• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What's the average level that most people reached when completing ME2? I didn't do all of the N7 side missions, mind, but I lost my save and am planning on using the ME2 save editor to aid in speed running the game, I just want something relatively authentic. (all loyalty missions etc completed)

Hard to remember, but I think it was near 30. With DLC you can make it in one playthrough doing pretty much everything.

Woo hoo! Since I'm in Taiwan (awkward wink), I can play now! I'll just go ahead and download this DLC, because OF COURSE I want the extra squad member.

00:53:42 Remaining'd

Derrick01

Banned
My thoughts exactly, why do I have to start from scratch when I did all that work in ME1 and ME2 already?

Because it's a RPG, or kind of one...or marketed as one I don't even fucking know at this point.

But anyway part of a RPG is progression and leveling like 3 abilities only part way for the entire game is awful. There's actual FPS games from non RPG devs with more progression than that.

edit: I'm starting to see why Priestly recommended not importing a character now.

Zen

Banned
Hard to remember, but I think it was near 30. With DLC you can make it in one playthrough doing pretty much everything.

Yeah I did Shadow broker, Overlord, and Firewalker, so I probably was maxed out of 28-29. Thanks. I'm torn between editing the save file post game to be level 1 and just starting at the 50% mark. Progression is fun, and the decisions that I've made are the important part.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
EDI is so much better in this game.
EDI + a body = instant comedy. I can't wait to try her out in combat.
(DO NOT CLICK SPOILER IF YOU HAVE NOT GOTTEN PAST THE FIRST HOURS OF THE GAME.)

I can't wait to talk about this game once I beat it. ME3 is truly amazing, and I'm still in the early sections. I'm taking a breather right now. I'm trying not to beat the game in only three days.

RyanDG

Because it's a RPG, or kind of one...or marketed as one I don't even fucking know at this point.

But anyway part of a RPG is progression and leveling like 3 abilities only part way for the entire game is awful. There's actual FPS games from non RPG devs with more progression than that.

Classes have like 8 skill trees. Leveling 2 fully means you will be leveling 6 others the rest of the game. Additionally, even if you put some of them at half way, you won't be getting to the point where you are really splitting off the skill tree (where the selections have two choices down each skill path). It's really not that bad IMO. Especially since there is a lot more customization in the weapons this time around as well.

Edit - Also, this isn't even counting your customization for your crew members either.

My thoughts exactly, why do I have to start from scratch when I did all that work in ME1 and ME2 already?

You don't have to start from scratch, but why not just start you off with one or two levels unlocked for an imported character instead of giving you a full 30 levels worth? Shepard's been grounded after all, getting fat and lazy with his hot meals and showers.

Or have more than six upgrade levels per skill, or have more skills, etc...

Baron

Are there seriously no reviews out anywhere yet for the game? I need to know which of the two console versions is better. I just cancelled my PS3 CE order on Amazon earlier today - that's another story, I can't justify $80 for the game - but I still can't believe there aren't any reviews up telling me the differences (if any) between versions.

Ammish

Banned
So I hear that ME1 faces imported to ME2 can't be imported to ME3.

I know it's extremely petty, but I can't bring myself to play a game if I have a new face with Shepard's voice. I lost my save for Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. And it took me ages to get it to the face I wanted. Heck, first attempt and I switched off the game because it really annoys me.

I'm attached to my current Shep, which is nearly the same except for the beard, and I don't want to go through that again in Mass Effect 3 because it's really going to put me off.

Zen

Banned
So I hear that ME1 faces imported to ME2 can't be imported to ME3.

I know it's extremely petty, but I can't bring myself to play a game if I have a new face with Shepard's voice. I lost my save for Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. And it took me ages to get it to the face I wanted. Heck, first attempt and I switched off the game because it really annoys me.

I'm attached to my current Shep, which is nearly the same except for the beard, and I don't want to go through that again in Mass Effect 3 because it's really going to put me off.

Does the game still use the facecode system? You can record what your face code is in ME2 and copy/paste it into ME3. Because it's a new game, the face probably won't import 1:1. but it's a start.

Are there seriously no reviews out anywhere yet for the game? I need to know which of the two console versions is better. I just cancelled my PS3 CE order on Amazon earlier today - that's another story, I can't justify $80 for the game - but I still can't believe there aren't any reviews up telling me the differences (if any) between versions.

The general consensus is that the 360 version performs better. However, some people are saying that the disc swaps are significantly more frequent than ME2.

Dany

Banned

Reviews come out day of release. Tomorrow. The only prerelease review was meant for IGN and their isn't up.

Also, the enemies level to where you are if you import. Starting with levle 30 in ME3 is great. I love it, keeps it consistent between games. I really dislike how most games nerf you when you play a sequel by forcing an Abilitease

Kyoufu

There is no sense in giving Shepard amnesia when her abilities didn't really change from ME2 into ME3.

If you don't want to be "overpowered" at the beginning, then don't use the points.

Or play the game on Hardcore/Insanity.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Does the game still use the facecode system? You can record what your face code is in ME2 and copy/paste it into ME3. Because it's a new game, the face probably won't import 1:1. but it's a start.

ME1 faces didn't get a proper face code. They were either absent, or, if you went into the CC in ME2 for a bit, completely wrong. You have to recreate your ME1 character in ME3. It makes no sense that they didn't use the raw data, but there's nothing we can do about it.

For people who are playing or have played, how's the soundtrack?

It's like ME1 and ME2 had a beautiful baby. The battle music is especially god-tier.

Xamdou

You don't have to start from scratch, but why not just start you off with one or two levels unlocked for an imported character instead of giving you a full 30 levels worth? Shepard's been grounded after all, getting fat and lazy with his hot meals and showers.

Or have more than six upgrade levels per skill, or have more skills, etc...

Sense of continuity, if you ended ME2 with a lvl of 30 then you should start of as a lvl 30 in ME3. Granted you max a lot of your skills already because of this, Bioware should have added more skils to remedy this so you can unlock more.

LuchaShaq

Banned

edit: I'm starting to see why Priestly recommended not importing a character now.

After about 60-70 posts where you obviously didn't like ME2-Direction of ME3 it would probably be better for you if you didn't buy/play the game since it obviously inspires so much rage inside you.

At this point this is like me posting in a Crusader Kings 2 thread complaining why I can't hack and slash dudes since I could in Mount and Blade.

Megasoum

Banned
For those woried that starting at level 30 would make you level slowly...I'm already 31 coming out of the introduction lol... Maybe I had some leftover XP from ME? I don't know if it's carried over but anyway...that was fast...

Oh and it's the first time I play an adept, always been a soldier so far... Now I'm playing an adept with an assault rifle... That's pretty much the definition of bad ass!

I managed to grab a Copy of the CE for PS3 at my local Best Buy. The girl at the counter said I had to pre-order the regular one and she would reserve me the CE, which she then callled me to confirm.

Now I got a question, is it suitable for me to Play the Arrival DLC to play ME3? I was on the Hunt for ME2 for $5 @BestBuy but all the copies where sold out. So no Luck for me.

GorillaJu

EDI is so much better in this game.
EDI + a body = instant comedy. I can't wait to try her out in combat.

I can't wait to talk about this game once I beat it. ME3 is truly amazing, and I'm still in the early sections. I'm taking a breather right now. I'm trying not to beat the game in only three days.

Why the fuck did I click that spoiler? Oh gooooodddd

Xamdou

For those woried that starting at level 30 would make you level slowly...I'm already 31 coming out of the introduction lol... Maybe I had some leftover XP from ME? I don't know if it's carried over but anyway...that was fast...

Oh and it's the first time I play an adept, always been a soldier so far... Now I'm playing an adept with an assault rifle... That's pretty much the definition of bad ass!

So you can use any kind of weapon regardless of class? IE I am a vanguard class and I can equip sniper and assault rifles?

Nice.

Anyone know if they're releasing it in some form? Or is it only available in the CE?

("it" being the soundtrack)

Considering EA released music from the DLC, thematic differences (action, drama, etc), I wouldn't be too worried. EA is actually good with soundtracks, even if they like to do a bunch of them (that said they are cheap and you get a lot of music).

Megasoum

Banned
So you can use any kind of weapon regardless of class? IE I am a vanguard class and I can equip sniper and assault rifles?

Yes but each weapons (each specific weapon model , not simply each category) has a weight. Each class has a starting weight limit (obviously the soldier is the highest and the adept the lowest). You can increase the weight limit with skills. If you go over the weight limit you increase your spell cooldown.

For exemple, right now, as an adept with my weight skills maxed out I'm running around with one SMG, one sniper rifle and one assault rifle. With that loading I'm at a "ballanced weight"...aka my cooldown is not affected. If you are lighter the cooldown goes down, if you are heavier the cooldown goes up.

In this particular case, I had to pick the standard alliance rifle instead of the chackram launcher that comes with the Amalur demo. The thing does incredible damage but weigh a ton!

soultron

Banned
So... embargo lifts at midnight tonight, then? Seems strange for such a high-profile title.

Anyone have a juicy EXCLUSIVE review?

Dany

Banned

You can equip any weaopon, you can have all weapons. The thing is that each weapon has weight. The weight doesn't make you slow but makes cooldown take longer. So the more weapons means longer cool downs on powers. Less weapons is faster cool downs.

I also believe the rate of cooldown is also dependent on class, such that a soldiers with all weapons has a shorter cooldown than an adept with every weapon.

Derrick01

Banned
After about 60-70 posts where you obviously didn't like ME2-Direction of ME3 it would probably be better for you if you didn't buy/play the game since it obviously inspires so much rage inside you.

At this point this is like me posting in a Crusader Kings 2 thread complaining why I can't hack and slash dudes since I could in Mount and Blade.

No it wouldn't be, because those are 2 different games.

Fjordson

Considering EA released music from the DLC, thematic differences (action, drama, etc), I wouldn't be too worried. EA is actually good with soundtracks, even if they like to do a bunch of them (that said they are cheap and you get a lot of music).
Cool. Thanks. I've really enjoyed the music in the first two games, excited to see what Clint Mansell has done for this.

Also, it seems like it's all been uploaded onto YouTube already. Not sure if I'm allowed to post it, but searching "Mass Effect 3 OST HQ" will get you there.

It's really good. There's a YouTube channel "MassEffect3OST" that has the whole thing. Be careful not to scroll down though.
Yeah, haha, just stumbled upon it. First two songs sound good!

Xamdou

Yes but each weapons (each specific weapon model , not simply each category) has a weight. Each class has a starting weight limit (obviously the soldier is the highest and the adept the lowest). You can increase the weight limit with skills. If you go over the weight limit you increase your spell cooldown.

That is awesome, game has less restrictions that the previous games! Can't wait until tomorrow!

Dr.Acula

Banned
Woo! Got my CE. And just like every time I get a CE, I look at the useless steel case, the Velcro (WTF?) patch, and... is this a post-card? and immediately regret my decision :p

So when I pop the disc in, it just deletes the Origin.exe, and then refuses to run... I have to go online, DL Origin again, and now it's running.

Stupid physical media. lol

And how hard are these discs secured in this case? Almost had to snap 'em in half!

Cool. Thanks. I've really enjoyed the music for both of the first two games, excited to see what Clint Mansell has done for this.

Sure thing. They also did this with Crysis, it seems for all of EA's faults, good digital releases (BUY VIA AMAZON though as it tends to be cheaper) of their soundtracks are not one of them.

Also, it seems like it's all been uploaded onto YouTube already. Not sure if I'm allowed to post it, but searching "Mass Effect 3 OST HQ" will get you there.
I suspect as much, but I really don't want to get track title spoilered on something major.

Top Bottom