• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the MonoCase - a PC gamer's PS4 sized gaming PC

zon

This guy deserves all kinds of rewards for making this. Extremely impressive!

I really think people are getting way too hung up on the use of a clear plastic(which is mostly likely just to demonstrate the packaging) rather than appreciate what has been accomplished here.

It should be expected. People are shallow.

Yudoken

This form factor is great and the best part is that he uses "desktop" components instead of notebook stuff.
A 970 and a i5-4670 are just insane.
I love Valves prototype of a steam machine, this would be something a lot of people would be interested in and it looks (in my opinion) really slick and perfect for people who want a high end gaming pc without compromises in a small case.
Instead we got a lot of ugly, unbalanced and overpriced machines which are not upgradeable, some of them are ok but nowhere as good as you would buy yourself.
I wished that they would just offer the above mentioned hardware specs in this design for a fair price (shouldn't be more than 50 than if you would build it yourself).
This case with a version for low budget, middle budget and high budget would be pretty awesome even for people who already own a pc.

*Yes, you still can build a pc with a nice small case but I just wanted to point out how disappointing the steam machines are fdrom a price/performance/design ratio.
2013-10-23_17-03-25.jpg

steamboxhedimg618pxhedimg.jpg

ArjanN

I hear those things are awfully loud

It glides as softly as a cloud
Is there a chance the track could bend?
Not on your life, my Hindu friend

Opt1kon_

More images at the album.

Here's a video of the PC in action with the RGB LEDs.

Created by Reddit user nztdm, this gaming PC case is designed to be approximately the size of a PS4 while still maintaining good temps and being able to use full sized parts. He submitted it to Cooler Master's Case Mod World Series, and I'd guess that's probably a decent chance he wins!

The specs are as follows:

He also notes that:
  • CPU and GPU temps max out around 73ºC
  • Semi-passive cooling. Front USB3.0 x 2, and HD Audio jacks
  • Can fit a small backpack, pillowcase, his lap, with ease
  • >13000 Graphics score in 3DMark Firestrike
What do you think, GAF? Personally, the fact that this can use full desktop parts at that size fucking astounds me. I want it, and I want it bad. I'd pay quite a bit to get a case like that in matte black, though I bet it wouldn't be expensive to mass produce with the amount of plastic that would be used per case. My specs are similar to that PC but I use a full sized tower - I'd love to get a box that size for ease of portability and taking up less desk space.

See now why couldn't they hire this guy to make a steam machine

SerTapTap

I'd probably never use it (my case is a fucking monstrous HAF X and that's fine) but it's cool to see all the focus on small form factor PCs that fit "real" parts in. Hopefully more professional, non-Steam Machine cases show up so people can build their own stuff with discrete cases. Fractal is nice, but expensive.

Fularu

Banned
I'd probably never use it (my case is a fucking monstrous HAF X and that's fine) but it's cool to see all the focus on small form factor PCs that fit "real" parts in. Hopefully more professional, non-Steam Machine cases show up so people can build their own stuff with discrete cases. Fractal is nice, but expensive.
Micro itx parts are real parts. The motherboards have everything the regular sized ones have and you can find mitx versions of every graphics card

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Not this small, there's not. And definitely not with this sort of hardware.
I'd wager this is more cost effective as well considering you can pick out your own HW. The pre built stuff always seems to cost more than it should

RM8

I'd wager this is more cost effective as well considering you can pick out your own HW. The pre built stuff always seems to cost more than it should
True, but you can't really build something like the Alienware Alpha considering its size is a big selling point. It's a tiny, quiet PC.

Wait, those Alienware steamboxes have mobile GPUs in them? Damn, didn't even know.
It's a "custom overclocked GeForce GTX 860M graphics card with 2GB of GDDR5".

ShutterMunster

It's hideous, but he's clearly very skilled so props to him.

