• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Inhumans |OT| Fridays on ABC | Losing Faith Inhumanity

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
1-10 scale.

Give me your scores.

A solid 1/10, no hyperbole. Nothing worked about this. From directing, to writing, the pacing, to special effects, all the way to production design. It feels like a cheap Asylum knockoff "The Marvelous Non-Humans" airing on Syfy, except that would have been trashy fun.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Karnak's powers are vague and unclear, no wonder people didn't understand his abilities in the Imax screenings.

It really is shocking just how bad this is.

Oh hey Crystal makes it out what a surprise

Yeah. I hadn't read up about it just that there'd be plenty to complain about, but I didn't expect it to actually be as messy and bland looking as this on top of everything. And as was said, every scene went on longer than needed and yet it simultaneously flew through stuff or something. Also, there was like no production design/style.

jph139

So yeah, I'd put that on Iron Fist levels. Better than I expected! Just regular bad!

It's got three major problems:

- It's boring. Like, nothing interesting happens. The action is boring. The exposition is boring. The character development (was there any?) is boring. I don't care about anything.
- It's cheap. Lifeless sets, amateur costumes, low-tier performances, bottom of the barrel CGI. No one here was being paid enough to care.
- It's generic. The Inhumans, good or bad, are an interesting property - a weird royal superhero family drama. They didn't feel super. They didn't feel royal. They didn't feel weird. They feel like people in ridiculous outfits with silly names running around Hawaii.

But there was some okay stuff there. Like, Crystal's actress really nailed it, even if it's not a super deep role. Lockjaw is cute as fuck. Karnak is funny. The actual "politics" on Attilan are... fine. Disappointed that Maximus isn't fun or interesting or original when the comic book version is all of those things, but, I mean, it's fine, I guess. It works. It's just generic.

And Black Bolt, god-king of the Inhumans, conqueror of the Kree Empire, a man who can stand side-by-side with the likes of Thor and the Silver Surfer, getting his shit kicked in by some local cops and hanging out at the police station... I dunno, that's funny to me. So I enjoyed those scenes. For the wrong reasons.

Like, it's going to be rightfully cancelled, but I'll enjoy half-watching it. I'd give it like a 4/10.
I liked it more than most of Supergirl S2.

Biske

Yeah the 2nd hour wasn't needed or it needed to tell a different story

The whole narrative structure was so gawd damn awful

Remember when we had a recap at the end of episode 1 of episode 1?

They probably figured they'd throw a bone to the people who fell asleep or walked away to make a sandwich for 45 minutes.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
2/10 because it wasn't The Room or Plan 9 From Outer Space, Crystal is cute and I liked Karnak's fight scene.

Seriously though it's even less compelling than Iron Fist and I didn't think that was possible.

I walked in on this show right in the middle of the coup, five minutes before the hairclipping, and couldn't look away. Truly gripping television.

3/10

The Kree

Banned
Can someone tell me how they cut hair strong enough to strangle people to death? They didn't just use scissors, did they?

Biske

Why even give Medusa a hair cut?

Whats the point.

LOOK AT HOW COOL THIS LADY IS! NOW SHE IS JUST A REGULAR LADY!

Korigama

1-10 scale.

Give me your scores.
4/10, being generous (much of that is coming from having fun mocking it).
They used hair clippers? Are you lying?
If only...
Why even give Medusa a hair cut?

Whats the point.

LOOK AT HOW COOL THIS LADY IS! NOW SHE IS JUST A REGULAR LADY!
It makes having her with the hair in the graphic promoting the show all the more pointless.

Biske

4/10, being generous (much of that is coming from having fun mocking it).

If only...

It makes having her with the hair in the graphic promoting the show all the more pointless.

The show could do some fun stuff like:

francis-quintero-medusa-17a.jpg

Instead they are like.. naaaaaaaah

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This is literally terrible from minute 1.

What are we?

*removes hood dramatically even though we've all clearly seen he has green skin and ridges*

We're...Inhumans.

Then to show that he dove off a high cliff they do a long shot, then cut to someone jumping from like 5 feet up. The splash was like when you gently kick up water with your leg lol

Guys, I wasn't expecting it to be this awful right from the first fucking scene. The editing in the whole sequence is God-tier. I think I love this show already. I'm gonna watch some more and get back to you.

Edit: The CGI in that Attilan shot... I can't. And immediately after... that control center/lab. A big screen, a few desks and a joystick. I'm dying here.

Ponn

Banned
Am I supposed to be cheering for the royal family? Medusa is awful, Black Bolt is a bumbling joke. Fuck the caste system.

#TeamRamsey

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Guys, I wasn't expecting it to be this awful right from the first fucking scene. The editing in the whole sequence is God-tier. I think I love this show already. I'm gonna watch some more and get back to you.

Edit: The CGI in that Attilan shot... I can't. And immediately after... that control center/lab. A big screen, a few desks and a joystick. I'm dying here.

That control center was one of the cheapest sets I've ever seen on a TV show. Just a giant empty warehouse with tv screens and Ikea chairs lol. This is supposed to be NASA?

I'm at the end of Episode 1. They're trying to do song covers to give these scenes some gravitas. This is a mess.

Grizzlyjin

Medusa's big moment with her powers is three guys slowly walking towards her. It's 8 seconds long. Fuck this show.

error4041

Karnak is kinda funny, only semi-good thing about the show so far, but holy shit his he incompetent. he falls down a cliff and starts wondering in circles

Why did they get rid of Maximus' powers? it adds nothing to his character and his takeover of Attillan would have made more sense if he had his powers.

Medusa's Haircut was so over dramatized, even though it didn't give you a single reason to care for Medusa or her hair

Why'd they have to go and ruin Eldrac? I figured they wouldn't go near him due to his wierdness, but Buck just had to go and half-ass him.

Black Bolt gets taken down by a fucking taser, this is a dude that has gone toe-to-toe against Thanos and the Hulk, but he can't a taser

Grizzlyjin

She also put Ramsey up against the wall.

Ah yes, how could I forget that spectacle. I thought maybe they were teasing her hair scenes. But they used them up in the marketing.

KarmaCow

Is there anything redeeming, anything worthwhile in the show? I have a morbid curiosity but I'm wondering if it's just better to experience the show through gifs and clips to laugh at.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Is there anything redeeming, anything worthwhile in the show? I have a morbid curiosity but I'm wondering if it's just better to experience the show through gifs and clips to laugh at.

Lockjaw is cute, Karnak has some funny lines in the first episode.

Grizzlyjin

No. Nothing worth 80 minutes of your time.

You know things are dire when no one on gaf even bothered with gifs.

I mean, if the no one on the show is trying, why should anyone?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
For an advanced civilization... the set design is super... boring

It's literally just gravel and slabs of concrete.

I think this is technically the second episode now. But maybe don't include the flashbacks when the plan is to air the two episodes together.

Yeahhhh....

We can shit on Scott Buck all we want. The blame lies with Marvel TV and Perlmutter for treating their properties like they don't deserve better.

It would have taken a miracle for this to turn out well even with a better showrunner attached. Buck is awful but it's not his fault Marvel/ABC TV/IMAX wanted to rush it out as quickly as possible.

Am I supposed to be cheering for the royal family? Medusa is awful, Black Bolt is a bumbling joke. Fuck the caste system.

#TeamRamsey

I mean, his methods are pretty nasty (killing people, etc.) but like Black Bolt and Medusa are dictators who are content to enforce a rigid caste system in their kingdom, so...

It's hard to defend the show but the CGI for Lockjaw is great.

It's a broadcast television show and Lockjaw looks just fine.

Yeah, he's about on par with Grodd and King Shark from Flash.

It has dog.

Top Bottom