• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

DSmalls84

Are Mega Man 5 and 6 worth playing?

I have finished 2-4 this week and my thoughts were 2 is great, 3 is Amazing, and 4 is mediocre. So playing 4 kind of made me wonder if 5 and 6 only got worse from there.

qq more

5 was okay but I'm in the minority here. You might enjoy it a lot though. 6 felt kind of rushed but I felt it was more fun than 5.

Honestly, I say get both of them. They're still decent games in the least.

SkyOdin

Are Mega Man 5 and 6 worth playing?

I have finished 2-4 this week and my thoughts were 2 is great, 3 is Amazing, and 4 is mediocre. So playing 4 kind of made me wonder if 5 and 6 only got worse from there.

They are still Mega Man games. I for one pretty much like the entire Classic series roughly equally. I consider any variation in quality to be minor at most, particularly compared to the unevenness of the X series. I suppose other peoples' tastes will vary, but I think it is worth giving them a shot.

Darkrider

I'm really enjoying Mega Man Unlimited, highly recommended. I can't believe this is a fan made game... I think it's as good as 9 & 10.

Kokonoe

Banned
http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelsto...-game-boy-games-coming-to-3ds-virtual-console

I thought some might appreciate this. These games will be coming to the Nintendo 3DS VC sometime later this year.

• Mega Man II (GameBoy)
  • Mega Man III (GameBoy)
  • Mega Man IV (GameBoy)
  • Mega Man V (GameBoy)
  • Mega Man Xtreme (GameBoy Color)
  • Mega Man Xtreme 2 (GameBoy Color)

Now, we don't have release dates set just yet, but given how cool this information is (especially MMV), I thought it was worth sharing ASAP. I'll certainly share the dates as soon as we lock 'em down, and we should have even more VC updates in the coming weeks.

Seems like more VC news to come as well.

Nice to see Xtreme 2 showing up on the eShop.

qq more

That's awesome! Especially nice to see Mega Man V considering the cartridge is extremely expensive and it's definitely the best Gameboy Mega Man game ever made.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT EARTHBOUND IS ON VC

CorvoSol

URGH. So after trying and trying to get through Sigma's 2nd form as Zero in X4, I hand it over to my brother for a minute to rest my hands and let him take a crack at it and he BLOWS MY SUB TANK on it.

And this is AFTER he'd wasted one fighting the regular bosses.

His trigger happy waste basically had me just up and be like "I quit."

SkyOdin

URGH. So after trying and trying to get through Sigma's 2nd form as Zero in X4, I hand it over to my brother for a minute to rest my hands and let him take a crack at it and he BLOWS MY SUB TANK on it.

And this is AFTER he'd wasted one fighting the regular bosses.

His trigger happy waste basically had me just up and be like "I quit."

For clarity's sake, are you talking about the version of Sigma right after the cloaked one, where he is wielding the hammer? Since I was a kid, I thought that form of Sigma was one of the hardest in the series. However, when I challenged the game last year or so using un-upgraded X, I discovered that if you really pay attention to his tricks, he becomes shockingly simple. I was actually a little disappointed, since I had hyped that version of Sigma up so much much in my brain. I was still summerly crushed by X4 Sigma's final form.

The trick is
that Sigma throws the hammer straight at you. That means that you can control whether or not it hits the floor or wall, which in turn determines which subsequent attack pattern Sigma uses. One of the attack patterns is much easier to dodge than the other.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Any pre-final Sigma form is designed to be beaten without taking any damage rather simply. Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean easy, as X3 demonstrates.

CorvoSol

For clarity's sake, are you talking about the version of Sigma right after the cloaked one, where he is wielding the hammer? Since I was a kid, I thought that form of Sigma was one of the hardest in the series. However, when I challenged the game last year or so using un-upgraded X, I discovered that if you really pay attention to his tricks, he becomes shockingly simple. I was actually a little disappointed, since I had hyped that version of Sigma up so much much in my brain. I was still summerly crushed by X4 Sigma's final form.

The trick is
that Sigma throws the hammer straight at you. That means that you can control whether or not it hits the floor or wall, which in turn determines which subsequent attack pattern Sigma uses. One of the attack patterns is much easier to dodge than the other.

He's a sinch as X, yes, but as Zero he's a little harder, since dodging his shoulder boomerangs is a pain. Really, though, he isn't THAT bad. I could've beaten it, except my brother just up and blew all my sub tanks and then I had nothing. X4's final battle isn't that rough, even as Zero, but I'm not perfect and slip up and those slip ups add up.

Trying to get into X5 now and it basically sucks. X4 had only 1 bad level, the Jet Stingray one, and basically all the levels in X5 are terrible. Alia is a constant pain in the ass, interrupting like, every ten seconds in a level, and the time limit is not a plus.

They really should've canned X after 5. I know that was the plan, and it sorta shows, 'cuz Zero 1 compared to X6 is a huge difference in quality.

EDIT: Little bro redeems himself tonight: Ruth Shirashi, voice of Mega Man and X, has her own Youtube channel.

CorvoSol

The fight does not change regardless of character. If Sigma uses his shoulder boomerangs EVEN ONCE, you're doing it wrong.

Wait, so what am I supposed to do there? Which of Zero's weapons stuns this form of Sigma? I know form 1 gets stunned by the flaming uppercut, but what gets him here?

And I mean, as X I always either launch the electric spider web at him or if I'm doing Ultimate Armor then I just LOL R2 him.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Wait, so what am I supposed to do there? Which of Zero's weapons stuns this form of Sigma? I know form 1 gets stunned by the flaming uppercut, but what gets him here?

And I mean, as X I always either launch the electric spider web at him or if I'm doing Ultimate Armor then I just LOL R2 him.
You don't even need any of that.
First he jumps to throw the scythe in a circle, which you can avoid and get behind him to hit repeatedly. After that he'll jump up to throw the scythe to plant it either in the wall or in the floor. Just be on the wall when he does so then drop down to evade it. Since it hits the wall, he'll leap back and do laser eyes across the floor, but you want to be on the opposite wall (dash or dashjump over there) and just hand on the wall behind his head and whack it over and over. His hitbox is smaller than it looks like it would be, so you don't have to worry about getting hurt by touching him much. After he stops the laser eyes, go back to the first step.
Repeat until dead.

SkyOdin

You don't even need any of that.
First he jumps to throw the scythe in a circle, which you can avoid and get behind him to hit repeatedly. After that he'll jump up to throw the scythe to plant it either in the wall or in the floor. Just be on the wall when he does so then drop down to evade it. Since it hits the wall, he'll leap back and do laser eyes across the floor, but you want to be on the opposite wall (dash or dashjump over there) and just hand on the wall behind his head and whack it over and over. His hitbox is smaller than it looks like it would be, so you don't have to worry about getting hurt by touching him much. After he stops the laser eyes, go back to the first step.
Repeat until dead.

Yeah, that is what I was eluding to in my spoilered comment above. I guess I should have been a bit more clear.

Excited to play the Gameboy games finally, especially V (don't kill me, but I never owned an original Gameboy). Are Xtreme 1 and 2 worth playing?
People in SonicGAF (most of whom are regulars here too) emphatically say "no". Pretty sure Schala's quite vocal about not liking it; maybe Kokonoe too, not sure. I think qq more actually likes it (or at least insists they're better than X7, which I'd have assumed went without saying <_<).

Personally, I haven't played them, but since they're basically Mega Man X and X2 but not, I can just play Mega Man X and X2 and probably get more satisfaction.

Xtreme 2 is definitely worth a fair shake.

Also, I may have missed something, but why have people started assuming the Game Gear game's coming to VC?

qq more

People in SonicGAF (most of whom are regulars here too) emphatically say "no". Pretty sure Schala's quite vocal about not liking it; maybe Kokonoe too, not sure. I think qq more actually likes it (or at least insists they're better than X7, which I'd have assumed went without saying <_<).

Personally, I haven't played them, but since they're basically Mega Man X and X2 but not, I can just play Mega Man X and X2 and probably get more satisfaction.

It was mostly Schala who was vocal about not liking it. Koko likes Xtreme 2 and I like both.

Xtreme 2 is definitely worth a fair shake.

Also, I may have missed something, but why have people started assuming the Game Gear game's coming to VC?
Dunno. I hope not because it was really awful.

CorvoSol

Excited to play the Gameboy games finally, especially V (don't kill me, but I never owned an original Gameboy). Are Xtreme 1 and 2 worth playing?

I really liked Mega Man Xtreme 2 as a kid and play it every once in awhile. It's a decent game that lets you play as both X and Zero and Zero even has armor upgrades. But if you don't get exactly the right weapons during your Xtreme Mode playthrough you cannot get all the upgrades.

Hello Mega Man thread! I have had little to no experience with the blue bomber and was hoping to try some games out.
Is there a particularly good Mega Man experience that can be had on the PS Vita? Anything that isn't absurdly difficult?
Thanks!

Game Gear Megaman has been ESRB rated.

That's the thing though, I don't think it has. When I look up the game on the ESRB site, I run into this rating

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=488&Title=Mega Man

...Which has been up on the ESRB site since before the 3DS was even a thing.

Plus, if the game was rated for 3DS Virtual Console, it'd say "Nintendo 3DS, Game Gear" in the platform description, just like how every other re-release for a VC game includes the platform the game was on, and the platform the game is coming to. I think someone just saw the old Game Gear rating and jumped the gun.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yeah, Xtreme 2 is actually my favorite portable handheld Mega Man and I'd highly suggest it to any Mega Man fan. I'd also definitely suggest Maverick Hunter X and Powered Up as must plays.

qq more

Yeah, Xtreme 2 is actually my favorite portable handheld Mega Man and I'd highly suggest it to any Mega Man fan. I'd also definitely suggest Maverick Hunter X and Powered Up as must plays.

It's a real shame those two remakes never sold as those are very excellent games. I'd love to see more of those. They should do a rerelease on the 3DS or something to gauge interest.

Hello Mega Man thread! I have had little to no experience with the blue bomber and was hoping to try some games out.
Is there a particularly good Mega Man experience that can be had on the PS Vita? Anything that isn't absurdly difficult?
Thanks!

You could get the PSX version of the NES games.

CorvoSol

I like Xtreme but when it comes to portable Mega Man, it has to be Zero. Especially if it is Zero 1 or 3.

CorvoSol

Made it past Sigma's first two forms without any damage, died at 3rd form because I didn't realize there was somewhere safe you could go to be away from his stupid debris spray. Almost had him, too.

So now that all the classic games that could be ported got ported, how long before Nintendo breaks the GBA premium gate and allows some Battle Network? Wait, they have to figure out emulating linkup first. I think they'll drop the ball there.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've been playing Mega Man Unlimited. From a physics standpoint + including more spike guards / the energy balancer / slide, etc. it's fine. I kinda miss the charge shot, as I think it's beneficial from the enemies which kind of feel like sponges at times. From a level design/gimmick use department, I don't like it very much. It's not that it's hard because some of it's actually pretty easy, others are moderate, and others are "throw the controller down" and take a break hard. There's just something about the game design which is kind of off to me. Though, ah, Yo-Yo Cutter is totally reminiscent of the Metal Blade, hahaha. The bosses themselves aren't that special and their AI is kind of boneheaded in that going for a buster-only approach and just shooting a lot while sliding under them or jumping above their projectiles works well. I would've liked to have seen neater ideas for the bosses. Stages are also longer than they should be. 2-3 minutes tops for a normal MM stage. 4-6 minutes is too long.

Rainbow Man's stage used a trope I'm not very fond of, though it's a good idea. It's just not a trope I dig. I heard Jet Man's Stage ain't that great either, but I haven't tried it yet.

And honestly, the game I'm comparing it with is Rockman 4: Minus Infinity, which took a bunch of good ideas and never really overused them, nor did stages feel like they'd overstayed their welcome. Some of the bits can be boneheaded hard or the Wily Labyrinth Stage can be kind of dumb design, but it did a lot of nice remixes of the levels and the weapons aren't that bad. The bosses are its strength, though.

I'm finding myself preferring R4:MI by a country mile, despite it being a ROM hack.

Top Bottom