• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Rellik

It's like every other day new issues with the game are coming up! First with the problems in finishing side-quests, now the need to save every single step of the way!!! What's going on? Is it best to wait for the game to go in the bargain bin? Or hell PS +?

Maybe in 2025 with Knack.

nOoblet16

Is that a real exchange?

Yep, most exchanges are great infact some are even fantastic...while some are quirky like that.

Like just after that Peebee asked Drack what it feels like to be older than everyone else since he doesn't has many years left by Asari and Krogan standards and why would anyone like him come to Andromeda. Drack says some stuff and then concludes that it's not about how long you live but what you make of it. Then about 10-20 minutes later after a fight or two Peebee actually gets back to that conversations and continues it by saying I agree with what you say that it's not about the numbers but how important those years are and so on and tells a story.

I wish the colour of icons designating characters you can interact with changed based on if they had new dialogue options or not. So many times I've started and convo and gone straight to "I should go," because hey, there might be a side mission that opens up, but also, not necessarily, after each thing I do.

Is Peebe's voice actrees the same as Magilou's from Tales of Berseria?

She kinda reminds me of her, both from her voice and characteristic.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Not sure how spoilerish this is so please feel free to direct me to a better thread and spoilertag your answer, but how many main missions (in actual gameplay chunks, a tiny main mission doesnt count) are there? I just want to get a feel for it.

Jharp

Enjoying the game overall. Great sense of exploration and adventure. But ugh, some of the writing is just horrendous. Spoilers for the early game Nilken murder side-quest:

Cool setup- he didn't kill the guy, but he absolutely meant to. But the only outcomes are exile him for a "crime he didn't commit" or free him since he technically didn't do it? What? Eight hundred years in the future, and suddenly attempted murder is not a crime? FUCKING WHY? There's obvious middle ground here and all I can see is Bioware's writing staff jacking each other off. How fucking stupid.

Aytumious

Banned
It's a mildly cheesy action movie type line...?

Half the time when someone trashes the script in Andromeda and then offers an example of a line that to them is particularly awful, it strikes me as pretty innocuous. Even the oft-cited "I've been talking so much, my face is tired" line from Foster Addison. A little awkward, sure, but is it really that odd of a thing to say?

It definitely doesn't sound as bad if you completely change what she said.

Wallach

Enjoying the game overall. Great sense of exploration and adventure. But ugh, some of the writing is just horrendous. Spoilers for the early game Nilken murder side-quest:

Cool setup- he didn't kill the guy, but he absolutely meant to. But the only outcomes are exile him for a "crime he didn't commit" or free him since he technically didn't do it? What? Eight hundred years in the future, and suddenly attempted murder is not a crime? FUCKING WHY? There's obvious middle ground here and all I can see is Bioware's writing staff jacking each other off. How fucking stupid.

This pissed me off too, both characters at the end were discussing the situation like they were total morons.

Meowster

I really hope I don't have a corrupted save file... I've been trying to reload my last save after an abrupt crash and it keeps hanging once the load meter makes it all the way. 😢

Rellik

I really hope I don't have a corrupted save file... I've been trying to reload my last save after an abrupt crash and it keeps hanging once the load meter makes it all the way. 😢

It's a known problem. You'll have to load the previous save.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I really hope I don't have a corrupted save file... I've been trying to reload my last save after an abrupt crash and it keeps hanging once the load meter makes it all the way. <span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_64.png);background-position:67.5% 17.5%;background-size:4100%" title="cry"></span></span>

on PC mine did this, I just waited a while, alt tabbed to another window and it sorted itself out

RoKKeR

ME2: Don't fuck with Aria.

Oh man, I played that section of ME2 not too long ago. So good, I should go back and play more.

Explored the Tempest for the first time today, really like the setup and all of the huge ass windows with views into space. Really neat touch.

Is there any indication as to when a forward station can be called down or where I need to go on the map to get them to come down? Having trouble exploring due to radiation but can't seem to find any other locations on Eos to get them to come down.

Dingobloo

Neo Member
This pissed me off too, both characters at the end were discussing the situation like they were total morons.

I'm no lawyer,
but surely it would be counted as doubly jeopardy if they attempt to turn around and try him for attempted murder having being acquitted of the same murder. This is in part what those laws are for, to stop prosecutors going for the harshest charges then working their way down if they fail.

So the quest is really asking, in what way do you want to have a miscarriage of justice for your proto-society? Do you justify his exile on a charge he didn't commit reducing the legitimacy of the court, or let him go due to the incompetence of the prosecution and a due process exception.

The quest could do a better job of addressing that point with a third option to be fair.

george_us

Just finished the first "dungeon" and really enjoyed it. Haven't had much time to play but I'm still enjoying what I've played so far. Loving the feeling of exploration although I wish the Nomad's initial jump height was a little higher.

What determines shields and health? Armor doesn't seem to have those as a stat unless I'm missing it. I currently have like half the shields of my squadmates.

Jharp

I'm no lawyer,
but surely it would be counted as doubly jeopardy if they attempt to turn around and try him for attempted murder having being acquitted of the same murder. This is in part what those laws are for, to stop prosecutors going for the harshest charges then working their way down if they fail.

So the quest is really asking, in what way do you want to have a miscarriage of justice for your proto-society? Do you justify his exile on a charge he didn't commit reducing the legitimacy of the court, or let him go due to the incompetence of the prosecution and a due process exception.

The quest could do a better job of addressing that point with a third option to be fair.

I'm also no lawyer, but wouldn't murder 1 and attempted murder be two different charges, and thus not actually be considered double jeopardy? I could be wrong, but I assume you could be charged and tried for both. So they'd definitely have to retry
Nilken
, which could have made for a really cool sub-plot itself, with Ryder choosing to act on behalf of the defense or prosecution.

Also, the fact that double jeopardy isn't mentioned at any point indicates that this was not Bioware's actual intention. It'd have been fairly easy to have Tann spit out a line referencing it, were that the case.

Multiplayer has been horrible connection-wise today.

Got to wave 7 on silver and got booted with 2 seconds left on extraction.

Fucking frustrating.

I'm kinda confused why they didn't push the voices of the new aliens harder... I feel if I was a sound designer I'd be so excited to create a new unique alien sound. But I literally talked to one _______ that sounded like an old british butler. So unfortunate.

BizzyBum

The fucking side quests in this game are so broken and glitchy.

Doing "Making An Impression" on Eos and the people at the camp at the end won't show up.

Taker34

Banned
My impressions as a "hardcore" ME Trilogy fan/collector:

Finished the first planet and basically did pretty much every side quest I could find. At first the facial animations and overall bland characters bothered me more than they should but I got used to it and enjoyed exploration, crafting so far... all that fancy stuff. The story is surely interesting but the departure from the Milky Way was and still is my biggest disappointment.

I wish all interactions would get a Mass Effect 1 treatment with that close cinematic camera position and actual face movement or good animations - because the voice acting is pretty good and I appreciate the tons of dialogue. Makes everything much more organic. It's kinda two steps forward, one step backwards. It's hard to care for characters or the story; which is odd because the graphical presentation is the last thing I feel bothered about. The presentation overall is simply not believable - I can't get emotionally involved. It's not the fusion of ME 1 and 2 everyone hoped for.

Don't get me wrong, Andromeda is really excellent for what it is. Ultimately it makes me want having a ME Trilogy remaster and that's just disappointing. ME:A is good at doing what people wanted from ME - without actually feeling like the latter. It's still so much dumb fun - nothing more, nothing less. I'll fully enjoy the next weeks in Andromeda.

I would like a minute to complain...
My friend and I game share. He purchased the super mega digital whatever version of the game. I have EA Access. Great, right? No. I had the version that he paid for preloaded and ready to go. I played the trial. Did my 10 hours. Went to the regular game, fired up my save. Everything was great, had a marathon session that night. Went to bed. Wednesday, I go to load the game....I get an error stating that I cannot use my save from the full version in the trial version. Huh? My trial is over. I'm playing the full version that was paid for and preloaded. No. EVERY. FUCKING. SAVE. IS. GONE. 16 hours gone. Annoyed, I reinstalled the game, thinking this might help. Nope. My console is downloading the trial of the game, not the game shared copy. contact Microsoft. They don't have a clue. I contact EA. They don't have a clue. I tried this 3 times. For some reason that Microsoft and EA couldn't figure out, I was unable to use the shared version on my Xbox. My friend and I re-did our home consoles and all that. Nothing. We paid $60 for the game twice. I love this game so much I paid without blinking. But what the hell?

I'm a bit further now. I can't fathom how you can beat this game too fast, I'm not doing a lot of shitty sidequests and I'm probably in the last third, but like 20+ hours (if not 30+ haven't checked).

Honestly, the more I play it the more I think reviewers are being harsher with the game than it deserved. It's not a high 80s title by any means, but a Low 80s for sure.

RoKKeR

I am seriously struggling with map readability in this game... it's honestly complete garbage. That combined with the sometimes helpful/sometimes confusing navigation bar at the top and exploring the world can become a bit frustrating.

I am seriously struggling with map readability in this game... it's honestly complete garbage. That combined with the sometimes helpful/sometimes confusing navigation bar at the top and exploring the world can become a bit frustrating.

map readability is complete ass. You should be able to zoom out further to see the dark areas and what you still have to explore.

Silvard

After spending more money than I should have (seriously) I can confirm that once you have all Rares at rank X the Expert and Premium packs no longer guarantee anything, so they just start giving out 5 blue cards with supplies/boosters. The essentially become worthless except for the small chance of getting an Ultra Rare, which is pretty low. I don't know, I guess I was hoping that after getting all Rares to max that I'd start getting Ultra Rares consistently, but evidently that's not case.

As it is, getting Ultra Rares feels like a major drag.

Trickster

There's supposed to be music playing in the
dance club down in the kadara slums, right?
Because there aint in my game, and it makes it very awkward to be in that place

There's nothing really confusing about the map at all, it's all based on degrees of elevation and the more your explore around an area the more routes to areas on top of hills you can uncover and see.

It's why there's little ripple lines around hills of different shapes, some indicate hills and others indicate something steeper. But for those struggling to get to locations I definitely reccomend buying all the upgrades for the Nomad. It becomes pretty crazy all souped up.

Personally I'm level 32 in the campaign and it has definitely made Insanity easier now that I have dumped so many points into defensive passives, the sentinel profile, and some fully upgraded weapons.

Oh and that
remnant VI
you can unlock for tech is great for people like me on the highest difficulty when fully upgraded, I recommend it.

We paid $60 for the game twice. I love this game so much I paid without blinking. But what the hell?

Your post is a bit all over the place, but I mean... there are two of you, so you should buy two copies of the game. That is how commerce works. Unless I'm missing something I'm not sure what there is to complain about.

map readability is complete ass. You should be able to zoom out further to see the dark areas and what you still have to explore.
Unfortunately a lot of those dark areas are unexplorable, depending on how much of the map has been uncovered. The worlds are a fair size but you never open them up fully (you never reach the edge of the map but the edges of walls in the map). There will be sizeable chunks that will remain unexplored (the worlds aren't square like the maps).

Sai

Just got through with Eos. Didn't take so long because I was invested in the grind, being a completionist or anything; just haven't been playing the single player as much as I'd like due to my interest in the multiplayer, and other obligations. Plus, I started my first run on Insanity, because that's what I've always done since ME2. :p

I've got really mixed feelings about the game at this point. Enjoying it overall, but... Well, I'm sure plenty of other people have already said what I'd like to say much better than I ever could. So much about the visuals and overall presentation are so inconsistent. And I thought I wouldn't mind the animations much considering the scope of the game, but I have been experiencing way too many jarring moments in conversation, especially considering how early in the game I still am.

The combat's awesome though.

Krentist

Neo Member
Ultimately it makes me want having a ME Trilogy remaster and that's just disappointing.

I was totally thinking this just before Andromeda's release... I really want a legit remaster of the series, but I wonder how much that would cost them. I just really long for current gen high quality looking ME1 and 2 most of all. Maybe in the remaster it could also make all 3 games' combat like Andromeda's or at least ME3's.

Mifune

Mehmber
I would like a minute to complain...
My friend and I game share. He purchased the super mega digital whatever version of the game. I have EA Access. Great, right? No. I had the version that he paid for preloaded and ready to go. I played the trial. Did my 10 hours. Went to the regular game, fired up my save. Everything was great, had a marathon session that night. Went to bed. Wednesday, I go to load the game....I get an error stating that I cannot use my save from the full version in the trial version. Huh? My trial is over. I'm playing the full version that was paid for and preloaded. No. EVERY. FUCKING. SAVE. IS. GONE. 16 hours gone. Annoyed, I reinstalled the game, thinking this might help. Nope. My console is downloading the trial of the game, not the game shared copy. contact Microsoft. They don't have a clue. I contact EA. They don't have a clue. I tried this 3 times. For some reason that Microsoft and EA couldn't figure out, I was unable to use the shared version on my Xbox. My friend and I re-did our home consoles and all that. Nothing. We paid $60 for the game twice. I love this game so much I paid without blinking. But what the hell?

Oh shit. My friend and I game share as well. Was always worried about something like this happening.

Your post is a bit all over the place, but I mean... there are two of you, so you should buy two copies of the game. That is how commerce works. Unless I'm missing something I'm not sure what there is to complain about.

That's what the game share thing is. Microsoft allows it. My post is all over the place, yes you are correct. In a nutshell, my Xbox Live account got screwed up, and for some reason I was only allowed to play/download the trial version. I was unable to access the paid version.

Oh shit. My friend and I game share as well. Was always worried about something like this happening.

We've never had a problem, and have shared over a dozen games. I think this was just a problem with EA Access, the pre order bonus DLC, and weirdness.

jdstorm

Banned
I was totally thinking this just before Andromeda's release... I really want a legit remaster of the series, but I wonder how much that would cost them. I just really long for current gen high quality looking ME1 and 2 most of all. Maybe in the remaster it could also make all 3 games' combat like Andromeda's or at least ME3's.

Honestly i think they would have to do a complete remake rather then a remaster and that doesnt seem financially viable for EA.

Beyond that there are enough problems with the origional trillogy that fixing it would Alienate many of the people who wanted remasters in the first place.

Top Bottom