• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

hbkdx12

Anyone have any good crafting recipes?

I've been using my pathfinder assault rifle and just been upgrading to each level and slapping on a few augs and mods but i haven't found the need to go out of my way to fiddle with the crafting stuff even though i have over 1000 research points in each of the 3 categories.

RoKKeR

Yeah threw me off as well. I kinda wanted them to be speaking their own tongue and have that barrier of communication be played out for a little while at least. Same with the Kett.

Travel for 600yrs to a new galaxy and the first alien you actually hold conversation with speaks English with an European accent to boot. 🙃

Say what? The previous games were notorious for having different reactions trigger the exact same voiced lines.

Yeah, this is really poorly conveyed. The game tries to play it up like the Pathfinder just made history and discovered a new alien race. But then you can find out via overheard dialogue and datapads that they have already encountered people from the Nexus.
Yeah, considering those are
"the moments they came for"
it felt like a bungled opportunity for something really neat. Too bad, as I feel the
kett reveal
was similarly uninspired.

Anyways, any time I'm getting ready to rip on this game more, I have a conversation with Vetra or Drak and my opinion turns around. Those are the standout characters so far and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface with them.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dove head first into this game since launch. It's freakin' fun! Eos quests just don't stop. Continue with main story, go back and tons more to do and discover. Eos is the Hinderlands isn't it? =P

Yeah, considering those are
"the moments they came for"
it felt like a bungled opportunity for something really neat. Too bad, as I feel the
kett reveal
was similarly uninspired.

Anyways, any time I'm getting ready to rip on this game more, I have a conversation with Vetra or Drak and my opinion turns around. Those are the standout characters so far and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface with them.
I wish I could take Vetra Peebee and Jaal along with me all at the same time. They're incredibly interesting to me, but since I can only pick two, it's been Peebee and Jaal.

I can't tell you how much I disagree with that. To me this doesn't feel like an rpg at all. the conversations in the game so far offers hardly any kind of meaningful choice, it's almost pure exposition. The main form of choice and "roleplay" comes from what order you choose to hear a characters exposition.

Yeah, most of them are meaningless but there are quests where you had to make a choice and I feel like those will have meaningful impacts to the character or the Initiative as a whole later. In gameplay aspect, the weapon and armor customizations alone have already made Andromeda more RPG than the previous two games.

Dove head first into this game since launch. It's freakin' fun! Eos quests just don't stop. Continue with main story, go back and tons more to do and discover. Eos is the Hinderlands isn't it? =P

Not really. You'll hit the 'wall' shortly and have to leave Eos until later. Mainly due to the high level hazard.

There's no such wall in the Hinterlands and it's somewhat fixed in Andromeda.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Not really. You'll hit the 'wall' shortly and have to leave Eos until later. Mainly due to the high level hazard.

There's no such wall in the Hinterlands and it's somewhat fixed in Andromeda.

Yeah, I'm past that high level hazards. Just clearing quests, finding gravity wells, etc. I'll move on to a new planet next session.

Stider

Is everyone making sure to send teams out on strike missions? I started sending out teams when the app and the game wasn't out here(Aus) till the 23rd and I managed to finish some gold missions with extremely low % chance. Opened the boxes and got a bunch or R and UR weapons(Black Widow!!).

hbkdx12

Is everyone making sure to send teams out on strike missions? I started sending out teams when the app and the game wasn't out here(Aus) till the 23rd and I managed to finish some gold missions with extremely low % chance. Opened the boxes and got a bunch or R and UR weapons(Black Widow!!).

Yeah the apex app is great. Even gives you notifications when a strike is finished. Haven't tried any of the gold ones yet. I got my first team leveled enough where they have about 80% chance of success on silver missions and i just bought a new team that im going to start grinding through bronze missions

Haven't even stepped foot in the MP yet.

Grisby

Well, Mass Effect definitely hasn't felt this "explor-able" since ME1. I'm on the third mission and they really did take DAI's formula of big zones, although I haven't seen anything remotely as big as the HInterlands yet (EOS still hasn't opened all the way up though).

I'm a bit torn, I like driving the nomad around and the planets are more fun then the ones you'd get out of ME1 due to the fact that there is stuff to do. However, I miss the carefully crafted levels of ME2/ME3.

Perhaps that'll change with some more main missions as I'm still early in the game. I still haven't done anyone's loyalty mission yet either and I imagine there's some unique stuff there because you have to take them along (right?).

TheRed

Loving the game but man they needed to create a lot more strange alien species. Please anything different than bipedal with same basic face structure as humans (Would also like to not automatically have everything translated to english immediately). A mechanic of learning more of the language over the course of the game until translation is perfect would be cool, something like how Rise of the Tomb Raider did it. So much potential for stuff like that in Andromeda.

