• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

What? no way dude come on.

Really??

The difference isn't that big, but in 2012 it was revealed that MGS4 had sold 5.67 million copies.

Looking up some more information, it seems that Arkham City had shipped 6 million copies early 2012, a few months after release. Note: this is shipped, not sold. The only sales numbers I'm finding are around ~5.4 million.

Anyway, this is exclusive versus multiplatform. Adding Xbox One & PC, Metal Gear Solid V should technically be able to beat Arkham Knight.

eitherway, you don't want to release around the same time as batman. a few weeks before or after would be better. both games only stand to hurt each other if they release too close to each other.

Dawg

MGS4 sold 6 million as of 2014.

Like Dawg said Batman SHIPPED 6 million.

MGSV is going to demolish Batman.

Metal Gear Solid is one of the very few franchises that just keeps on selling. Most games just die a year after release. Nobody buys them anymore.

The fact MGS4 was able to add ~400.000 sold copies between 2012 and 2014 is pretty amazing, ESPECIALLY because it's a PlayStation 3 exclusive.

Metal Gear Solid is one of the very few franchises that just keeps on selling. Most games just die a year after release. Nobody buys them anymore.

The fact MGS4 was able to add ~400.000 sold copies between 2012 and 2014 is pretty amazing, ESPECIALLY because it's a PlayStation 3 exclusive.

True.

JayEH

Konami sold nearly 2 million copies of Metal Gear in general (but most of the sales are definitely Ground Zeroes) last quarter which is crazy. The PC thirst for Metal Gear is real.

Dawg

Konami sold nearly 2 million copies of Metal Gear in general (but most of the sales are definitely Ground Zeroes) last quarter which is crazy. The PC thirst for Metal Gear is real.

I believe they sold 900K copies between september and december, while the only notable release was Ground Zeroes PC.

JayEH

I believe they sold 900K copies between september and december, while the only notable release was Ground Zeroes PC.

Ahh yeah I see I'm looking at the 3 quarters' sales together. Regardless selling 900k in that period is bonkers.

that makes sense with GZ dropping in price to a more reasonable level. i presume konami's internal figures include digital sales as well, right?

Yup! Doesn't hurt that the GZ port is excellent. Seriously, shout out to Koji Pro on an amazing PC debut.

Dawg

Ahh yeah I see I'm looking at the 3 quarters' sales together. Regardless selling 900k in that period is bonkers.

Sometimes I wonder if Konami would still be around without Kojima...

that makes sense with GZ dropping in price to a more reasonable level. i presume konami's internal figures include digital sales as well, right?

Physical release wasn't available until early 2015 IIRC, so it has to include digital for sure.

JayEH

You'd think so.

They will but the gaming division will probably close. From the look of their financial reports games is only their third best selling division (in revenue).
I've noticed that a lot of Japanese publishers are re positioning themselves for the inevitable.

3WSBmq7.png

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

They would probably still have Yu Gi Oh and PES and all that, but they wouldn't be a mayor player in the hardcore gaming industry for sure.

It's really great. My only gripe is the lack of mouse support in the menus and no custom audio (without mods).

Yeah, I feel ya! There's that weird bug where the cursor never leaves the screen or pops up regularly in the center if the controller os plugged in, too, but that didn't start happening until the January update. Haven't played the PC version in a week, so I'll boot it up this week to see what's up.

What? The PC version doesn't have the music import feature? That's crazy.

Yeah, for PC of all things it really is lol.

Yeah, wild. :lol There will be a mod sooner or later (there kinda already is, as you brought up). TPP is gonna have a ton of support over the years. Can't wait to see what the PC community does!

JayEH

Doesn't look like Kojima is going to GDC so Pax East is then the hype train destination?

We should make one of those Wii U chalkboards.

They will but the gaming division will probably close. From the look of their financial reports games is only their third best selling division (in revenue).
I've noticed that a lot of Japanese publishers are re positioning themselves for the inevitable.

*ahem* You're reading that wrong. "Gaming" refers to our division in Vegas that does slots and various gambling hardware. Digital Entertainment is our video games (console/mobile/PC/browser).
Don't feel bad, you aren't the first and certainly not the last.

And yes, we differentiate between pachinko and Vegas on our English returns sheet.

*ahem* You're reading that wrong. "Gaming" refers to our division in Vegas that does slots and various gambling hardware. Digital Entertainment is our video games (console/mobile/PC/browser).

And yes, we differentiate between pachinko and Vegas on our English returns sheet.

All this coming from the President of Konami himself, folks.

Dawg

Tora you better make sure we can listen to custom .mp3 files on PS4!

YOU'RE MY FAVOURITE KONAMI EXEC, YOU CAN DO THIS

JayEH

Don't feel bad, you aren't the first and certainly not the last.

Gotcha. I was wondering what digital entertainment was meaning. I thought it was some weird new endeavor you guys were doing.

Also while I got you. Bring Portable Ops to Vita in NA!

Dawg

also, i still remember you promising DD plushies with the CE, tora

i haven't forgotten

inb4 western audience gets DD plushie instead of arm and everyone ITT kills me while Tora has a laugh

also, i still remember you promising DD plushies with the CE, tora

i haven't forgotten

inb4 western audience gets DD plushie instead of arm and everyone ITT kills me while Tora has a laugh

I would like to start the petition to change your title to "Shit-Stirrer Extraordinaire".

Mifec

My words & deeds...

[im]http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--ddJGcQlj--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/ihes0yk7rfmfahenrera.jpg[/img]
[im]http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--ILkPogj7--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/kg1cj3pzqazhtckxiyta.jpg[/img]

m8 it's 5am, too spooky

Lernaean

Banned
Late to the party because beauty sleep, but #teamdawg definitely. I got a 5 yo pug, and i care about my little guy more than i do about anyone and anything in this world <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom