• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

Browny

Banned
If Eva Marie can stop drinking, surely I can, right?

Eva Marie needs to watch post-97 WCW. The circle will be complete.

Edit: damned new page...

wwf-christian-and-ddp-o.gif

Sblargh

Banned
The gimmicks are the issue.

What's Tyler Breeze's motivation for fighting in WWE? The guy is a famous fashion model, why would he be fighting at all and risking his face and livelihood? Did they ever explain this?

Why do all the Divas who want to be models do it? It's to get exposure, mang. He is not famous, he just acts like he is.

strobogo

Banned

What's Tyler Breeze's motivation for fighting in WWE? The guy is a famous fashion model, why would he be fighting at all and risking his face and livelihood? Did they ever explain this?

I don't think you should worry about shit like that. That's just part of wrestling. What was a prison guard competing in a wrestling ring? Why was a tax man wrestling? Why was a million dollar man competing in the ring when he could just..live the life of a rich man? If you start thinking like that, then there would be NO gimmicks and everyone would be like 50s NWA guys.

WWE has two Africans on their roster. They're both white.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't think you should worry about shit like that. That's just part of wrestling. What was a prison guard competing in a wrestling ring? Why was a tax man wrestling? Why was a million dollar man competing in the ring when he could just..live the life of a rich man? If you start thinking like that, then there would be NO gimmicks and everyone would be like 50s NWA guys.

WWE has two Africans on their roster. They're both white.

Fair enough, gimmicks are definitely necessary.

I'm fine with gimmicks, but I need at least some motivation here and there. Give me an interview where Breeze says he wants the attention or that he's just doing it for exposure. Fine, I'm good. But nope, nothing, for all I know he is genuinely a famous model. I also believe this is the reason none of the NXT guys get over on the main roster, they are nothing more than the one thing that's their gimmick.

The Million Dollar man was rich, but he also wanted to use his wealth to be succesful in wrestling. I can accept that, he's rich and he'll use his money to gain power in wrestling and even goes as far as to buy the world championship instead of fairly winning. That's a gimmick done right, that gimmick at least has motivation.

Also, Adam Rose has been retconned and is now from England I believe.

Oh, and Kofi, he's from Ghana.

strobogo

Banned
It's not really about where he's bill from. They have two dudes from Africa on their roster and they're both white guys. Then again, WCW in 1990 had their international tag tournament and the African team were two white guys from the US. Although they did beat a team of two black guys to gain entry, although I really have my doubts that either of them were actually from Africa. I mean one of the dudes was Rocco Rock.

Oh shit, I forgot about Kofi. He's still Jamaican (me crazy) to me.

JavyOO7

WWE should go all in with the Breeeze silliness. He says in a promo he wants to win the title because it'd do phenomenal things for his fashion career. So when he does win the title they show vignettes of him in fashion shows and the crowd there going wild because he won the belt.

Or if Rose were to ever win a title they could show vignettes of him going to night clubs around the country partying like mad with a whole crowd screaming his name and other non sense like that. He could afford to do that now because winning the championship won him a lot of money.

Cagey

Banned

Why does any of that matter? He's in WWE, therefore he wants to wrestle and win championships. Who actually thinks about this?

Hasney

I think there needs to be more hometown silliness. Lodi was announce as being "allegedly anywhere he pleases so not *town they were in*". That needs to come back.

strobogo

Banned
I have a lolUSAcops story with a personal connection to. My aunt was married to a local cop. They divorced a long time ago, but he's still in good standing with the family. There was a SWAT situation in town. The suspect was a long time friend of ex-uncle and only wanted to speak to him. So ex-uncle goes in with out a weapon, talks the guy down, and gets the guy to come out with no bullets being shot. And they BOTH got arrested, I guess because he didn't take a weapon with him and made sure no one got shot. Cops arresting people because they didn't get to shoot them. Only in America!

don-king.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
Didn't Breeze say that the NXT belt would be a fantastic accessory at one point?

If he did, I stand corrected.

Why does any of that matter? He's in WWE, therefore he wants to wrestle and win championships. Who actually thinks about this?

I do, because I like to tell stories myself. One-dimensional characters do nothing for me, a character is only as good as its backstory and motivations, this goes just as much in wrestling as in any other kind of theater.

I think there needs to be more hometown silliness. Lodi was announce as being "allegedly anywhere he pleases so not *town they were in*". That needs to come back.

Actually, this I like about Breeze, they've billed him from:
Seasonal residence in Milan, Italy
Seasonal residence in Campo Grande, Brazil

Great, more of this!

strobogo

Banned
If he did, I stand corrected.

I do, because I like to tell stories myself. One-dimensional characters do nothing for me, a character is only as good as its backstory and motivations, this goes just as much in wrestling as in any other kind of theater.

You must really hate wrestling then, because there can't be more than 10 guys in 100 years that were more than one-dimensional characters. It's not really a form of entertainment that allows for much more than one-dimensional, surface level guys.

Aiii

So not worth it
You must really hate wrestling then, because there can't be more than 10 guys in 100 years that were more than one-dimensional characters. It's not really a form of entertainment that allows for much more than one-dimensional, surface level guys.

I'm not arguing I need A Song of Ice and fire levels of backstory and world building or anything. But at least give me some motivations beyond the one thing that they do when they enter the ring.

strobogo

Banned
I'm not arguing I need A Song of Ice and fire levels of backstory and world building or anything. But at least give me some motivations beyond the one thing that they do when they enter the ring.

99% of wrestling characters: One thing that sets them apart, be it they are a Native American, possibly undead guy, nasty, big and sexy, etc.

99% of wrestling stories: Guys don't like each other, fight. Then move on to the next guy they don't like and fight them.

Aiii

So not worth it
99% of wrestling characters: One thing that sets them apart, be it they are a Native American, possibly undead guy, nasty, big and sexy, etc.

99% of wrestling stories: Guys don't like each other, fight. Then move on to the next guy they don't like and fight them.

As long as there is a reason they don't like eachother, fine.

If it's "Guy beat me last week with a roll-up, now I don't like him" then I'm bored and give no shits about your next fight.

strobogo

Banned
What if the story is "Naomi beat AJ 3 times with roll ups and now AJ is really angry, but also scared that she might lose again to a roll up"?

Aiii

So not worth it
What if the story is "Naomi beat AJ 3 times with roll ups and now AJ is really angry, but also scared that she might lose again to a roll up"?

If it wasn't the 5th month and challenger in a row that happened, with AJ* winning every title match and losing every non-title match, sure it could be a valid storyline.

*Feel free Replace AJ with any title holder over the past 10 years.

Now the storyline above would be much more interesting if it played off AJ's confidence that the Total Divas aren't wrestlers and just there to look pretty and be on the reality show and then losing to Naomi in a title match after beating all the other Total Divas before. Naomi would prove her wrong and look strong in the process because she managed to beat the douchebag heel champ?

strobogo

Banned
Champions in general should wrestle much less often on TV. Challenge winning a non-title match to get a title match is a tried and true formula in wrestling, but before the Monday Night War, champions wrestled way less often on TV, so it didn't become super tired and stale. It's weird to me that WWE never changed back to the old model after they bought WCW, but they still run shit like they have to have their top stars wrestling every week. Even in the Attitude Era, Austin wasn't on TV that much and he wrestled even less until the Invasion period.

You watch most 1998-1999 Raws and be shocked at how little screen time Austin actually has.

World champions should wrestle rarely on TV. Maybe once a month. US/IC should more frequently, but not every show, unless you make that the point of the reign. Same for tag and women stuff.

Cagey

Banned
I guess I just don't understand this Brandon Stroudian fantasyland fandom of wrestling where you invent all the motivations and backstories and make sure to tie all the haphazardly strewn about threads together yourself and be the Keeper of the Canon.

Aiii

So not worth it
I guess I just don't understand this Brandon Stroudian fantasyland fandom of wrestling where you invent all the motivations and backstories and make sure to tie all the haphazardly strewn about threads together yourself and be the Keeper of the Canon.

You have to invent them because they aren't there.

Wrestling would be better if they were.

Lets say someone in the writing staff had actually remembered Team Hell No and made a storyline between Bryan and Kane based off of their previous friendship and the fact Kane had sold out by joining The Authority and opposing Bryan instead of "DEMON KANE TRIES TO KIDNAP BRIE BELLA." Wouldn't that have been more fun to watch?

Sblargh

Banned
I say this when people ask me what I'm finding so interesting about wrestling and then they think I'm trolling, but Opera doesn't usually have the greatest characters and motivations, either. If you could do a novel that tells the exact stuff that happens in the ring of nibelung (my favorite opera), geeks would have a field day pointing out flaws in the plot.

Some forms of art are all about the feels and not about the rational aspects. I get wanting something rational to latch on, i.e., proper motivation - or any motivation at all - it's not an unreasonable request, but the medium itself denies most of it; there's only so much you can communicate while singing along with an orchestra and there's only so much you can communicate while grappling and throwing people around; I say there has to be a kind of fire, and part of it has to be out of nowhere; I don't think wrestlers really need motivation, but they 100% need to be motivated. If a backstory helps you get to that fire, then go for it, but if you can summon it just out of base desire to overcome a challenge, that's possibly better.

I don't need to know why he wants to win, but I need to see him wanting to win, not because of the promo he gives, but because of the fire on the ring. It's all about the ring. It's such a good stage.

I know I may be getting corny or annoying or whatever with these kind of thoughts, but I can't help but feel that this thing here is something special. It makes me want to figure it out. It's so different from everything else.

Browny

Banned
Champions in general should wrestle much less often on TV. Challenge winning a non-title match to get a title match is a tried and true formula in wrestling, but before the Monday Night War, champions wrestled way less often on TV, so it didn't become super tired and stale. It's weird to me that WWE never changed back to the old model after they bought WCW, but they still run shit like they have to have their top stars wrestling every week. Even in the Attitude Era, Austin wasn't on TV that much and he wrestled even less until the Invasion period.

You watch most 1998-1999 Raws and be shocked at how little screen time Austin actually has.

World champions should wrestle rarely on TV. Maybe once a month. US/IC should more frequently, but not every show, unless you make that the point of the reign. Same for tag and women stuff.

Agreed. I remember early to mid-90's shows, people would turn up to do commentary, or cut a promo (normally heels telling people how great they were, and how no-one was good enough to challenge them - a good way to start a feud). Simple way of getting camera time, but not having to do much (or any) physical work.

God forbid they bring back the "interview in the corner of the screen" style of things - that could work.

Raw doesn't need to be three hours. You dilute the product, over-expose it, and the quality suffers.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
More teams need to come out at a total combined height instead of weight.

DMczaf

WWE should go all in with the Breeeze silliness. He says in a promo he wants to win the title because it'd do phenomenal things for his fashion career. So when he does win the title they show vignettes of him in fashion shows and the crowd there going wild because he won the belt.

Or if Rose were to ever win a title they could show vignettes of him going to night clubs around the country partying like mad with a whole crowd screaming his name and other non sense like that. He could afford to do that now because winning the championship won him a lot of money.

Nah.

How about, after they win the title they feud with THE DEMON KANE for 3-4 months?

Watching wm x-seven man the announce team was just so good. As was the crowd and matches. I really wish I could have seen this announce team during taker and Brock and db winning.

Edit: just add today's crowd involvement into x-seven would be crazy .

Sblargh

Banned
So, what would you prefer? 5 hours of weekly programming if they had a roster of, I don't know, 100 people so there would be almost no repeats for a month or 2 to 3 hour tops of weekly programming that keeps the current structure of the same people fighting the same fights?

Browny

Banned
So, what would you prefer? 5 hours of weekly programming if they had a roster of, I don't know, 100 people so there would be almost no repeats for a month or 2 to 3 hour tops of weekly programming that keeps the current structure of the same people fighting the same fights?

Bringing back jobbers could be a good start in cutting out repeat matches every other week. Use some of the local talent (like they did with Ryback), give them a comeback spot but lose. Person is featured, no-one is buried.

Cagey

Banned
More teams need to come out at a total combined height instead of weight.

At a combined height of 10 feet, 6 inches and a combined weight of 313 pounds... THE YOUNG BUCKS.

Lets say someone in the writing staff had actually remembered Team Hell No and made a storyline between Bryan and Kane based off of their previous friendship and the fact Kane had sold out by joining The Authority and opposing Bryan instead of "DEMON KANE TRIES TO KIDNAP BRIE BELLA." Wouldn't that have been more fun to watch?

The only enjoyment from it would be the video packages. Beyond that, no, it wouldn't be much better.

Unfortunately WWE writers can't seem to control themselves when they get a Kane event storyline, it's like they finally have an excuse to write the horrible B movie script they've longed for minus the bloody conclusions that would usually accompany such a theme because that just ain't PG at all.

Sblargh

Banned
Unfortunately WWE writers can't seem to control themselves when they get a Kane event storyline, it's like they finally have an excuse to write the horrible B movie script they've longed for minus the bloody conclusions that would usually accompany such a theme because that just ain't PG at all.

They got a neck surgery out of this last one. There must have been high fives all day.

Edit: Off-topic, I went to hear some classical music after my brilliant dissertation on the artform of wrasslin' and goddamn it, even youtube comments for classical music is... well:

George Maratos2 weeks ago

....do...not call Nietzsche snob like

Tigran Aleksanyan3 months ago

+LindemannAdam Go and fuck yourself, "big boy"!

A Jalapeño6 days ago

These performances that remove all the singing are an abomination

Edit 2: Oh man, this exchange is great.

Eddie VanHouten2 months ago

Why is a one hour mix of Hans Zimmer in the recommendationlist? Hans Zimmer is like a slimy worm compared to Wagner

Nordwand1 month ago

If you are honest to yourself, we are all worms compared to our ancestors. In a world full of meaningless distractions and perverted values Hans Zimmer in comparison indeed is a genius

They got a neck surgery out of this last one. There must have been high fives all day.
Well they can't kill characters but they can kill careers, this would do well to explain the booking of Zack Ryder in the Embrace the hate saga, he was the "murder" victim all along.

Edit: Off-topic, I went to hear some classical music after my brilliant dissertation on the artform of wrasslin' and goddamn it, even youtube comments for classical music is... well:

*vintage youtube*

At first I was surprised and then I wondered why I was surprised at all.

Sblargh

Banned
When youtube launched, I uploaded an Arcade Fire with David Bowie video just to see what this youtube thing was all about. And then I wrote "If you don't cry listening to this, you are dead inside".
This was 8 years ago. The debate about this one sentence is still raging on.

Also, I can say a youtube video I uploaded has over 4 million views.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If me and FE were a tag team:

At a total combined height of 13 feet!

At a total combined weight of almost six hundred pounds!

When youtube launched, I uploaded an Arcade Fire with David Bowie video just to see what this youtube thing was all about. And then I wrote "If you don't cry listening to this, you are dead inside".
This was 8 years ago. The debate about this one sentence is still raging on.

Also, I can say a youtube video I uploaded has over 4 million views.

I know what you mean. Anytime that horrible band comes on I cry. Arcade Fire is for shits.

Sblargh

Banned
I actually never listened anything from Arcade Fire after the first album.
2006 was such a weird year. I would get drunk, listen to hipster music and just walk around São Paulo alone at night while not being mugged for some reason. Then I started to like Beat Happening and Talulah Gosh and left indie rock behind.
So weird.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I actually never listened anything from Arcade Fire after the first album.
2006 was such a weird year. I would get drunk, listen to hipster music and just walk around São Paulo alone at night while not being mugged for some reason. Then I started to like Beat Happening and Talulah Gosh and left indie rock behind.
So weird.

Beat Happening? You? Did you listen to any shitty bands like Sebadoh or Sonic Youth?

To show my appreciation, I am a big Sepultura fan. Or was...

strobogo

Banned
I'm pretty sure that Noel Gallagher is England's greatest musical export since the days of Zep/Who. Even if he and his brother are cunts. Noel is way LESS of a cunt, at least. Love that dude. Love watching HFB shows. Love his acoustic solo performances. Noel is dope.

Top Bottom