• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Sloth

Banned
I'm seeing a lot of people who think that because you disagree with this patch you = Sentinel srcubz0rs crying.(Not necessarily on here mind you, but the net in general.)

This just isn't the case. I legitimately think the fool wasn't a very big deal. My biggest problem with the patch is this though:
Sixfortyfive said:
To be honest, I don't really have strong feelings about this specific nerf one way or another since, overrated or not, I've felt that Sentinel was a poorly designed character from day 1. I think it's a bad sign of things to come if they're willing to mess around with game balance this early, though.

I mean as someone who mains Dorm I'm glad for the buffs, but I don't think Sent needed a nerf. I agree with people that it's X Factor that needs to be beaten with the nerf stick.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
gundamkyoukai said:
So you want them to make her useless .
Allot of the problems with this game is with x factor not the chars them self.
When people play Phoneix it changes there whole game you don't do super combos like everyone else.
Having to save 5 super and not do super combos , DF should be little crazy.

If anything, the changes I listed wouldn't be enough. She would still be crazy. And even if she wasn't any good, she would still be one of the stupidest fighting game characters ever.

I agree that the real problem is x-factor though.

kirblar said:
I have the feeling Justin's more upset about losing his automatic % edge in Sentinel matchups (since his teams are normally designed to pulverize him) than any actual concerns about game balance.

:lol

Whatever. She-hulk is pretty cheap. Even better than Sent because no one on the internet is whining about the character, so she's patch proof.

Ferrio

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
:lol

Whatever. She-hulk is pretty cheap. Even better than Sent because no one on the internet is whining about the character, so she's patch proof.

Naw she hulk is fine, she hulk + appropriate assists... that's pretty cheap.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ferrio said:
Naw she hulk is fine, she hulk + appropriate assists... that's pretty cheap.
307qbfo.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
eh... I'm late... how did they nerf Sentinel?

shaowebb

Kaijima said:
IMHO to tighten him up and make him less of a crutch. Look, even good players laugh at Sentinel and CALL HIM a crutch, and they're not even entirely joking. He promoted a lazy-daisy play style.

Also to keep Sent from dragging stuff out; even after you know how to counter him, he is annoying to take out due to health, and statistics may have favored the Sent player surviving anyway only to get the other guy in the end with a single combo.

The funny part about this is in a way it is the reverse of initial concerns over Phoenix. People immediately argued that she'd be a useless gimmick due to low health and her great aspects wouldn't make up for it. Instead, people have ended up using Phoenix a lot, and good players are starting to recommend actually using her as a point once you're good enough to not get hit a lot. It's just that we've tested Phoenix in the field and know this already.

The Sent situation makes me imagine what it'd be like if say, normal form Phoenix had great health and was suddenly cut to her low health; would people freak out, arguing that she was doomed since now she was too frail and weak? When in reality, it compensates for her scary abilities. (FYI, if Dark Phoenix didn't exist but normal Phoenix still worked as she does now, I suspect she would still have lower health than almost anybody else.)

Wow. That was a really good post.

I actually love your analogy on the Phoenix thing. It is promoting a lot more careful play and strategy with sentinel to keep the damage and nerf the health.

Still...I just feel that balancing this character could have been better performed by nerfing his X-factor. It wasn't so much of a comeback factor with Sentinel (as its meant to be for the cast in general) as an insurance policy that guaranteed kills.

It just seems unbalanced to take the character with the biggest hitbox and the fewest mixups who is the easiest to crossup or chip and make them so susceptible to damage.

Phoenix has a lot of great offensive options to justify her health. She's a tiger with teeth no matter what situation your in. However Sentinel is very limited in his approach style because so much of his stuff is punishable on block and against mixups.
It is forcing more careful play from Sentinel making him more balanced...but it may have gone too far with him and unbalanced him in the opposite direction by making him TOO punishable.

I just feel a better balance on Sentinel would be found in shaving his X-factor bonus and possibly a slight shaving of his normal damage. Nothing huge but 10k here and there equals a much better match.

Maybe time will prove me wrong, but this nerf worries me because it doesn't appear to have been done very carefully. It seems to have been done as a fast and lazy fix to help even out Sentinel on teams so that he was more of a team player and less of a one man show.

Justin wong seems to agree to an extent. Thing is X-factor was put in just to create comeback factor so it cannot be removed because it generates a lot of memorable stuff. It very well could use shaved though. Some heal while others dont, some get damage increase others dont, or just generally keep it the same as it is universally but to a much lesser degree on the speed/damage bonus. Stuff like that.

Like I said earlier...all I can do is wait and see how this effects the game.

Truth is even if they nerf Phoneix i will still play her so it don't matter much to me.
I don't ever think this game going to be balanced the way how people want it to be , it's just to crazy and x factor made sure of that .

Ashkeloth

I've got to say, I'm pretty impressed with Capcom's speed in patching Sentinel down.

A few weeks ago, I was ready to shelve this game for good, but having returned to it tonight after hearing the news, I've got to say, it's shocking how few Sentinels I've ran into.

It just proves how fickle the people who were using him were, considering these nerfs are far from altering the characters overall playstyle. It just makes it so his health is relative to his overall damage dealing/projectile ability.

It's also kind of depressing that the ones that were using him are obviously people dedicated enough to read Shoryuken often enough that they knew this quickly. You'd think if they cared that much, they'd realise abusing overpowered characters just wrecks a game for most people that aren't hardcore fans.

I still get wrecked by random guys who I swear must be robots, though, and I'm not even bad.

Now they just need to patch out X-Factor and projectile spam and I might really like this game.

Yoshichan said:
eh... I'm late... how did they nerf Sentinel?

Sentinel nerf is already out. It was in the latest patch. He's down to 900+something thousand health instead of 1,400,000 or whatever insane number he had before

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ashkeloth said:
Sentinel nerf is already out. It was in the latest patch. He's down to 900+something thousand health instead of 1,400,000 or whatever insane number he had before
Pathetic. This will stop nothing.

Ashkeloth said:
A few weeks ago, I was ready to shelve this game for good, but having returned to it tonight after hearing the news, I've got to say, it's shocking how few Sentinels I've ran into.

It just proves how fickle the people who were using him were, considering these nerfs are far from altering the characters overall playstyle. It just makes it so his health is relative to his overall damage dealing/projectile ability.

That and people think it's the characters that you play that makes you good. I am not kidding that some players out there will change characters after every match in player matches until they get lucky and beat me once. Then they think they have found the ultimate counter to my team and will stick to them.

El Sloth

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
So who's next after sentinel?
I got 800 Allards on Phoenix/Dark Phoenix.

Grecco said:
Removing XFactor entirely would remove a good chunk of the actual fun of the game. (The comeback factor)
I wouldn't want the removal of X factor just a nerf on the speed/damage boosts. One of my favorite parts of this game is the cancelling aspect of X Factor. XFCing while in block stun to punish a hyper with an invincible hyper of your own, XFCing to extend combos, XFCing to make unsafe stuff safe, etc etc.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ashkeloth said:
Now they just need to patch out X-Factor and projectile spam and I might really like this game.
lol, jesus.

I think I need a break from the Internet for the evening.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
El Sloth said:
I wouldn't want the removal of X factor just a nerf on the speed/damage boosts. One of fy favorite parts of this game is cancelling aspect of X Factor. XFCing while in block stun to punish a hyper with an invincible hyper of your own, XFCing to extend combos, XFCing to make unsafe stuff safe, etc etc.
Yeah, all of that is good stuff. The stupid speed/damage buffs are not.

Azure J

Seems like I missed a fun bit of new Marvel stuff with my time away playing Pokemon. The Sent nerf stuff is fun to me because it means that we're going to see a whole lot of interesting shakeups in the community. I do agree though that Sent's nerf should have taken him to the realm of 950K - 1 mil with the real nerfs being to his X-Factor bonuses or his armored moves. Also Haunts' DP balance idea is too cool not to use.

Whatever happens though, this will be fun to watch unveil.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ashkeloth said:
Now they just need to patch out projectile spam and I might really like this game.

:lol x 200million of it here.

I seriously hope you're kidding, for your sake.

Ashkeloth

Yoshichan said:
Pathetic. This will stop nothing.

Yeah. It's not that great, but as far as fixing the game goes, this is probably the best we could hope for this quickly.

Being able to take Sentinel out in one solid combo or two decent ones pretty good, especially considering most people who were playing Sentinel don't know about most of the ways other characters can get around his stupid stuff.

Sixfortyfive said:
lol, jesus.

I think I need a break from the Internet for the evening.

Pure sarcasm on the projectile spam. It's easy enough to get around given the right tools. I just play a melee rushdown heavy team and it pisses me off.

X-Factor, though, needs to be toned down to something akin to a rapid cancel in Blazblue. Just have it cancel all remaining frames in a move and perhaps allow it once per character or once per set time period. No bullshit speed and power bonuses.

Hitokage said:
Yeah, all of that is good stuff. The stupid speed/damage buffs are not.

Yep i really wondering what Capcom was thinking with x factor level 2 and 3.
Making chars so fast they kill you with 1 move over and over , the huge damage buff.

shaowebb

X-factor is pretty fun and it gives you a second chance if you blow it early on to still make a good showing, but for some of the cast it gets pretty ridiculous.

This tool is what needed balancing the most in the game, and not the health in my opinion. Keep it, but for God's sake study what people turn into with this on and look at how unbalanced they become.

Some of the speed/damage bonuses make up for short comings certain characters normally have so that they become a real threat during xfactor, but other characters go from good to monstrous in a manner that completely defies anyone to pick teams that don't have at least one or two of them on deck for X-factor destruction.

This is the major unbalancer to cast and teams in the game. Level out the bonuses appropriately and it'll work far better than shaving health stats lazily.

Seriously capcom...how many characters have a rushdown game in this title? Sentinel can't handle rushdown at all and you think this was the best answer?

Ashkeloth said:
I've got to say, I'm pretty impressed with Capcom's speed in patching Sentinel down.

It's also kind of depressing that the ones that were using him are obviously people dedicated enough to read Shoryuken often enough that they knew this quickly. You'd think if they cared that much, they'd realise abusing overpowered characters just wrecks a game for most people that aren't hardcore fans.

I still get wrecked by random guys who I swear must be robots, though, and I'm not even bad.

It was sorely needed. I watched the Justin Wong vs RyRy fight at Final Round a couple of weeks ago. That fucking robot took 5 Okami Shuffles without being in Xfactor and still kept ticking.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
palpabl_purpura said:
It was sorely needed. I watched the Justin Wong vs RyRy fight at Final Round a couple of weeks ago. That fucking robot took 5 Okami Shuffles without being in Xfactor and still kept ticking.
Comboed or separately? Damage scaling is a bitch doing that many hypers.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So seriously getting desperate here... I'm getting DESTROYED online. I still must be missing something. I started off good too going 10-2, but since then it's been an absolute shit show. I see people laughing about this above, but I'm absolutely at a loss right now as to how to get out of projectile spam right now.

def sim

You dudes know that some characters are meant to be fought in different ways right? Getting around projectile obstacle courses is a part of the game. Otherwise it'd be braindead rushdown non stop with no real variety.

Sometimes it's like you guys rather have the game be all Wolverine mirror matches or some shit.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Removing x-factor entirely would be bad because a game like this, above most other fighting games, really needs a comeback mechanic. Otherwise, you'll eventually start seeing MvC2-like stuff like people forfeiting matches 5 seconds in because they lost a character and won't have much of a chance to come back. X-factor just isn't implemented very well at the moment.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
My final thought on the matter:

soNbU.jpg

You can stomp a thousand noobs with Sentinels and nobody minds... because it's all part of the plan.

8JQhm.jpg

But nerf just one little Sentinel...

CTXoD.gif

And EvErYbOdY GoEs CrAzY!!!

Ashkeloth

msdstc said:
So seriously getting desperate here... I'm getting DESTROYED online. I still must be missing something. I started off good too going 10-2, but since then it's been an absolute shit show. I see people laughing about this above, but I'm absolutely at a loss right now as to how to get out of projectile spam right now.

Super jump, projectile spam back, use the right moves at the right time, use the right assists, have some sort of anti-projectile character on your team. All of these are good ways of getting around it.

Of course, if you've got a main team or something more specific on why you're getting destroyed, I could be a little more helpful.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
rance said:
You dudes know that some characters are meant to be fought in different ways right? Getting around projectile obstacle courses is a part of the game. Otherwise it'd be braindead rushdown non stop with no real variety.

Sometimes it's like you guys rather have the game be all Wolverine mirror matches or some shit.

I completely understand that... this is why I'm asking for maybe a guide or how to get around it.

edit- also does anyone else have trouble finding games often?

shaowebb

Lost Fragment said:
Removing x-factor entirely would be bad because a game like this, above most other fighting games, really needs a comeback mechanic. Otherwise, you'll eventually start seeing MvC2-like stuff like people forfeiting matches 5 seconds in because they lost a character and won't have much of a chance to come back. X-factor just isn't implemented very well at the moment.

This x 295,000 (the amount of Sentinel's lost health)

Ashkeloth said:
Super jump, projectile spam back, use the right moves at the right time, use the right assists, have some sort of anti-projectile character on your team. All of these are good ways of getting around it.

Of course, if you've got a main team or something more specific on why you're getting destroyed, I could be a little more helpful.

Ya know the scrubbiest anti spam maneuver I've ever seen was when I was dorking around against a guy with Sent and Magneto for jollies early in the first week.

He tried to jump and got knocked down...and decided to hell with it and ROLLED towards that spam. He kept doing it, too.

Get tagged. Roll and close distance.

He eventually backed me into a corner by trading mad health, but if your totally shut down by a guy and can't jump out it works in the scrubbiest manner imaginable at certain distances and is absolutely hilarious.

At least it was funny as hell at the time because he was rolling into his basic Haggar grapple while screaming "IM THE MAYOR OF EARTH YOU SPAMMY LIL SHIT! I DONT NEED NO BLOCKING!"

I still won but that was the funniest spam shutdown I ever ate.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I think X-Factor should basically be level 1 across the board.. maybe level 2.. I like a lot of its properties but level 3 xfactor is pretty stupid.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Ashkeloth said:

Alright well my best character is Dante, and maybe this is where alot of my problems come from, but I'm assuming a good way to get around this stuff is the teleport, but i swear input isn't the best online, because I'm perfectly fine with it in the single player.

Either way for right now I have setinel (had?) as a damage sponge and for x factor, and I've been experimenting with a bunch of others as the third. For now I've just been using magneto for his range.

Xevren

haunts said:
I think X-Factor should basically be level 1 across the board.. maybe level 2.. I like a lot of its properties but level 3 xfactor is pretty stupid.

I like the way you think and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

shaowebb

msdstc said:
Alright well my best character is Dante, and maybe this is where alot of my problems come from, but I'm assuming a good way to get around this stuff is the teleport, but i swear input isn't the best online, because I'm perfectly fine with it in the single player.

Either way for right now I have setinel (had?) as a damage sponge and for x factor, and I've been experimenting with a bunch of others as the third. For now I've just been using magneto for his range.

Oh God guys we gotta help this poor man.

is your team still magneto/dante/sentinel ?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
shaowebb said:
Oh God guys we gotta help this poor man.

is your team still magneto/dante/sentinel ?

Seriously I need it horribly I'm getting DESTROYED. It's Dante/Sentinel for now.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
haunts said:

I like X-Factor and agree with the rational behind it, and I could get behind this modification.

Leave level 1 as it is, make level 2 fifty percent between the current 1 and 2, and make level 3 into the current level 2.

Mainly it's the sheer time that level 3 buys. I don't mind the speed or even damage - if it didn't last so long. Level 3 is basically like giving you a 4th character to play, but in every wrong way.

Yoshichan

My Magneto Storm Sentinel is still unbeatable online. That's all I care about

shaowebb

Yoshichan said:
My Magneto Storm Sentinel is still unbeatable online. That's all I care about

I'm talking about his not yours. He had Sentinel for a sponge and is using Magneto just for keep away. We can do better than this with a team like that.

Yoshichan

shaowebb said:
I'm talking about his not yours. He had Sentinel for a sponge and is using Magneto just for keep away. We can do better than this with a team like that.
Fuck yes we can, everyone go rush down.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I suck hardcore at this game. Hulk/akuma/spencer team bodied me for many games. I actually never played against a decent hulk. That arm swing move has godlike super armor.

El Sloth

Banned
The IPW SSIV guide really helped me out when I was first starting out with the game, so I wanted to post about the status of their MvC3 guide on here:
Hey guys, I wanted to make a quick post to update everyone on the status of our Marvel vs Capcom 3 Strategy Guide. I know many of our long time readers understand that we take our guides here very seriously, with our Super Street Fighter IV Strategy Guide being one of the absolute best on the internet. We are working on an in depth guide for Marvel vs Capcom 3 as well, consulting with some of the best players in the country in the process. Beyond that, the MVC3 guide will have some new interactive features that I'm sure many of you will really enjoy.

Obviously, you might be wondering why it isn't out already and the answer is fairly simple: Marvel vs Capcom 3 is a new game and ground breaking strategies are still being discovered on a day to day basis. We wanted to spend some time with the game ourselves, see what works in competitive play, and put that into words once the game has had some time to simmer. We felt that if we just released a guide with a simple move list and a few descriptions many of you would be disappointed and not come back. That's the last thing we want, of course!

That being said, we also want feedback from our users on what you would like to see in our upcoming guide. What gives you the most problems in Marvel vs Capcom 3? What concept or strategy do you have a hard time wrapping your mind around? What sort of stand alone strategy articles or videos would you like to see?

As we continue to work on the overall foundation of this guide, we want to hear what our readers would like to see so we can slowly implement that into the guide as we move forward. Hit us up in the comments and let us know what we should get working on!
Thought this was a cool idea and figured some of you would be interested in giving some feedback on what you'd want to see.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
thanks for the link sloth. we are working pretty hard behind the scenes. we had to make some adjustments and delay things a bit since the game turned out to be so crazy. lmao.

seems like the main thing people are having problems with is creating a team with synergy. reflected in the comments and also just by watching videos and stuff, so thats something we're going to try to hit pretty hard.

ps:

LIVE STREAM: The Break Weekly - http://www.justin.tv/jaxelrod

shaowebb

Yoshichan said:
Fuck yes we can, everyone go rush down.

lol

Yeah I see your point, but putting someone into sponge is kind of lame and Magneto is pretty good on in/out . Plus with Dante and Sentinel assist setups you know that this team could do a lot pretty risk free by using some rushdown.

Keep away via magneto's flight dash and disruptor is great but sucking them in for stuff is also pretty boss with him to. When I was playing around with him I liked to tard spam and then when they decided to rush in I would switch to the old fashioned magnetic pull in setup the second they began to get close enough to send it out around mid screen. They never knew whether to run or come in guns blazing and with that flight game of his it was one big guessing game.

I aint a great Magneto, but he has a lot of options.
Plus Sentinel combos are great and should be easy to setup with these guys. Get em blocking your assist and do the good ol jumping skillet, launch, bnb tard combo that anyone can use and he already bodied a ton of your health without getting into anything advanced.

You play this team Yoshichan...maybe you should help the man with some setups and combos that work with these guys together. I've never played them together and I admit I am a rushdown guy since I B-teamed Haggar/Ryu/Spencer so I'm not really qualified to help him a whole lot with a distance game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom