• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

supasmashed

Neo Member
man i went on a 9 game win streak with spencer and morrigan assist. Apparently no one knows how to deal with BIONIIIIC AAARRRRRMMMMM! Man i feel stupid for actually trying to play somewhat "decently" before this. Exploiting characters the way to go

zlatko

Banned
Ultimoo said:
man I just got raped by Zero + Sentinel assist, so annoying. Zero just spams qcb + h while the drones are out and I can't do anything. I need a good drones assist. D:

That's just an over head that hits 3 times. Block High.

If he does QCB + M he'll end up behind you while the drones hit you in the front. That's when things get sticky.

kitzkozan

My god,Wong just keep on proving how much better he is as a gamer than Sanford or Yipes.Those dudes just don't have the complete toolbox that he does and it make so much sense that Sanford never came close to being as dominant at SFIV than Wong. :p

Solune

supasmashed said:
man i went on a 9 game win streak with spencer and morrigan assist. Apparently no one knows how to deal with BIONIIIIC AAARRRRRMMMMM! Man i feel stupid for actually trying to play somewhat "decently" before this. Exploiting characters the way to go
lol, until you play something that actually knows how to hold back. then what you call "exploiting" characters is really you not playing anyone decent. Exploiting characters is using their abilities to their full potential, not spamming 1 super bar. We call those people scrubs.

Ferrio

Banned
I need to read up on Dormammu, i get screwed when he's on point and I have no meter. Anyone got any quick tips? Also god damn his qcb, i always get the teleport cause i go from blocking to that move... and it registers a teleport instead.

Also I found out it's impossible to hit confirm tron's J.H for me online. I can do it fine in training mode when bars are set to 5, set it to 4.... impossible. Which really sucks.

N4Us said:
Doing that feels soooooooooooo goood

I hate that shit online, so difficult to deal with.

Riposte

kitzkozan said:
My god,Wong just keep on proving how much better he is as a gamer than Sanford or Yipes.Those dudes just don't have the complete toolbox that he does and it make so much sense that Sanford never came close to being as dominant at SFIV than Wong. :p

Wong is straight up a prodigy. Even if Daigo exists, lol.

Dahbomb

Lost Fragment said:
I think I'd like Dr Doom more if he didn't look like the Tinman cosplaying as Link.
Use the pimp black and red costume. Doom looks boss in that suit.

doctor-doom-marvel-vs-capcom-3-colors.jpg

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man. OH MAN.

Just called up ShopTo to see if they still had the free comic.
They did, so I placed an order for £32.86, and literally 2 minutes later I get a text saying it's been dispatched by 1st class mail for free!

Forgot how tight they are. Can't wait to get training tomorrow!

Edit: Wow, sites are censored? Whoops.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Wow its been a long while people haven't used sentinels in player matches... all the people I meet seem to run various teams. Sure a lot of people are spamming hoping they hit something, but at least no sents ;)!

Game is starting to grow on me, went back to ssf4 and it wasn't the same... missing the craziness! Still don't respect the infinites and a lot of the bullshit... but I try to work around it!

So, I was just thinking about the team I wanted to roll with when the game came out, and I realized it's pretty much unchanged, except I've replaced Thor with Sent. Question though - is anyone actually USING Thor decently? I don't think I've heard or seen a single person using him.
I would use Thor, but I really hate his character. It's unbelievably cheap that Marvel would rip off an entire mythology and sell it as a comic.

Body us, and then leaves cause you drop a combo... For shame! GGs though! I need to decide on a team still, I switch every day. :-/
I know the feeling. Just two days ago I realized all the amazing things Dormammu can do with Jam Session; bye-bye Dr. Doom. Hopefully Shuma-Gorath can replace Sentinel.

I'm having a ton of fun with Dormammu, speedy character du jour (Deadpool, Ammy, She-Hulk in constant run mode, Super Skrull), and Hulk as my assist-only, level 3 X-Factor if he ends up alone cheese factory.

Now I don't win a whole lot, but I'm still having a ton of fun.
Deadpool is an awesome partner for Dormammu.

You're nuts. The only teleport better is Phoenix. Dormammu's is infinitely worse, and Deadpool's fucks up every third time. Jill's requires her to be in a stance where she can't block. Dante's is fast and he can hit people after. That's really all he needs. Wesker can't effectively anti-air people with his teleports.
Phoenix is undoubtedly better. Dormammu's has more versatility than Dante's, and he can still combo out of it just fine if you use the right assist; he also recovers faster. Deadpool's explodes every third time, but you can combo off of the explosion and it's screen-dependent rather than character-dependent. Wesker can't anti-air, but he can undoubtedly play mindgames with his teleports more than any other character in this game. I'm not saying Dante's teleport is bad, I'm just saying it's arguably the worst.

How can you grab when in blockstun from doom's beam eh eh?
If you want to consider assists, all of the teleports become more equal; Dante, Dormammu, and Phoenix can all combo off of Plasma Beam. Wesker can too, as long as he is in range. Deadpool is situational, obviously.

Yes, because it's fast. I'm talking about punishes here. Dante's gonna hit more stuff.
It has a 10 frame startup with 20 frames of recovery. Dormammu's is 13 startup with 17 recovery. Phoenix's is 10 startup with 20 recovery. I forget Wesker's, but I think it's something like 12 startup with 19 recovery or something - I remember it being slightly slower than the others in total frames needed for completion. I don't know Deadpool's. Unlike all of these, Dante's can only go to one spot, and it's more choreographed.

What exactly is its amazing advantage?

Seems like everyone playing online is angry and/or complaining about spammers, cheapers and quitters... does that mean all of the low-level players have quit already? I still haven't gone online yet, must be why I'm still having fun.
The people complaining are the low-level players.

I just noticed something. On the PS Store, the Shadow Battle DLC is labeled as "Shadow Battle 01", thus implying that there will be more. The costume pack, however, is just labeled "Costume Pack". You'd think that if they had plans for any more, the one that's currently up would be numbered like the Shadow Battle stuff.
It would be kind of silly to only make costumes for 6 characters. Niitsuma said the goal is DLC every 2 weeks; I doubt that will all be characters. I hope it will not just be Shadow Mode DLC, because I will cry like a little girl.

I think I'd like Dr Doom more if he didn't look like the Tinman cosplaying as Link.
I love this.

kitzkozan said:

yeah but Sanford has a life, lulz :p

rager

Banned
coming from street fighter to this game is frustrating, so much is going on. I played a friend who I think was doing simple mode, he was not doing too many specials but kept hitting me with air combos and it was so annoying. I need to good players to train with just so I can kick his ass, because he is not beating me with skill just button mashing.

PSN: Beowolf

Moofers

I'd love an invite to the GAF MvC3 chat on PSN. I tried sending a friend request to Eraldo_Coil but his list is full. Anyone else care to let me in?

PSN: Unoillnino

I'd love an invite to the GAF MvC3 chat on PSN. I tried sending a friend request to Eraldo_Coil but his list is full. Anyone else care to let me in?

PSN: Unoillnino
Glad to, but I know I'll forget by the time I get home - my PSN is Karsticles if you want to send me a reminder.

RyanCE

Banned
Karsticles said:
I would use Thor, but I really hate his character. It's unbelievably cheap that Marvel would rip off an entire mythology and sell it as a comic.
There really aren't many similarities between the two outside of character names and locations. Marvel has spent the last 50 years constructing an original history for their Thor. Much the same, I wouldn't call Shakespeare "unbelievably cheap" for doing the same thing with most of his plays.

Karsticles said:
It would be kind of silly to only make costumes for 6 characters. Niitsuma said the goal is DLC every 2 weeks; I doubt that will all be characters. I hope it will not just be Shadow Mode DLC, because I will cry like a little girl.
Since there are 30 Shadow Battle titles and 50 Event titles, you might want to start crying now.

There really aren't many similarities between the two outside of character names and locations. Marvel has spent the last 50 years constructing an original history for their Thor. Much the same, I wouldn't call Shakespeare "unbelievably cheap" for doing the same thing with most of his plays.
That's enough; I'm aware they didn't steal the plotline, otherwise Ragnarok and yada yada would have occurred. I don't judge actions, I judge the spirit behind those actions; the Shakespeare analogy simply does not apply for me.

Since there are 30 Shadow Battle titles and 50 Event titles, you might want to start crying now.
I hope it will not just be Shadow Mode DLC, because I will cry like a little girl.
Capcom can add all the Shadows they want, just as long as it's not the only thing we get. Until we actually know what "events" are, I see no need to complain about them. They could be cool, they could be trash.

I still don't think I've heard you talk about the actual game CAW - are you liking it? Who are you using?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Karsticles said:
That's enough; I'm aware they didn't steal the plotline, otherwise Ragnarok and yada yada would have occurred. I don't judge actions, I judge the spirit behind those actions; the Shakespeare analogy simply does not apply for me.

... so nobody can reference an existing mythology in a comic, movie, or have a mythological legend show up in their storyline without being a "rip off"?

If that's the case, jillions of things are "cheap rip offs", since ancient mythology is universal and the underpinning for enough things to fill an encyclopedia.

Sorry; the concept of "stealing" applied to ancient myths that have been retold over and over by countless people, modified, rejiggered, mutated, and so on, seems kind of empty to me. You do realize said mythologies don't have anything like a single author who is being "infringed" right? Part of what makes it mythology.

RyanCE

Banned
Karsticles said:
I still don't think I've heard you talk about the actual game CAW - are you liking it? Who are you using?
I still haven't found a team I'm really comfortable with. Ideally, I'd like to use my favorite source material characters: Arthur, Haggar, and M.O.D.O.K.; but I'm not getting the synergy from them that I would have liked. There are a lot of characters I've played who really mesh well with my playing style, but since I couldn't care less about them outside of MvC I don't feel compelled to put them on my team. It doesn't help that I haven't put much time into the game — I've probably played for five hours total over the past week. Still, it's a really good game at its core, but as somebody who plays primarily offline and is quick to bore, its selection of modes does little for me. I don't know... I think I was expecting something a little different. It feels like Capcom made the game with the tournament scene in mind without realizing that the tournament scene constitutes an incredibly small percentage of the game's target audience.

... so nobody can reference an existing mythology in a comic, movie, or have a mythological legend show up in their storyline without being a "rip off"?

If that's the case, jillions of things are "cheap rip offs", since ancient mythology is universal and the underpinning for enough things to fill an encyclopedia.

Sorry; the concept of "stealing" applied to ancient myths that have been retold over and over by countless people, modified, rejiggered, mutated, and so on, seems kind of empty to me. You do realize said mythologies don't have anything like a single author who is being "infringed" right? Part of what makes it mythology.
I have a minor in religious studies, and my degree focused on Greek philosophy - I am well aware of the origins of mythologies. I maintain my position, and ask that you take it as no sign of disrespect that I opt to end the conversation here.

I still haven't found a team I'm really comfortable with.
I know the feeling. Just last night I decided I really like Sentinel/Dormammu/Dante (don't I look unique), but I still want to remain open to Shuma-Gorath, just because he looks so good for Dormammu.

Ideally, I'd like to use my favorite source material characters: Arthur, Haggar, and M.O.D.O.K.; but I'm not getting the synergy from them that I would have liked.
That's hilarious! I'm going through and playing 30 matches with each character to get all the titles (OCD about that stuff), and one of the teams I made is Arthur/MODOK/Haggar. I'm actually digging the team a lot after losing my first 6 matches straight. I ended up going with Arthur (Daggers)/MODOK (Psionic Blast)/Haggar (Double Lariat). I actually try to make Arthur my last character if I'm not doing well, because Gold Armor Arthur with level 3 X-Factor spamming arrows is so strong. I tried other assist combinations, and I just don't think Arthur's other two assists are worthwhile. I tried MODOK's Floating Bomb, and I felt like I needed more ranged pressure.

There are a lot of characters I've played who really mesh well with my playing style, but since I couldn't care less about them outside of MvC I don't feel compelled to put them on my team.
I know this feeling as well, but it tends to be more that I can't stand their lines. In MvC2, I only had to care about whether the character looked cool and played how I wanted them to. When I hear Spencer say something like "How could I lose? I have a bionic arm.", I just can't ever see myself playing him and hearing that line over and over. It kills the victory for me.

It doesn't help that I haven't put much time into the game — I've probably played for five hours total over the past week. Still, it's a really good game at its core, but as somebody who plays primarily offline and is quick to bore, its selection of modes does little for me. I don't know... I think I was expecting something a little different. It feels like Capcom made the game with the tournament scene in mind without realizing that the tournament scene constitutes an incredibly small percentage of the game's target audience.
Why no online play? The game has all the gameplay modes MvC2 did unless you were a fan of Score Attack. I've never been to a tournament, but I'm still having a blast online with casual play. I'm close to 100 hours played - can't get enough of it, I even turned it on with the 10 minutes I had before work this morning just to test another idea out.

jdub03

I ranked down from 8th lord to fighter trying to level up my new team. I'm so frustrated right now. Though my felicia is coming along, it's very slow going.

RyanCE

Banned
Karsticles said:
Why no online play? The game has all the gameplay modes MvC2 did unless you were a fan of Score Attack. I've never been to a tournament, but I'm still having a blast online with casual play. I'm close to 100 hours played - can't get enough of it, I even turned it on with the 10 minutes I had before work this morning just to test another idea out.
I'm not sure what the source of the problem is (I'm guessing the console itself), but despite having a pretty solid Internet connection, my PS3 has always had a hard time connecting online. There's way too much lag. Coupled with my general dislike of the "online gaming community" (spamming, hate messages, etc.) I'm not bothered so much by it. I'm not great at the game by any means anyway, so I'd rather just have fun playing against similarly-skilled people via local multiplayer (infrequent as it may be) than get frustrated playing against the legitimate online experts or the online "cheaters."

Regarding the modes, MvC2 didn't have much either, but that was 10 years ago. Capcom's still acting like we're in the '90s when it comes to fighting game content. Look at the new Mortal Kombat's single player modes for an example of what COULD be done. I think Capcom has fooled most of us into thinking that the genre is stagnant and has nothing to offer beyond regular fighting.

dankir said:
Can anybody tell me which DMC game Trish and Dante's themes are from? I want to hear the originals.

thanks!
Trish's theme is from DMC1 and Dante's if from DMC3. I think they just the regular ambient fight music from the games.

I'm not sure what the source of the problem is (I'm guessing the console itself), but despite having a pretty solid Internet connection, my PS3 has always had a hard time connecting online. There's way too much lag. Coupled with my general dislike of the "online gaming community" (spamming, hate messages, etc.) I'm not bothered so much by it. I'm not great at the game by any means anyway, so I'd rather just have fun playing against similarly-skilled people via local multiplayer (infrequent as it may be) than get frustrated playing against the legitimate online experts or the online "cheaters."
Are you wired? A lot of people find plugging it in to be a solution.

This has been recommended to me in the past as well:
http://foggaming.com/modules.php?name=PS3&file=ps3_ip

Regarding the modes, MvC2 didn't have much either, but that was 10 years ago. Capcom's still acting like we're in the '90s when it comes to fighting game content. Look at the new Mortal Kombat's single player modes for an example of what COULD be done. I think Capcom has fooled most of us into thinking that the genre is stagnant and has nothing to offer beyond regular fighting.
I come from the opposite end of the spectrum; I am glad Capcom didn't waste time on a bunch of mini-games, and instead focused on the core gameplay. I've seen enough MK9 gameplay to recognize that the actual combat is horribly outdated. Budgets are all limited, and I wish Capcom would have taken away the money put toward the dynamic stages and intro video as well, and put them toward even two more characters. That sort of thing just doesn't add anything to my experience.

I don't necessarily find a lack of funky features to be a sign of stagnation. If anything, I'd like this game more without X-Factor and Aerial Exchanges. May you find the game more enjoyable in the future.

RyanCE said:
I still haven't found a team I'm really comfortable with. Ideally, I'd like to use my favorite source material characters: Arthur, Haggar, and M.O.D.O.K.; but I'm not getting the synergy from them that I would have liked. There are a lot of characters I've played who really mesh well with my playing style, but since I couldn't care less about them outside of MvC I don't feel compelled to put them on my team. It doesn't help that I haven't put much time into the game — I've probably played for five hours total over the past week. Still, it's a really good game at its core, but as somebody who plays primarily offline and is quick to bore, its selection of modes does little for me. I don't know... I think I was expecting something a little different. It feels like Capcom made the game with the tournament scene in mind without realizing that the tournament scene constitutes an incredibly small percentage of the game's target audience.

It actually has a pretty good synergy on paper. Arthur/MODOK gets help from Haggar when he gets cornered/rushdowned, Haggar gets help with distance with Arthur's bottle/MODOK's shield. It's just that Haggar is low tier and Arthur/MODOK are hard to use.

RyanCE

Banned
Karsticles said:
Are you wired? A lot of people find plugging it in to be a solution.

This has been recommended to me in the past as well:
http://foggaming.com/modules.php?name=PS3&file=ps3_ip

I come from the opposite end of the spectrum; I am glad Capcom didn't waste time on a bunch of mini-games, and instead focused on the core gameplay. I've seen enough MK9 gameplay to recognize that the actual combat is horribly outdated. Budgets are all limited, and I wish Capcom would have taken away the money put toward the dynamic stages and intro video as well, and put them toward even two more characters. That sort of thing just doesn't add anything to my experience.

I don't necessarily find a lack of funky features to be a sign of stagnation. If anything, I'd like this game more without X-Factor and Aerial Exchanges. May you find the game more enjoyable in the future.
It's very enjoyable, but I just feel as though I'd have a much better time if there was more to do. A bigger roster would be ideal. Whenever I play the game and see the amount of effort Capcom put into each of the characters (personalized dialog, text speech, and other little touches), it amazes me that they bothered going through all of that trouble with somebody like Hsien-Ko or Felicia instead of characters people actually care about (sorry Darkstalkers fans). Despite some of the great choices that Capcom made with the roster, there are some completely underwhelming and baffling characters to choose from that just don't interest me in the least bit. I don't necessarily have a problem with the roster consisting of 36 characters but rather the 36 that they chose to include. I can't see myself ever wanting to touch half of the roster outside of getting their titles and gallery stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom