• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus it does no damage and lasts for no time. It basically has one utility, and that's interrupting people trying to chase you down while you're airborne.

That's why it's a really good assist for Morrigan in Dark Force mode or Phoenix in general, but it's very specific on what situations you should use it.
The fact that it does no damage is what I like about it. I use it for cross-ups with Dormammu's teleport, and since it only hits a few times, it doesn't cause a lot of damage decay. If I use Dr. Doom's Plasma Beam, my combo only hits for ~450K. If I use Mystic Ray, I hit for well over 500K.

And woah @ that MODOK video.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Karsticles said:
The fact that it does no damage is what I like about it. I use it for cross-ups with Dormammu's teleport, and since it only hits a few times, it doesn't cause a lot of damage decay. If I use Dr. Doom's Plasma Beam, my combo only hits for ~450K. If I use Mystic Ray, I hit for well over 500K.

/clap

Let's not forget how stupidly fast and wide it's hit area covers.

*I personally like it for countering sents assist it eats all 3 drones quick*

also it's good to finally see someone besides one of my friends knowing wtf they are doing with modok, he's honestly one of the better characters in the game.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Any tips on playing she Hulk? I hate her running input... two down s + direction fucks me each time! Why oh why isn't this quarter circle forward or backward s. Seems like I will never get used to it :(

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Dahbomb said:
Some more from that guy.

Man he built up so many Lvls of Understanding that he could've done a Hyper Laser beam super and would've done as much damage as a LVL3 hyper.

Yeah I think lvl 9 hyper psionic blaster does like 500k without xfactor. It's pretty gross. Probably one of the best hypers to punish assists with if you can level it up that far.

Dahbomb

Man Iron Man is so fucking weird in this game, he's like Dr. Doom where he is confused whether he is a rushdown or a zoning character.

*Shit range on launcher and some of his other normals
*Ridiculously good laser beam
*Easy to drop BnB combos with him, his hitboxes on his normals are so messed up compared to other characters
*Cancels really late from his dash into normals and his wave dash isn't as fast as other rushdown characters. This really limits his offensive game as compared to someone like Magneto.
*Beastly tri-jumps and j.H/overheads

It's no wonder I don't see many Iron Mans, it's like people are trying to play him a certain way but are failing. He could easily have been in the top tier with his moveset (like Magneto good). He might still be but something is really messed up about him or maybe people haven't figured out how to play effectively with him yet.

What are people's thoughts on Iron Man?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So i donated some money through the PSN Store and almost bought Shuma.
Dammit its so tempting.

Ferrio

Banned
DarkoMaledictus said:
Any tips on playing she Hulk? I hate her running input... two down s + direction fucks me each time! Why oh why isn't this quarter circle forward or backward s. Seems like I will never get used to it :(

Buffer it while falling if you're trying to use it for her OTG. It becomes second nature after awhile... but still is a pain especially only.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Dahbomb said:
Man Iron Man is so fucking weird in this game, he's like Dr. Doom where he is confused whether he is a rushdown or a zoning character.

*Shit range on launcher and some of his other normals
*Ridiculously good laser beam
*Easy to drop BnB combos with him, his hitboxes on his normals are so messed up compared to other characters
*Cancels really late from his dash into normals and his wave dash isn't as fast as other rushdown characters. This really limits his offensive game as compared to someone like Magneto.
*Beastly tri-jumps and j.H/overheads

It's no wonder I don't see many Iron Mans, it's like people are trying to play him a certain way but are failing. He could easily have been in the top tier with his moveset (like Magneto good). He might still be but something is really messed up about him or maybe people haven't figured out how to play effectively with him yet.

What are people's thoughts on Iron Man?

Yeah it's a shame that they goofed on some of his basic shit that would have made him godlike like his launcher and stuff. I used him for a while but the fact that his launcher is shit and his B&Bs do minimal damage, and to get anything over 400k (sans super) is near impossible in a real match (fly,unfly, up/down + hard w/ in double jump combos) made me kick him off the team. It really sucks though because id rather use him than sentinel but he just doesnt cut it really.