I don't understand why people expect to pay cost for these Steam Machines, which ties into my confusion as to why Steam Machines exist in the first place. You're going to have to pay for the parts, you're going to have to pay for their labor, and then they need to make a little profit on top of that. What did you expect those machines to cost and who the hell did Valve expect to buy those things?

kuYuri

I might be mistaken, but is this that big a deal? I thought the Alienware Alpha was a gaming PC, in a form factor smaller than the Wii U.

EDIT: I see, so now people are talking about the differences between the GPUs.

RM8

I might be mistaken, but is this that big a deal? I thought the Alienware Alpha was a gaming PC, in a form factor smaller than the Wii U.

EDIT: I see, so now people are talking about the differences between the GPUs.
The Alpha is powerful compared to consoles, but it's an entry level gaming PC and you can't upgrade its GPU.

He did a fantastic job and I hope he wins. I'm in the market for a form factor case and may just hold a bit longer to see if he wins so I may buy it.

Does anyone make external PSUs for PCs? that could save a ton of space

While external PSUs for PCs DO exist, they're a big hurdle that aren't worth the effort. You still have to have cords coming out from the PSU to connect to every single part and the PSU needs proper ventilation so you need a weird ugly outer casing thing etc

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Post some that are compatible with full size GTX970s that are this small or similarly sized.

Asus ROG G20? Digital Storm Eclipse? Granted this guy's PC is smaller, but not by much, though I suppose it's all relative. There are others as well. I only know because I'm actually in the market looking to buy one of these pint sized powerhouses.

Nzyme32

Hmm? That didnt stop Steam machines that cost double of that price with worse hardware from existing.

I still want to see how regional pricing works out. Most of those vendors have no realistic chance of serving their hardware globally with the exception of Alienware and maybe a couple of others. Scan for example, are tiny by comparison, based in the UK in my home town. I'd expect pricing to be cheaper in local regions (obviously if not, it makes no sense)

Asus ROG G20? Digital Storm Eclipse? Granted this guy's PC is smaller, but not by much, though I suppose it's all relative. There are others as well. I only know because I'm actually in the market looking to buy one of these pint sized powerhouses.

Not only are those quite a bit bigger, but they're prebuilts. You can't up and buy those as cases only...

thefil

Those temps are insane.

I was all excited for small form factor PCs until I built my girlfriend's machine in an FT03 mini. Cable management is a nightmare and any time we have to open it to change a hard drive, add memory or anything I dread it. It's upgradeable only at great pain.

After that I bought a Define R5 for myself and am considering going for an even large case next time. It's just a joy to work with.

To each their own, of course. Just be aware that fork factor compromises the ease of maintenance/upgrade that are part of the PC advantage.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Those temps are insane.

I was all excited for small form factor PCs until I built my girlfriend's machine in an FT03 mini. Cable management is a nightmare and any time we have to open it to change a hard drive, add memory or anything I dread it. It's upgradeable only at great pain.

After that I bought a Define R5 for myself and am considering going for an even large case next time. It's just a joy to work with.

To each their own, of course. Just be aware that fork factor compromises the ease of maintenance/upgrade that are part of the PC advantage.

Yeah I have a giant case in my current desktop and it's a breeze to swap things in and out. I honestly don't know how to upgrade these small beasts without just removing everything. Still, being so small is so coooooool

SegaShack

I'm building a PC with an Asus Z97 Extreme 6 and a GTX 960. Are there any similar cases to this that I can use? Love this design (apart from the LEDs).

dtcm83

I am obsessed with the idea of cramming desktop components in as small an enclosure as possible. Power and portability...this is awesome and I want one.

Gren

Sign me up for backing a matte black version. I'm all for the case looking like swiss cheese if it means getting those max temps w/ full desktop parts.

Am enjoying couch PC-gaming quite a bit. Don't think I'll ever be able to go back to consoles. Looking forward to what's on the horizon.

magnumpy

semi-passive cooling? I don't understand, it uses a fan right? so it's not passive cooling? I get the feeling that these specs are only semi-truthful.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
How is wire management when it comes to a case like this? Is it a real bitch for those without PC building experience?

Top Bottom