• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

You know what... Thor is really good. I used to think Thor had insane damage but had trouble getting in due to mobility issues, now I don't think that is true at all.

I figured out that you can triangle jump, do a normal and kara grab into his Mighty Hurricane.

The great thing about Thor is that when he does a triangle jump close to the ground, he slides forward a great deal distance and a single triangle jump into a normal puts him from full screen next to a character in the corner, which is what he wants.

Now couple that with kara grab (d+H into Might Hurricane) and he becomes a threat at any range. You can also do this with his Hyper for some really sick shit.

I am going to go to youtube and find if someone has figured it out or not and post it as proof. Basically you just need an assist that pins the opponent to the ground long enough for you to "swoop" in for the grab and after that it's a character that is close to death or dead. X Factor LVL3 Thor might be scarier than Sentinel.

LOL apparently some one DID find it and put it on the internet: Thor tri-dash sliding into throw

Thor is also really sick in the corners and can really mess with the opponents and do crazy damage on resets. And this is Day 1 Thor technology.

Thor can also use the DHC trick.

Dahbomb said:
You know what... Thor is really good. I used to think Thor had insane damage but had trouble getting in due to mobility issues, now I don't think that is true at all.

I figured out that you can triangle jump, do a normal and kara grab into his Mighty Hurricane.

The great thing about Thor is that when he does a triangle jump close to the ground, he slides forward a great deal distance and a single triangle jump into a normal puts him from full screen next to a character in the corner, which is what he wants.

Now couple that with kara grab (d+H into Might Hurricane) and he becomes a threat at any range. You can also do this with his Hyper for some really sick shit.

I am going to go to youtube and find if someone has figured it out or not and post it as proof. Basically you just need an assist that pins the opponent to the ground long enough for you to "swoop" in for the grab and after that it's a character that is close to death or dead. X Factor LVL3 Thor might be scarier than Sentinel.

LOL apparently some one DID find it and put it on the internet: Thor tri-dash sliding into throw

Thor is also really sick in the corners and can really mess with the opponents and do crazy damage on resets. And this is Day 1 Thor technology.

Thor can also use the DHC trick.

Everything that Thor does is slow as shit, he's definitely for more advanced users.

LordAlu

robut said:
Played for like 5 hours straight with a buddy locally tonight. God it feels so much better than online. Discovered how awesome Hulk can be and want him on my teams now.
Hulk is truly awesome when you get some good practice in. Plus his Gamma Crush super is a godsend against flying characters. I find he works especially well if you have a beam assist too.

Dahbomb

If he was faster then he would be broken and people would be complaining about XFC3 Thor over XFC3 Sentinel.

His damage is on par with Sentinel and has almost as much life. Thor's grabs can take off huge damage from any range and if you tech him you get into a reset situation into another throw combo. In corners Thor might be the most dangerous character in the game.

This is a heavy grappler character with OTG capabilities and air dash (only the diagonal down is good for moving in and it does a respectable job at that). He is as fast as he should be.

Yeah you have to be good with him to cover up his weaknesses. You have to kara grab his command throws to get good range (otherwise his command grab has crap range) out of them and you have to be doing triangle dashes/wave dashes to move around with him effectively. Even his basic air series has tricky timing due to his low speed on normals. He isn't easy mode that's for sure.

LakeEarth

corrosivefrost said:
LOL. I can't even manage to get Thor to start his advanced trash talking move. :)
Can you call an assist while doing that? I'm just imagining putting jam session or something similar in the way to keep it going.

I think this weekend I'm going to try to make a new, faster team and really practice it. My Spencer/Dorm/Haggar team is getting mauled by the 1st/2nd Lords. None of them have those superfast pokes, so I'm getting stuffed constantly.

I should think you can call an assist during the mighty harangue. But since I can't get it to execute (SRK doesn't even have it listed... I thought the original video that demo'ed it said it was down down S... ), I couldn't tell you. :)

Dahbomb

Anyone know if Dormammu's Floating Bomb activates the DHC glitch? I know Trish's Round Harvest does and Dormammu's Floating Bomb hyper is very similar to Trish's.

I am messing around with Thor/Dormammu combination. Thor DHCs into Floating Bombs really easily and you can paint Dormammu's hands during the process. Both are on Beta assists. If I can glitch Thor's Mighty Punish into Floating Bomb that could be epic.

corrosivefrost said:
I should think you can call an assist during the mighty harangue. But since I can't get it to execute (SRK doesn't even have it listed... I thought the original video that demo'ed it said it was down down S... ), I couldn't tell you. :)

down,down,L should execute the taunt

Grecco

LeMaximilian said:
Oh wow, the show made it to eventhubs. Guess folks are digging it. Going to try to get some higher level players in the mix, maybe I can convince some of the dudes at WNF for some online games.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/mar/17/maximilians-online-warrior-episode-1-2/#comments

I watched them both today. They were really good!

Alucrid said:
I still don't have a team. Taskmaster is a yes since he's the only character I'm somewhat good with. Ammy possibly if I can master her weapon change combos...I'll have to figure them out first though. Last one is still unknown. I'm not that great with Wesker, I was thinking Jill but I have a tough time getting in with her. Sent is always a backup but I really don't want to use him and I suck with Doom and am not going to use him solely for his assists. Jeeze....

Task-Amy-Sentinel There. It works. Another idea is Task-Amy-Storm (Which is what i started with before adding Sentinel)

Dahbomb

I wonder if the patch will have any "balance" changes.

Aside from a few glitches (Zero glitch) and easy mode infinites, I am not comfortable with any actual balance changes yet.

rivals

Prototype-03 said:
Dorm. That's my old team... works really well. Would've kept that team if I didn't like Jill so much.

I was thinking about giving him a shot, thanks! I think I'll mess around with his combos tonight. Depending on how that goes I might try Tron as well if I don't like/can't get the hang of Dormammu. He seems like a lot of fun to play.

LeMaximilian said:
Hey guys, first episode of my new MVC3 video series is finally up! Excuse some of the dry commentary, I'm still working it out.

Marvel Vs Capcom 3 : The Online Warrior Episode 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc04rAchAQ0

Oh and I watched both of the eps that were up yesterday, they were great. I'll definitely be keeping up with it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Grecco said:
My guess its more shadow battle?
Or 'events'.

Its too early to make balance changes, but bug fixing would be nice. (And some changes to the Online modes UI )

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
This thread really died in the community section...fuck ;(

You must be new here. Community is the gaming ghetto. Where all popular threads too big for the news er-"gaming" section go to die.

Also: New patch? Better be spectator or replays. *Corgi "let's ride a bicycle hype train made of dreams spectator and replay modes for online into friendship dismal disappointing, goddamn it capcom, and wishing I never bought the game".jpg*

TheSeks said:
You must be new here. Community is the gaming ghetto. Where all popular threads too big for the news er-"gaming" section go to die.

Also: New patch? Better be spectator or replays. *Corgi "let's ride a bicycle hype train made of dreams spectator and replay modes for online into friendship dismal disappointing, goddamn it capcom, and wishing I never bought the game".jpg*

I know what community is for, but it's really sad, at least SSFIV got 2 full OTs before moving here.

Alucrid

Banned
TheSeks said:

I don't think I've ever seen that jpeg.

I was finally able to string together 5 ranked wins in a row for the stupid trophy. To hell with ranked forever! Does the other trophy where you have to fight a 1st Lord have to be done in a ranked match as well?

Dahbomb

Nah man, this thread will rear its beautiful head back in the Gaming Section again when Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3: Hype Edition will be close to release.

And it's not going to be Spectator mode, I honestly expect it to be a paid DLC and not a free patch. This is Capcom guys.

TheSeks

Alucrid said:
I don't think I've ever seen that jpeg.

Here, you're welcome.

HOWCOULDILOSE!?IHAVEABIONICARM! said:
I know what community is for, but it's really sad, at least SSFIV got 2 full OTs before moving here.

Well, you have to remember: Capcom's given Marvel 3 to us bare-bones. I would play the game a lot more if there was a point to joining PS3 GAF's chat room and watching matches/talking like SSF4 and then watching replays like... you know... SSF4's replay channel. But that isn't there so it's killed a lot of the hype.

The game's popular if going by Team Spooky steams (got like 15K on Final Round? That Combofiend Spencer was amazing to see live), but it's not got the longevity outside of the hardcore fighters unless Capcom revamps the horrible online mode.

Giving us "Shadow Battle"/events isn't enough and in fact just further amplifies the problem that the game was rushed.

Log Ride said:
Does the other trophy where you have to fight a 1st Lord have to be done in a ranked match as well?

Yes, but you don't have to win. Just set custom match to "any rank" and you should get it within 1-5 matches like I did.

Dahbomb

I don't think that's why it was moved down to Community status. If online feature set was an indicator of whether a game stays in gaming section or not then half of the games in the Community would still be in the gaming section (Starcraft 2, Halo Reach, HON etc.).

Nevertheless, now is the time to fix some of the pressing issues in MVC3. They just released the 2 DLC characters so they have time to fix the online feature set and other oddball UI stuff. Once they get that done, then they can add the next 2 characters (most likely Frank West and Dr Octopus according to the guys who hacked Jill/Shuma off of the disc).

The community for MVC3 is still going strong and tournaments like the Final Round is an indicator that MVC3 is here to stay for a long time but Capcom needs to put some man hours in as well.

I appreciate that Capcom didn't delay the DLC characters because of the whole earthquake/tsunami incident and they appear to be on track with more content but I really hope Capcom starts taking the online portion of the game as seriously as they have taken the core fighting game aspect of it.

vg260

the_log_ride said:
I was finally able to string together 5 ranked wins in a row for the stupid trophy. To hell with ranked forever! Does the other trophy where you have to fight a 1st Lord have to be done in a ranked match as well?

Yes.

TheSeks

Dahbomb said:
I don't think that's why it was moved down to Community status.

I wasn't talking about the online feature set being the move toward community. "Community" moved threads are mostly: a) talk about the multiplayer b) multiplayer focused (fighting games go here).

The community for MVC3 is still going strong and tournaments like the Final Round is an indicator that MVC3 is here to stay for a long time but Capcom needs to put some man hours in as well.

Well, for casual fighting game players like me, having no replay/spectator is killer. Esp. since... I, myself, prefer to watch matches more than playing matches. Replay channel in SSF4 was a godsend for someone like me that just wanted to boot the game up and watch people go at it.

Not having either really kills the fun for casuals like me. The hardcore that don't give a fuck about the social aspects are probably going to stick around, but unless Capcom revamps the online and makes it social like SSF4/GAFchats, it's going to die quick.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Dahbomb said:
Anyone know if Dormammu's Floating Bomb activates the DHC glitch? I know Trish's Round Harvest does and Dormammu's Floating Bomb hyper is very similar to Trish's.

I am messing around with Thor/Dormammu combination. Thor DHCs into Floating Bombs really easily and you can paint Dormammu's hands during the process. Both are on Beta assists. If I can glitch Thor's Mighty Punish into Floating Bomb that could be epic.

This was my thinking earlier, but I guess not.

Dahbomb

I do agree with that, Capcom has some work to do for sure. They need to AT LEAST match the feature set in SSF4 and go one step further with Marvel.

By the way guys, what's your top 10 assists in the game (out of the 114 in the game)?

My Top 10 Assists for MVC3 (no order):

1) Doom's Hidden Missiles
2) Tron's Gustaff Flame
3) Haggar's Lariat
4) Sentinel's Drones
5) Dante's Jam Session
6) Amaterasu's Cold Star
7) Wesker's Low Shot
8) Hsien Ko's Gold Armor Pendulum swing
9) Akuma's Tatsumaki Lightning kicks
10) Shuma's Mystic Ray

Honorable mentions to Iron Man's Beam, Chun Li's Kicks, Doom's Rocks and Trish's Traps.

In no particular order, but these assists are so good, I pick them even though I am complete ass at playing the actual character on point:

01) Doom Cuban Missile Crisis
02) Sent Drones
03) Tron Flame
04) Lariat
05) Dante Jam Session
06) Akuma Tatsu
07) Gold Armor Arthur Flame Bottle
08) Gold Armor Hsien Ko blade swing thing
09) Chun Lightning Legs
10) Shulk low attack

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
TheSeks said:
Just set custom match to "any rank" and you should get it within 1-5 matches like I did.
I went through ~100 ranked matches yesterday and never found any.

I'm assuming everyone retires once they reach 1st Rank and I'm going to have to make it there myself. >_>

Dahbomb

Oh man Gold Arthur's bottle is really sick too. Too bad he is better played on point backed up by 2 really good assists to be effective.

I think I finally found a team that not only fits together in a logical way in theory and practically, but also fits my playstyle in a unique dynamic.

Arthur(Fire Bottle)/MODOK(Balloon Bomb)/Thor(Mighty Strike)

Lots of juice in this team, good synergy and I'm already having more fun in training mode than I was before. Dropping everything I thought I wanted, my favorite characters etc, and choosing a team objectively based on my playstyle is really making my life easier.

Now all that's left is to work on my game, run some tests and do final tweaks to make sure everything works like it seems to.

Also, someone at EVO is going to run a train with Morrigan on point with Mystic Ray assist. Mark my words. Actually, scratch that. My back up team is going to be Morrigan/Amaterasu/Shuma Gorath, team Sexual Deviance.

the_log_ride said:
In no particular order, but these assists are so good, I pick them even though I am complete ass at playing the actual character on point:

01) Doom Cuban Missile Crisis
02) Sent Drones
03) Tron Flame
04) Lariat
05) Dante Jam Session
06) Akuma Tatsu
07) Gold Armor Arthur Flame Bottle
08) Gold Armor Hsien Ko blade swing thing
09) Chun Lightning Legs
10) Shulk low attack

I think Drones rule all! heh.

I think I finally found a team that not only fits together in a logical way in theory and practically, but also fits my playstyle in a unique dynamic.

Arthur(Fire Bottle)/MODOK(Balloon Bomb)/Thor(Mighty Strike)

Lots of juice in this team, good synergy and I'm already having more fun in training mode than I was before. Dropping everything I thought I wanted, my favorite characters etc, and choosing a team objectively based on my playstyle is really making my life easier.

Now all that's left is to work on my game, run some tests and do final tweaks to make sure everything works like it seems to.

Also, someone at EVO is going to run a train with Morrigan on point with Mystic Ray assist. Mark my words. Actually, scratch that. My back up team is going to be Morrigan/Amaterasu/Shuma Gorath, team Sexual Deviance.
I used Arthur/MODOK/Haggar for a while (to get the 30 games title with each), and after 5 matches I found Arthur really needed the Psionic Blaster assist to keep his pressure game up, Balloon Bomb just wasn't doing it.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
lmfao i cant believe my friend slompo made it on marvelous adventures. that episode was really funny. poor gootecks.

Ok, Thor is amazing. I think I like him as much as Trish. I think I can even build a C.Viper team with him, but I don't know if it's worth it.

dralla said:
MR is too slow to hit OTG. it's also easily punishable. it's not a great assist
Plus it does no damage and lasts for no time. It basically has one utility, and that's interrupting people trying to chase you down while you're airborne.

That's why it's a really good assist for Morrigan in Dark Force mode or Phoenix in general, but it's very specific on what situations you should use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom