• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The discussion was getting too normal. Balance has been restored.

B4Je3yfIIAAHCc-.jpg:large

D'angenlo?! You mean the r&b artist made popular in the 90's with the music video of him singing in a dark room while naked and the camera zooming in and out to reveal just before his pubic area? Impossible!

Yes the very same. Incredible musicianship on those records. Eric Clapton is really into his music. You should give him a listen.

Also, ever since they first revealed ocelot I much preferred they kept his hair blonde at this point in the timeline.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
He says that now because they added Kojima to the conversation.

jbullF5oySkzuW.png

2014-12-1615_16_57-kebwsms.png

Skullface

Yes the very same. Incredible musicianship on those records. Eric Clapton is really into his music. You should give him a listen.

Also, ever since they first revealed ocelot I much preferred they kept his hair blonde at this point in the timeline.

Wow, have I at some point mentioned that I'm a huge Clapton fan? I probably did since we had that discussion about Beware of Mr.Baker. I've had the pleasure of seeing him 3 times live.

By the way, I definitely dug D'angelo in the 90's.
My response was satirical. "Metal Gear?! The same one I destroyed at Outer Heaven in the 90's? Impossible!" ;)

Also, my Xbox Live tag is "ecrockedboston", as in Eric Clapton. Fucking guy has turned me on to so many musicians. Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Bob Marley, Howlin' Wolf, John Mayall, Bonnie and Delanie, the Allman Brothers, just to name a few. I'll be sure to give D'angelo a re-listen soon.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta separate the art from the artist.

Yeeeeeah... sometimes.

Eric Clapton said:
"Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands. Wogs I mean, I’m looking at you. Where are you? I’m sorry but some fucking wog…Arab grabbed my wife’s bum, you know? Surely got to be said, yeah this is what all the fucking foreigners and wogs over here are like, just disgusting, that’s just the truth, yeah. So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country. You fucking (indecipherable). I don’t want you here, in the room or in my country."

My Dad is an Egyptian immigrant in the UK, so I take that kind of personally. Then on top of that:

Eric Clapton said:
"Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white. [...] England is for white people, man. We are a white country. I don’t want fucking wogs living next to me with their standards."

Read that again. That's right, the white guy who appropriated and made a name for himself predominantly playing music of a "black" origin, said that. Makes it very difficult for me to separate him from his music.

JayEH

Yeeeeeah... sometimes.

My Dad is an Egyptian immigrant in the UK, so I take that kind of personally. Then on top of that:

Read that again. That's right, the white guy who appropriated and made a name for himself predominantly playing music of a "black" origin, said that. Makes it very difficult for me to separate him from his music.

Wow didn't realize he's that bad. Totally understand your position. Guess it really is a case by case basis. For someone like me who isn't from the UK it's a lot easier for me to ignore that but as someone who isn't white and whose mom is an immigrant that is disgusting. Luckily I'm not a huge Clapton fan and only like a couple of his songs lol.

Murkrow

Banned
Wow didn't realize he's that bad. Totally understand your position. Guess it really is a case by case basis. For someone like me who isn't from the UK it's a lot easier for me to ignore that but as someone who isn't white and whose mom is an immigrant that is disgusting. Luckily I'm not a huge Clapton fan and only like a couple of his songs lol.

This talk may stay away from the MGSV board.

Skullface

Yeeeeeah... sometimes.

Hope you realize that his comments were made in the 70's while he was under the influence of God knows how many drugs. He's expressed much regret for those comments since and hasn't been quoted saying anything like that since. In other words, be owned it and admit that not only his words were wrong, but his views were wrong too.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Hope you realize that his comments were made in the 70's while he was under the influence of God knows how many drugs. He's expressed much regret for those comments since and hasn't been quoted saying anything like that since. In other words, be owned it and admit that not only his words were wrong, but his views were wrong too.

Were that but true. That's not from what I've read. From 2004:

Some ill-chosen and drunken comments in support of the repatriation policies of Enoch Powell in 1976 at the start of his first British tour in six years sullied his reputation and turned him into a hate figure in punk rock circles. Yet he refuses to blame the booze and remains surprisingly unrepentant. "There’s no way I could be a racist. It would make no sense," he insists. But he still says that his view on the matter "hasn’t changed" and believes that Powell was "outrageously brave" and misunderstood.

Good thing that came out of this? Rock Against Racism.

This talk may stay away from the MGSV board.

It's about ethics in games journalism, dammit!

Skullface

Were that but true. That's not from what I've read. From 2004:

Good thing that came out of this? Rock Against Racism.

It's about ethics in games journalism, dammit!

For any given incident, you'll find many different sources on the individual's motivations etc. There's a video of him being interviewed on a French program in the 80's where he explains why he said what he said, and he says that he was essentially more xenophobic than anything, and that his words were exacerbated by intoxication, his own words. He was afraid of loss of tradition, whether it be by Egyptians or anyone else. It's always worse when it's white folk saying this kind of thing of course. He also went on to explain that he hopes to see a unified Europe at some point (before the Euro was established I'm guessing). He went on to explain that accepts the times and that now it's the Japanese that were buying up properties and that he's made peace with the whole situation. I don't buy that source from '04 after watching the interview I saw.

Murkrow

Banned
Isn't being against racists also racist?

I'm sort of a racist. I can't stand people praising Xbox.

Note: I am dead serious with this, I'm not joking here nor am I making fun about your complaints.

wilsonda

Just so sad it seems like the MGO reveal hasn't gotten much coverage on some of the more mainstream podcasts ex. Giantbomb or podcast beyond

Makes my desire to do a podcast grow stronger haha

JayEH

Just so sad it seems like the MGO reveal hasn't gotten much coverage on some of the more mainstream podcasts ex. Giantbomb or podcast beyond

Makes my desire to do a podcast grow stronger haha

GB did talk about it a bit but I wouldn't call what GB did "coverage". All they did was shit on the game and said "Who plays this", "It's another dumb Metal Gear online mode that no one cares about." Those guys are so out of touch when it comes to Metal Gear in general. To them nobody enjoys Metal Gear's gameplay and MGS3 is garbage.

I've been pretty close many times writing them emails about Metal Gear lol.

Murkrow

Banned
Many humans are racists and that's mostly not even their fault. It is in the genes. Sure people can also be racist through bad raising by their parents or whatever, but there is a fact that humans are basically just animals.

Take a dog for example. There are dogs with genes they are no pets. And they should never be treated as pets, like for example lions. But other dogs might be. It is all in the genes.

How much you want deny it. I am pretty sure every person in the world is in any form a racist, nobody is perfect.

And you might never change the racism of these people.

You can only change one thing and that is you. You can stand above that or not. Depends if you are weak or strong. And from the look, just because your father is muslim, tells me that you can't stand above that. So not even you are perfect.

After all the human race is the worst thing on the planet.

Palpable

Note: I am dead serious with this, I'm not joking here nor am I making fun about your complaints.

People who like xbox are not a race, nor are racists. That just means you're prejudice against them.

Murkrow

Banned
Lions are cats.

That was just an example. Geez.

People who like xbox are not a race, nor are racists. That just means you're prejudice against them.

Of course it's not racism. I said sort of. It goes in the same direction. For example, I also can't stand people who are sitting felt like 24/7 and watching dumb soaps, which they think this is real and relate with the show. Those are points where I say: No, here I cross the line!

GB did talk about it a bit but I wouldn't call what GB did "coverage". All they did was shit on the game and said "Who plays this", "It's another dumb Metal Gear online mode that no one cares about." Those guys are so out of touch when it comes to Metal Gear in general. To them nobody enjoys Metal Gear's gameplay and MGS3 is garbage.

I've been pretty close many times writing them emails about Metal Gear lol.
They have a whole feature dedicated to one of them playing through the series for the first time and Dan Ryckert loves Metal Gear even if he has no interest in the online mode. Let's not judge the entire site because Jeff hates everything.

In all honesty, how much can you really "cover" an online mode before you can even play a beta.

Skullface

Depending on what he does with these feelings also, he may also be discriminatory. As an Xboner, I'm personally offended that he would insult my mother console this way.

the only thing that makes this conversation relevant is the Phantom Pain's theme of race <.< >.>

Damn. Sorry for bringin music talk into tbr forum guys. Didn't intend for things to take an argumentative turn. Let's bring it back to what's important:
snake's ass

JayEH

Damn. Sorry for bringin music talk into tbr forum guys. Didn't intend for things to take an argumentative turn. Let's bring it back to what's important:
snake's ass

tumblr_m3t8y9wO4L1qjoqfd.gif

They have a whole feature dedicated to one of them playing through the series for the first time and Dan Ryckert loves Metal Gear even if he has no interest in the online mode. Let's not judge the entire site because Jeff hates everything.

In all honesty, how much can you really "cover" an online mode before you can even play a beta.

What they've said about MGS3 is UNFORGIVABLE. Well no it isn't but still it just annoys me when they make sweeping comments about a series that most of them have very little experience with.

Skullface

snake's ass

Le epic detail
jk
. Really though, it's almost a good thing to discuss this issue as we should be encountering it Quiet a bit when PP drops. In that way, it's somewhat relevant. It also shows that most everyone will react to the way this topic is presented in many different ways depending on who you are and your background. All the more respectable of Kojima to address this issue specifically because some people will be happy, unhappy, outright offended... Hey, Bill O'Reilly might even do a piece on if it offends enough conservatives that have only heard minute details on the game.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
For any given incident, you'll find many different sources on the individual's motivations etc. There's a video of him being interviewed on a French program in the 80's where he explains why he said what he said, and he says that he was essentially more xenophobic than anything, and that his words were exacerbated by intoxication, his own words. He was afraid of loss of tradition, whether it be by Egyptians or anyone else. It's always worse when it's white folk saying this kind of thing of course. He also went on to explain that he hopes to see a unified Europe at some point (before the Euro was established I'm guessing). He went on to explain that accepts the times and that now it's the Japanese that were buying up properties and that he's made peace with the whole situation. I don't buy that source from '04 after watching the interview I saw.

Fair enough, man.

From the sounds of what you described, he didn't exactly repent/take back what he said, it sounds more like a poor attempt at damage control. Those fears of his about "losing tradition" are the calling card of any dyed in the wool racist. His support of Enoch Powell and his fear-mongering, anti-immigration "Rivers of Blood" hate speech, also speaks volumes.

snake's ass

I'm not arguing. The discussion's been nothing but civil from what I can see. That's a damn rarity!

Many humans are racists and that's mostly not even their fault. It is in the genes. Sure people can also be racist through bad raising by their parents or whatever, but there is a fact that humans are basically just animals.

Personally, I think racism is learned behaviour. I don't think there is categorical proof one way or the other though.

No. Racists aren't a race.

a5fd9f50473ea78ab4a5668771803996dfaebe931facffc060a9c530337dc7e7.jpg

All right then. I think we should end the racism talk now before it goes places we don't want.

Yeah, fair point. I shouldn't have brought it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom