• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Ok, so apparently people are so pissed with the ending that they filled a complaint with FTC. I haven't played the game (WHERE IS THIS DAMN FACE FIX, BIOWARE?!), but I'm really not sure if I have to anymore. Could someone tell me without SPOILERS please, is it an open ending and we have to wait for real ending as DLC or is this just a shit ending?

Shit ending that leaves no real room to maneuver into a better position. (without a saw and some strong glue)

consider the end open/hidden meaning end.
i would say it was "not"shit end.
i really do think that dlc is on its way.

btw if u have completed the game,pm will send u a youtube link for same.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Shit ending with plot holes, no closure for many of the team, too familiar to previous big games, the way the medium was told was totally against the way the ME games have worked to that point, new concept that came out of nowhere with no story-telling links from any of the previous games, slapped in the face by a message saying there will be DLC.

is it for real?

subversus

FFS.

Ok, if I liked the ending to ME2 will I like this ending?

I'd wait for DLC but I'm really not sure if I can manage to stay spoiler-free during this year.

this is the last Bioware game I bought until they make a timeless masterpiece. And I'm totally serious here. No studio this gen shat on me this much.

FFS.

I'd wait for DLC but I'm really not sure if I can manage to stay spoiler-free during this year.

this is the last Bioware game I bought until they make a timeless masterpiece. And I'm totally serious here. No studio this gen shat on me this much.

the end as said before is open ended/hidden and dlc would be the answer.

take my word enjoy the game,the game has hell lot to offer.

when the dlc comes out all will hail it as a masterpeice.

subversus

the end as said before is open ended/hidden and dlc would be the answer.

ok, so it's open ended then. If I wasn't a frequent visitor of gaming sites and a twitter user I'd wait. But this shit will get spoiled in the first paragraph of a news piece about upcoming DLC and some snarky comments on Twitter will follow.

The ending shouldn't be offered as DLC, no matter how greedy they are, period. This is the last Bioware game I bought simply because I can't be sure if the shipped game is complete in both software and content sense.

ok, so it's open ended then. If I wasn't a frequent visitor of gaming sites and a twitter user I'd wait. But this shit will get spoiled in the first paragraph of a news piece about upcoming DLC and some snarky comments on Twitter will follow.

The ending shouldn't be offered as DLC, no matter how greedy they are, period. This is the last Bioware game I bought simply because I can't be sure if the shipped game is complete in both software and content sense.

agreed totally,but i think it is also a result of leaks early on in the cycle.

Dany

Banned

The game has an ending. The message is meant to show that you can play DLC with that shepard even if you beat the game.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Ah.

Seems all my achievement progress stats have reset.
77/5000 kills, 4/27 missions on Insane..

This sucks.

Dany

Banned
Ah.

Seems all my achievement progress stats have reset.
77/5000 kills, 4/27 missions on Insane..

This sucks.

I was checking that out but I still got the Eden Prime collect the 3 things achievement even as my accomplishments doesn't reflect that. So, i dunno how well that menu reflects achievement tracking.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I think I know when it happened. I booted up, the game yesterday and it was like I had never played before. I had to sign in with my EA account, there was no Resume option and it wanted me to go through Kinect tutorials again. Even though my saves were still there. Wasn't until today where I thought check the Accomplishments menu.

Reading around the net, seems I'm not the first. Pretty much kills any interes in playing for awhile.

After playing through Mass Effect 1 and 2 in normal/soldier, i decided to switch to hard/vanguard....

Why the hell does the vanguard has that little snobby avatar in the OP???

Is it because it's supposed to be stronger....

or is it because it sucks so much that you have to be a demigod to master it? :)

I am not sure if it's because of the harder level (ME2 normal/soldier was a total cakewalk, especially with a nasty sniper rifle) or the vanguard run, but ME3 is kicking my ass right now. There are no easy missions, and barely any easy fights. The main power of the vanguard should be renamed 'teleport to death', since it seems to consist in throwing me in the middle of every enemy around (usually with a couple of turrets set up for good measure), with a weapon (shotgun) barely doing damage above the standard rifle (and seemingly lower than sniper), but with decreased range and accuracy. I must be doing something wrong :)
I am sure there are very powerful shotguns, but i don't want to read a guide to rush towards the strongest shottie of the game.

I am still having fun, though. It's just much much harder than i expected. I might switch out my handgun for a rifle.

I hope the new ending, if any, will be out by the time i finish the game.

i-Lo

There are additional choices. It depends on a bunch of different things (from ME2 and 3), that quest you skipped among them.

That's why later today, I will replaying the main quest now that I have done all the side quest on the planet itself. Plus I am pure paragon from ME 1 & 2.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
You guys need to stop focusing on the end. :p

Focus on the journey, since that's the best part of the game. Some of you will like the end as is, and some have. There's nothing inherently bad about that.

BW's PR has recently released that there's no new ending; however, they pulled that statement because they want to remain vague. So don't hold your breath. Enjoy the game as is.

With this talk of where the series should go next, I'd love a game about a C-Sec detective (Garrus?) on the Citadel prior to ME1. I don't know what genre it would be or how it would play, I just think it would be an awesome concept. Plus it would be nice to have a game that really explores the Citadel for once.

rozay

Banned
After playing through Mass Effect 1 and 2 in normal/soldier, i decided to switch to hard/vanguard....

Why the hell does the vanguard has that little snobby avatar in the OP???

Is it because it's supposed to be stronger....

or is it because it sucks so much that you have to be a demigod to master it? :)

I am not sure if it's because of the harder level (ME2 normal/soldier was a total cakewalk, especially with a nasty sniper rifle) or the vanguard run, but ME3 is kicking my ass right now. There are no easy missions, and barely any easy fights. The main power of the vanguard should be renamed 'teleport to death', since it seems to consist in throwing me in the middle of every enemy around (usually with a couple of turrets set up for good measure), with a weapon (shotgun) barely doing damage above the standard rifle (and seemingly lower than sniper), but with decreased range and accuracy. I must be doing something wrong :)
I am sure there are very powerful shotguns, but i don't want to read a guide to rush towards the strongest shottie of the game.

I am still having fun, though. It's just much much harder than i expected. I might switch out my handgun for a rifle.

Watch some YouTube videos on how to play. The game is incredibly easy as a vanguard because they break everything.

Flunkie

Banned
Alright so the Datapad app for iPhone/iPad is actually pretty cool. The inbox has little messages from the characters corresponding to the events that just happened in-game. Neat little touch. The Galaxy at War part is pretty simple and/or dumb. Kinda like AC: Brotherhood where'd you'd send your assassins on missions, jus extremely dumbed down.. if you can dumb down stuff like that. The last "useful" part is the codex, but I've stayed away from that in fear of spoilers.

As for Mass Effect: Infiltrator.. it's pretty ok. I think it looks beautiful and is a step in the right direction as far as iOS games go with shooters, but the controls still feel a tad bit stiff and uncooperative. Game can be frustrating at times when you have to keep replaying sections due to the controls. I am still squeezing enjoyment out of it on the go, though, if for no other reason than me being completely addicted to the MP in ME3 and getting quick fixes on iOS somehow scratches that itch.

MG310

Anyone else having an issue with the game locking up at the end of conversations on 360? The system seems to hang for 10-15 seconds at the end of every one for me.

Kurtofan

FFS.

The game is good, it's just the ending that's bad.
It's well worth playing.

The ending isn't incomplete though.
I don't think they had any plans for ending DLC, it's nothing certain yet, maybe the backlash will make them decide to redo it, but that's not sure at all.

Kurtofan

I don't look at games like that. I value them as a whole. If the ending is bad the game isn't good too.

I understand what you mean, but one of the problem of the ending is that it feels disconnected from the rest of the series.I'm not going to say more since I wouldn't want to spoil anything, but the rest of the game is very much great Mass Effect material.
It's really the very last minutes, before that there are a lot of great moments.

Honestly if you played ME and ME2, not playing ME3 because of the very last moments of the game would be shame in my opinion.

I don't look at games like that. I value them as a whole. If the ending is bad the game isn't good too.

I understand what you mean, but one of the problem of the ending is that it feels disconnected from the rest of the series.I'm not going to say more since I wouldn't want to spoil anything, but the rest of the game is very much great Mass Effect material.
It's really the very last minutes, before that there are a lot of great moments.

Honestly if you played ME and ME2, not playing ME3 because of the very last moments of the game would be shame in my opinion.

the game is gr8 for me from start to end.there are countless small and big incidents that just amazing.you have to expereince them for your self.
the end has something sinister hidden in it.find out for yourself(no i don't mean a bad end)

Uchip

Banned
is it just me or
does the sex scene before illusive mans base mission get cut short and sheppard starts chasing little boys
kind of an awkward disposition for him

Kurtofan

the game is gr8 for me from start to end.there are countless small and big incidents that just amazing.you have to expereince them for your self.
the end has something sinister hidden in it.find out for yourself(no i don't mean a bad end)

Yeah honestly I wasn't angry or shocked when I first watched the ending myself, I was just sad Mass Effect was over.
Reading people's reactions, I understand its defaults and I'd like something more, but I think the backlash is a tad too much.

subversus

well, I have to play it I guess. The worst that can happen is that I won't buy Bioware games anymore and save time and money.

Feature

Banned
I can't seem to find new squad members... I've got only 5:
- The body builder
- The doctor like alien girl
- The sniper guy (garrus I think)
- The prothean
- EDI

I'm already heartbroken I cant have
Grunt
in my squad, but where the fuck are the other squad members?
Miranda
is probably dead if I check the internet, because I ignored her invites to the citadel and I just came across the
black guy
from ME2 which I think is a retard character too. Not sure how far I'm in the game, but the last mission I'm doing now is
saving the scientist from cerberus.
Hope I get some new team members though. And why can't the rest of my squad carry more than 2 weapons whilst I can carry 5?

Where's the girl that can warp all over the place (kasumi or something?)??

- The body builder
- The prothean
- EDI

Grunt
Miranda
is probably dead if I check the internet, because I ignored her invites to the citadel and I just came across the
black guy
from ME2 which I think is a retard character too. Not sure how far I'm in the game, but the last mission I'm doing now is
Hope I get some new team members though. And why can't the rest of my squad carry more than 2 weapons whilst I can carry 5?

grunt,kasumi etc will not join your squad,they will be in story some other way.
Play the game more all those will join your squad will join in the main mission so no worries.

Balphon

Grunt
Miranda
black guy

You had me going for a minute.

Though, if you are being serious, I'd greatly suggest you not carry five weapons around, given the egregious ability cooldown penalty inherent in doing so.

AB12

why can't the rest of my squad carry more than 2 weapons whilst I can carry 5?
Previous post answered your squad mates question, it is also better for you to carry less weapons unless you are a soldier class. With less weapons you get a power recharge bonus.(up to 200% plus recharge speed with proper contamination of weapons)

Feature

Banned
I was being serious and yes my shepard is a soldier. I never use my abilities. I make my team use them and just gun down everything with incediary ammo so don't care about ability cooldowns.

Previous post answered your squad mates question, it is also better for you to carry less weapons unless you are a soldier class. With less weapons you get a power recharge bonus.(up to 200% plus recharge speed with proper contamination of weapons)

I use just the Mattock assault rifle with my Sentinel class and while I only got 167% recharge speed, the recharge speeds on most of my abilities is around 2 seconds. Seriously. Anything above the 150% recharge speed is enough especially considering upgrading the abilities decreases recharge speed as well. Better to pick one great weapon where you can easily annihilate enemies with, then one of the weakest weapons in the game: the SMG.

REV 09

Shit ending that leaves no real room to maneuver into a better position. (without a saw and some strong glue)

This just isn't true. Only 1 ending makes it difficult to build on. ME2 also had an ending that closed the series, but it wasn't canon and BW wouldn't even allow you to import that one.

vanguard folks. Is it even possible to avoid the '1hit kills' banshees and the space 'ogres' do?

My vanguard shep only carries 2 weapons to min out biotic charging time. Basically I can charge and after the hit take a few steps back while shooting the creature, and then charge again. Repeat until dead. I defeated a boss that way, too.

It is actually kind of game breaking as I am invincible during the charge and any shield damage I take while not charging is repaired by the time I finish my next charge.

jediyoshi

I was being serious and yes my shepard is a soldier. I never use my abilities. I make my team use them and just gun down everything with incediary ammo so don't care about ability cooldowns.
Do you actually find yourself using anything other than a short and long range weapon? At some point you're just out weighing your options to the wasted opportunity side, it's like playing Jedi Knight deliberately not using force powers.

Feature

Banned
no but I'm scared of going out of ammo :D I'm not deliberately not using my powers, I just find them 'uncool' and rather have the prothean blast everybody with his toxic shit while I lay waste with my fire ammo!

Carbonox

What is the best way to play Insanity as a Vanguard? I want to burn through as quick as possible. Due to the damage the enemies can lay on you quickly, I've been playing as if I'm a Soldier. Cover and Black Widow spam, whilst relying on powers from team-mates. Rinse and repeat. It is working but I sense that I'm doing it wrong.

Any other time (multiplayer or a different difficulty) and I can play Vanguard as it should be. In this case though...

What is the best way to play Insanity as a Vanguard? I want to burn through as quick as possible. Due to the damage the enemies can lay on you quickly, I've been playing as if I'm a Soldier. Cover and Black Widow spam, whilst relying on powers from team-mates. Rinse and repeat. It is working but I sense that I'm doing it wrong.

Any other time (multiplayer or a different difficulty) and I can play Vanguard as it should be. In this case though...

Abuse combat pausing to find your next charge target and keep Liara in your party for charging into biotic explosions. Carry a pistol and a smg to keep power recharge at 200%. I'd stay away from using nova much, but other than that I'm not finding it too much more difficult than my normal playthrough.

Trey

For all those those having trouble with Vanguard, do this:

spec into charge first, then either Nova or Assault Mastery. Get all the passives that decrease recharge time or increase power damage. Get the choice other than the chance based ones in the power tree splits. Carry a light shotgun (I ran with the Disciple in the end game, but the Eviscerator works fine) and one sidearm (I recommend the Phalanx). Upgrade your weapons as available to cut weight, primarily. Charge on cooldown. Win game.

pakkit

Banned
Yeah honestly I wasn't angry or shocked when I first watched the ending myself, I was just sad Mass Effect was over.
Reading people's reactions, I understand its defaults and I'd like something more, but I think the backlash is a tad too much.

"a tad."

Obviously, this isn't just about the ending. This issue incorporates what the gaming community views as a series of injustices committed against it from Bioware and EA the past year. Origin woes, DA2, Star Wars MMO, necessary DLC, and finally the ME3 ending.

The irony is that the ending is the least offensive part, to me. How you feel about it is subjective, yet because it's tied to the well-loved ME franchise and it's compounded by these other problems the ending seems to have gotten a huge amount of media attention.

It shouldn't turn gamers away, though. The game as a whole left me satisfied, and had some of the best missions in the ME series
like Tuchanka, geth network, Banshee intro mission

Carbonox

For all those those having trouble with Vanguard, do this:

spec into charge first, then either Nova or Assault Mastery. Get all the passives that decrease recharge time or increase power damage. Get the choice other than the chance based ones in the power tree splits. Carry a light shotgun (I ran with the Disciple in the end game, but the Eviscerator works fine) and one sidearm (I recommend the Phalanx). Upgrade your weapons as available to cut weight, primarily. Charge on cooldown. Win game.

And this makes Insanity piss easy? Is it recommended to charge around a big group of enemies though given the damage you can/will take? :lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
- The body builder
- The prothean
- EDI

Grunt
Miranda
black guy

The
"doctor like alien girl"?
You never played ME1 did you? :p

And you are missing 2 more crew members by the way. But none of them are from ME2.

no but I'm scared of going out of ammo :D I'm not deliberately not using my powers, I just find them 'uncool' and rather have the prothean blast everybody with his toxic shit while I lay waste with my fire ammo!

Powers "uncool"? Wait until you play an Adept and make your enemies go BOOM! with Singularity + Throw/Warp, great fun.

Top Bottom