• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
TheFightingFish said:
Level 2-3 X-Factor Felicia == big character killer

I ran into a really good Felicia last night who just shredded my Hulk horribly. She was just looping with M and Delta Kick, but it was so tight that I couldn't get out of it or seem to clear any space with advanced guard. Totally chipped me out from close to 50% health. And that was without even throwing in the little kitty helper, which I assume would only make things worse for me.
Cat Spike L into Cat Spike L is an infinite in XF2/XF3.

She is pretty terrifying if she can corner you. You pretty much have to stay in the air or at a distance if you don't have something fast enough or invincible to smack her down up close.

Grifter

BotoxAgent said:
as you saw last night, I'm still suffering character identity crisis. But I think I'll try to stick w/wesker iron man and dante. Hopefully, I'll be a bit more of a challenge to you in the coming months.
i dunno who to play either, was just too lazy to mix/match when i had teams preset.

i couldn't stand mvc2 so i'm still grasping the teamwork and need people to grow with.

Kimosabae said:
Some of the people feeling overwhelmed really need to reconsider their approach to the game, I think. If you simply play the game to have fun, without considering too much the multitude of strategical branches the game offers, your love and understanding of the game will grow organically and you'll have the foundation you desire before you know it.

Try to just play with local friends. I think some of you are getting too ahead of yourselves.

So true. I've known people who refuse to go online until they're very comfortable with 1P and completed the mode grinds (I have that barrier more in fighters than say...RTS where I just learn by getting shellacked a hundred times), but that's not where the shines and you'll never get a feel for the pace of the game without just playing people.

Masamuna

Okay, I think ive settled (again) on the teams I wanna play.

Wesker (otg)/Mags (beam)/Dante (jam) - both EM and jam session help wesker with teleport setups and extend combos into mixups. Samurai edge give mag a few unblockable setups and dante gives him a column AA to work with. EM helps dante zone when he needs to and teleport mixups. SE w/ Wesker provides good setups, and IIRC an unblockable setup with bold cancel via blockstring.

Mags (beam)/Dorm (Dat hole)/Dante (jam) -

Most of the bases seem to be covered. Basically I use mag as battery so I can troll with dorm.

Would Mag/Zero/Ammy work competitively as a team? I wanna harrass my sparring partner's Sent/Haggar/Doom something fierce XD

GuardianE said:
What part is the problem? The SRK? Make sure to go neutral before the input and you should be fine.

The problem is the light speed you need to be operating at to go from the cr.H input to neutral, f, d, df.H. If I spazz out for speed, I get a webshot, 98% of the time. If I slow down and control my inputs better, I miss the SRK.

It gets worse because it's Spidey's 08 mission -- so his damn SRK has to be immediately followed by a second H and a third H, all timed right.

The part that *REALLY* pisses me off is that I'd have no problem with it if it was standing LMH or crouching LMH... in fact, I can do the whole 08 combo with either variation. But the stick movement to get a neutral s.M, c.H, SRK.H is just aggravating. X)

Sixfortyfive said:
On that note, fuck Iron Man's c.H.

This too.

I have EVERYONE having cleared 7. Except IM. Who's stuck at 5.

Sixfortyfive

You don't have to go back to neutral. Just make SURE you're going all the way to forward so that you get the first input of the SRK.

This was throwing me off for a while too because SF4's input leniency had spoiled me. In SF4, while crouching, I would just get into the habit of rolling my thumb on the d-pad back and forth from crouch to diagonal (323) to get SRKs from a crouching position. That doesn't work in MvC3; there is still some leniency on what you can do, but you have to input all of the actual component directions of the SRK (forward, down, down-forward) in order to get it.

Grifter said:
So true. I've known people who refuse to go online until they're very comfortable with 1P and completed the mode grinds (I have that barrier more in fighters than say...RTS where I just learn by getting shellacked a hundred times), but that's not where the shines and you'll never get a feel for the pace of the game without just playing people.

LOL, this is so opposite of me. I learn the most basic combo and go "alright, if I don't learn the normals and how to start the combos, this is pointless, so it's time to lose 50 times in a row before I learn combos!", go online and get my ass kicked.

Azure J

Missing all of WNFs with Marvel-GAF last night because I studied for a midterm and went to sleep urley: not cool. Sounds like I missed out on a lot too.

Alucrid

Banned
AzureJericho said:
Missing all of WNFs with Marvel-GAF last night because I studied for a midterm and went to sleep urley: not cool. Sounds like I missed out on a lot too.

We have WNFs? Or are you talking about the stream?

Kurtofan

Riposte said:
Sentinel is not overpowered, he is just "high-powered". Also people need to drop this "cheap" nonsense. I thought we were better than that?
Welcome to the real world,Neo
GAF

y2dvd

corrosivefrost said:
The problem is the light speed you need to be operating at to go from the cr.H input to neutral, f, d, df.H. If I spazz out for speed, I get a webshot, 98% of the time. If I slow down and control my inputs better, I miss the SRK.

It gets worse because it's Spidey's 08 mission -- so his damn SRK has to be immediately followed by a second H and a third H, all timed right.

The part that *REALLY* pisses me off is that I'd have no problem with it if it was standing LMH or crouching LMH... in fact, I can do the whole 08 combo with either variation. But the stick movement to get a neutral s.M, c.H, SRK.H is just aggravating. X)

This too.

I have EVERYONE having cleared 7. Except IM. Who's stuck at 5.

Actually, I think this game lets you cheat an srk input with d/f,d/f like is SFIV. So what you could try for the combo mentioned above is s.M, d/f H (for the c.H), d/f H (for the SRK). It all depends on if this game reads d/f as forward or down when you press H (can't test this out since I'm at work!).

Sixfortyfive

y2dvd said:
Actually, I think this game lets you cheat an srk input with d/f,d/f like is SFIV.
Nope.

You can do F,QCF and it will accept that as a DP. You can do 63236 and it will be a DP. You can insert some other directions in the middle of the command and it will still be a DP if the whole thing is entered fast enough, but you must hit all of the individual component directions (forward, down, down-forward).

Solune

AzureJericho said:

Richard N. was busting out some fancy ass Dante shit, but he got blown up by Husser, his Modok was crazy.

Ferrio

Banned
I don't see how people are arguing Sent as not being overpowered? Definition of overpowered is having tons of strengths but barely any weaknesses. He only has one weakness, his size... that's it... and way more strengths than tons of the cast.

Strengths:
-Best Health in Game.
-2nd best power in the game
-Great Hyper combos
-One of the best Assists
-Great normals with super armor
-Easy of use (I wouldn't really consider this a strength, since it's void at high level play.)

Weakness:
Big
Kinda slow

Ya sure he can be beaten, he isn't a sure thing. But he sure has many many advantages over most the cast in the game. I'm not whining or anything, but I think the people dismissing him being OP are fooling themselves.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Karsticles said:
No, it was the night of or earlier; I remember because some people actually (lol) canceled their pre-order after reading the comment.

I'm referring the Youtube interview with Justin Wong by FrameAdvantage, where he discusses Anti-Sent strats. He had the game for about a week, since the street date was broken.

Ferrio said:
I don't see how people are arguing Sent as not being overpowered? Definition of overpowered is having tons of strengths but barely any weaknesses. He only has one weakness, his size... that's it... and way more strengths than tons of the cast.

Strengths:
-Best Health in Game.
-Great Hyper combos
-One of the best Assists
-Easy of use (I wouldn't really consider this a strength, since it's void at high level play.)

Weakness:
Big
Kinda slow

Ya sure he can be beaten, he isn't a sure thing. But he sure has many many advantages over most the cast in the game. I'm not whining or anything, but I think the people dismissing him being OP are fooling themselves.

Agreed. On paper, without going into "cheap" combos, infinites, unblockables, that everyone has, he's easily got the best straight up stats in the game. He's really not even that slow when you consider wave dashing and flight.

He's also got great range on normals and chip damage on some normals. I'm not going to lie. I hate the character. I think this would be a better game if he wasn't in it. And it's not like I lose to many Sentinels.

El Sloth

Banned
Karsticles said:
No, it was the night of or earlier; I remember because some people actually (lol) canceled their pre-order after reading the comment.
I'm pretty sure those were all in jest.

Sentinel is overpowered. People saying otherwise just want to make themselves feel better about using him. Of course he can be beat, but that's not the argument.

Be proud! Like all the Vanilla SF4 Sagat users. They knew he was cheap, they wanted the wins baby.

I'm referring the Youtube interview with Justin Wong by FrameAdvantage, where he discusses Anti-Sent strats. He had the game for about a week, since the street date was broken.
I was referring to his Twitter comments. Regardless, the Adon reference still stands. Early judgments, by anyone, mean nothing.

Strengths:
-Best Health in Game.
-Great Hyper combos
-One of the best Assists
I left off the last one, and I think we can agree that it's not really a valid point.

Weakness:
Big
Kinda slow
A few more:
-Heavily choreographed attacks
-No mix-up options outside of his command throw
-His assist, which is inarguably good, also leaves him vulnerable for a long time, and it is thus easy to punish.
-Slow startup on all of his attacks (check the guide)
-Slow recovery on all of his attacks
-Generates meter slowly without successful (read: risky) laser spam
-Has no way to save himself against rushdown once it gets in

Maybe he is overpowered, but it's too early to tell, and he has a lot of weaknesses. Of course, all of these weaknesses only matter against skilled opponents. To the inexperienced, they just see Sentinel's unstoppable foot connecting with their chin over and over until they run out of characters.

Riposte

Ferrio said:

Strengths:
-Best Health in Game.
-Great Hyper combos
-One of the best Assists

Weakness:
Big
Kinda slow

The definition of over-powered means he is too powerful. To rephrase it: He is powerful over an certain "line" - a line, that of course, can't really be described by anyone. Now what does that mean vs just being most powerful? He can be beaten, quite often actually. You know this already.

And in terms of MvC3 he is also only 1/3rd of a "character". Before we even get into it, people have to stop treating this like it is Street Fighter. The amount of information that is being ignored in favor of raw stat comparisons makes this a pointless endeavor. (The truth is Sentinel can NEVER be an honest to god overpowered selection unless everyone started using the same three characters in the same order.)

Another thing, why is anyone trying to GUILT people into not using Sentinel? That is some bitch shit. We going to make it a sin? Maybe you have to go to confessional after beating someone online?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Karsticles said:
You can refer to whatever you want, but the comment you responded to was in reference to his comments via Twitter. It doesn't make much sense to "correct" the date by changing the subject.

What are you talking about? MY argument was about Jwong's comments post launch. It didn't refer to any twitter posts. I didn't cite any source at all. I didn't do any "correcting". You just assumed that I was talking about Twitter for some reason.

Karsticles said:
A few more:
-Heavily choreographed attacks
-No mix-up options outside of his command throw
-His assist, which is inarguably good, also leaves him vulnerable for a long time, and it is thus easy to punish.
-Slow startup on all of his attacks (check the guide)
-Slow recovery on all of his attacks
-Generates meter slowly without successful (read: risky) laser spam
-Has no way to save himself against rushdown once it gets in

Maybe he is overpowered, but it's too early to tell, and he has a lot of weaknesses. Of course, all of these weaknesses only matter against skilled opponents. To the inexperienced, they just see Sentinel's unstoppable foot connecting with their chin over and over until they run out of characters.

His assist isn't any easier to punish than the majority of assists in the game. It's no Gustaff Fire, but few things are. As I'm sure you already know, you need to protect your assists, not leave them out to die, so I'm not really sure that's a true weakness. When used properly, your opponent should very rarely get a chance to hit Sentinel at all as an assist.

Slow startup, sure. Recovery? I suppose. But again, he can make most of his attacks safe with assists, like most characters.

What are you talking about? MY argument was about Jwong's comments post launch. It didn't refer to any twitter posts. I didn't cite any source at all. I didn't do any "correcting" at all. You just inferred that I was talking about Twitter for some reason.
I already edited my post to correct the misconception before you posted this.

Dave Long

Banned
Grifter said:
And yet if you go online to play people and they land one combo on you, you are completely fucked and your game is over in seconds. So how do you learn anything?

Again, the problem is the in the matchmaking and the assholes who sit in Beginner rooms wailing on people because they can. You cannot hope to get better if all you do is sit and watch three characters tag in and combo each of your characters out one by one.

This is what people who already know how to play the game don't understand and never will. 50-hit canned combos are fine when you can pull them off regularly after HOURS of practice. They make the game exclusionary to a huge number of players when you can't, and with broken matchmaking you have no way to play human players without constantly running into some dickbag who just wants to rub his heel in everyone's face.

I've said my bit. People in this thread don't want to hear any negatives. That's fine. Enjoy the game.

Any scrubs who want to train I am playing on XBL right now

GT: General Convo

Just went 30 matches against a guy who obviously knew little or nothing about fighting Dormammu...though his Sentinel made sure that I didn't win too much :/

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Karsticles said:
I already edited my post to correct the misconception before you posted this.

Fair enough. I think he's overpowered right now. You think he's a fair character. Time will tell. I find none of your points compelling, and you find none of mine compelling. Agree to disagree.

My team eats Sentinels for lunch anyway.

Ferrio

Banned
GuardianE said:
His assist isn't any easier to punish than the majority of assists in the game. It's no Gustaff Fire, but few things are. As I'm sure you already know, you need to protect your assists, not leave them out to die, so I'm not really sure that's a true weakness. When used properly, your opponent should very rarely get a chance to hit Sentinel at all as an assist.

Another Weakness:
Can't use Sentinel Assist while Sentinel is on point.

Glix

Ferrio said:

Strengths:
-Best Health in Game.
-Great Hyper combos
-One of the best Assists

Weakness:
Big
Kinda slow

Everyone is OP in this game. Sent is not so bad.

Grifter

Dave Long said:
And yet if you go online to play people and they land one combo on you, you are completely fucked and your game is over in seconds. So how do you learn anything?

Again, the problem is the in the matchmaking and the assholes who sit in Beginner rooms wailing on people because they can. You cannot hope to get better if all you do is sit and watch three characters tag in and combo each of your characters out one by one.

This is what people who already know how to play the game don't understand and never will. 50-hit canned combos are fine when you can pull them off regularly after HOURS of practice. They make the game exclusionary to a huge number of players when you can't, and with broken matchmaking you have no way to play human players without constantly running into some dickbag who just wants to rub his heel in everyone's face.

I've said my bit. People in this thread don't want to hear any negatives. That's fine. Enjoy the game.
No doubt the gap's huge if you're a true noob, but playing random people isn't your only choice. You're on GAF, find people to learn with. This may be pushing it, but play with friends in person and discuss the game.

If you do have to play randoms, try not to fall for the same things. Key in on one opening you gave up and break it down in training mode. Not everyone is out to troll you, and you may be losing to relative beginners who know just a bit more. It's hard to tell who's actually good in this game with its easy crazy combos.

El Sloth

Banned
NinajHeartless said:
Any scrubs who want to train I am playing on XBL right now

GT: General Convo

Just went 30 matches against a guy who obviously knew little or nothing about fighting Dormammu...though his Sentinel made sure that I didn't win too much :/
Hey, I don't know if you saw my last post, but just to be sure: Dude, use your assists more when you're rushing down with X-23! You make it too easy for people to pushblock you and regroup.

Has anyone else experimented with Hsien-Ko and meter gain assists(Morrigan and Ammy)?

Her corner game is pretty insane. You can build an entire three meters in less than fifteen seconds if you manage to get some hits in the corner. Two meters is still attainable while they're blocking everything and you can use the assist to gain meter right after you launch someone for an air combo.

This is a pretty sick strategy if you've got an awesome keep away character and it should pair well with characters who've got great chip damage(think Dormammu or Ryu).

Ferrio

Banned
SolarPowered said:
Has anyone else experimented with Hsien-Ko (....)
Her corner game is pretty insane.

You must be using a different character than I am. She'd mediocre at best.... What by chance makes her insane in the corner?

"You must be using a different character than I am. She'd mediocre at best.... What by chance makes her insane in the corner?"

The only corner stuff I can get out of her is that her pendulum will cross up an opponent (her dash will too, of course), even if they're completely back up against the wall. I don't think either of these would qualify "insane," though.

Also, given the opportunity pretty much anyone can gain 3 meters in 15 seconds. 15 seconds is a lifetime.

Ferrio said:
You must be using a different character than I am. She'd mediocre at best.... What by chance makes her insane in the corner?
Heavy attacks in the air with a good assist like cold star gives you some options. I've spent some time in training mode and it does wonders against Sent. Magneto is another story since he can parry your attacks.

The one thing that came to mind just now is guard break. I'd imagine that it'd break any pressure you are trying to set up.

Ploid 3.0

Ferrio said:
Another Weakness:

Also during xfactor his health appear to regenerate slower because he has so much. Oh and his guts make you think he's almost dead and you change him out when he has enough to take more hits.

Ferrio

Banned
SolarPowered said:
Heavy attacks in the air with a good assist like cold star gives you some options.s.

That's not really insane though... or even anything special. Like Tek said the only thing even remotely neat about her in corner is the pendulum, and she can sneak a couple extra hits in her bnb for minimal damage upgrade.

Tokubetsu

Grifter said:
i dunno who to play either, was just too lazy to mix/match when i had teams preset.

i couldn't stand mvc2 so i'm still grasping the teamwork and need people to grow with.

We can grow together Grifter.

Fair enough. I think he's overpowered right now. You think he's going to be a fair character. Time will tell. I find none of your points compelling, and you find none of mine compelling. Agree to disagree.
I don't think he's going to be a fair character, I just think it's too early to tell. Remember Iceman in MvC2. For a while, people thought he was top tier; Icebeam spam combined with Avalanche was just so good. Then people figured out all the crazy things other characters could do, and now, you would never see Iceman is even used. Maybe Sentinel is an Iceman, maybe not. I actively discourage people from assuming what we know now is what we will know six months from now, though.

Today, someone found a new, true, infinite with Captain America apparently. Someone already found an Akuma infinite. There's a lot left to be discovered, and Sentinel might have very few real assets by the time we discover it all.

Another Weakness:
Have you ever noticed that a lot of the characters would benefit from having themselves as an assist? When Sentinel had his reveal trailer, I told my wife I wasn't sure whether Air Raid or Sentinel Force would be better, and she said "Why not just have two Sentinels on your team?" - if only...

Now it turns out he's not even fun to play as.

Has anyone else experimented with Hsien-Ko and meter gain assists(Morrigan and Ammy)?

Her corner game is pretty insane. You can build an entire three meters in less than fifteen seconds if you manage to get some hits in the corner. Two meters is still attainable while they're blocking everything and you can use the assist to gain meter right after you launch someone for an air combo.

This is a pretty sick strategy if you've got an awesome keep away character and it should pair well with characters who've got great chip damage(think Dormammu or Ryu).
Hsien-ko/Amaterasu/Dormammu is actually on my "to try" list. I barely have enough time to learn my actual characters as it is, though.

Magneto is another story since he can parry your attacks.
I wish Ryu had SF3 Parry mechanics.

Nyx

Good to see that I'm not the only one who was decent at SSFIV, but struggling with this game due to the speed, assists, and those 'gazillion' hit combos.

I use Dormammu/Amaterasu/Felicia with Dark Hole/Cold Star/Cat Spike assists, but tbh I have no idea if this is a good setup at all.

In mission mode I get stuck at 5 with most chars, I feel like my fingers get tangled when i have to jump after the LMH combo for even more hits, maybe I'm doing it too fast.

Oh well, back to training mode and player matches.

El Sloth said:
Hey, I don't know if you saw my last post, but just to be sure: Dude, use your assists more when you're rushing down with X-23! You make it too easy for people to pushblock you and regroup.

I saw your post but I don't think any of the assists on my team are any good (except lei-lei with dat gold) for that. Dormammu's leaves him so vulnerable I am terrified to risk losing Herr Dormington

Teknopathetic said:
Also, given the opportunity pretty much anyone can gain 3 meters in 15 seconds. 15 seconds is a lifetime.
I've seen that happen with Sentinel and Trish, but not anyone else yet.

Edit:
Are you ok, Ninja?

I think I may have gone overboard...

Ferrio said:

Strengths:
-Best Health in Game.
-Great Hyper combos
-One of the best Assists

Weakness:
Big
Kinda slow

Well, he IS easy to use (although some of his advanced stuff looks ridiculously hard) and does tons of damage. The main problem is that he just cannot keep up with the faster characters. Sure, one hit and the fast character is dead but I think he'll settle in after a while.

There's a lot of people who still think Tager is broken when he's still one of the worst characters -- he deals tons of damage. As soon as people learn to avoid his attacks, he'll have to rely on more mixups and assists.

I think it'll get a lot more interesting once the harder to use characters (Ammy, X-23, Felicia, Thor, C.Viper) get fleshed out by the players. It'll really sort out the tier list.

Wasn't Magneto considered mid-low tier in MvC2 for two years before they figured him out?

edit: Also, ggs yesterday night... Nice playing you again :D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
An interesting thing I realized the other day, the game doesn't have negative edging. I can't recall off hand if MvC2 even had negative edging, but I imagine it could be screwing up some people who went from SSFIV to MvC3.

Though I imagine in a game like this, negative edge might be more of a liability than an advantage.

Ovid

Door2Dawn said:
xfgammacrush6q6a.gif
'

Hulk approves
That shit is INSANE!!! KO'd the entire team with one special.

I really need to play this game more often. Haven't played since Sunday.

Darkman M

Just had an 30 game set almost no noticeable input lag, with a pretty decent Viper. I think i found a semi decent team in Wolverine,Haggar, and Phoenix. I feel im getting better, but still far from where id like to be.

Anybody notice the machinima live thing on tuesday? Get hype? *shrug*
I am expecting Shuma/Jill gameplay trailers...which we already have thanks to people who have wonked the disk.

An interesting thing I realized the other day, the game doesn't have negative edging. I can't recall off hand if MvC2 even had negative edging, but I imagine it could be screwing up some people who went from SSFIV to MvC3.

Though I imagine in a game like this, negative edge might be more of a liability than an advantage.
MvC2 did not. Why do you think it might be more of a liability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom