• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

So, IGN's guide says that your galactic readiness doesn't matter for the ending. Here's what they said (I'll spoiler it but there really are zero spoilers other than telling you how many endings there are according to them):
There are 3 different endings for Mass Effect 3 based on a single choice you make in the final stretch. Your Paragon and Renegade status do not matter, nor does your Galactic Readiness rating.

This goes against what I had previously heard, so what's the deal? I thought you had to have your readiness at 100% for the best ending?

One of the devs on the Bioware forums responded to the confusion:

Hi everyone,

I've seen some posts where there is a bit of confusion about the ability to get the "perfect ending" by only playing single-player, because if you don't play multiplayer (or the iOS game, Infiltrator) your Galactic Readiness stays at 50%.

You do NOT have to play multiplayer to get the best single-player endings.

Here's a bit of clarification:

Your ending(s) are determined by your "Effective Military Strength" (let's call it EMS for now) bar. Focus on that bar - that is your indicator of how well you will do in the end-game.

You can maximize your EMS just by collecting War Assets in the single-player game. There is a certain threshhold of these you would need to exceed (I can't get too specific) but I can tell you there are MORE than the required amount that can be gathered in the single-player campaign.

"Galactic Readiness" is a modifier you can improve by playing multiplayer. That is to say, if you play a lot of multiplayer, you will need less War Assets from single-player to fill up your EMS bar (ie it will balance out the requirements to account for you playing in both modes). Single-player game play does not impact that bar.

EMS = success. EMS can be maximized via collecting war assets alone, even if your Galactic Readiness is 50%.

My Xbox was stolen and I've had to rebuild my ME2 save in preparation for 3. Simple question, as I am now tired of replaying ME2:

Does Operation Overload, Firewalker, or any of the N7 space missions have any impact on ME3 (Either real story stuff, or emails like ME2's)?

I did everything else, but I really don't want to waste another 5 or 7 hours doing the Overlord and Firewalker missions, and I really don't want to do the N7 stuff.

Is there a list of missions that have impact in ME3, even if barely impactful?

Zeliard

I can't help but get a kick out of the Garrus calibration jokes. I recruited Garrus and there were like 4 different calibration jokes made on the Normandy, all of them amusing.

During that one event with
----EDI----
(very early post-Palaven spoilers), Joker questions whether or not the error might lie with the "calibrations," and Garrus goes "you do know who you're talking to, right?". Made me laugh.

Shepard's face after a certain EDI convo made me laugh out loud.

Haha I think I know exactly what you're talking about. Where he looks somewhat aghast for a moment?

And no holstering is a bigger loss than expected. It totally screws with the ambiance of exploration on planets. You're running around like a goon with your gun out even though after the battle is over, Shep says stuff like "okay no more enemies, let's look around." The claustrophobic FOV doesn't help.

Warning! Ending spoilers in this post! Do not click / select if you don't want to be spoiled!

So, IGN's guide says that your galactic readiness doesn't matter for the ending. Here's what they said (I'll spoiler it but there really are zero spoilers other than telling you how many endings there are according to them):
There are 3 different endings for Mass Effect 3 based on a single choice you make in the final stretch. Your Paragon and Renegade status do not matter, nor does your Galactic Readiness rating.

This goes against what I had previously heard, so what's the deal? I thought you had to have your readiness at 100% for the best ending?

think Metroid style extra finish. The ending are still locked in place and can all be attained from the same playtrough, since there is not particular consequence for any of them as this is the final game in the trilogy. It's a missed opportunity, but it is probably done to give most players access to all endings without having to go through the whole trilogy over and over. This is a problem of demographics, not lazyness on Bioware's end.

X-Frame

Can someone clarify the bar on the War Assets menu?

Mine is sometimes a blue or a green bar, with a gray bar that is slightly longer, and then there is a tick market on it.

Which is which?

guest1321

I am loving the quick save option. Is this something that has been in all Mass Effect's and I have been too stupid to realize (note: 360 versions).

Oh and, 9 hours in...needddd moarrr

TheExodu5

Banned
I really like the Futureshop steelbook for ME3. Nice pre-order bonus. Enough disc slots to fit in the whole series.

mesb1.jpg

mesb2.jpg

mesb3.jpg

I am loving the quick save option. Is this something that has been in all Mass Effect's and I have been too stupid to realize (note: 360 versions).

Oh and, 9 hours in...needddd moarrr
It wasnt in the others. In ME2 bavk was used to holster. I miss that option but the qs is a great Addition.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Oh a very amusing glitch that happened to me. A cut scene activated with one enemy still alive, so while everyone was talking this dude was flipping out, rolling and shooting and jivin and what not.

Solo

I really like the Futureshop steelbook for ME3. Nice pre-order bonus. Enough disc slots to fit in the whole series.

Pre-order? I walked into Futureshop yesterday and got ME3, this trilogy steelbook, and some code for a gun without a pre-order.

Warning! Ending spoilers in this post! Do not click / select if you don't want to be spoiled!

think Metroid style extra finish. The ending are still locked in place and can all be attained from the same playtrough, since there is not particular consequence for any of them as this is the final game in the trilogy. It's a missed opportunity, but it is probably done to give most players access to all endings without having to go through the whole trilogy over and over. This is a problem of demographics, not lazyness on Bioware's end.

I'll come back to you tomorrow when I finish the game. Have a three hour drive to make today then come back tomorrow. Going to fucking suck. So close to the end...

One of the devs on the Bioware forums responded to the confusion:

Awesome. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Zeliard

Also I had no idea that
EDI not only would take on a physical body but that she would actually become one of your squadmates
. (post-Palaven spoiler)

That was a rather pleasant surprise.

Just got booted of the servers on PC right at the end of a match. Fuck that. Wouldn't let me reconnect either. Just got a 40MB update, so maybe that's why.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It said in the load screens of 2 that you can't import from ME2 if that happens.

Terrible attempt at being funny, don't fret.

It's not real? Okay. I apologize then. I had my ME3 on the PS3 freeze like 5 times trying to travel around the Citadel. Anyone else having problems. This is pretty annoying.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Quick saves have been in Mass Effect games since ME1, what are you guys talking about? Console versions didn't have them before ME3?

PC Master race indeed.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm only five hours in but so far it's really wonderful. Kind of everything I was hoping ME2 would be. Even that dreadful demo opening felt better here for some reason (more dialogue? better sound design?)

The writers are doing a great job of hammering home the fact that THIS IS IT. The skybox on that Turian moon just totally sells the scope and stakes of this game without saying a word.

And I love how the fact that we've been really living and breathing these games through our decision-making comes home to roost here. I mean, (SPOILER FOR SECOND MISSION)
I literally gasped when that thing slammed Ashley's head against the wall.

And there's a certain part of the Normandy that gave me pause as well.

Only played up to teh first Turian mission after leaving the Citadel & GOTY confirmed.
That one mission as more varied & exciting to play than all of ME2.

I officially went from hate to can't bear to not be playing this game.

Derrick01

Banned
Man having (character spoiler)
Liara
around just isn't fair to my enemies. Singularity throws like 4 people in the air if they get close and then using stasis to freeze an enemy for an easy headshot from my sniper too? Not fair at all.

My Xbox was stolen and I've had to rebuild my ME2 save in preparation for 3. Simple question, as I am now tired of replaying ME2:

Does Operation Overload, Firewalker, or any of the N7 space missions have any impact on ME3 (Either real story stuff, or emails like ME2's)?

I did everything else, but I really don't want to waste another 5 or 7 hours doing the Overlord and Firewalker missions, and I really don't want to do the N7 stuff.

Is there a list of missions that have impact in ME3, even if barely impactful?

Anyone? this is why i haven't started ME3 yet. :(

bengraven

Chobot has just taken the award from MaleShep for Worst Acting in a Bioware game.

Surprisingly, despite him being my LEAST favorite actor of all time, I'm actually not minding Freddie Prinze Jr. He just became my second least favorite, with Jason Marsden taking over.

Jason Marsden makes me so furious I refused to put Boone in my party in New Vegas. I don't mind throwing Vega in a ME3 party. Who knows, by the end of the game he may become my third least favorite person, swapping places with Justin Long.

I had read somewhere that there was going to be a time limit for some missions in this game. I assumed it would tell you which mission were like that and which weren't... They don't.

Goodbye Grissom Academy...

Top Bottom