• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Enjoying the game overall. Great sense of exploration and adventure. But ugh, some of the writing is just horrendous. Spoilers for the early game Nilken murder side-quest:

Cool setup- he didn't kill the guy, but he absolutely meant to. But the only outcomes are exile him for a "crime he didn't commit" or free him since he technically didn't do it? What? Eight hundred years in the future, and suddenly attempted murder is not a crime? FUCKING WHY? There's obvious middle ground here and all I can see is Bioware's writing staff jacking each other off. How fucking stupid.

Attempted murder is a crime, but in Andromeda there's no room for middle ground at that point. They don't have the resources to jail him, so it's exile or nothing.

Bombless

You silly people and your single player. Why isn't anyone talking about the glorious new arrival in the Heleus cluster?!?

YFv5UKG.png

If this kind of madness is just the beginning of the MP addons I cannot wait for the rest lol.

Edit : If she has the gleeful character of the engie she will surely become my favourite.

You silly people and your single player. Why isn't anyone talking about the glorious new arrival in the Heleus cluster?!?

If this kind of madness is just the beginning of the MP addons I cannot wait for the rest lol.

Edit : If she has the gleeful character of the engie she will surely become my favourite.

I want this character a lot. She doesn't seem quite like the Krogan Warlord from ME3 multiplayer, but I've yet to see her skill tree.

Mifune

Mehmber
We've never had a problem, and have shared over a dozen games. I think this was just a problem with EA Access, the pre order bonus DLC, and weirdness.

What I mean is in this particular case, I have EA Access, he got an early copy of the game, was sharing it with me, so I was worried that my saves would somehow get messed up between his copy and my EA Access trial.

She looks like a lot of fun, I hope luck is on my side and I unlock her this weekend.

Love her design, but those skills... idk. Annihilation and Nova is a fun combo, but Pull? Not sure I'm seeing the utility there.

Need to see her skill tree I guess.

TheRed

I'm so torn on this game guys..

Last guardian, Nioh, Horizon, Zelda..

In that order are my last 4 games..

Combo breaker wiith ME:A?
Game is pretty great, loving the exploring, talking to crew members and the combat. Feels like good old Mass Effect even if it's not GOTY it's still very good to me. Though not having any performance issues on PC has likely colored my impressions more positively than others. Console versions seem to have more issues that might make it better to wait but I don't how bad they really get.

X-Frame

For those with Charge, which final evolution are you taking?

Shock Trooper: +75% Recharge Speed
Bastion: +75 Damage Resistence, +50% Shields Restored, +35% Damage

I feel like the first one is better when coupled with a specced out Annihilation and Nova, but just want to make sure.

Dany

Banned

I feel like the first one is better when coupled with a specced out Annihilation and Nova, but just want to make sure.

As a biotic I always go recharge speed over power, always had in previous games.

exYle

If you're doing nova you should go for shields. Charge in, nova, nova, charge

Zesh

I went with Shock Trooper; running Annihilation and Nova as well.

Is everyone using shields to fuel Nova? I'm actually not right now, but I'm considering changing to it.

Madness

Big Spoiler Paarchero thoughts?
So who did you guys save? Pathfinder Raeka and the Salarians or Drack scouts? On the one hand saving the Krogans means no more exaltation brcause they said they almost mapped the DNA of them. But on the other, Raeka was a solid Pathfinder and Salarians are more valuable no? Scouts know the risks they take, Salarians were just kidnapped from stasis. Thoughts?

Spirit3

Every single session of multiplayer has crashed to dashboard without fail. This has happened about 10 times now. Servers are trash. In Australia fyi.

TheRed

For all the comments about bad writing I've had a few times where I really had to stop and think hard about what I wanted to say, which is cool. At least much better than Fallout 4!

HariKari

For all the comments about bad writing I've had a few times where I really had to stop and think hard about what I wanted to say, which is cool. At least much better than Fallout 4!

I find those moments are greatly outweighed by the binary options where you should be able to say more, and how the conversation reaches the same conclusion regardless, unlike previous games.

Installing now. Going to take a short break from Zelda and try it out. If it doesn't grab me, I'll shelf it and happily return to Hyrule. If I like what I play, I'll just have to find a way to juggle the two.

I find those moments are greatly outweighed by the binary options where you should be able to say more, and how the conversation reaches the same conclusion regardless, unlike previous games.

I wouldn't say unlike previous games. Mass Effect 2 started to go this direction and Mass Effect 3 went in this direction even more.

I've definitely wrestled with a few dialogue options already. Not sure if it'll have any actual impact later, but in the moment it felt critical.

Silvard

I want this character a lot. She doesn't seem quite like the Krogan Warlord from ME3 multiplayer, but I've yet to see her skill tree.

I drew her twice on my recent spree. Are Ultra Rare characters worth it over lower rarity characters that are at Rank X? I can't even imagine how long it would take to get a Rank X Ultra Rare character.

Why isn't there a thread for Multiplayer and grouping up, theorycrafting, talking about builds, etc?

I feel that if anything, there's one thing that Andromeda does better than ME 2 & 3. It's more RPG compared to those.

I also love it that there are more named NPCs here, and most of them have something to say about our mission every now and then.

RoKKeR

LOL.
The handshake.
Actually laughed out loud.

Anyways, that sequence where you
encounter the kett leader in the scourge, he comes up on screen Star Trek style and then you just scurry off and oh happen to stumble upon a brand new alien planet that looks like 5 other Mass Effect series planets with aliens who can magically speak English.........sigh

At least it looks like Jaal is going to be a great character.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wait, mine looks like it's golden!?

I think there's multiple skins, where did you buy the game ? might be retailer stuff.

I got it from GameStop and it came with pre order code for some sweet armor which gives 25% extra combat EXP and 2 skins for the car, there's chrome (above) and a platinum which gives it sort of a rustic/red look.

diaspora

LOL.
The handshake.

encounter the kett leader in the scourge, he comes up on screen Star Trek style and then you just scurry off and oh happen to stumble upon a brand new alien planet that looks like 5 other Mass Effect series planets with aliens who can magically speak English.........sigh

No.
They've encountered humans and consequently learned the language from the exiles iirc.

Gamefly delivered today and I just got to the Nexus before turning it off.

My initial impressions are that it's lacking. I wasn't that engaged in the story presented thus far and checked out a couple times during the exposition.

I'm going to give it another go tomorrow, when I'm a bit more awake, and hopefully things will grab me more.

LOL.
The handshake.

There's multiple references to translators working/not working correctly once you come across their race. Jaal and Peebee quip about them here and there (at random on planets).

RoKKeR

There's multiple references to translators working/not working correctly once you come across their race. Jaal and Peebee quip about them here and there (at random on planets).

Yeah, I noticed that
in the team meeting after we picked up Jaal. Still, was just a bit jarring when the first person I see on that planet starts ripping off English.

Trickster

I feel that if anything, there's one thing that Andromeda does better than ME 2 & 3. It's more RPG compared to those.

I also love it that there are more named NPCs here, and most of them have something to say about our mission every now and then.

I can't tell you how much I disagree with that. To me this doesn't feel like an rpg at all. the conversations in the game so far offers hardly any kind of meaningful choice, it's almost pure exposition. The main form of choice and "roleplay" comes from what order you choose to hear a characters exposition.

Yeah, I noticed that
in the team meeting after we picked up Jaal. Still, was just a bit jarring when the first person I see on that planet starts ripping off English.
Yeah threw me off as well. I kinda wanted them to be speaking their own tongue and have that barrier of communication be played out for a little while at least. Same with the Kett.

Travel for 600yrs to a new galaxy and the first alien you actually hold conversation with speaks English with an European accent to boot. 🙃

Mine is black. Is it somewhat random?
I think there's multiple skins, where did you buy the game ? might be retailer stuff.

I got it from GameStop and it came with pre order code for some sweet armor which gives 25% extra combat EXP and 2 skins for the car, there's chrome (above) and a platinum which gives it sort of a rustic/red look.
Oh yeah, it's probably a shop specific thing. I pre-ordered mine from PSN. Got the Nomad skin that I posted above and a 15% XP armor.

Say what? The previous games were notorious for having different reactions trigger the exact same voiced lines.

No.
They've encountered humans and consequently learned the language from the exiles iirc.

Yeah, this is really poorly conveyed. The game tries to play it up like the Pathfinder just made history and discovered a new alien race. But then you can find out via overheard dialogue and datapads that they have already encountered people from the Nexus.

LOLCats

Banned
I can't tell you how much I disagree with that. To me this doesn't feel like an rpg at all. the conversations in the game so far offers hardly any kind of meaningful choice, it's almost pure exposition. The main form of choice and "roleplay" comes from what order you choose to hear a characters exposition.

This. While cheapish, renegade and paragon provided different outcomes based on your responses. So far, this is not that.

Stider

Using the Asari duelist and most likely going Bastion as it recharges fairly quickly anyway and the extra shields help if I use a melee build/ take lance powerup using shields for no cd. Asari duelist can be build as a beastly melee unit, at level 6 was 2 hit melee killing yellow unshielded units. For people using melee, buying the juggernaut armour is so handy.

Top Bottom