• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Freeman76

Just spent a few hours playing Wildlands, really want to get into ME evem though I shelved it until they patch it. Its so bad in comparison, and when you think how huge and detailed ghost recon is there is no excuse for ME to run this bad. Im losing hope this will even get patched now, as very few people seem to find it offputting. Sad panda

DeaDPo0L84

Yup and the worst is going to the tempest anytime makes it take off and you have to go through the whole animations and take off and re-entry. Very redundant and hard to believe no one thought it would be a pain.

For all the menu hopping this is the one that actually bothers me, hopefully its added to forward stations.

edgefusion

Nova felt redundant with how powerful melee/jump melee can get, so I'm running Charge/Backlash/Singularity. Biotic Combos everywhere.

Charge and melee will kill most enemies outright sure, but Nova makes them catapult through the sky which is hours of entertainment for me.

DeaDPo0L84

I put a vintage heat sink on a Valkyrie rifle and not sure how I feel about it. I can only shoot 3 burst before its on cool down...hrmmm

Effect

Made it to Eos last night and so far performance is still good on my system. I upped the light settings to high while everything else is at medium and 1080p and didn't take any noticeable hit. Characters still look ugly though but I've gotten used to them. I've largely stopped looking at faces (though gotten used to them) if I can help it and just listen to the conversation which isn't to bad. I think this is largely going to depend on how you actually answer questions. I don't like at all how Ryder sounds when I pick the heart options in conversations outside of the flirting option. So I don't bother having him answer that way. I'm fine with how he talks with the other options. I think that heart option is casual and he sounds way to casual for any of the situations I find myself in when I pick that. He sounds juvenile actually. I also think the flirting options appeared far to quick once I was on the ship. That should have been available after the first major mission I think.

Outside of that I haven't had any issues that stand out or I can remember. Shields are dropping faster on hardcore. It was suggested I stick with it and have been. Once started combining attacks and moving more combat is pretty fun and challenging. Only times I've died is when I did something stupid and got to greedy.

I did not expect the underground to be as vast as it was either and still not done. I looked up last night and notice it was 2am. I landed on Eos around 8:30pm. I was just taking my time and was surprised I was pulled in the way I was. That's only happen recently with Zelda, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and when I went back to Final Fantasy XIV for a short amount of time. Though I'm not at all rushing and taking my time just explore my surroundings and look at various things. That might all stop in time though.

This game reminds me a lot of Mass Effect 1 in a lot of ways and I like that a lot. That game had a bigger impact on with me then ME2 or ME3 ever did. In many ways I still prefer that game over those two.

hbkdx12

I thought I crafted a general boost mode and then I had a supercharged boost mod as well. They could have been for specific drives though.

Yeah they are. There's separate speed increases for 4 wheel drive and 6 wheel drive and then there's an increases to your boost ability

After being incredibly frustrated by this game and its "jank," I feel like I'm slowly breaking through (i'm on Voeld) and really looking forward to playing it.

It's just like this game had no editor or something. Every halfbaked sidequest is in it, every stupid mandatory repetitive animation is in it (flying to planets), everyone has something to say (which infuriatingly just cuts off any other convo that might be going on), everything can be crafted/researched/scanned. It's just so incredibly overbearing and so much is not explained well enough. There's some GREAT moments in this game, it's just there's so much filler around them.

Edit: Also, the bugs/glitches. Yikes, they can be distracting.

Stiler

Anyone else finding themselves completely overwhelmed with quests? They load you up with waaaaaaaay too many too early on.

I left EOS to go to the Nexus with like 20 open quest, then get there and there's like 15 more quests to pick up and my brain is like "must do every single one."

They need to ease you into quests and stagger them out a bit.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Anyone else finding themselves completely overwhelmed with quests? They load you up with waaaaaaaay too many too early on.

I left EOS to go to the Nexus with like 20 open quest, then get there and there's like 15 more quests to pick up and my brain is like "must do every single one."

It honestly reminds me of old vanilla/BC WoW where you could get 20 quests for one zone and go "I can't hold all these quests.jpg"

Most of them are garbage "go to location on map and press a button" filler crap that would've been embarrassing in an MMO ten years ago. I've started avoiding almost everything in the "Additional Tasks" tab and the game has gotten much better.

Tacitus_

I'd wager that a bunch of those are under "Tasks" which are as fulfilling as that category sounds. Don't fret about it.

Though later in the game it gets a bit noticeable when you do a main mission and every single sidequest that was in "wait for later" comes active again. But by that point, if you've been keeping up with the important sidequests, those are all that's left outside of the main quest.

edgefusion

I stopped actively doing the "Additional Tasks" and it made questing 1000% better imo. They're all junk filler quests anyway, as if they needed any extra quests in.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm starting to move past the acceptance stage and actually liking the game now. I even did a bunch of random side quests on Voeld of all places - I hate Voeld! I got this one ally quest where I had to
investigate a kett research facility
and that fucker was hard. I died about ten times before deciding, nope, I'll come back for that one later. I romanced
PeeBee
and that was super tame.

Just landed on Kadara and am looking forward to exploring. What a bizarre game - I was unsure at first, hated it for the next two planets (ten hours of gameplay), and now have started to genuinely like it. I can't recall the last time I played such an uneven game. Anyway, glad I've finally come around to it. I want to do some loyalty quests but they are all ON HOLD.

One thing I really don't like is the three-power combat. I feel so limited and backed into a corner without the ability to call on my teammates for specific skills.

Madness

I don't know if people like it but the Scanner can die in a fire going forward. I like the Cortana level pairing with SAM, I don't need to him repeat temperatures so much. But having me scan all this useless stuff is dumb. I feel like all this criticism is a good thing because it would help them refocus if there is a sequel.

As for the sidequests, the only ones that are unbearable are the numbered ones. Place 5 of this here, here and there. Other ones like go here, speak with him, go there and come back and speak with her. They wouldn't be as bad if map traversal or loading animations, door entries weren't such a pain.

Effect

Most of them are garbage "go to location on map and press a button" filler crap that would've been embarrassing in an MMO ten years ago. I've started avoiding almost everything in the "Additional Tasks" tab and the game has gotten much better.
Some MMOs have that stuff now. It does feel very mmorpgish in that way. Thankfully they do at the very least separate the missions and task (can't call these quest) into the different locations and priorities.

edgefusion

I don't know if people like it but the Scanner can die in a fire going forward. I like the Cortana level pairing with SAM, I don't need to him repeat temperatures so much. But having me scan all this useless stuff is dumb. I feel like all this criticism is a good thing because it would help them refocus if there is a sequel.

Gotta cram that 'detective vision' into a modern game somehow!

obeast

I still like this game -- I return from work every day eager to play it -- but man is it its own worst enemy sometimes.

Like, I just finished Cora's loyalty mission, which was all in all a high point. Well produced, suspenseful, relevant to the overall narrative, the whole nine yards. But at the very end
that morally dubious Asari and Cora use biotic fields to repel a massive salvo of missiles fired from one gigantic spaceship towards another. What? None of the ME games, to my knowledge, has suggested that anything like that is possible. As I watch that, I think "ugh, they're going to save the ship via some stupid space magic rather than an infinity of more plausible options just to give me a heroic moment with flashing lights" -- and then not only do the biotic fields repel the missiles, they actually *reverse their course and destroy the other vessel.*

What the hell? That moment just yanked me right out of a quest I was quite enjoying in the game, for no reason at all but to crank the dramatic heroism level way past where the narrative needed it to be - in fact, way past where it could be at all enjoyable for me.

I didn't find them too overwhelming. In fact, I discovered some as I drove to each forward station on a planet. If you check your map, you'll see white waypoints that mark where an inactive quest takes place. You can activate them by hitting X while your cursor is on them. A lot more efficient than shuffling through the quest log, in my opinion. I was able to knock out other quests along the way while on route to the one I intended to do initially.

The Nexus has a lot of filler ones that require traveling back and forth between different areas via the tram. Wasn't too impressed by those.

Madness

I still like this game -- I return from work every day eager to play it -- but man is it its own worst enemy sometimes.

Like, I just finished Cora's loyalty mission, which was all in all a high point. Well produced, suspenseful, relevant to the overall narrative, the whole nine yards. But at the very end
that morally dubious Asari and Cora use biotic fields to repel a massive salvo of missiles fired from one gigantic spaceship towards another. What? None of the ME games, to my knowledge, has suggested that anything like that is possible. As I watch that, I think "ugh, they're going to save the ship via some stupid space magic rather than an infinity of more plausible options just to give me a heroic moment with flashing lights" -- and then not only do the biotic fields repel the missiles, they actually *reverse their course and destroy the other vessel.*

What the hell? That moment just yanked me right out of a quest I was quite enjoying in the game, for no reason at all but to crank the dramatic heroism level way past where the narrative needed it to be - in fact, way past where it could be at all enjoyable for me.

I felt it tarnished Jack somewhat as well. I mean Cora was able to stop a massive lightning strike against several with her biotic powers. But I don't nitpick these things because it is artistic liberty. Same way humanity on the verge of extinction in Halo 3, is somehow a universal superpower with unlimited funds and rebuilt worlds in 5 short years with Halo 4.

damn son, you missing out. theres two items in the item shop that cost quite a few mission points that you wanna snatch up asap before they're gone for good.

the juggernaut shield cost 120 MP and it increases your shields by 10% and melee by fucking 75%!!! If you got a krogan or melee class, its like mandatory you get this. one punch manning everything that doesnt have shields or armor.

and the thermal clip equipment cost 75 and it gives you 70% more ammo capacity. good for weapon focused classes and weapons that gives you a shit amount of ammo forcing you to constantly hit those ammo crates like the thokin assault rifle.

That's nuts! I didn't even bother to look at the list of stuff because I thought it was all/mostly consumables.

Tacitus_

It was foreshadowed pretty heavily. Cora mentions her feats way too many times.

obeast

I felt it tarnished Jack somewhat as well. I mean Cora was able to stop a massive lightning strike against several with her biotic powers. But I don't nitpick these things because it is artistic liberty. Same way humanity on the verge of extinction in Halo 3, is somehow a universal superpower with unlimited funds and rebuilt worlds in 5 short years with Halo 4.

Well, the lightning strike didn't really bother me, as it seemed like it was well within the established parameters of biotic abilities in the ME universe. Shields the size of a person? I've seen those before. It was kinda bad writing, in that it established a character trait needlessly awkwardly, but it was something I could tolerate.

The sequence I'm complaining about was 1) totally without precedent 2) totally without narrative justification. It did not need to happen for any narrative or dramatic reason, and in fact could and should have been replaced with any number of equally dramatic resolutions that actually made sense. It was just so, so needlessly over the top. It takes a lot to puncture my suspension of disbelief in a sci-fi game about FTL travel and magic powers, but that sequence did it.

It was foreshadowed pretty heavily. Cora mentions her feats way too many times.

Not sure I follow - what was foreshadowed? As I recall, the other character was basically praised a lot for her brains, not for her unprecedented space magic.

Alucrid

Banned

lol depending on what you did in that mission wait until the end to see the power of biotics

It reminds me of the Witcher 2. Excellent in some ways, good to average in others, and bizarrely shit on a few very noticeable things. So far I've yet encounter anything as hilariously broken as I did in W2 - when Phillipa's entire face and neck textures just didn't load.

My recommendation to new players is to push through Eos and Voeld, and avoid any mission that's listed as a 'Task'.

If only the writing was as strong as Witcher 2

Agreed. I posted pretty similar thoughts when I played that mission last night. Mass Effect has never been completely "hard scif" but stuff like that is just ridiculous and stupid.

Not sure I follow - what was foreshadowed? As I recall, the other character was basically praised a lot for her brains, not for her unprecedented space magic.

Er, did you even actually talk or interact with her throughout the game? Part of her backstory is that she's
been basically kicked out and made an outcast from every unit and organization she's been a part of for her freakish biotic powers. The alliance didn't want her around, the Asari huntresses she was a part of quietly suggested she leave after a while because of her unnatural biotics. She joined the initiative to have a start in a new world where she wouldn't be judged for her powers and the way she is.

It actually makes the evolution of the scott/cora romance very nice later on.

edgefusion

I wish they did more with the environment hazards, when I got to Voeld I thought "cool, I'll have to deal with extreme cold and hopping from heat lamp to heat lamp" and then when I got to
Eladaan, I thought "cool, I'll have to deal with extreme heat and hopping from shade to shade"
. But the hazards always end up being something you can simply ignore entirely.

DeaDPo0L84

Clip size determines how many shots you can shoot before overheating. So I imagine the standard clip size is 3 bursts for that gun.

Just bought a 43% clip increase and it doubled the amount I can shoot before cool down, thanks for guiding me in the right direction.

JeffG

Ignore them

Heck, I completed the game with only doing 2 loyalty missions (Cora, Vetra) Save the other ones for other playthroughs

Nekrono

As for the sidequests, the only ones that are unbearable are the numbered ones. Place 5 of this here, here and there. Other ones like go here, speak with him, go there and come back and speak with her. They wouldn't be as bad if map traversal or loading animations, door entries weren't such a pain.

I don't get why the scan feature gets so much hate. For people that enjoy the immersion and lore in Mass Effect this is a great addition, it helps with world building and it's great seeing actual mineral compositions or what happened to a crash vehicle and it's crew, etc.

And for the people that don't care about lore well it's quick, you don't have to hold the button to scan, it's not like it takes a long time, and when it's actually required for a main quest or an important side quest you always get a line of dialogue or conversation that goes with it just so you don't have to read what you just scanned.

The only downside that I see for the people that hate having to scan is that the research point mechanic is tied to it, although it's not required as there are other ways to get points/gear.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Er, did you even actually talk or interact with her throughout the game? Part of her backstory is that she's
been basically kicked out and made an outcast from every unit and organization she's been a part of for her freakish biotic powers. The alliance didn't want her around, the Asari huntresses she was a part of quietly suggested she leave after a while because of her unnatural biotics. She joined the initiative to have a start in a new world where she wouldn't be judged for her powers and the way she is.

On top of that, the Asari character she's paired with ALSO has similar feats in her backstory, being called the "Hero of xxx" (forgot the name) for pulling the exact same move back in the day to protect a village. So it's definitely not unprecedented, at least within MEA.

obeast

Right, I remember - I thought you were talking about the Asari, not Cora. But no, that explanation makes no sense, because
the Asari is the one driving the stupid magic - she even implies she's done it before ("just like on ____")
. Even if it was all Cora, though, it would still be breaking the rules of the universe, for no narrative reason.

It's the last point that really irks me. Writing often becomes implausible because the plot requires the writers to get from A to B and there's no good way to get there. In this case, there was no need whatsoever to take this route from A to B. There were many others available.

Incidentally, I loathe Cora's fake "I'm too awesome for people to handle" drama in her backstory, as I think I posted in this thread ages ago. That too is awful writing. Also, as a nitpicky point,
per my memory she wasn't encouraged to leave the huntresses because of her biotics at all

On top of that, the Asari character she's paired with ALSO has similar feats in her backstory, being called the "Hero of xxx" (forgot the name) for pulling the exact same move back in the day to protect a village. So it's definitely not unprecedented, at least within MEA.

Well, of course it's not unprecedented in ME:A - it happens in the game! I'm complaining that it breaks well-established rules about ship combat and biotics in the ME universe, for no good narrative reason.

Tacitus_

The asari
protected a city block from artillery with her biotics
. This is one of the many reasons Cora is such a fangirl.

Ralemont

not me
Even though they are optional and only there for people who want more than the main story and loyalty stuff?

Yes because I think the proper side quests (assignments), rare loot chests, remnant monoliths/vault, and SAM memory triggers provide sufficient motivation to explore the zones. Tasks are one ingredient too many.

hermit7

I am at 31 percent and have the next main quest of
going to get the archon

Beaten voeld and Harval. Am I close to finishing the game? I know I have
more planets from the interface that lets me know that so I couldn't imagine I am close, but it seems like that quest is nearing the end of the main story.

Yes because I think the proper side quests (assignments), rare loot chests, remnant monoliths/vault, and SAM memory triggers provide sufficient motivation to explore the zones. Tasks are one ingredient too many.

Oh, definitely. I don't know why Bioware feels like their current rpgs need to be 100+ hours long. Did anyone really complain that ME1-3 were too short? I mean, maybe they could be a bit longer. But isn't 50 hours or so long enough? Cut all that superfluous garbage and spend time polishing and focusing the story and significant sidequests.

Side missions and exploration used to be what you did as a break from the story. Now the story is a break from side content.

It's not unprecedented within MEA, but it's a an incredibly large departure from the established limits of biotics as presented in the original trilogy and expanded universe. It's another one of those things that makes the story feel more like a fanfiction of Mass Effect rather than a continuation.

Tacitus_

I am at 31 percent and have the next main quest of
going to get the archon

Beaten voeld and Harval. Am I close to finishing the game? I know I have
more planets from the interface that lets me know that so I couldn't imagine I am close, but it seems like that quest is nearing the end of the main story.

It depends.
There's only a couple main missions left after that, but a ton of crew quests and the planets you mentioned.

So is there generally a best spot for buying weapon mods or is it all just a luck of the draw?

One of the vendors in Nexus dock sells basically only augs, mods and crafting materials.

obeast

It's not unprecedented within MEA, but it's a an incredibly large departure from the established limits of biotics as presented in the original trilogy and expanded universe. It's another one of those things that makes the story feel more like a fanfiction of Mass Effect rather than a continuation.

Also, it's not just that it works, it's that it works, and
reverses the missiles and destroys the other ship
. Even if it just worked to
deflect or destroy the missiles
, it would represent essentially a fanfiction-style retcon of the ME universe - but that wasn't dramatic enough, so we got the souped-up version, which really seems like bad fanfic.

In the shadow broker and with samara we saw some serious biotic shit go down. It's not entirely unprecedented.

Eh? We saw absolutely nothing even remotely close, in either. Have I just lost my memory? I'm kinda shocked that anyone thinks that this sort of thing is established in the ME universe in any way. It's bonkers.

Top Bottom