• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Cheech

Just finished the game. I thought the ending was good. It worked for me.

I don't go into great detail, but I explained my rationale in the spoilers thread.

Trey

It's okay. It stops hurting after a few days.

It never hurt me. Harbinger left too soon.

ME3 squad wins because it's comprised primarily of the most significant members of the fiction, and you get unparalleled interaction with them. Some of the other characters are woefully underused, especially the second tier love interests (and there are clear tiers).

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
They should have combined ME2 and 3 into one big game of both character and priory missions. It's like one misses what the other has. I would have liked to learn more about James, but he didn't have a mission of his own.

I have to admit, with all the bitching, I thought ME3 has headed for poopville. I'm maybe about halfway through, and I am constantly impressed and moved by the story. Maybe It's because I sense the end coming? Maybe it's because I genuinely feel like I'm making a difference? Maybe it's because these characters feel almost like friends who I've spent a lot of time with? I don't know, but there have been some truly great moments.

Liara coming to you with her "project" in your quarters.
Thane's prayer, and after.
"I'm Garrus Vakarian! And this is my FAVORITE spot on the Citadel!"

While they definitely have made some missteps, and there are things here and there that bother me, it's still been an amazing ride.

DTKT

I have to admit, with all the bitching, I thought ME3 has headed for poopville. I'm maybe about halfway through, and I am constantly impressed and moved by the story. Maybe It's because I sense the end coming? Maybe it's because I genuinely feel like I'm making a difference? Maybe it's because these characters feel almost like friends who I've spent a lot of time with? I don't know, but there have been some truly great moments.

While they definitely have made some missteps, and there are things here and there that bother me, it's still been an amazing ride.

The game falls apart in the last 10 minutes. That said, the 30 hours that it's going to take you there are amazing.

Dresden

It's an awesome ride until
the very, very end.

My advice for anyone who finishes it is to take a break and let a week or so pass before indulging any wish to break the discs in half or send Bioware angry letters.

DJMicLuv

Quick question...

I'm just about to start the 'endgame'
- attack on illusive man's base -
and my TMS is 6797 with EMS at 3398. Am I good to go? I've done all sub-missions and scans but I'd read of 4-5000 EMS being an ideal figure at the end of the game?

Just want to check before I get stuck in!

MIKEAL

Banned
Quick question...

I'm just about to start the 'endgame'
- attack on illusive man's base -
and my TMS is 6797 with EMS at 3398. Am I good to go? I've done all sub-missions and scans but I'd read of 4-5000 EMS being an ideal figure at the end of the game?

Just want to check before I get stuck in!

doesnt matter, just enjoy what little ride you have left before the end

It's an awesome ride until
the very, very end.

My advice for anyone who finishes it is to take a break and let a week or so pass before indulging any wish to break the discs in half or send Bioware angry letters.

The game falls apart in the last 10 minutes. That said, the 30 hours that it's going to take you there are amazing.

shpeard was indoctered,ifu chose to destory u just resisted that and woke up.

dankir

Beat it today and got the best ending and it still the greatest series of gaming I've ever played in the last 22 years. I watched a few videos on plotholes of the endings, which made me even sadder.

FIX IT BIOWARE!!

Sorry, just to be clear as I've edited my post but I'm at the part
just before the attack on Illusive Man's base
so maybe not quite 'end game' yet.

no the part u mentioned is last part to add to your ems.
and this mission only given you abt 100 pts.so ya it is the last part.play mp and bring your ems to 4k.

malfcn

Finally finished some stuff in ME2 (missing 3 achievements, another day..). Time to move into ME3..

Who the fuck designed the CE packaging? Let's put tape on everything! It peeled off a little bit of the side of the box that holds the comic and art book, so not a huge deal. But yah, doesn't seem smart. And, the discs feel like they are going to explode off the hub. Could the spindle be any tighter?

MG310

So I just started the series a few weeks ago, put 22 hours into ME1 to finish (missed the point of no return or I would've done more side stuff) then about 30 into ME2, and I have 15 in 3 so far.

Not liking the Gears inspired additions to Shepard's movement - the only thing the roll has done is annoy me when I'm trying to pick up items. The randomly inserted encumbrance mechanic is also odd - going over on weapon weight slows down the recharge time on your powers.

Also, a small thing but in ME2 it would list who was on each deck of the Normandy when you went into the elevator, now you have to use the map. Plus having to walk through that security gate between the War Room and deck every single time is a minor annoyance as well - especially after how streamlined the Normandy became between 1 and 2.

So I just started the series a few weeks ago, put 22 hours into ME1 to finish (missed the point of no return or I would've done more side stuff) then about 30 into ME2, and I have 15 in 3 so far.

Not liking the Gears inspired additions to Shepard's movement - the only thing the roll has done is annoy me when I'm trying to pick up items. The randomly inserted encumbrance mechanic is also odd - going over on weapon weight slows down the recharge time on your powers.

Also, a small thing but in ME2 it would list who was on each deck of the Normandy when you went into the elevator, now you have to use the map. Plus having to walk through that security gate between the War Room and deck every single time is a minor annoyance as well - especially after how streamlined the Normandy became between 1 and 2.

liara's room ,the gun battery and the scanning reminded me of me1.
looks like while putting some thing of both games,they also wanted to put the stupid bio scanner load screen.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I finished this last night and I totally don't understand the near-universal hate. It ended much as I expected it too and was very fulfilling. Maybe it's to do with the choice I made at the end, but it felt like it made sense and had closure.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Beat it today and got the best ending and it still the greatest series of gaming I've ever played in the last 22 years. I watched a few videos on plotholes of the endings, which made me even sadder.

FIX IT BIOWARE!!

The cycle can not be broken. You have proved this.

spekkeh

Banned
I am currently playing ME1 again and this is only true for the most obvious aspects - performance, graphics and combat did see quite a large improvement - but in regards to mission structure and story, ME1 still does a better job, especially in pacing.

whatt

Well we're diametrically opposed here, especially the pacing was way off to me in ME1. Getting off the boring citadel took forever (a lull in the story should happen midway, not in the beginning) and most of the missions dragged on forever (the last room of the compound oh yeah, no wait our princess is in another castle, here's another mako session to yet another compound). ME2 on the other hand grabbed you from the beginning and was much more diverse and quicker paced, where any lull was player-driven.

Played only four hours of ME3 so far, but erm, hope there's not too many of these horde mode defend the fort parts, because I don't like them. Also I was quite fine with ME2's streamlining. The micromanagement of the weapons in ME3, while a bit smarter than ME1, is still quite tedious. ME3 so far feels a bit of a step back from the awesome Shadow Broker DLC I played a couple of days ago.

Snookie

So does the (collectors edition) strategy guide that I regret buying explain how to get a good ending or are they all bad? I've been working on that galactic readiness stuff as well and right now everything is at 70%. Does it even matter. I honestly have no clue. lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So does the (collectors edition) strategy guide that I regret buying explain how to get a good ending or are they all bad? I've been working on that galactic readiness stuff as well and right now everything is at 70%. Does it even matter. I honestly have no clue. lol

There is no "good" ending. The important part is your green bar. Galactic Readiness that you improve from multiplayer just allow you to skip fetch quests in the campagin to fill that bar. But even then, the differences are minor at best whether you fill that bar or not.

Snookie

Ah ok. My green bar is about 3/4 full I think.
I just finished the genophage quest and mordin died
so i'm not really sure where i'm at in terms of things. I've been doing a lot of the side quests first.

Bisnic

Ah ok. My green bar is about 3/4 full I think.
I just finished the genophage quest and mordin died
so i'm not really sure where i'm at in terms of things. I've been doing a lot of the side quests first.

You still have a lot left to do. I'd say you're not even halfway done. I beated the game the first time with the readiness still at 50% and the bar was fully green way before i reached the end. But i also did every sidequests i could.

Derrick01

Banned
Guys, go back and play Mass Effect. It doesn't hold up as well as some of you think.

I've been playing it recently and it's a much more ambitious game than 3 and especially 2.

You remember that beginning base in Noveria? There's like 4 or 5 different ways to get the pass you need to get out of there, most revolving around talking and scheming your way out.

In ME2 and 3 you'd have 1 way. Find a mass group of enemies carrying the key and blow them away.

Bisnic

I've been playing it recently and it's a much more ambitious game than 3 and especially 2.

You remember that beginning base in Noveria? There's like 4 or 5 different ways to get the pass you need to get out of there, most revolving around talking and scheming your way out.

In ME2 and 3 you'd have 1 way. Find a mass group of enemies carrying the key and blow them away.

I did it the nice way the first time on my paragon Shepard, but then i read about telling the salarian boss about the woman spy working for him and them killing each other. I knew what to do on my Renegade run next. :lol

Derrick01

Banned
I did it the nice way the first time on my paragon Shepard, but then i read about telling the salarian boss about the woman spy working for him and them killing each other. I knew what to do on my Renegade run next. :lol

Yeah I've played through the game so much that I usually take the quick and easy way out. I pick up that illegal mod for the hanar bro and then instead of turning it in to him I turn it into the boss and rat him out. He gives a pass for that :lol

Replicant

The guide is massive fail. Not only it doesn't tell you how many options you have, it also doesn't clearly explains which ending you should go for if you want certain things to happen.

rififi

whatt

Well we're diametrically opposed here, especially the pacing was way off to me in ME1. Getting off the boring citadel took forever (a lull in the story should happen midway, not in the beginning) and most of the missions dragged on forever (the last room of the compound oh yeah, no wait our princess is in another castle, here's another mako session to yet another compound). ME2 on the other hand grabbed you from the beginning and was much more diverse and quicker paced, where any lull was player-driven.

Played only four hours of ME3 so far, but erm, hope there's not too many of these horde mode defend the fort parts, because I don't like them. Also I was quite fine with ME2's streamlining. The micromanagement of the weapons in ME3, while a bit smarter than ME1, is still quite tedious. ME3 so far feels a bit of a step back from the awesome Shadow Broker DLC I played a couple of days ago.

I know a lot of people prefer the pacing of 2 and 3 because it puts you in the action much faster and more often with less aimless walking/exploration - I definitely understand where you're coming from. I guess I have different expectations when playing an open world rpg. I enjoy the exploration and the lull, it allows me to take in the surroundings without rushing from one place to another. I agree it can be tedious, but at least ME1 citadel had the transit/fast travel system so you didn't have to walk everywhere.
Then again, in general I like slower pace, where there is a gradual buildup (which is why I didn't have any problem with the pacing of 2001: A Space Odyssey or Drive).

Oh, and yeah, expect a lot more horde mode in ME3.

i-Lo

Yesterday, I saw a vid showing how to really play as a vanguard and it looked mighty visceral. As a former Infiltrator who likes combat at far to medium distances I did not truly capitalize on vanguard's strengths. I tried the other way yesterday (a fan of charge and shock wave) and all of a sudden my experience with game's combat system was elevated to a whole new level.

malfcn

Yesterday, I saw a vid showing how to really play as a vanguard and it looked mighty visceral. As a former Infiltrator who likes combat at far to medium distances I did not truly capitalize on vanguard's strengths. I tried the other way yesterday (a fan of charge and shock wave) and all of a sudden my experience with game's combat system was elevated to a whole new level.

Link? I am an Infiltrator tempted by the prospect of going Vanguard.

rhino4evr

I'm playing a Fresh game without any Preloaded character and there is a lot of stuff missing. Sucks for people who haven't played all the way through the series. They basically remove content for new fans. Lame

EliCash

God damn Hanar Diplomat glitch. Not going to be able to 100% this unless Bioware somehow patch it.

Something similar happened in Mass Effect 2 when I had to deliver a package to someone on Omega, but it wouldn't let me talk to them. Done everything else apart from that, very annoying.

Is the Hanar Diplomat side-quest the only time you see
Kasumi?
I liked
Kasumi
, so that would suck.

I'm playing a Fresh game without any Preloaded character and there is a lot of stuff missing. Sucks for people who haven't played all the way through the series. They basically remove content for new fans. Lame

I suppose, but I'm not sure why you'd want to jump into 3 without the experience of 1 & 2. That's the best part about the game, running into old squad-mates and the whole nostalgia factor that that builds.

Achtius

God damn Hanar Diplomat glitch. Not going to be able to 100% this unless Bioware somehow patch it.

Something similar happened in Mass Effect 2 when I had to deliver a package to someone on Omega, but it wouldn't let me talk to them. Done everything else apart from that, very annoying.

Is the Hanar Diplomat side-quest the only time you see
Kasumi?
I liked
Kasumi
, so that would suck.

you see her one more time later in the game.

Bisnic

you see her one more time later in the game.

Really? I only saw her once. Same with
Zaeed
. Well, at least he stand in the refugees, i guess.

Edit : Are you talking about the part on
Earth
with all the other ME2 members?

Top Bottom