This is actually what boggles my mind with this game almost more than anything else. You have characters like sentinel, taskmaster, akuma, wolverine etc who do a retarded amount of damage through pretty simple combos, yet characters like iron man have to work their ass off to get anything above 400k w/o a super. Its like, why? Why not give everyone a solid, fairly easy combo. I dunno.. Get what im saying though?

Ferrio

Banned

She's fucking terrible. She does have her gold assist which indeed kicks all ass, and I would say takes her out of being crap... but it takes too much to setup

1. She's semi useless until you get her gold armor off, so she's wasted till that point
2. Getting the armor off you either have to hope your opponent is stupid, or waste a good dhc. You could take advantage of the glitch now I suppose... but that's still 3 bars you'd need to use and have a special team makeup.
3. You're restricted on your DHCs during combat due to not wanting to bring her out
4. To get the most outta it she'll be you anchor, which she isn't bad but not the best
5. All it takes is one snapback and you gotta do it all over again.

It just requires too much sacrifice to get her into a state where she's good, and someone can instantly nullify it if they get a hit in. She may not be in the worst 3, but she's damn close. The assist gimmick is the only thing she has going for her, and it's just not worth it.

Dahbomb

QisTopTier said:
Ryu/Haggar/Hulk
If that's bottom 3 then that's not bad at all. All 3 characters in a well constructed team can dish out a ton of damage and punish characters as well as do solid meterless damage on point. Haggar's assist is also really good so we are going to see him regardless of him being bad on point. And Hulk is a mini-Sentinel (so is Haggar I guess).

Ryu is Ryu. No real reason to use him over Akuma unless you want two Tatsu kicks in a team.

This is actually what boggles my mind with this game almost more than anything else. You have characters like sentinel, taskmaster, akuma, wolverine etc who do a retarded amount of damage through pretty simple combos, yet characters like iron man have to work their ass off to get anything above 400k w/o a super. Its like, why? Why not give everyone a solid, fairly easy combo. I dunno.. Get what im saying though?
Not including Sentinel because he is Sentinel but Iron Man doesn't do as much damage as those characters because he has flight mode which is what he needs to do higher damaging combos. This is the BnB combo which is going to put Iron Man on the map, if people start using this more often. It builds a meter and does very respectable damage. Iron Man also has tri-dashing over those other characters. Where Iron Man loses is to Magneto, who is basically Iron Man but faster and more powerful meterless combos.

And Hsien-Ko is decent on point too. She has an unblockable on characters just coming in... plus a loop/semi-infinite. It's hard to zone against her and her hypers can easily combo into each other. She can also swing over a lot of bull shit in the game. I don't play Hsien-Ko so I don't know, but I have used just as a godly assist and she does her job very nicely.

shaowebb

QisTopTier said:
Ryu/Haggar/Hulk

LOL! No way are those three the worst.

Hulk has a lot of invincibility on moves, Insane command grabs and does beast damage. Not to mention the god tier x factor and gamma crush.

Ryu can punish like a boss with his lvl 1 beam and he can aim it from either air or ground to destroy folks. Plus his health and fast hits that take priority so often push him ahead in matchups for combo setups and survivability. Not to mention his mule kick that wall bounces into soooo many types of things with or without asissts. Also regular hadokens are great with him and go through a lot. You can choose to build meter first for him or run him on point. Either way he's good.

And Haggar? You can't be serious. Pipe is deadly and sets for ENORMOUSLY damaging combos and destroys most things that come at it. He can lariat and cancel projectile damage, he's an incredible assist, he OWNS the air, and he has more grab setups than anyone I can think of in this game and from both ground, air or crouch. Not to mention he's the mayor of Earth.

There is not bad character in MVC3 people. All of them are insanely deadly. Even Phoenix is so goddamned deadly offensively that her poor health is meaningless...and thats BEFORE Dark Phoenix!

There are tricky characters to learn in this game, but once you put together your technology on any of these characters they destroy. From Spencer, to Hsien Ko to your choices of Haggar, Ryu, and Hulk...all characters are deadly even if they trip you up on how to play them for awhile.

My blacksheep right now is Thor, but I know how awesome he can be so I got to put in some training time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ferrio said:
She's fucking terrible. She does have her gold assist which indeed kicks all ass, and I would say takes her out of being crap... but it takes too much to setup

1. She's semi useless until you get her gold armor off, so she's wasted till that point
2. Getting the armor off you either have to hope your opponent is stupid, or waste a good dhc. You could take advantage of the glitch now I suppose... but that's still 3 bars you'd need to use and have a special team makeup.
3. You're restricted on your DHCs during combat due to not wanting to bring her out
4. To get the most outta it she'll be you anchor, which she isn't bad but not the best
5. All it takes is one snapback and you gotta do it all over again.

It just requires too much sacrifice to get her into a state where she's good, and someone can instantly nullify it if they get a hit in. She may not be in the worst 3, but she's damn close. The assist gimmick is the only thing she has going for her, and it's just not worth it.

I've lost to good hsien-ko's that know their shit. So once again, no.

shaowebb said:
LOL! No way are those three the worst.

Yes, worst doesn't mean unplayable.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
lmao ryu is not bottom 3. hes a good character, he just isn't as flashy as the others imo.

id have to agree hat haggar and hsien-ko are pretty bad though (right now). outside of thier godlike assist usage they are shit as characters vs like 80% of the cast.

JeTmAn81

QisTopTier said:
Ryu/Haggar/Hulk

D: Substitute Dante for Ryu and you've got my team. I really like Hulk, though, and Haggar's lariat assist really comes in handy, though if I ever have to bring him in on point I don't really know what to do.

Ferrio

Banned
haunts said:
lmao ryu is not bottom 3. hes a good character, he just isn't as flashy as the others imo.

id have to agree hat haggar and hsien-ko are pretty bad though (right now). outside of thier godlike assist usage they are shit as characters vs like 80% of the cast.

Thing is her assist is godlike and I loved using it. But then I have Tron's assist which... fuck is pretty damn godlike too. No it doesn't berserk through people, but it's pretty damn beastly and doesn't require a ton of a gotchas. And when Tron is on point I'm not as fucked as hsein. Hsein's mobility, her lack of mixups, and really really low damage output really sucks.

shaowebb

QisTopTier said:
If you are using ryu over akuma, you are fucking up.

I thought so too but then I saw the damage Ryu does on chip and the versatility of his beams. I thought Ryu's tatsu would choke in comparison to Akuma's but it's just as versatile for assist setups. The health he has over Akuma is the final straw that made me switch out. Different combos, same basic premise, more health and chip= NOT worse than Akuma.

Each have their strengths. With Akuma it's a less forgiving scenario for the player though if they get in trouble. That's why I switched.

Also I never claimed you said unplayable I just had to point out that those aren't the worst even if they're your worst. Far too many top teams prove this.

Who is everyone's blacksheep right now?
You know...your worst character that you cannot put it together with yet.

Mine's Thor.

It'd be interesting to find out who gives us the most troubles.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
shaowebb said:
Also I never claimed you said unplayable I just had to point out that those aren't the worst even if they're your worst. Far too many top teams prove this.
But I can play all three of those characters fine they are far from my "worst" characters

Ferrio the main problem with Hsien-Ko is that she doesn't fit your play style AT ALL which was the main issue x.x

haunts said:
I use Akuma and think he is much better than Ryu, but Ryu is still a solid character.

I agree ryu is solid, but... what's the point akuma pretty much makes him pointless x.x

Dahbomb

Ryu has some nice damaging combos I have been working on, that's basically just ground combo -> Mule Kick -> l. M, L.H, S -> air combo -> Tatsu kicks. Does respectable meterless damage.

I like to use Hulk as well. Ryu and Hulk I use as my "STFU these character's aren't crap" pair and I do very well with them actually. It's basically a team made for punishing mistakes, if they just sit there and play defensively they will easily win over this team.

My blacksheep? As funny as it sounds it's Dante. I can play reasonably well with a lot of characters but the character that I have wanted to be beastly with from day 1 was Dante and I can't get him down. Sure, I can do a lot of the BnB stuff but I can't do the fancy shit and I WANNA DO THE FANCY SHIT!!! :(

I always cancel into one of his many gun spamming moves because I end up pressing a button one too many times during his combos.

Ferrio

Banned
haunts said:
I use Akuma and think he is much better than Ryu, but Ryu is still a solid character.

Ya both him and Ironman are in that weird position that they aren't bad, but that there's other characters that do what they do so much better it makes them look bad.

QisTopTier said:
Anyways time to figure out some combos for Shuma vs Tron... WHY DOES SHE BUG OUT ON HIM LOL

Good that jackass has a weird hitbox. I've never seen my shehulk miss her super after the OTG except on him.

shaowebb

QisTopTier said:
I agree ryu is solid, but... what's the point akuma pretty much makes him pointless x.x

Not at all. Ryu is there for guys like me who prefer better chip and health. He has a better beam and in no way is he made pointless by Akuma. I really don't feel that there is a pointless character in the whole game. It's sad that you feel that way.

Who is your worst right now btw?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
shaowebb said:
Not at all. Ryu is there for guys like me who prefer better chip and health. He has a better beam and in no way is he made pointless by Akuma. I really don't feel that there is a pointless character in the whole game. It's sad that you feel that way.

Who is your worst right now btw?

Health... doesn't really matter in this game as much as you think it does...

My worst character that I actually use? Doctor doom right now.

Ferrio

Banned
shaowebb said:

I wouldn't say his beam is better. It's it overall slower? How does it do more chip than Akuma's? Also saying "I like this character better because I throw out stuff to be blocked and punished" isn't a good point for the char.

shaowebb

Ryu is my anti-sentinel. Lots of priority, health for insurance in case I drop a combo and eat some pain, and his beam is something I can do and aim straight up to either smear Sentinel jump ins or at least severely chip and push them out enough to DHC into Spencer's command grab hyper. Also that beam that I keep touting as better than Akuma's is awesome to chase and airthrow with. I airthrow sent's a lot and the second the animation ends on the throw I'm into the lvl beam which always connects on the way down. It sets up a lot more stuff to out of that.

QisTopTier said:
Health... doesn't really matter in this game as much as you think it does...
It does if you ever drop a single combo with any character who only has 800,000 health. That extra 200,000 is insurance in case I drop out of a combo on a heavy hitter like She-Hulk or Sentinel.

QisTopTier said:
My worst character that I actually use? Doctor doom right now.

How the...? Okay we need to all help here because Doom is boss. How are you trying to use him and what is it that's giving you the most trouble?

Dahbomb

Ryu's beam starts off slower than Akuma's but recovers a bit faster I believe (both by a few frames). In practical application the difference isn't that much, you will still be able to punish with either supers in most conditions. It's only an issue if they face off against each other and do the hyper at the exact same frame.

Ryu's can be targetted in 8 directions in the air, Akuma's can only be directed in one direction which is the key difference. Makes a Ryu a better DHC option for DHCing into a hyper that ends in the air (cuz Akuma can't aim his beam upwards) or just for general anti-air/anti-flight mode tactics.

You can also easily combo after Ryu's LVL3 Hyper if you ever manage to land one of those. This will do some SICK damage.

For me the issue with Ryu isn't damage, it's mobility and "opening up" the opponent. I feel like I am forced to play zoning with Ryu and wait for a mistake rather than try to break their defenses.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sixfortyfive said:
I went through ~100 ranked matches yesterday and never found any.

I'm assuming everyone retires once they reach 1st Rank and I'm going to have to make it there myself. >_>

Weird. It doesn't even need to be 1st rank. Just in the ballpark of that. IIRC, I fought an 4-5th lord for mine?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
shaowebb said:
How the...? Okay we need to all help here because Doom is boss. How are you trying to use him and what is it that's giving you the most trouble?
I know how to use him, you just asked for my worst.

TheSeks said:
Weird. It doesn't even need to be 1st rank. Just in the ballpark of that. IIRC, I fought an 4-5th lord for mine?
1st rank or higher.
Unless it counts if you fight people who hit 1st rank and ranked down.
I fought a 2nd lord and it didn't pop. Luckily, I was put up against a high lord soon afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom