• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMaRsu

Man how the fuck do you counter dark phoenix? I mean I've encountered plenty of fuckers using her as a last resort, but honestly I don't know what I'm supposed to do against them. The chip damage is so high it's almost unbeatable.

NeoCross

Shulkie player here, I can't seem to land that down+H senton after the j.M,j.H,S then TACc afterwards. The senton seems to completely miss. Any other She Hulk players out there that can help a bro out? Is there a specific timing to when I'm supposed to do down+H?

LordAlu

MMaRsu said:
Man how the fuck do you counter dark phoenix? I mean I've encountered plenty of fuckers using her as a last resort, but honestly I don't know what I'm supposed to do against them. The chip damage is so high it's almost unbeatable.
You could X-Factor? Or if you've got any character with a directional or full screen super just wait for her to activate flying and use it. For example Ryu's super is immense for dealing with Dark Pheonix.

evil ways

MMaRsu said:
When I know someone is saving Phoenix till the end with the max 5 bars I just take my sweet time, do as much damage to the other 2 characters as I can and when it's Phoenix time, get her health down as low as possible and let the time run out.

This is assuming you have a health advantage and you're a good blocker. It's even easier if you saved your Xf as well, activate with 10 seconds left on the clock. Cheap but hilarious.

MMaRsu

Ok so how the fuck do you beat this cheese tactic?

Dude picks Doom/Sent/Haggar

I get ready for an awesome fight and I start by beating Hagger up, but then he switches to Doom and gets into the left corner. From there on out he only spams projectiles with doom, but when I get close to attack him, he users Haggars ( seemingly invincible ) assist. I couldn't get Haggars health down because he'd only use him when I came close to doom.

The only correct answer is: do not let your opponent get to Dark Phoenix. Snap her in and killer her early, or run away when you get Phoenix down to just a sliver if you killed the other two characters early on, and try to win by time out. In the right hands, she is intended to be an "I win" button.

In any game of strategy, your opponent has a goal. Your goal ought to be thwarting their goal. Your opponent's plan is to get Dark Phoenix out. Stop him.

This is assuming you have a health advantage and you're a good blocker. It's even easier if you saved your Xf as well, activate with 10 seconds left on the clock. Cheap but hilarious.
Any time someone complains that me running down the clock is cheap, I tell them to stop playing Phoenix, and I won't. If they're good, they won't let me run anyway; they have only their own lack of skills to blame.

I get ready for an awesome fight and I start by beating Hagger up, but then he switches to Doom and gets into the left corner. From there on out he only spams projectiles with doom, but when I get close to attack him, he users Haggars ( seemingly invincible ) assist. I couldn't get Haggars health down because he'd only use him when I came close to doom.
1) Tell us who you were using. Counters are almost always character-specific.
2) Haggar is vulnerable for 10 frames toward the end of his assist.
3) Like all assists, Double Lariat has a cooldown. Bait it out, then go in.

nilbog21

Banned
MMaRsu said:

ROFL this is probably me

im so ashamed

MMaRsu

Karsticles said:
The only correct answer is: do not let your opponent get to Dark Phoenix. Snap her in and killer her early, or run away when you get Phoenix down to just a sliver if you killed the other two characters early on, and try to win by time out. In the right hands, she is intended to be an "I win" button.

In any game of strategy, your opponent has a goal. Your goal ought to be thwarting their goal. Your opponent's plan is to get Dark Phoenix out. Stop him.

Any time someone complains that me running down the clock is cheap, I tell them to stop playing Phoenix, and I won't. If they're good, they won't let me run anyway; they have only their own lack of skills to blame.

1) Tell us who you were using. Counters are almost always character-specific.
2) Haggar is vulnerable for 10 frames toward the end of his assist.
3) Like all assists, Double Lariat has a cooldown. Bait it out, then go in.

I was using the team I always use, Sent/Wesker/Hulk.. I just couldn't get in close enough, and if I did he would block everything and call in Haggar again..

MMaRsu said:

Ive found most level 3's will take her out if you time it the sec she is fully transformed.

It works best for me with magneto but here is a few example via SRK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iahxsT_KPw&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dlrQmgczQ&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1I7jZ51VWg&feature=player_embedded

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
MMaRsu said:
I was using the team I always use, Sent/Wesker/Hulk.. I just couldn't get in close enough, and if I did he would block everything and call in Haggar again..

That team has a lot of options. I haven't played against a lot of Dooms outside of them being exploited for his assist. Sent drones are so good, you can use them to cover your approach. Wesker's Samurai Edge, when timed properly, stops a lot of projectiles in startup animation since it's so fast. You can also IAD Hard Drive to just plow right through any projectiles he sends, Gamma Crush if he throws any Hyper out, or Level 3 Hyper with Wesker if you manage to get close enough.

Shuma-Gorath and Jill playable at SXSW and PAX East starting today:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_in.../shuma_and_jill_playable_at_pax_east_and_sxsw

Who wants to take some videos of Shuma-Gorath's moveset? :-D

Sentinel has a great counter: dash forward to bait the Haggar assist, dash back, wait half a second for Haggar's Double Lariat to go most of the way through, Hyper Sentinel Force. Since the entire team depends on his assist to survive, you could feasibly blow X-Factor here and just kill of Haggar, or DHC into your other characters. Plasma Charge will also outrange the assist easily and provide heavy damage. Lasers do really high damage against assists.

Use Wesker's projectile counter to close in on Doom without having to worry about Haggar at all. I'm not sure if his normal or hyper counters would help against Haggar, but I'm guessing not. Also, Wesker can do a pretty good job just trolling from afar with his Samurai Edge being spammed off of hyper jumps against keepaway characters - Dr. Doom doesn't have an easy answer to this.

Hulk's is probably the easiest - Gamma Crush is invincible during the entire animation. Dash forward, bait the Haggar assist, wait for a moment, X-Factor cancel your block stun, Gamma Crush away most of Haggar's life, and then DHC into your other characters to finish the job. Also, don't forget Hulk has Gamma Wave - it's a pretty good move for frustrating keepaway.

Those are all costly and difficult, but they are in addition to the previous strategies I mentioned.

It will be interesting to see if they changed anything from the strategy guide build. God's Beard said certain moves looked slower. It would be funny if his bnb combos are already obsolete, lol

Owensboro

Lothars said:
Thanks alot for the link, I am going to do it tonight.

Just curious, do you have a link to the gate you are buying? I bought buttons off of lizardlick but only because I had a link to em (and I'm positive I would have bought the wrong ones otherwise). I'd hate to potentially mess up either my TE or Fightstick with a wrong part. I'd love to drop an octo-gate in my second stick just to try it out.

Owensboro said:
Just curious, do you have a link to the gate you are buying? I bought buttons off of lizardlick but only because I had a link to em (and I'm positive I would have bought the wrong ones otherwise). I'd hate to potentially mess up either my TE or Fightstick with a wrong part. I'd love to drop an octo-gate in my second stick just to try it out.
The part name is Sanwa GT-Y and that's the one compatible with TE or SE fightstick.

jdub03

Alucrid

Banned
_dementia said:
2B

Not sure if you need to dash beforehand, but I have seen it link in Max's videos

Ok, sounds good, thanks. I got using his qcf B and connecting after that into a launch combo, but never knew what to do after his OTG. I wish I could go into practice mode...well, practice mode other than my head.

Owensboro said:
That's the one.

Parallax Scroll said:
These will work on a TE, yes.

There's a really good GAF thread for Arcade stick questions here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207393

Karsticles said:
Maybe he should stop getting his first two characters bodied in the first 49 seconds and then rejoicing once Dark Phoenix comes out to cover his poor play. Even then, Phoenix is one of the hardest characters to run away from in the game; a good Phoenix will seriously make you pay hard for trying to run, because she has no reason to protect herself if you have Dark Phoenix plus a level 3 X-Factor waiting for you. It's really hard to run from a character who has both tracking fireballs and an opponent-based teleport, plus 3 different traps that cover different angles of the screen. Against a bad Phoenix that relies on filling the screen with feathers and chip damage with level 3 X-Factor, I'll run all day without getting hit though, and my opponent has only himself to blame.
I'm still of the opinion that a simple addition of infinite time would go a long way towards appeasing those of us who don't want to pour through pages of information or play hours and hours to learn this. I can't say that I disagree with any of this though. It's all well thought out and pretty logical.

Neki

SolarPowered said:
I'm still of the opinion that a simple addition of infinite time would go a long way towards appeasing those of us who don't want to pour through pages of information or play hours and hours to learn this. I can't say that I disagree with any of this though. It's all well thought out and pretty logical.
Infinite time just encourages turtling, do you mean in ranked/player mode the option of having infinite? (sorry just read this response)

Also, haven't got any hate PSN mail yet, what am I doing wrong, am I really that bad? :(

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ultimoo said:
Infinite time just encourages turtling, do you mean in ranked/player mode the option of having infinite? (sorry just read this response)

Also, haven't got any hate PSN mail yet, what am I doing wrong, am I really that bad? :(

Maybe your playstyle isn't as infuriating as other peoples'. I can't help but think that most people who get ragemail are people who appear to turtle or spam.

Ultimoo said:

Just option.

I'd prefer to just leave it as it is if I were given the option of forcing infinite time only. I'd be just as wrong as the other person who wants solely timed matches. It'd be silly to make this a black and white issue in a generation that should allow multiple options and ways to play a game.

If you mean in lobby matches, I agree with you entirely - there's even a "Rule Restricted" option for your lobby's name...but no way to actually communicate the rules? As long as ranked stays uniform, I don't see the problem with letting people enjoy the game in their own way in their small lobbies. Heck, add no X-Factor, no Aerial Exchange, no Hyper Combo, and no Assist modes; I'm fine with all of it. I would never use any of it, but I don't see the problem with letting people enjoy the game how they want.

Personally, I would kill for an online training mode. Just me and a friend messing around for half an hour and figuring things out.

Naw, I think it has been pretty tame too, and I use Sentinel on point with a ~150-30 record on ranked. Half of my matches are OCVs against people who, I swear, just don't have a back button on their controller. I've received a total of maybe 5 hatemail since I started playing, >1000 matches played. People who receive hatemail just like to come online and brag about it, so it seems more frequent than it is. Same thing with ragequitters.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
thoughtspeak said:
Ive found most level 3's will take her out if you time it the sec she is fully transformed.
She can block on the first frame after resurrection. It has no recovery.

You can only guarantee a KO if you have something unblockable or if you can pin her down with enough chip damage before she can touch the ground and activate X-Factor or tag.

shaowebb

Sixfortyfive said:
She can block on the first frame after resurrection. It has no recovery.

You can only guarantee a KO if you have something unblockable or if you can pin her down with enough chip damage before she can touch the ground and activate X-Factor or tag.

I got She-Hulked when I went into Dark Phoenix once. That command grab super killed her in one. I couldn't help but laugh. That was a pretty hilarious STFU.

Karsticles said:
If you mean in lobby matches, I agree with you entirely - there's even a "Rule Restricted" option for your lobby's name...but no way to actually communicate the rules? As long as ranked stays uniform, I don't see the problem with letting people enjoy the game in their own way in their small lobbies. Heck, add no X-Factor, no Aerial Exchange, no Hyper Combo, and no Assist modes; I'm fine with all of it. I would never use any of it, but I don't see the problem with letting people enjoy the game how they want.

