• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite announced (PC/XB1/PS4, 2017) [Update: Info In OP]

I'm sure this was posted at some point, but I think it's worth bringing up again for people like me who don't want to wade through the last 20 or so pages.

It seems like content from the X-Men WILL in fact be included in Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite.

When I asked them about the rumor that the game’s roster would not include as many (or any) characters from the X-Men or Fantastic Four series due film rights issues (the current film series for those franchises are owned by Fox and not Marvel Studios) and would instead favor characters already in the Marvel cinematic universe, Creative Director of Marvel Entertainment Bill Rosemann didn’t tense up the way PR folks tend to when you ask them a difficult question. While Marvel wants to take a forward-thinking stance with the characters they include in the game, he wants to make sure fans of all of Marvel properties, including X-Men, are happy. “That heritage is not lost,” he told me.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/m...are-made-more-chaotic-by-infinity-stones.aspx

My guess is that Wolverine at the very least will be kept to 'represent' the X-Men brand. Although I could see maybe 1 or 2 more making it. Some combination of Deadpool, Magneto and Gambit would be the next in line IMHO.
I really think that's a non answer to string people along. But then again I can a cynic. :p

Blueblur1

So you want things to be stale & broken forever, gotcha.

Plus it's confirmed that they'll have a large roster.
That's a poor argument because you're jumping to conclusions.

There's nothing that proves It's impossible to keep assists and add to MvC3's gameplay and make it fresh. Or alternatively, the devs take away a few small things (like team aerial combos) while keeping the 3v3 format and assists to improve gameplay. Also, the game can surely be balanced (or as close to balanced as a fighting game can get) with those mechanics present. UMvC3's main problem was bad balancing and characters breaking the rules of the game system. That can be fixed without ditching assists.

I'm sure this was posted at some point, but I think it's worth bringing up again for people like me who don't want to wade through the last 20 or so pages.

It seems like content from the X-Men WILL in fact be included in Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite.

When I asked them about the rumor that the game’s roster would not include as many (or any) characters from the X-Men or Fantastic Four series due film rights issues (the current film series for those franchises are owned by Fox and not Marvel Studios) and would instead favor characters already in the Marvel cinematic universe, Creative Director of Marvel Entertainment Bill Rosemann didn’t tense up the way PR folks tend to when you ask them a difficult question. While Marvel wants to take a forward-thinking stance with the characters they include in the game, he wants to make sure fans of all of Marvel properties, including X-Men, are happy. “That heritage is not lost,” he told me.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/m...are-made-more-chaotic-by-infinity-stones.aspx

My guess is that Wolverine at the very least will be kept to 'represent' the X-Men brand. Although I could see maybe 1 or 2 more making it. Some combination of Deadpool, Magneto and Gambit would be the next in line IMHO.
So when you go out of your way to say something as weird and confusing as "that heritage will not be lost", you're trying to avoid the question. I'm 90% positive this means that either this new game will continue the legacy built by the old XMen-focused fighting games (gems and 2v2 and shit), or it means that the "legacy moves" of these characters will survive i.e. Necalli has beserker barrage.

We ain't getting Wolverine or Doom.

uppercut

Neo Member
Something about the art did not look all that appealing. Wonder who the studio is behind this.

This series lost it's soul going to 3D. I miss the "comic panels coming to life" look of the early games.

Yeah, it looks like that stupid mobile game Marvel Contest of Champions.

I hope it's just very very early in its development and the art style and gameplay get a lot better.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
My favorite Marvel games are MSH and XvS.

This reveal has me hyped like no other.

Loved the fuck outta both of them myself. While I'm bummed at the possibility of no x-men, the Captain Marvel push has me committed.

On a side note, do we have a character request thread yet?

This isn't a fresh take, this has been done before in the VS series pre-MVC1. It's similar to X Men vs SF with MSH's Infinity Stones.

Quiet you get back in the bin

That might be a reference, but all signs point to it being far more of a mix than just 'hey it's the systems from back then'

So when you go out of your way to say something as weird and confusing as "that heritage will not be lost", you're trying to avoid the question. I'm 90% positive this means that either this new game will continue the legacy built by the old XMen-focused fighting games (gems and 2v2 and shit), or it means that the "legacy moves" of these characters will survive i.e. Necalli has beserker barrage.

I feel like, at best, we're going to have some 2017 post-game dlc regarding x-men.

Vic_Viper

Very happy about the decision to switch too 2v2 and only 1 power gem. Seems like they are trying to a new approach with this one. Which isnt necessarily a bad thing since 3 got very hectic at times, even frantic, especially for new comers.

My only gripe is about the roster choices still. Has Capcom or Marvel made any announcements regarding fan favorites like the X-Men yet, especially Wolverine?

Edit: NVM just saw this quote after posting:

Deadpool was huge when he was announced, especially for casual fans so I dont see them holding out just because of film rights.

Neoxon

Yeah, the way he answered the question kinda has me concerned.

Very happy about the decision to switch too 2v2 and only 1 power gem. Seems like they are trying to a new approach with this one. Which isnt necessarily a bad thing since 3 got very hectic at times, even frantic, especially for new comers.

My only gripe is about the roster choices still. Has Capcom or Marvel made any announcements regarding fan favorites like the X-Men yet, especially Wolverine?
I think each character gets their own gem, so you get two.

I feel like, at best, we're going to have some 2017 post-game dlc regarding x-men.
Oh for sure, assuming people are still playing the game enough to warrant support after the ban lifts.

Skilletor

Quiet you get back in the bin

That might be a reference, but all signs point to it being far more of a mix than just 'hey it's the systems from back then'

Yeah, the gems look nothing like how they were used in MSH. If they're like grooves...man.

Everything they're saying and showing sounds dope to me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
We know you can give one of the six to each of your characters and they can activate them for unique effects. Apparently it's like grooves in CvS.
It's not per character, just per team.

(descriptions of the Power and Time gems from GI are in the OP, btw).

shaowebb

We know you can give one of the six to each of your characters and they can activate them for unique effects. Apparently it's like grooves in CvS.

But instead of affecting how meter works for your character its just affecting buffs so far.
If Infinity Stones evolve to have passive differences during the match before activating their buffs like how grooves changed what mechanics and meter setups you had then this could be very deep indeed being a tag fighter with marvel length ground to air combos and grooves.

For the record I dont expect combos to get smaller BTW. Assist extensions likely will somewhat be replaced for the tag extensions you get prior to air combos.

Yeah, it looks like that stupid mobile game Marvel Contest of Champions.

I hope it's just very very early in its development and the art style and gameplay get a lot better.

A lot can be done to improve the look of the game just based on shaders and lighting, and Ryu's model in particular looks too flat for me to feel like this is indicative of the final cut.

Here's an example of King of Fighters XIV before and after its recent graphics patch. And here's one of how Street Fighter V changed between its initial reveal and later builds.

A lot can change even with the exact same models and textures, those shaders can do a lot to polish up a game's look.

NotLiquid

Has there been more revealed about the gem system? Some people here seem to already know how it works?

It replaces X-Factor as a comeback mechanic and you select which infinity gem you go into battle with, each one having different effects. Judging by the trailer, aside from the passive upgrades mentioned, the Power Gem seems to give you extra moves to extend combos (a wall bounce is shown in the trailer) and the Time Gem seems to give you something of a Nash-like teleport. We don't know much more about them other than them being compared to Grooves from CvS2 in the Game Informer interview but that might be a broad comparison.

We've seen Power and Time gems, so the other gems that we haven't seen yet are Soul, Mind, Reality and Space.

Tik-Tok

I dont know why anyone would assume the roster will be small for this.

SFV set the tone. Characters will be coming out all the time, like a MOBA.

The name Infinite is likely not only talking about the stones, but some marketing stuff about the 'endless roster additions'.

You will spend lots of money on this game trust me, because Capcom and Marvel both want to make cash on it.

y2dvd

I'll wait until I hear officially that Xmen aren't included. People already stating it as fact but it's just assumptions at this point, unless I missed it!

This series lost it's soul going to 3D. I miss the "comic panels coming to life" look of the early games.

Marvel 3's entire art direction was "a comic book coming to life".

I'm really surprised how many people here seem to think that game was ugly. I thought it looked amazing at the time. I still think it looks great now.

Neoxon

I'll wait until I hear officially that Xmen aren't included. People already stating it as fact but it's just assumptions at this point, unless I missed it!
It was mentioned by both Eurogamer & Polygon when they leaked the existence of this game, which lines up with what's been happening with other Marvel games released after Contest of Champions. It's the reason why a good number of us are concerned.

Weiss

Banned
No Assists honestly feels like removing one of the things that made MvC cool. It made team composition important. Now it's just tagging out.

Like, it'd be nice if there were Assist NPCs. That'd be a great way to see some underused characters like BoF Ryu who otherwise wouldn't have a shot.

NotLiquid

No Assists honestly feels like removing one of the things that made MvC cool. It made team composition important. Now it's just tagging out.

Like, it'd be nice if there were Assist NPCs. That'd be a great way to see some underused characters like BoF Ryu who otherwise wouldn't have a shot.

For better and for worse, no assists is going to mean that there's going to be a much larger focus on learning the actual characters you play, and I think it might end up legitimizing some characters that would be terrible in a system like MvC3.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Marvel 3 look good in screens but gorgeous in motion.
MvCI looks kind of bad in screens because you can pick out the textures and stuff but looks fantastic in motion too IMO:

BydvZGX.gif

QKXqWTu.gif

MvC2 literally copy and pasted sprites from other games, no?

Yeah, & it consisted entirely of characters from X-Men: Children of the Atom, Marvel Super Heroes, X-Men Vs. Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter, & Marvel Vs. Capcom 1 (A total of 42 characters including another Wolverine).

vg260

MvCI looks kind of bad in screens because you can pick out the textures and stuff but looks fantastic in motion too IMO:

The good thing about MvC3's artstyle is that the shading helped the characters stand out from the backgrounds pretty well. I wonder if that's going to be an issue here. Maybe not an issue w/ 2v2 and no assists.

TheAnvil

Neo Member

Considering they want to make sure X-Men fans are happy, giving their moves to other characters will accomplish exactly the opposite of that.

Essentially this is as much of a confirmation of X-Men content without pre-emptively confirming characters they aren't ready to confirm yet as you could possibly get.

He didn't mention F4 in his answer, so I can't speak for Doom but I'm fairly confident that at least Wolverine will be included. As he's the only character who has up until this point appeared in the entire series (not even Ryu can say that) I think that'd fit the bill of keeping the X-Men fans happy.

Neoxon

Considering they want to make sure X-Men fans are happy, giving their moves to other characters will accomplish exactly the opposite of that.

Essentially this is as much of a confirmation of X-Men content without pre-emptively confirming characters they aren't ready to confirm yet as you could possibly get.

He didn't mention F4 in his answer, so I can't speak for Doom but I'm fairly confident that at least Wolverine will be included. As he's the only character who has up until this point appeared in the entire series (not even Ryu can say that) I think that'd fit the bill of keeping the X-Men fans happy.
While the quote does give a glimmer of hope, you're probably jumping a bit too far to a conclusion (& this is me saying this). They would have been a bit more straightforward if they wanted to go further in quelling our fears, so we should probably proceed with cautious optimism to prevent disappointment.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

BydvZGX.gif

QKXqWTu.gif

Yes. This is the strength of 3D games once developers got better at character animation and began adding effects like hitstop for drama. Marvel 3 is outrageous in motion and is full of elaborate, over the top stuff you wouldn't see with sprites.

People pick on SFV's backgrounds or character faces but in motion it looks great.

Infinite already looks pretty good in motion in its alpha state.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Gimme some Rival School, SF EX and Power Stone characters please Capcom ��

Anyone but Batsu and I'm down.

---------------------------

Guessing Carol will have different hairstyles in her alts.
She better!

Top Bottom