• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

If I end up doing any of those quests, I'm throwing on a second screen or a podcast and will just go mopping up planets. Otherwise I'll stick to the main quests and ally quests.

That's pretty much where I'm at right now. Unless it's someone or something on the way, I'm full on "ain't nobody got time for that."

Grisby

Just spent a good while hanging around (location spoiler)
Aya

This is what I'm talking about. Interacting
in the city with a new race of aliens. Getting scanned by one of their scientists because they're just that curious about me.

The (Mission 3 end spoilers, kind of a big one so don't click if you're not sure)
reveal about what the Kett were doing to them was kind of a neat twist. Probably should have seen that coming but I didn't.

Would have liked to have a conversation with the Cardinal since I spared her. Did not like Ryder's 'Wellllll that's what makes us humans soooooo much more awesome. Dur.' line to her as she was turning away. Ugh.
lol I have a buddy who just told me he's spent $350 in multiplayer already.

He spent over $3k in ME3.
Thank him for funding Mass Effect 5.
And he filed for chapter 11 to keep his car from being auctioned off two months ago.
On second thought, have a long talk with him or something man.
I love coming back aboard the Tempest and hearing all the new conversations between my squad. One of my favorite features of the game. It's nice that they aren't just static in one room like all the previous games. Banter is aces.
Yeah. You know what else is great? The community email feature. Love the crew commenting on each other's posts.

Kard8p3

Alright the auto saves in this game are annoying as fuck. It won't let me save in this section but when I die I legit have to redo like 3 fights lmao.

FaintDeftone

I've put 6 hours into this game and I can't take any more of it. The game is a slog to play through. Exploring these planets bore me to tears, the side missions are bland and driving this slow ass ATV around frustrates the hell out of me. I thought the story was intriguing when it first started and that first planet was a lot of fun, but it all goes down hill from there. I don't like a single character in this game either. Bioware throws so much shit at you without explaining any of it that I constantly feel overwhelmed, like I'm not playing the game properly or something.

I adore the ME trilogy and ME2 is my second favorite game from the entire last generation (right behind Dark Souls), but this game is awful. It's a huge shame because the combat feels really good, but everything else isn't fun at all. Even the multiplayer did nothing for me and I played the hell out of ME3's multiplayer. What a huge disappointment.

UncleMeat

The whole R&D crafting system is entirely too convoluted for its own good. I shouldn't have to buy the lower tier blueprints of items if I already have a higher tier version of that item.

Ya it's not great. Seems too costly to experiment with different weapons as well.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I didn't think I'd say this but... Well, after 26 hours I can now safely say that Andromeda is the best BioWare game since Mass Effect 3 for me. And I'm damn serious. The game is a blast to play especially after shitty and boring to death DAI which I simply and rightfully so hate for a shit ton of reasons.

Performance is not so great though even with 4790K @4,4 GHz, 16 GB RAM DDR3 @1600 MHz and GTX 1070 OC @1905 Core, 8108 VRAM. Can't get stable 60 FPS with a mix of High and Ultra settings because of the stuttering here and there and FPS drops for no good reason. Fix this shit BioWare and fast!

Aeana

What's everyone favorite team members for combat? I've been having a hard time deciding on a couple of different pairs.

What's everyone favorite team members for combat? I've been having a hard time deciding on a couple of different pairs.

I always have Drack in my party, and I usually rotate out Vetra and Jaal as the second party member. Drack is just an absolute powerhouse, he wrecks enemy forces. Jaal's grenade and teleporting stab are good, and Vetra can be almost as tanky as Drack.

Aeana

As a tech user with the prime+detonate upgrades for incinerate and energy drain, I like having Peebee along so I can detonate her pulls. I just started trying Drack and he's definitely pretty good. I had been using Jaal but I think I like Drack better.

Grisby

I've been recreating my Mass Effect 1 team with Drack and Cora aka new Wrex and new Ashley.

I still don't like the fact that I can;t directly control their powers but I like seeing Drack bloodrage and tank into enemies while Cora does her nova/charge biotic stuff.

Is there a way to change your loadout without leaving orbit? It's frustrating getting new weapons and having to go through so much just to test them

The Tempest needs a shooting range tbh

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm using Jaal a lot mostly because he fits the setting. Generally I try to pick the people who i think would fit the narrative more than for combat skills.... so Jaap is pretty much a lock with a rotating cast around him

Aeana

Is there a way to change your loadout without leaving orbit? It's frustrating getting new weapons and having to go through so much just to test them

The Tempest needs a shooting range tbh

You can change your loadout at every forward station, and in the room next to the bridge on the Tempest.

I'm a soldier/infiltrator hybrid so I rarely bring Liam and Jaal with me. I bring Drack in most missions and usually switch between Peebee or Cora for biotics. I bring Vetra every now and then.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Have people been using the profiles midfight much?

Maybe it's just the split I went for but I haven't done a whole lot. Mainly a vanguard just using a shotgun but I have an infiltrator, since the gun doesn't change I need to basically just change it all at a forward station when I want to try other stuff since I like to use that with a sniper.

It's still nice seeing just how many skillpoints you get. I do have a ton of options at my fingers so I like seeing that as much as I liked vanguarding around that I can totally shift how I play within the same character.

Aeana

Maybe it's just the split I went for but I haven't done a whole lot. Mainly a vanguard just using a shotgun but I have an infiltrator, since the gun doesn't change I need to basically just change it all at a forward station when I want to try other stuff since I like to use that with a sniper.

It's still nice seeing just how many skillpoints you get. I do have a ton of options at my fingers so I like seeing that as much as I liked vanguarding around that I can totally shift how I play within the same character.

When I heard about that, I thought "that's going to be awesome, I'll use that a lot," but with the setup I have, I have no reason to change anything... I can handle any situation well with incinerate+energy drain+overload.

ViciousDS

Banned
That's it I'm done, multiplayer only or I'm just throwing this shit on narrative and doing story and squad loyalty missions only. I can't deal with the shit open worlds and side quests. It's such a drag

JayB1920

That's it I'm done, multiplayer only or I'm just throwing this shit on narrative and doing story and squad loyalty missions only. I can't deal with the shit open worlds and side quests. It's such a drag

There are several good sidequests I've come across. What exactly is bad about them? They have narrative, character interaction and decision making unlike something like DAI or FFXV. Yeah the scan 10 of these or collect 10 of that ones suck but that isn't all there is here.

Staf

Is it just me or is the economy in this game shit? Feels like i never have enough resources for researching/crafting stuff.

As a tech user with the prime+detonate upgrades for incinerate and energy drain, I like having Peebee along so I can detonate her pulls. I just started trying Drack and he's definitely pretty good. I had been using Jaal but I think I like Drack better.

If you use a shotgun bring Jaal. If you use a sniper bring Drack. If you love comedy bring both.

Is it just me or is the economy in this game shit? Feels like i never have enough resources for researching/crafting stuff.

Yeah, so far it's best to just buy stuff instead of crafting them, especially for armors.

Crafting in DAI was pretty great, not sure how they fucked it up in Andromeda.

Zesh

I pretty much use Drack and Jaal exclusively. Drack because he seems to be the best overall for combat. Jaal is also good, and he tends to have interesting commentary on things as an angaran. It also feels appropriate narratively to bring him along for most missions.

Yeah, so far it's best to just buy stuff instead of crafting them, especially for armors.

Crafting in DAI was pretty great, not sure how they fucked it up in Andromeda.

Once you have access to powerful augmentations, crafting is better. You should have more resources by then as well.

Van Bur3n

Only thing I feel is lacking is Milky Way resources. Far fewer than other resources since you spend a lot of time exploring the environments of a brand new galaxy than anything touched by the Milky Way. However, getting the research cyro pod perk to get Milky Way research every so often (100 points), I've been able to manage. As for minerals, you really start racking them in by your second planet. Other minerals you lack can be bought with credits from vendors, and credits come in like candy from salvage. I have up to 30000 credits and over 1500 research points for both Heleus and Remnant.

As for the squad I roll with, I have Cora with me at all times for her nice support abilities and as a biotic primer to compliment my Adept build, and switching between Vetra and Jaal for my other needs. Although I think I'm using Jaal mostly for the sake of the story.

Also, that armor augmentation that allows you to regain your shields with every kill is the bee's knees. Definitely a reason to craft armor.

Not at all. Quite frankly, I'm quite content with just Pull + Throw + Singularity. Although I think its a worse system than the original ME games.

Sheeeeeit. The conclusion to finding all of the memories of alec ryder was pretty good. I'm sure someone will disagree but I think it was well handled. Curious what it means going forward though.

Once you have access to powerful augmentations, crafting is better. You should have more resources by then as well.

Looking at the augmentations, I thought so too, but it'll be too late. I've already been using tier IV stuff and crafting is still not a viable option for me. It shoudn't have been a problem if they give more platinum/titanium earlier to us.

Van Bur3n

Looking at the augmentations, I thought so too, but it'll be too late. I've already been using tier IV stuff and crafting is still not a viable option for me. It shoudn't have been a problem if they give more platinum/titanium earlier to us.

Platinum and Titanium is all over Harvarl. And I'd say that's just a little over the early game.

Zesh

Sheeeeeit. The conclusion to finding all of the memories of alec ryder was pretty good. I'm sure someone will disagree but I think it was well handled. Curious what it means going forward though.

Yeah, I quite liked it. Made going through the work of collecting all of the memories worth it.

Reszo

I like Jaal and Vetra. I regularly rotate Jaal out for Liam . These are mostly the characters I like based on their looks and personality. Also Vetra and Liam's commentary is funny

Trickster

For me it's the complete opposite, I feel it's busted because I almost never had to spend any resources. At the end of the game I had several thousand research points for each of the 3 tech categories, plenty of crafting resources (except for eezo for the nomad upgrades), and at least 60k credits.

Crafting resources was not an issue, so I stopped bothering with planet mining before being done with Eos, simple because it felt like a pointless waste of my time.

I can see it being an issue if you keep wanting to craft new weapons. But I don't see the point of that at all. It's clear just from the stats what weapons are good or bad, and the level scaling is so small that there's not much difference between a tier 1 and 5 version of the same weapon or armor.

JMY86

I like Jaal and Vetra. I regularly rotate Jaal out for Liam . These are mostly the characters I like based on their looks and personality. Also Vetra and Liam's commentary is funny

I usually roll with Cora & Vetra their cryo and disruptor ammo are awesome for almost non stop combos. Cora is my romance target and my biotic combo buddy and I really like Vetra a lot she has some really funny dialogue throughout and she can jack some fools up.

Smiley90

Yeah, I quite liked it. Made going through the work of collecting all of the memories worth it.

I just unlocked the third audio file, shit's definitely gonna go down. Gives me OG Trilogy vibes though, and still doesnt really make sense. Looking forward to the reveal

Vorheez

I apologize if this has been asked a million times already, but...

How long is the game? As a student with finals creeping up, I like to know what I'm getting myself into haha.

I found a few sources that said 15-20 hours for the main story, but that doesn't seems right.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Okay... what the FUCK at these framerates on PS4Pro. It's the first level too... why did I not hear about this?

People making fun of animations and glitches, but this fps affects gameplay, significantly. I don't understand, this is really bad.

JMY86

How long is the game? As a student with finals creeping up, I like to know what I'm getting myself into haha.

I found a few sources that said 15-20 hours for the main story, but that doesn't seems right.

If you plow through nothing but the bare minimum I think you can do it in roughly 20 hours. I have 60+ hours in and I have a little over 60% completion there is a ton of content there if you want it...

Smiley90

It's a Mass Effect game, if you only do the main story you'll have a baaaaaad time. Main story you can knock out quickly but it wont be much fun and you wont enjoy the game. I'd count on spending at least 30 on it, minimum. Probably more like 50+ if you're actually gonna play the game fully.

On that note, does the game track played time somewhere? I tried to find it in the ingame statistics but cant see it, and the save file also isnt tracking it...

Freeman76

Okay... what the FUCK at these framerates on PS4Pro. It's the first level too... why did I not hear about this?

People making fun of animations and glitches, but this fps affects gameplay, significantly. I don't understand, this is really bad.

It gets worse too. Im playing real slow as i expect a patch for this asap. DAI looks about the same detail/size wise and runs twice as smooth on the base ps4.

Vorheez

If you plow through nothing but the bare minimum I think you can do it in roughly 20 hours. I have 60+ hours in and I have a little over 60% completion there is a ton of content there if you want it...

It's a Mass Effect game, if you only do the main story you'll have a baaaaaad time. Main story you can knock out quickly but it wont be much fun and you wont enjoy the game. I'd count on spending at least 30 on it, minimum. Probably more like 50+ if you're actually gonna play the game fully.

On that note, does the game track played time somewhere? I tried to find it in the ingame statistics but cant see it, and the save file also isnt tracking it...
OK, this was more in line with what I was expecting. Thanks guys. I have only finished the first planet and am now doing a bunch of side missions on the Nexus. I'm already at like 12 hours haha.

It's a great game though, I'm having a blast

Edit: playtime is tracked for me when I go to load up a save file in the setting. Sometimes it takes a second to load up though.

ViciousDS

Banned
There are several good sidequests I've come across. What exactly is bad about them? They have narrative, character interaction and decision making unlike something like DAI or FFXV. Yeah the scan 10 of these or collect 10 of that ones suck but that isn't all there is here.

It's not necessarily the storylines themselves it's the way they do it. So much back and forth on a giant ass planet gets so fucking boring. I think the spaces are way too damn big. Everything repeats itself too......hey look a kett crew in guessing I need to scan an object which starts a quest to scan 1 more object and then destroy 2. After which will lead me to a smaller vault with loot at the bottom.

Mossybrew

Okay... what the FUCK at these framerates on PS4Pro. .

Yeah, it sucks.

Every time I see an Angara, especially the females, it just breaks my suspension of disbelief. They just look like rubber toys, the models are atrociously bad.

There are things about the game I like that hit my "sweet spot" - crafting, getting better weapons, combat is pretty good, I actually generally like the male Ryder VO, but so much of this game is just so fucking tedious. I don't know how else to describe it, just so. fucking. tedious.

I feel like I gave the game every benefit of the doubt. I love Mass Effect. I enjoy the game enough to keep playing. But I've really had to admit to myself it's overall a huge disappointment.

. So much back and forth on a giant ass planet gets so fucking boring. I think the spaces are way too damn big. Everything repeats itself.

Yep yep yep, and aside from the back and forth on individual planets, the endless back and forth of quests sending you among planets/nexus.

Madness

Honestly how can you only have one single face for an entire species in a five year long game? One face?! How? It's like they shipped the placeholder version.

Ugh, I get so sad that Mass Effect was the victim of whatever has happened the last five years :'(

Yup. Not just Asari but humans too even the Turians aside from Vetra look remarkably similar. I know people are saying it isn't so bad. But this game had alkost as much dev time as the time between Mass Effect 1 launching to ME3 launching. There is little things that add up like this.

Mossybrew

In my experience it makes absolutely no difference who you bring with. Though I am playing on the default difficulty, maybe these things have significance at higher levels.

The amount of unnecessary running around required to complete some of these side quests is such a waste of time. It's annoying when each quest requires you to visit 3 different worlds, especially when you have to suffer through the needlessly long galaxy map animations every single time. I guess they felt they needed to pad the game length.

Yep, completely agreed.

At this point I kind of feel like a cult member who has finally seen the light of day.

Top Bottom