• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Serious

My guy is level 25(or 26). How long do you think it would take to get to 30 in me2? I still have the other "big" dlc to go (excluding broker).

Have you done all the main quests/loyalty missions? What about the sidequests and N7 missions, or even the Firewalker DLC? Have you beaten ME2 before, which gives you a 25% XP boost? When I did my Adept Insanity run (the last non-NG+ run I've done in a while), I reached 30 with a decent amount to go before I ran out of content. Even if you haven't beaten ME2 before, I think it should be possible to hit 30 if you do everything there is to do. And if you don't go all the way, you should still retain your level when importing.

When I replayed it in January I had to do all of the DLC and side quests to hit 30 before the end. I was 30 midway through the suicide mission. You cut it close but you can do it in a single play through if you have the DLC.
What do you mean by side quests?

All I have to do is the DLC I have (Shadow Broker and Kasumi) and the main game. By the time I get into the last fight with the BabbyReaper I hit level 30.

Rengoku

Reports on the PS3 version have said that the framerate mostly clears up after the intro, if that helps at all.

Just wanted to chime in again, after 20 hours of play on the PS3 version. Yeah... the framerate is still pretty bad during cutscenes, it seemed to get better after the intro, but it turned out to be just that there were fewer characters on screen. When the big cutscene action sequences come up, it gets really choppy like a slideshow. Pop-in seems worse now further into the game. I'm still sticking with it though, the game is soo good apart from the framerate.

EDIT: I'm playing on one of those fat 80gb PS3s if that makes any difference.

Sotha Sil

I've played every class in both games and my least favorite would have to be Sentinels.

I used to feel the same, but they're not bad for an Insanity run. I really like the human bomb aspect; having a Krogan charge you to see him propelled in the other direction by your armor blast is quite fun.

Weapons suck, though.

Just wanted to chime in again, after 20 hours of play on the PS3 version. Yeah... the framerate is still pretty bad during cutscenes, it seemed to get better after the intro, but it turned out to be just that there were fewer characters on screen. When the big cutscene action sequences come up, it gets really choppy like a slideshow. Pop-in seems worse now further into the game. I'm still sticking with it though, the game is soo good apart from the framerate.

Not good to hear for the people buying the Ps3 version.

Can you customize your squadmates?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What do you mean by side quests?

All I have to do is the DLC I have (Shadow Broker and Kasumi) and the main game. By the time I get into the last fight with the BabbyReaper I hit level 30.

The missions you get from scanning planets. I was playing the PS3 version though so I didn't have an ME1 character imported so I didn't have that XP bonus. As far as I know, the only way to hit 30 without an imported character in one playthrough is to do all the side stuff.

:/ That's a damn shame. Oh well, the framerate in the ME2 cutscenes on the PS3 version could be pretty bad at times but it didn't bother me all that much.

I used to feel the same, but they're not bad for an Insanity run. I really like the human bomb aspect; having a Krogan charge you to see him propelled in the other direction by your armor blast is quite fun.

Weapons suck, though.

Ok... I will give the class that.

I still have much more fun Charging, Cloaking, Adrenalining, Singulariting, and Droning in comparison.

The missions you get from scanning planets. I was playing the PS3 version though so I didn't have an ME1 character imported so I didn't have that XP bonus. As far as I know, the only way to hit 30 without an imported character in one playthrough is to do all the side stuff.
Ah, I see the issue then.

I usually just take the XP bonus for granted.

All of my greivances would be fixed if the PC version just had damn controller support. FML.

Just to chime in here just because the PC does not have "official" joypad support does not mean it won't be playable with joypad. There are plenty of programs out there that can allow you to control non-joypad games with a joypad.

If I remember off the top of my head there is Xpadder and joytokey. Now obviously it isn't as ideal as having native joypad control in the game but if you really do find the mouse and keyboard to uncomfortable then there is a solution out there.

Cheska

I haven't been able to stop watching the launch trailer, I feel there is so much it does right. The music is perfect, it's certainly fits the atmosphere. My favorite part they showed was when you can see
the reflection of what was going on through Tali's visor
, it sent chills down my spine. Up until about a week and a half ago I wasn't overly excited about the game, I mean sure, I love Mass Effect and had my N7 Edition pre ordered, but it wasn't until recently when it hit me that the game is right around the corner. Now I can't stop thinking about it and wishing that I would have replayed ME2 on PS3 :(

I've never played ME with a controller. Is it that much better of an experience? I like having dedicated keys for powers and squad commands.

Sotha Sil

Ok... I will give the class that.

I still have much more fun Charging, Cloaking, Adrenalining, Singulariting, and Droning in comparison.

Adrenalining, Singulariting and Droning felt somewhat boring in ME2, but I think it has a lot to do with universal cooldown and the revamped biotic powers (I really liked Push when it was a direct power, for instance; the missile form lacked "punch").

Vanguard and Infiltrator are definitely the best.

Look at us, discussing classes. Boy is the wait getting painful.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've never played ME with a controller. Is it that much better of an experience? I like having dedicated keys for powers and squad commands.

It's not better. I mean, some people just like to kick back on the couch with a pad or are overwhelmed by the hundreds of buttons on a keyboard, but KB/M gives you superior accuracy and hotkeys. It would still be nice to have the option to use a gamepad on PC, though, since I just play on a normal.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

I dont think so, I started out with ME on the 360, beat it 6 times then I built a nice PC and bought ME on PC, beat it another 6 times and then continued on with ME2 for PC. Sure its easier to get into a more comfortable position with a controller but I vastly prefer the precision of a mouse and the quick keys. Also the hud layout is nice on PC, I dont care for the skill wheel.

Adrenalining, Singulariting and Droning felt somewhat boring in ME2, but I think it has a lot to do with universal cooldown and the revamped biotic powers (I really liked Push when it was a direct power, for instance; the missile form lacked "punch").

Vanguard and Infiltrator are definitely the best.

Look at us, discussing classes. Boy is the wait getting painful.
I could see Singularity and Drone being boring. But Adrenalining?

I see a guy I shoot, Adrenaline Rush, get behind and bludgeon. When you've got it maxed that shit cools quick and rinse repeat. Melee in ME2 only works well in the Soldier and Vanguard class.

derFeef

I bet I am switching back to Soldier after trying out a new class. I always think myself that I am a normal human so I do the best I can, which is shooting, and let my buddies do the crazy stuff.
Also yeah, Adrenalin is great, but everything else Soldier has is just ... boring.

I bet I am switching back to Soldier after trying out a new class. I always think myself that I am a normal human so I do the best I can, which is shooting, and let my buddies do the crazy stuff.
Also yeah, Adrenalin is great, but everything else Soldier has is just ... boring.

I found concussive shot was really fun in the demo, I'll probably max that out and fitness before I do anything else.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Gunther Shepard
Ujexml.jpg

6EJZW.jpg

This explains everything!

Sotha Sil

I could see Singularity and Drone being boring. But Adrenalining?

I see a guy I shoot, Adrenaline Rush, get behind and bludgeon. When you've got it maxed that shit cools quick and rinse repeat. Melee in ME2 only works well in the Soldier and Vanguard class.

Yeah, my "mistake" was to try the Soldier after the Vanguard. It was too late. Hopping from target to target and bludgeoning them to death was way to fun; Adrenaline Rush could only feel inferior after this. But I certainly approve of your ways.

The worst thing about ME2 is how much it stifles creativity.

ME1 almost expects you to give your characters tons of powers, and to use them in tandem. ME2 you have to pick and choose what moves you really want to max, on top of the number being limited in comparison.

Yeah, my "mistake" was to try the Soldier after the Vanguard. It was too late. Hopping from target to target and bludgeoning them to death was way to fun; Adrenaline Rush could only feel inferior after this. But I certainly approve of your ways.
That's actually one that has me excited. Melee has been expanded. You've now got a combo and finisher.

I giggled so much doing that in the demo.

rhino4evr

I agree that Adept is the best. How could you NOT want to lift guys up and fling them off cliffs. This is serious Jedi stuff here. In 98% of all shooters..you just shoot. Take advantage of the combat that has Been built for you.

EDIT: I'm playing on one of those fat 80gb PS3s if that makes any difference.

Is the framerate during gameplay pretty good/stable?

Zeliard

Vanguard is fun. I'm going through a fresh ME2 run on Insanity and had to pick Vanguard again, with Reave as the bonus power. Charge + shotgun, Pull, Shockwave, Reave = massive ass-stomping.

I agree that Adept is the best. How could you NOT want to lift guys up and fling them off cliffs. This is serious Jedi stuff here. In 98% of all shooters..you just shoot. Take advantage of the combat that has Been built for you.

That's what teammates are for!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The worst thing about ME2 is how much it stifles creativity.

ME1 almost expects you to give your characters tons of powers, and to you them in tandem. ME2 you have to pick and choose what moves you really want to max, on top of the number being limited in comparison.

I was just thinking about this. ME rewards you for doing really bizarre stuff with your character, while ME2 really doesnt allow that at all. That said ME almost required you to do so with a number of the classes, where as in ME2 each class had a much more distinct and unique feel to them from the start and they all felt much more viable than they did in ME, at least to me.

ME3 looks to be perfect because it retains that uniqueness established by ME2 but brings back the ability to customize them with a number of different options from ME. With both weapon selection and weapon mods back I can a lot of cool possibilities with the various classes. Plus the whole weight mechanic will be really cool since you can now go with just a single gun on an adept and being a biotic spamming god.

Dany

Banned

Yes. It's the star wars game that inst star wars.

Space magic is the best magic.

rhino4evr

Vanguard is fun. I'm going through a fresh ME2 run on Insanity and had to pick Vanguard again, with Reave as the bonus power. Charge + shotgun, Pull, Shockwave, Reave = massive ass-stomping.

That's what teammates are for!

Why let your teammates have all the fun? It's not like you can't use guns as an Adept. There is still PLENTY of shooting.

Soilder is a grunt class. Adept are like gods compared.

after a half dozen failures, I'll make my Idris Elba Shepard in ME3, or I could try a Benedict Cumberbatch

if all else fails, I'll go with Billy Butcher
billybutcher.jpg

Woo-Fu

Banned
The observer is supposed to be a
scientist
not a soldier.

Content of spoiler pertains to tv series, Fringe's latest episode only.

Are you saying somebody can't be both? Batman, Iron Man, Captain Jack Harkness, all of them might disagree.

at least now we know where/what the observer was up to when he was getting shot, trying to sleep with Jack!

Agreed, this is one of the greatest additions I've witnessed so far.
I don't actually intend to buy the game until I can get it for $30 or under either!

It's how I've done the two prior games. I buy them really cheap, and then play them for 500 hours spread across 40-something characters.

When I finish ME3 sometime in 2013 (my version of finish) I should have every story option played out.

rhino4evr

I know this Is pushing it., but I find that people that are afraid to play any other class then soilder are the same people that are afraid to try Sushi or travel out of the country...lol...yeah I know it's reaching.

Top Bottom