• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Wiggum2007

Totally fine with Clint Mansell's involvement being limited, I much prefer the classic ME synth style tracks that we've heard so far from the rest of the composers.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Not quite as long for me... but I have a feeling I'll end up with the same issues. :/ I use a trackball mouse with godly precision, so I'm OK there. It's the keyboard that will take getting used to. I'm going to put some more time into the PC demo... hopefully I get acclimated to it soon.

I hated the controls in the singleplayer portion of the demo but after putting so much time into co-op they're OK now. I still want to bind 'action' to something other than spacebar so I can instantly choose between sticking to cover and activating/reviving, but the rest works.

Bowdz

Totally fine with Clint Mansell's involvement being limited, I much prefer the classic ME synth style tracks that we've heard so far from the rest of the composers.

I agree. While the piano track fits great in the demo, it lacked the traditional ME feel IMO. Tracks like Tali, the ME Theme, and Uncharted worlds are what I think of first when I think of ME. Thus far, I love what I have heard from Sam Hulick.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah. I don't like the sound of that either.

I might have to jack up the difficulty to compensate =/

You realize the enemies scale to your level, right?

Kem0sabe

A port is a port, and no matter the platform, you expect that port to be accustomed to your platform of you choice. PS3 owners would be cranky of their version of the game didn't have any, say, aiming sensitivity options, because the game was built for the 360 and the 360 pad. Same goes for networking; no voice chat on one platform because it was built for the other.

Even though I'm a high end PC gamer through and through, I can be pretty forgiving with PC releases because I've become so numbed from console quality graphics. But that being said, in terms of tweakable options and graphical enhancements, the Mass Effect series is frankly ludicrously shit in comparison to a wealth of other PC ports running on the exact same engine. Outside of number keys for powers, it's hard to believe BioWare gives a single shit about their Mass Effect PC ports beyond just making sure they work.

This is worsened by other developers putting in significantly more effort into their PC ports, or farming out the PC port to someone who can handle it. Look at Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The original UI was, as far as I'm aware, built for control pads, but the final mouse + keyboard UI is incredible. Hotkeys, mouse wheel, etc. It all works, and beautifully. It even has controller support if you want it. Hell, Demiurge Studios' original UI for Mass Effect PC has more features (eg menu hotkeys) than BioWare's internal work on ME2/ME3 PC. That's really saying something.

It's one thing to bitch about the game not having some uncommon and unexpected shading algorithm that only a minority percentage of PC players could even use (though it's always nice to have the option :p), but most people just want a bit more goddamn effort into making the PC version feel like it was made for PC.

Thanks for answering so eloquently. :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Man, tag videos as spoilers when they show locations.

dat skybox though

Spacebar

I just beat ME2 last night. 2 of my guys died on the last mission so I guess that means they wont be in ME3 if I use that save?

Also I saw there was a trophy for not allowing anyone to die on the last mission. Is there any possible way to have everyone survive the last mission?

i-Lo

Man all those glorious links take a world of restraint not click on.... fuuu

Guess, I am off to watch pr0n for distraction.

EDIT: Are Dem skyboxes dynamic like in Skyrim?

rozay

Banned
I just beat ME2 last night. 2 of my guys died on the last mission so I guess that means they wont be in ME3 if I use that save?

Also I saw there was a trophy for not allowing anyone to die on the last mission. Is there any possible way to have everyone survive the last mission?
Do all the loyalty missions and get all the ship upgrades, send Mordin to accompany the normandy crew or keep him in your party for the final part, and leave 1 or 2 strong dudes (zaeed, grunt, garrus) with the people you leave to hold the line.

bigace33

Not quite as long for me... but I have a feeling I'll end up with the same issues. :/ I use a trackball mouse with godly precision, so I'm OK there. It's the keyboard that will take getting used to. I'm going to put some more time into the PC demo... hopefully I get acclimated to it soon.
Yep, the keyboard is the main culprit for me. Like the poster said a bit earlier, I've been strictly PC gaming for well over a year now, and I still feel the controller fits this game much better than KB/M. All that being said, the game is still really enjoyable and I guess the PC version is still the superior version despite lack of controller support.

rozay

Banned
RHRpJ.jpg

hnng

Dennis

Banned
Time flies.

I went back and took a look at my old screenshots from ME and.....they look real dated.

Which is funny cause I remember being very impressed at the time. And I only played the game after it had been out for a year.

Yes, I was LTTP with Mass Effect.

derFeef

It's a really weird question, because a keyboard and mouse are very comfortable, and also more accurate.

Subjective feeling. While I agree M+KB are more accurate, I often find a controller more comfortable and a much more coherent input for specific games.

REV 09

any impressions of the OST now that it's out for pc? Is it as good as the first 2? Is it the full OST?

thinking of plopping down for the deluxe edition since i was planning on buying the DLC and the OST anyways.

Reclaimer

Tehtrin said:
You could go buy a mic, and then learn to use KBM, because they're superior to a controller.

Just spend the time awkwardly fumbling around with it until you learn. It's infinitely better. You'll enjoy shooters a lot more.

Thetrin said:
You care more about comfort than accuracy?

It's a really weird question, because a keyboard and mouse are very comfortable, and also more accurate.

Different strokes for different folks. If someone says they prefer using a controller, can't you accept, nay celebrate that? Some people want to use a controller.

Isn't customized control configurations something you PC guys preach about all the time? Shouldn't using a controller instead of mouse keyboard be one of those control configuration choices available for the PC?

Maybe Bioware doesn't see leaving this feature out of the PC version as an issue because of all the PC gamer whining about "controllers are inferior".

Me? I'm good with a controller, so I'll take 360 pad + 55" plasma + couch over my office PC any day. A PC hooked up to my TV gets me everything I could ask for with most games.

Dennis

Banned
Too all the people posting 'not shipped' pics: thats what you get for not going digital!

Think of all the resources the Earth has to provide for your physical copy! Digital only consumes some electrons and photons. Yes, I am a scientist. Its true.

Megasoum

Banned
I really don't get why Microsoft won't allow devs to put DRM on two discs. So for example, with ME3, you could install both discs to the HDD and only need disc 1 in the tray to get through all the content. It's not like that would allow more piracy or more than one people being able to play with the same copy...

Or they could also do it using the Forza method of considering everything on the second disc as mendatory and free "DLC" that you install on your HDD.

Of course that would mean that people require a HDD to play the game but fuck that, we're in 2012, about time people get a HDD...

Time flies.

I went back and took a look at my old screenshots from ME and.....they look real dated.

Which is funny cause I remember being very impressed at the time. And I only played the game after it had been out for a year.

Yes, I was LTTP with Mass Effect.

I was there day 1. Still remember I had no real idea what I was getting into.

How time flies.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I just still feel uneasy that ME3 is being released next week. I hoped they'd release it in like a year or two.

Bowdz

any impressions of the OST now that it's out for pc? Is it as good as the first 2? Is it the full OST?

thinking of plopping down for the deluxe edition since i was planning on buying the DLC and the OST anyways.

I just downloaded it and am currently listening to "Mars" by Sam Hulick (the song from the VA reveal trailer). It is EXCELLENT. I love the throwback to ME1 themes that seem to be popping up everywhere. I don't know if I want to listen to more of it just so I can keep the musical experience somewhat fresh, but thus far, it is definitely on par with the other entries.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Too all the people posting 'not shipped' pics: thats what you get for not going digital!

Think of all the resources the Earth has to provide for your physical copy! Digital only consumes some electrons and photons. Yes, I am a scientist. Its true.

Digital will never come close to competing with physical copies.

Isn't customized control configurations something you PC guys preach about all the time? Shouldn't using a controller instead of mouse keyboard be one of those control configuration choices available for the PC?

What do you mean "you guys"?

Subjective feeling. While I agree M+KB are more accurate, I often find a controller more comfortable and a much more coherent input for specific games.

My opinions are 100% objective.

DaBuddaDa

Anybody know anything about the review embargo?

Arthur Gies tweeted the review embargo lifts midnight pacific Monday night. I find that strange because from the little leaks here and there I've read from people who have played it, it sounds like it will get an easy 90+ aggregate. Nothing but positive stuff. I guess EA runs the "risk" of people seeing a score a few points less than the overinflated 96 ME2 got and think "It's worse than ME2 I won't buy it day 1."

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I honestly cant think of a single UE3 game ported to PC that doesn't support AA except for the Mass Effect series. I'm sure there's some, especially very early UE3 games but I can't think of any at all, especially modern ones. It's totally baffling.

Plenty of UE3 games don't have native support and require compatibilities for Nvidia.

Sober

I was just looking at my account on Bioware Social Network when I noticed that the official soundtrack has been unlocked. If you purchased the PC digital deluxe edition and want to listen to the OST, it should be available for download now on the "your registered game content" page on BSN. The tracks are in .wav format and the total file size is 691 MB.

On that note, I bought the digital version of the game and it looks like BSN and Origin line up now (it lists all the pre-order stuff and CE stuff I have and From Ashes too)

You care more about comfort than accuracy?

Yup. I don't play online shooters that much, and the ones that I do play I play on my PS3/360.

Keyboard cramps my fingers up after an hour or so of using it. Plus I love being able to 'walk' in my games. The joysticks give me that option, the keys force me to always run :-/

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody know if they fix the issue with Shephard's head in 3? It bugged me so much in 2 that he was always looking sideways while running around.

Top Bottom