Personally, I would kill for an online training mode. Just me and a friend messing around for half an hour and figuring things out.
I would love this so much as well. I think it's something they should talk about for the inevitable sequel to this game. Me and several friends could find a great use for this. Hell, something like this with spectator mode would be some fancy shit. Like a live fighting game tutorial taught by the more knowledgeable folks in our circles.

Capcom needs to learn a thing or two from Valve about how to build good will with customers and ideas like this one are a good place to start.
Karsticles said:
Naw, I think it has been pretty tame too, and I use Sentinel on point with a ~150-30 record on ranked. Half of my matches are OCVs against people who, I swear, just don't have a back button on their controller. I've received a total of maybe 5 hatemail since I started playing, >1000 matches played. People who receive hatemail just like to come online and brag about it, so it seems more frequent than it is. Same thing with ragequitters.
I'm always surprised about the tons of hate mail received around here as well. I've got over 700 matches under my belt and I've received two bad messages if I remember correctly. Neither of them are even a half as vicious as some of the stuff people have gotten here though.

I guess I'm just lucky.

zlatko

Banned
shaowebb said:
I got She-Hulked when I went into Dark Phoenix once. That command grab super killed her in one. I couldn't help but laugh. That was a pretty hilarious STFU.

My favorite win against a Dphoenix user was I saved up 3 bars, then I killed regular Phoenix to bring out D. My sent goes down and I had a half health Deadpool left. He came in she did the usual shot into teleport, so the second I saw her flash to tele, boom level 3 and she got slapped with some meter. AND IT'S A HOME RUn! :D

Ultimoo said:

YOU'RE THAT BAD!!! JK

You'll get one eventually. You'll be called spammer, cheap, *anything stupid* and it's your fault they lost.

Prototype-03 said:
YOU'RE THAT BAD!!! JK

You'll get one eventually. You'll be called spammer, cheap, *anything stupid* and it's your fault they lost.
lol, no shit?
bro you should have sat there and let me hit you till you die, you suck!

I don't understand some people.

Ferrio

Banned
NeoCross said:
Shulkie player here, I can't seem to land that down+H senton after the j.M,j.H,S then TACc afterwards. The senton seems to completely miss. Any other She Hulk players out there that can help a bro out? Is there a specific timing to when I'm supposed to do down+H?

Because you're not suppose to j.M. Go straight into j.H->S and do it as early in the super jump possible.

A friend bought the 360 version over yesterday, game is good fun! It took me about 2 hours to get to grasp with the new button layouts instead of the MvC2 setup, I also changed a few placements on my fightpad like character 1 and 2 on the sholder buttons.

A shame the online match searching is near broken, over about 20 minutes we found 2 matches (lost both lol :p) then we gave up, I read somewhere you find matches better using that arcade mode online ready function but we never bothered.

I find the game fun and want to own it but not at full price, it's no MvC2 to me.

LakeEarth

Karsticles said:

Exactly. There are some shitty players out there relying on Dark Pheonix to win. If all they have left is Pheonix, just run away. They should pressure you to FORCE you to hit her. If they can't do that, then you win. Hell, I've won running away for 60 seconds with Haggar of all people.

jdub03

LakeEarth said:
Exactly. There are some shitty players out there relying on Dark Pheonix to win. If all they have left is Pheonix, just run away. They should pressure you to FORCE you to hit her. If they can't do that, then you win. Hell, I've won running away for 60 seconds with Haggar of all people.

I just watched a rush down phoenix on the Final Round stream. She builds meter as a point character super fast. Once people learn how to play with phoenix(not just keep away all day), she's going to be an even greater force to reckon with.

jdub03 said:
I just watched a rush down phoenix on the Final Round stream. She builds meter as a point character super fast. Once people learn how to play with phoenix(not just keep away all day), she's going to be an even greater force to reckon with.

She does do a lot of damage, but she'll literally die from one simple combo. I see it more of a second character when they build 5 meters, call her in, do as much damage as possible and tag her out once dark phoenix comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom