I got to juggle an assist infinitely with Purification - this is out of 1622 Dormammu matches, and I finally got to do this. The dick disconnected, and I felt so empty...

Why is there an embargo anyway? Unless they announce that there will be a patch to make the netcode not shit, I'm not particularly enthused. I decided to pick up BB:CS yesterday for $13 at Gamestop.

Dormammu has teleports and he has tri-jump so he isn't that slow if you can maneuver him well enough. You can have some nice set ups using Dorm's Flame Carpet as OTG with Ammy's Cold Star assist. Dorm also benefits from Dante's Jam Session.
Between the two, I would definitely use Jam Session to relaunch instead of Cold Stars. Cold Stars is really finicky.

Dahbomb

MThanded said:
I'm assuming mvc will get an arcade release? Maybe not but it seems like it could be possible.
MVC3 -> DLC characters + other DLC content -> SMVC3 -> SMVC3:AE

You know I am right.

Korigama

Kimosabae said:
Dahbomb said:
Jill and Wesker assists.

Actually, Raven Spike is Jill's melee hyper. Based on the Devil Trigger DHC glitch being triggered afterward, I think he was referring to Dante's df. H OTG (since a cancel to Stinger came right afterward).

Even though it wouldn't be especially surprising, I still question the likelihood of there being a "Super MvC3", considering the fact that it wouldn't be Capcom's decision alone (unlike with SFIV). Isn't TvC currently the only crossover of its sort that they bothered with having an updated re-release for?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Ferrio said:

I've had two people disconnect on me right before the last hit connected...on unranked yesterday. Really don't see the point of that, we both know you lost. One guy did this after losing 7 matches in a row. So I messaged him "goodbye mister" and got an angry "SAME MOVE OVER AGAIN" message back. Still don't know what pissed him off exactly. I'm guessing Task arrows + the bnb I usually do as a punish.

Dahbomb

MThanded said:
LOL @ the trash talking during the game.

Also LOL @ them claiming the other guy is tier whoring when both those teams combined (minus Ammy/Phoenix) that's like the 6 best characters in the game: Magneto, Dante, Wesker, Akuma, Zero and Trish. What's funny is that there is only 1 Marvel character in that match.

Good games though.

I can't justify not buying the DLC characters, the game is really fun and Capcom gave me my copy for free :D

Halfway through the second match and already Marn's teaching me how to use Zero in ways I specifically dropped him because I thought he couldn't do.

God's Beard said:
I can't justify not buying the DLC characters, the game is really fun and Capcom gave me my copy for free :D
I thought you bought your copy and Capcom gave you another for the opposite system for free.

Dahbomb

God's Beard said:

Halfway through the second match and already Marn's teaching me how to use Zero in ways I specifically dropped him because I thought he couldn't do.
Marn's Zero is probably the best there is. Most important thing with Zero is to always be holding down L for the Buster shot. Leads to crazy damage or combo opportunity. I learned a lot from Marn and incorporated it in my Zero game.

There is some good Trish play in there too. Not good Dante play at all though, I don't even know why Dante was on his team if he was just using that Weasel Shot to set up the Wesker combo. Dante had like no other use in the team for him and got continuously stuffed or he kept dropping combos with him.

Trijump L on Thor is pretty good, so is the hammer.

Morris

Disco Devil
jdub03 said:
I wonder what button config marn uses to keep his charge shot charged. Or does he just not use light punch.
Also God's Beard I read in the guide that Thor's trijump L
is really good. Do you use that or do you recommend using his adf air H.

No, seriously, does anyone know what the hell does Marn use for buster charging while simultaneously doing the qcb+L dash?

Marn did that in like the middle of the video and I was like, WAT.

I always keep L pressed while using Zero, am I doing it wrong? D:

I like box dash hammer xx mighty strike M myself, gives you time to think.

Dammit, why is Zero vs Dante coming back to haunt meeeeeeeeeee

Can you only do that clone OTG loop in the corner? The combo he does after the DHC trick.

Morro! said:
No, seriously, does anyone know what the hell does Marn use for buster charging while simultaneously doing the qcb+L dash?

Marn did that in like the middle of the video and I was like, WAT.

From watching him play, I'm almost certain he uses M to store the buster most of the time. He uses jump H and a lot of L and H specials, and he can start combos on the ground with L if he wants. Of course, he probably just changes it all the time.

rivals

He said on stream once that "All Zero players should constantly be holding M to charge the buster and learn how to move their hands around while holding M" so I'm guessing he's using M for it.

JeTmAn81

Ugh, I think I need to buy a new wireless router. I keep getting disconnected from games, and sometimes it happens at the absolute worst moment. Yesterday, I got into a game with a guy and he caught two of my characters with a lucky hit and killed them off within about 10 seconds. Right as that happens, the game pauses....chugs...then disconnects. *Facepalm* How is that not going to look like a ragequit on my part? At least it was in unranked play.

Morris

Disco Devil
Goddamn, I feel stupid for never thinking of that. That's godlike, gonna start incorporating it in my game now. I'm glad I started pianoing with the sixaxis now, it doesn't feel as awkward anymore and makes playing Zero easier...

God's Beard said:
From watching him play, I'm almost certain he uses M to store the buster most of the time. He uses jump H and a lot of L and H specials, and he can start combos on the ground with L if he wants. Of course, he probably just changes it all the time.

It's called the D-loop and it's actually pretty easy to do, corner-only, just do shadow hyper into S, j. B, qcf+c x3 (you can extend the reps if you only do qcf+c without B)

Mike M

Nick N
I just got around to picking this up this week, and I suck SO bad, I almost have buyer's remorse. I haven't even gone online, the fucking CPU can beat the snot out of me on the default difficulty (By comparison I can beat SSF4 on the highest difficulty without much trouble with my main.).

It's just too much happening too fast for me to keep up with : (

Huh. I was right.
Morro! said:
It's called the D-loop and it's actually pretty easy to do, corner-only, just do shadow hyper into S, j. B, qcf+c x3 (you can extend the reps if you only do qcf+c without B)

Are there combos I can start off the DHC trick that aren't corner-only? Basically anything with the clones that starts from a launcher.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I can do Mag's easy bnb with no problem. My hands and my brain just don't want to do the one Yipe's does, nor the other one. Yipe's is easier for me, but after the j.h, adf, j.h, fly, j.l, j.m, j.h, adf, j.h I drop the combo. I've managed to do the full thing like once on this damn controller. I haven't even tried to attempt the hyper grav loop. :/ Ugh.

I had no idea Hulk's s.H hit so far away...

jdub03

Dahbomb said:
Trijump L on Thor is pretty good, so is the hammer.

I'll have to figure out in what situation each one would be best to use.

God's Beard said:
I like box dash hammer xx mighty strike M myself, gives you time to think.

Dammit, why is Zero vs Dante coming back to haunt meeeeeeeeeee

Can you only do that clone OTG loop in the corner? The combo he does after the DHC trick.

I'm thinking trijump L is good when you have them locked down in the corner. I've hit the hammer more times then the other. Also have you tried doing cr. L xx s. H xx(cancel H animation before it hits) mighty hurricane. It works wonders.

We need some anti zero strategies. I can't find anything that beats his air H. A good zero is probably my worst matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom