• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wait, you can place Turrets as Infiltrator? What power is this? I've been mostly just sniping and burning people alive as Infiltrator.

Nah, you can use Sabotage and make the turrets turn on the enemies and kill them for a bit. Also works on the Atlas and all Geth units.

Combat Engineers are clever bastards about the turret placement, but it works to your advantage here.

Replicant

Nah, you can use Sabotage and make the turrets turn on the enemies and kill them for a bit. Also works on the Atlas and all Geth units.

Combat Engineers are clever bastards about the turret placement, but it works to your advantage here.

Oh right, I forget that Turrets are technically mechs. Yay! Insanity is going to be more fun than I thought.

Hell yeah! Insanity should be a breeze. I'm maxing out Sabotage and Tactical Cloak ASAP.

Vanguard is an absolute blast to play with. Turrets and banshees are the only things that will give you issues.

Best way to deal with turrets as a vanguard is to take a companion that can quickly take down shields and then have Liara Warp the turret to finish it off. Alternatively, you could also take shield drain as your bonus power. Quite a few enemies in the game have shields on them so it has a lot of use and it's also decent at taking down biotic barriers in a pinch.

As for the build: Spec for 200% power recharge, Charge->Nova->Charge. My powers were recharging so quickly, I would be able to charge a group of enemies, knock them into the air with nova and charge again before they hit the ground. My personal favourite gun to use for this build a Wraith.

As for the build: Spec for 200% power recharge, Charge->Nova->Charge. My powers were recharging so quickly, I would be able to charge a group of enemies, knock them into the air with nova and charge again before they hit the ground. My personal favourite gun to use for this build a Wraith.

Isn't it a bit broken? I am debating Vanguard vs. Adept for next game, at least with an Adept you have to chain different powers to get biotic explosions.

rouken

Just take Liara with you as a Vanguard, Singualirity, Charge, BOOM!

im doing singularity, charge and nova. it feels so good.

nQkqf.jpg

lol garrus. you're the best alien friend i have.

rouken

uh oh, i read that.. :/
there's a lot of surprises in this game and i give props to bioware for that. can't wait to see the ending and know what the backlash is all about

Sorry for reposting my question from the other page, but I just want to make sure I get this right on my first playthrough. First playthrough in an ME game is sacred to me.

I'm a little anxious about my ME3 playthrough regarding my romancing of Ashley. First off, I romanced Ashley in ME1 and Miranda in ME2. I didn't realize that I could give Ashley a gift in the hospital at the beginning of the game until now (I'm about 18 hours into the game by now...lol). I just got her in my squad permanently, after
the Cerberus attack on the Citadel.

My concerns are these: When I encountered Miranda early on in the game, I told her that things hadn't changed. I figured that by doing so I wasn't locking myself into anything permanent at that point. This action, coupled with the fact that I didn't give Ashley the gift in the hospital, makes me worried that it might not let me fully romance Ashley despite the vibe that things seem to be going well so far. She and I have not yet discussed Miranda, though, which I assume will happen at some point.

Can anyone who followed a similar playthrough put my mind at ease without spoilering anything? I just would like to know if I screwed myself over or if I'm on the right track as long as I keep choosing the Paragon options in convos with her and make sure I only pursue her for the rest of the game.

Leotarius

Yes you can still romance Ashley even if you didn't give a gift to her and told Miranda things hadn't changed. Just don't do anything romantic with Miranda in the future and you should be good.

(I was)

Yager

Banned
20 hours into the game and I've got the feeling that characters are better developed. Obviously, in general terms they're all almost the same than in the previous games, but there are little details that help us know them better.

BTW, I was in tears when
Joker and Garrus where telling jokes in the Normandy.

ultron87

End of Quarian Missions question/spoiler:
So I let the Geth upgrade themselves and they killed all the Quarians after Tali couldn't talk the fleet down and then she jumped off a cliff. I am fine with this outcome, because consequences for my choices are cool.

According to my friend he also did the same thing, but Tali talked the Quarians out of attacking and thus there was way less tragedy. Why did this work for him but not me?

Kimaka

Started the game this week and I'm a bit underwhelmed by it. I love some parts of it but there are also numerous things in this game that bothers me and ruins the experience. Still overall a pretty good game.

Poor Joker is Geordi in this game. Does he get any
Citadel conversations that aren't about EDI if you persuade them to not date?

Patryn

So I let the Geth upgrade themselves and they killed all the Quarians after Tali couldn't talk the fleet down and then she jumped off a cliff. I am fine with this outcome, because consequences for my choices are cool.

According to my friend he also did the same thing, but Tali talked the Quarians out of attacking and thus there was way less tragedy. Why did this work for him but not me?

There is a system in place that covers your ME2 and ME3 choices. You can earn a total of 7 points by doing things like:

ME2
Not getting Tali Exiled - 1 point
Resolving the Legion/Tali argument in ME2 using either the paragon or renegade option - 2 points
Destroy the Geth Heretics - 2 points

ME3
Saving the Quarian Admiral - 1 point
Stopping the Geth Fighters - 1 point

If you earn 5 points (which is impossible using just ME3 choices), you can achieve peace between the two people. If you have less than that, you have to pick a side and the other gets wiped out.

ultron87

Oh, okay. That somewhat makes sense. I must've ended up with 4 points.

It would've been nice if the game had communicated just slightly more why things happened the way they did so as to make the consequences of stuff from previous games clear.

Like how in the Tuchanka missions it was clearly spelled out that
destroying Maelon's data led to Eve's death.

Did you have enough paragon points?

ultron87

I also appreciated how in that case the (quarian spoilers again + Tuchanka spoilers) 'Paragon' choice
was the one that led to mass slaughter of the previously friendly alien species and the death of a major squad member.

On Tuchanka they made the renegade stuff pretty much straight up evil since you had to gun down Mordin. I think it'd be better if you had to shoot a squad member to do the "right" thing.

Just finished it on the 360. It was easily one of the greatest and most polished games i have ever played. But with that said, i think i still like the first Mass Effect a little better. It had the perfect atmosphere, and a lot of exploration. And yes the ending on ME3 was crappy. The multiplayer is actually really fun. That was a suprise to me.

Patryn

I also appreciated how in that case the (quarian spoilers again + Tuchanka spoilers) 'Paragon' choice
was the one that led to mass slaughter of the previously friendly alien species and the death of a major squad member.

On Tuchanka they made the renegade stuff pretty much straight up evil since you had to gun down Mordin. I think it'd be better if you had to shoot a squad member to do the "right" thing.

If you don't have enough points, yeah. Otherwise, paragon is the right thing to do. The kicker being is that unless you know about the points system and how many you have, you don't know if you'll be able to defuse the situation or not until the opportunity comes.

prophecy0

That scene may be may favourite scene in the game,
followed by Garrus' last words to Shep.
Uhm, spoiler...

You may want to add that this is an endgame spoiler, NOT a spoiler about that scene. I haven't quite beaten the game yet and am upset that I read the spoiler (although
it's to be expected really
).

bigace33

Can Tali hack those turrets?

ShutEye

So I cracked and started the single player last night. I want to experience the apparent mess that is the 'ending' before bioware patches it so I broke a promise to not start without the face import fixed.

I mostly got my guy right but there is something a little off with the mouth. Too much teeth I think.

And the fact there isn't the film grain filter is really annoying.

I just don't get what Bioware was thinking with all these changes & glitches. they must have known they would piss off people who'd stuck with the series since the beginning. It just feels like I'm being nickle & dimed to death with cut corners.

I don't think I've ever been as disappointed with what still amounts to a really good game.

You may want to add that this is an endgame spoiler, NOT a spoiler about that scene. I haven't quite beaten the game yet and am upset that I read the spoiler (although
it's to be expected really
).

You're probably interpreting it wrong, then. It's not that spoilerific.

I'm thoroughly disappointed with the lack of branching paths.

Legion dies anyhow. The rachni exist anyhow. Mordin dies anyhow. Any squadmate that died in 2 is replaced with a reskin and stripped of dialog.
Really, really disappointed. The things the game does, it does great. The thing that it lacks, it lacks severely.

Thinking of this, does anyone know of a let's play of 3 with a save where everyone but Shep died in ME2?

big_z

Just started playing. When you first go to the citadel and can choose from the two doctors which is the better choice in terms of interesting dialog through out the game?

Just started playing. When you first go to the citadel and can choose from the two doctors which is the better choice in terms of interesting dialog through out the game?

Chakwas just sits in her chair in Sickbay and drinks herself into oblivion. Do you really want your medical officer liquored up?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Do you want to take the Normandy's doctor you've been with since ME1, or some simple Citadel doctor you helped in a small sidequest back then?

No need to thank me!

big_z

Chakwas just sits in her chair in Sickbay and drinks herself into oblivion. Do you really want your medical officer liquored up?

This is why I asked if the other dr is any more interesting. Two games and all i can remember is that Chakwas likes to drink. If the other girl is just as useless in dialog options I'll stick with the drunk just for history reasons.

Question about ME2.

At the end of jack's mission when your given the option to let her walk around her room; is it suppose to cut away to the movie like that? It looks like a glitch. Im playing on PS3.

MNC

IIRC in the PC version you had different points of interaction and Jack would speak about it. "This is the place where I killed that officer..." or whatever.

IIRC in the PC version you had different points of interaction and Jack would speak about it. "This is the place where I killed that officer..." or whatever.

360 too. And when you had the final one, she'd say something along the lines of "fuck it, let's blow this place to hell" and then it'd cut to the cutscene.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Aww dammit. i thought it was 4000, and i did the same thing you did. every single quest, plus everything perfect. i did mess up on 2 or3 or those spectre decisions though.

4000 is fine. The only difference between 4000 and 5000 is that
5000 gives you the leeway to let Anderson die, and still get the best ending.
<-- endgame spoilers

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yep, i believe she has Sabotage as well

She does, but since she joins fairly late you miss out on it for a lot of missions.

For the Geth/Quarian thing, the renegade choice of siding with the Quarians has a 3 part renegade trigger where you keep shooting Legion because he won't let shepard stop him from uploading the data. I guess it depends on what you think the "right" thing is.

Drakken

About 8 or 9 hours in. Made my first return trip to the Citadel (after Palavin and before Surkesh) and then completed the From Ashes DLC last night. I know this has been discussed to death, but I can't believe From Ashes isn't just part of the game itself. This is HUGE story-wise - it should be something everyone sees, and it should happen naturally as part of the story. Would have been a really neat surprise. Now, it's not a surprise at all (since you know what you're downloading), and a lot of people won't see it due to either not having XBL or not wanting to pay an extra $10. And I'm sure some people will wait till they finish the game then buy it when they want more content, at which point it won't matter anymore. From what I've heard, having
a Prothean in your party
results in some very different conversations and moments throughout the course of the game, and I can easily see why that would be. Really poor decision on Bioware's part.

As for the game itself:

-Combat is so much better now that I went with a Sentinel instead of a Soldier (as I was in the first two games); the combo of biotics and guns is a lot of fun. I almost feel like my powers recharge too fast when I go with a two-weapon loadout.
-Not a fan of picking up sidequests by walking around eavesdropping on people. I've gotten like 10 random quests to find things and bring them to people, and no real motivation to actually do any of them.
-Sexy
EDI
? Can that even be called fanservice? Were people actually clamoring for her to
have a sexy physical form?
It's funny 'cause of
Joker
, but seriously, Bioware.
-Mansell's piano music is really nice, as expected, but I feel like it's wasted in a game like this, due to all the generic Hollywood action movie dialogue and the awkward character interactions. I know they were talking a lot about this being a more personal story for Shepard with a lot of emotional moments between the characters, but it just isn't working for me. Everything comes off as forced. Now I'm wondering if ME1 was like this too - it's been too long for me to accurately remember.
-Speaking of awkward character interactions - I was walking around the Citadel when I came across one of those "Support this person or that person" situations. I pressed A, Shepard began to make what should have been a poignant statement to a young couple about staying strong or something like that, but as he did so he started stretching and yawning. Totally took me out of the moment. That's a small nitpick, and it's not like it would have been too impactful anyway, but that kind of thing seems sloppy.

All that said, I'm still enjoying the game. Plus I'm really, really early. I'm sure there's a lot of goodness to come.

I've played through the ps3 version like three times and have never heard of this issue before.

Well i've loaded that part 3 times and the samething happens. It doesn't let me walk around.

ME2 has tons of glitches. Sound drops outs, magically appearing on top of an object and getting stuck, and i had my first game freeze last night. And now this.

Top Bottom