Also much much weirder planets, the physics should be all fucked up and weird sometimes. We should be seeing things that we just don't understand and much more than just dark metal structures with glowy lights... that's been done a million times. They had the right idea with Habitat 7 but seemed to have dropped it for more safe style planets later. If they get to make another sequel they need to go all out on weird and new stuff and just say huh what a coincidence the Heleus cluster wasn't so different from home but man all of these other places in Andromeda are insane.

-Still have a long way to go in this game and hope there's more crazy things to see.

TheFatMan

This game has so many janky problems.

I'm in the first
vault
and every god damn time I open up my menu the game gets darker, like it's turning down the brightness.

I've had to reload at every auto save point just so I can see what I'm doing.

I finally had to restart the entire game to get it to stop, I could literally make my screen go pure black if I opened and closed my menu a bunch lol. Stupid bugs.

RoKKeR

Loving the game but man they needed to create a lot more strange alien species. Please anything different than bipedal with same basic face structure as humans (Would also like to not automatically have everything translated to english immediately). A mechanic of learning more of the language over the course of the game until translation is perfect would be cool, something like how Rise of the Tomb Raider did it. So much potential for stuff like that in Andromeda.

Also much much weirder planets, the physics should be all fucked up and weird sometimes. We should be seeing things that we just don't understand and much more than just dark metal structures with glowy lights... that's been done a million times. They had the right idea with Habitat 7 but seemed to have dropped it for more safe style planets later. If they get to make another sequel they need to go all out on weird and new stuff and just say huh what a coincidence the Heleus cluster wasn't so different from home but man all of these other places in Andromeda are insane.

-Still have a long way to go in this game and hope there's more crazy things to see.
Completely agree here. Perfect opportunity and a clean slate to get creative with stuff like this, and so far I've seen very little that felt new.

hbkdx12

Completely agree here. Perfect opportunity and a clean slate to get creative with stuff like this, and so far I've seen very little that felt new.

The thing that annoys me is that i'd be willing to give them a pass if they weren't so adamant about moving away from the trilogy and insisting that this was going to feel like it's own new thing.

ironcreed

Banned
A few grabs from tonight:

The atmosphere is amazing.

Laekon

i don't understand drone mining via the vehicle

Do i drop the drone and move on?
It's kind of stupid. You get the minerals right away. It also drops on top of the nomad.

I also love how you get the same amounts whether you mine from the Tempest, Nomad drone, or just pick up a rock as you run by.

LNBL

I would like a minute to complain...
My friend and I game share. He purchased the super mega digital whatever version of the game. I have EA Access. Great, right? No. I had the version that he paid for preloaded and ready to go. I played the trial. Did my 10 hours. Went to the regular game, fired up my save. Everything was great, had a marathon session that night. Went to bed. Wednesday, I go to load the game....I get an error stating that I cannot use my save from the full version in the trial version. Huh? My trial is over. I'm playing the full version that was paid for and preloaded. No. EVERY. FUCKING. SAVE. IS. GONE. 16 hours gone. Annoyed, I reinstalled the game, thinking this might help. Nope. My console is downloading the trial of the game, not the game shared copy. contact Microsoft. They don't have a clue. I contact EA. They don't have a clue. I tried this 3 times. For some reason that Microsoft and EA couldn't figure out, I was unable to use the shared version on my Xbox. My friend and I re-did our home consoles and all that. Nothing. We paid $60 for the game twice. I love this game so much I paid without blinking. But what the hell?

Hmm weird. My mate bought the super deluxe edition as well and we were able to transition from the trial to the full game without any problems. Didn't experience what you described.

Madness

The thing that annoys me is that i'd be willing to give them a pass if they weren't so adamant about moving away from the trilogy and insisting that this was going to feel like it's own new thing.

The more you play, it really seems like a poor mans ME3. I honestly think they just randomly came up with an idea of, 'shit we fucked up the milky way, let's just go to Andromeda and make it 600 years later'. There is very little emotional brevity with the game. Anyone remember the feeling of ME2 when you import Shepard and the first thing that happens is he is killed a revived? What about the feeling of being on Ilos in ME1 and finding out what happened to the Protheans and what the Citadel really is etc.

Andromeda is empty. It is devoid of any heart, any soul, any connection to anything. The first meeting with the Kett could have been so much more than a 5 second dilemma of first contact. Or the Angara. The same tired tropes of the previous trilogy are back and you'll see the more you play.

I mean in Mass Effect 2, compare and contrast Liara, Samara, Morinth, Aria T'Loak and many more Asari. Now compare anyone who isn't PeeBee in this game. Dr. Aridana, Keri, Dr. Lexi and others who I won't spoil. The entire execution of this game is off. All I think when I play is this is all a missed opportunity. How this could be better. And yet when I first played ME1, I was speechless first time being on the Citadel watching the Destiny Ascension flyby, seeing Omega for the first time in ME2, how white knuckle it felt immediately being thrown into a collector mission no warning, even in ME3 seeing Tuchanka and Mordin's sacrifice, etc.

I can't tell you how much I disagree with that. To me this doesn't feel like an rpg at all. the conversations in the game so far offers hardly any kind of meaningful choice, it's almost pure exposition. The main form of choice and "roleplay" comes from what order you choose to hear a characters exposition.

Something I see pretty often around gaf is that people don't realize that combat is just a small part of what makes a game an RPG. I agree with your assessment.

Trace

Banned
The more you play, it really seems like a poor mans ME3. I honestly think they just randomly came up with an idea of, 'shit we fucked up the milky way, let's just go to Andromeda and make it 600 years later'. There is very little emotional brevity with the game. Anyone remember the feeling of ME2 when you import Shepard and the first thing that happens is he is killed a revived? What about the feeling of being on Ilos in ME1 and finding out what happened to the Protheans and what the Citadel really is etc.

Andromeda is empty. It is devoid of any heart, any soul, any connection to anything. The first meeting with the Kett could have been so much more than a 5 second dilemma of first contact. Or the Angara. The same tired tropes of the previous trilogy are back and you'll see the more you play.

I mean in Mass Effect 2, compare and contrast Liara, Samara, Morinth, Aria T'Loak and many more Asari. Now compare anyone who isn't PeeBee in this game. Dr. Aridana, Keri, Dr. Lexi and others who I won't spoil. The entire execution of this game is off. All I think when I play is this is all a missed opportunity. How this could be better. And yet when I first played ME1, I was speechless first time being on the Citadel watching the Destiny Ascension flyby, seeing Omega for the first time in ME2, how white knuckle it felt immediately being thrown into a collector mission no warning, even in ME3 seeing Tuchanka and Mordin's sacrifice, etc.

I agree, there's a lot of exposition about "man we're all gonna die we're marooned in a distant universe", but you never actually feel it. The closest I got to that is when you get to the
Nexus and there's no one there, you feel like you're alone for all of 5 seconds until you see some random dude, and suddenly there's 100 people every where.
You never feel like there's anything riding on what you're doing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That first meeting with Jaal...woof.
Going from the cutscene transition into a planet where you don't understand their language, right into someone talking to you from that point forward all in English is REALLY not done well.

I've been finding the writing fine but they seriously dropped the ball on that part.

That said, I've actually been enjoying this a lot. Definitely has some rough patches, I've noticed it primarily with the talking over the shoulder moments that happens with NPCs a lot. Frequently puts you way too close to them afterwards and it causes their pathing to get all wonky, so I've seen a hell of a lot of people moving/teleporting around and general jank like that. Still, the Tempest and crew are a particular highlight, it really adds a lot seeing them in different spots on the ship interacting with eachother, and doing different things on the Nexus.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm enjoying the everloving shit out of this game. I've been playing ME2 along side this and the improvements they've made over the years are clear as day.

I used a handy Reddit guide to make my Fem Ryder and I'm extremely happy with the outcome.

I'm excited with how the story is playing out. Everything about this game screams Mass Effect to me right now.

I think the only thing that has been jarring has been the MP and how the camera is zoomed in a lot more on the character.

Pheace

I'm a bit confused about crafting atm, I've spent all my research on Augmentations so far since they also get a chance to drop in the field after crafting them, but I'm fairly sure I've been getting upgraded weapons added to my Development somehow ? Did I find those in chests or is it just because I progressed the story or something?

DC1

Everything has been cheapened with ME-A. The writing, the voice acting, the graphics, the animations. How can/could this happen??? What the hell has EA done!!!

...My wife just asked me to please stop playing. She said the voice acting was so sterile that it was putting her to sleep (she wasn't even paying attention to me playing).

😥😥... ME1 and 2 was my greatest gaming one two punch of all time (I evangelized ME2). I thought ME3 was beautiful technically and disgusting story wise..but still a wonderful tragedy.

However ME-A..Is just horrible ...I decided to stop playing and wait for the inevitable updates/patches (which do not speak to my disappointments) before continuing. My heart is broken.

EA continues to impress in ways that astonish those who have seen it all.

Note:. I'm 10/15 hours in knocked bout EOS out of obligation.

Meowster

A Trail of Hope spoilers;
Is this fight against the Cardinal supposed to be taking 30+ minutes? My last attempt against her was that long and I got her down to about a fourth of her health remaining before my stupid ass fell off a cliff. Am I doing something wrong or?

malfcn

Finally got to put in some time. Insanity is fast, you can die almost before an encounter really begins.

The cover system is really loose. The controls feel loose too.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Is this fight against the Cardinal supposed to be taking 30+ minutes? My last attempt against her was that long and I got her down to about a fourth of her health remaining before my stupid ass fell off a cliff. Am I doing something wrong or?

Uh.....depends on the difficulty, but...I wouldn't think so?

You're shooting her shield orb first to make it drop, right? You can take out about a 1/4 (or maybe 1/3, can't remember) of her health each time before she regens it

I'm a bit confused about crafting atm, I've spent all my research on Augmentations so far since they also get a chance to drop in the field after crafting them, but I'm fairly sure I've been getting upgraded weapons added to my Development somehow ? Did I find those in chests or is it just because I progressed the story or something?

You get 'basic' weapon research upgrades automatically when you reach level up checkpoints. (I think every 10 levels)

Upgraded to 65 slots now... that's way too low.

You can get one more '15 slot' eventually, but it as well as some other Nexus cryo pod perks are locked behind viability of later planets.

Like, you can't even see them until you've uncovered the planet in question.

You are hitting the
ball circling
her? I assume you are. It took me 7 or 8 minutes on Normal I guess. Don't really remember what I did. I think incendiary is the way to go once the shield is down so take plenty of incendiary ammo and use incendiary tech combo's.

Meowster

Uh.....depends on the difficulty, but...I wouldn't think so?

You're shooting her shield orb first to make it drop, right? You can take out about a 1/4 (or maybe 1/3, can't remember) each time before she regens it

You are hitting the
ball circling
her? I assume you are. It took me 7 or 8 minutes on Normal I guess. Don't really remember what I did. I think incendiary is the way to go once the shield is down so take plenty of incendiary ammo and use incendiary tech combo's.
Maybe I am doing it wrong by using my biotic abilities/combos whenever she's visible? I'll try just shooting her instead and see if that works any better. I'm doing it on normal. Not having any issue getting the ball down, even if it takes awhile.

Bombless

I drew her twice on my recent spree. Are Ultra Rare characters worth it over lower rarity characters that are at Rank X? I can't even imagine how long it would take to get a Rank X Ultra Rare character.

Why isn't there a thread for Multiplayer and grouping up, theorycrafting, talking about builds, etc?

UR chars aren't necessarily better than common ones, but they're super cooler! And having a character to X level doesn't add any power in itself, you just have more customisation options and a lot of skill points, you could just level up the UR with boosts and not care much.

This game has so many janky problems.

I'm in the first
vault
and every god damn time I open up my menu the game gets darker, like it's turning down the brightness.

I've had to reload at every auto save point just so I can see what I'm doing.

I finally had to restart the entire game to get it to stop, I could literally make my screen go pure black if I opened and closed my menu a bunch lol. Stupid bugs.

That's pretty weird. I take it you're playing on the PC? If so, are you playing with the mouse and keyboard or a controller? Also, is this happening for you every time you run the game?

Feels like weird glitches are happening more and more frequently the further I get into the game. Mostly on the Tempest, but also elsewhere.

Edit: These all were just within the last hour.

- Getting stuck in a strange 'baby step' walk after jetpacking
- NPCs typing on surfaces that don't have keyboards
- Duplicate Dreks after initiating a conversation with him
- Talking to a companion on the Tempest and getting teleported to a different room/area
- Peebee is stuck looking like she's leaning against something, but she's out in the open
- Having a conversation with an NPC and having them be almost completely off screen
- NPCs blinking in and out of existence
- NPCs darting around, as if they're trying to catch up to something

Xevren

The multiplayer is amazing. Now that I'm used to it, it's just so damn fun. Honestly haven't ran into any dc/lag issues really. Main thing I hate is the matchmaking bugs if you want to queue up with a friend. That shit is whack.

Definitely going to have to find some people on here to play like we used to in the ME 3 days <3

Just recruited the final squad mate and now I'm off to most likely spend several hours side questing. I'm enjoying the game quite a bit so far and it's definitely surpassed my pre-launch expectations.

It has its issues and quirks but nothing that's gone so far as to hinder my enjoyment of the game.

carlsojo

Started an insanity playthrough just to see what it's like. Not too bad really. It really shows how terrible the squadmate AI is though.

Holy shit my main character looks high all the time, is this on purpose? Like he said, he is still 'feeling it' after being on the journey as a popsicle for 600 years.

Jharp

Attempted murder is a crime, but in Andromeda there's no room for middle ground at that point. They don't have the resources to jail him, so it's exile or nothing.

I mean, sure, that's fine, but
then just have him exiled FOR attempted murder. This ridiculous pussyfooting around where we try to decide whether we punish him for a crime he didn't commit or set him free even though he MEANT to commit the crime makes no sense because you can take the punishment part from column A and the attempt part from column B and reach the perfect middle ground: we punish him for attempted murder. Punishment is exile.

Top Bottom