• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

We need to have a solid deadline for the mosaic. Is anyone down to add personalized messages to this or are we just doing avatars/names?

I think the google docs is done now. We have around 130 people and I don't really see any new people joining.

The picture should be face #3 of the three faces image, the one on the right side that is.

I think personalized messages might make the thing a little bloated, unless we limit it to the core members of MGS-GAF. I'm pretty sure more than half of the people on the google docs file wouldn't make a message anyway. And I don't want to PM every single person on there for a cheezy tag line.

I do like the idea of adding one "big" personalized message that represents MGS-GAF on the front of the image, alongside with the mosaic.

Also, I'm not sure if Torashiro replied yet... but I have his address anyway. I can forward you it, Infinity Patriot. If he doesn't respond on time, just send it there. We're sure he'll get it that way.

SJRB

Gold Member
Aw yiss, Act III briefing cutscene. The second most surreal, most bizarre and most cringeworthy cutscene in the entire franchise.

It's like watching an accident happen in slow-motion, I just can't look away. I'm really glad Kojima stepped up his game with the narrative/pacing/directing.

What are the most cringeworthy scenes in the entire franchise, you ask?

1. Naomi dying/Otacon crying
2. Murl/Akiba proposal scene
3. Act III briefing

METAL GEAR SOLID 4, BABY.

Weiss

Banned
Meryl and Johnny's proposal was great.

I'm with you on Naomi, though. I didn't sympathize with her at all, and I have no idea why she went through with it.

jett

D-Member
Aw yiss, Act III briefing cutscene. The second most surreal, most bizarre and most cringeworthy cutscene in the entire franchise.

It's like watching an accident happen in slow-motion, I just can't look away. I'm really glad Kojima stepped up his game with the narrative/pacing/directing.

3. Act III briefing

I approve of Meryl's new name being Murl.

MGS4 definitely fills a list of that sort all by itself. It's endless. I add Eva calling herself BIG MAMA.

Every time I think of the Murl/Akiba proposal, I cringe a little. I like MGS4 but god damn does it have some bad moments. MGS3 is the one I feel uncomfortable playing in front of people though. Never agreed with the fanbase on that game.

Skullface

Every time I think of the Murl/Akiba proposal, I cringe a little. I like MGS4 but god damn does it have some bad moments. MGS3 is the one I feel uncomfortable playing in front of people though. Never agreed with the fanbase on that game.

Was it Big Boss' absolute lack of acceptable social behavior that did it for you? Or was it that line about the tree frog in "Snake Eater"? Lol. I'm kind of with you on this one. They made BB cringey levels of dumb.

Was it Big Boss' absolute lack of acceptable social behavior that did it for you? Or was it that line about the tree frog in "Snake Eater"? Lol. I'm kind of with you on this one. They made BB cringey levels of dumb.
Yea, Big Boss being dumb is kinda the issue. Eva was so overtly sexual too which is connected to how oblivious Snake is to her flirtations. It's a bit ridiculous. But hey, what is a Metal Gear game without awkward scenes I ask? Not a Metal Gear game at all. We need scenes with Vamp neck sucking people.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, Big Boss being dumb is kinda the issue. Eva was so overtly sexual too which is connected to how oblivious Snake is to her flirtations. It's a bit ridiculous. But hey, what is a Metal Gear game without awkward scenes I ask? Not a Metal Gear game at all. We need scenes with Vamp neck sucking people.

I don't think he was so much dumb as naive and not very good at picking up on social cues or situations.

i always assumed it was a combination of social naivety and a driving desire to complete his mission above all. i feel like he saw the obvious passes she was making at him, but ignored them and kept his guard up because his mission was his sole focus.

it's funny because you'd think in a game inspired by james bond, big boss would have had a little more of that dry wit like solid had in MGS1

Skullface

i always assumed it was a combination of social naivety and a driving desire to complete his mission above all. i feel like he saw the obvious passes she was making at him, but ignored them and kept his guard up because his mission was his sole focus.

it's funny because you'd think in a game inspired by james bond, big boss would have had a little more of that dry wit like solid had in MGS1

True about the Bond inspiration, but Kojima always wanted to make a point of BB's greenness as a soldier. I kind of think he went over board. Still love the game though. I had no knowledge of the game going into it, so the revelation of who we were playing as packed a punch that I've not encountered again until Big Boss's scene at the end of MGS4, which again, I didn't know was going I happen.

Palpable

I think the google docs is done now. We have around 130 people and I don't really see any new people joining.

The picture should be face #3 of the three faces image, the one on the right side that is.

I think personalized messages might make the thing a little bloated, unless we limit it to the core members of MGS-GAF. I'm pretty sure more than half of the people on the google docs file wouldn't make a message anyway. And I don't want to PM every single person on there for a cheezy tag line.

I do like the idea of adding one "big" personalized message that represents MGS-GAF on the front of the image, alongside with the mosaic.

Also, I'm not sure if Torashiro replied yet... but I have his address anyway. I can forward you it, Infinity Patriot. If he doesn't respond on time, just send it there. We're sure he'll get it that way.

He recently responded about the art & just gave me a link to the released artwork so far. I haven't asked about the address. Will do so now. One big personalized message or one of each from core members should work out just fine.

Woodchipper

MGS4 must be the game in the franchise that has aged worst. The more I think about it, it was nothing but a mess. Nothing made sense. I mean, what was Kojima's motive for including each and every character that had not been killed in the previous MGS's, in one game?

ezekial45

Banned
posted this in the other thread

New video from YongYea goes into detail about the MotherBase invasion gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvkhi676pkk

He makes a great point about the mention of 'Front Operating Bases', which was mentioned throughout the demo. There's the possibility that MotherBase will be divided between Singleplayer and Multiplayer content. SP being Main Opperating Base, and multiplayer being the Front Opperating Base.

This would be really awesome if true.

LowParry

Ah if only those rumors are true. Though I do believe we'll get a release date at TGS. If I had to guess, I'd say March '15

Dawg

3. Act III briefing

1408980488161uejjt.gif

MGS4 must be the game in the franchise that has aged worst. The more I think about it, it was nothing but a mess. Nothing made sense. I mean, what was Kojima's motive for including each and every character that had not been killed in the previous MGS's, in one game?
He really really really wanted it to be the last one so he thought he may as well take the chance to shove in everyone. I'm pretty sure MGSV will be the last one....

Palpable

3. Act III briefing

More so than rocket peace or the j-pop during the ZEKE battle? I don't think so.

wilsonda

I know the SuperFans in here are busy working on the image for Kojima, so I don't want to distract you too much...

but what do you all think of doing a Metal Gear GAF podcast. I am thinking that I'll get a brief write up together, send it to a few interested parties (probably 3-4 max) and we'll work on getting it recorded.

I've included some possible topics below:

1.) Hopes/Dreams for MGS V
2.) Fears/Concerns
3.) Thoughts on MGS V and various Metal Gear controversies
4.) Thoughts on the Multiplayer announced so far, and the not much talked about MGO

If you are at all interested, please feel free to post up and message me.

Skullface

I know the SuperFans in here are busy working on the image for Kojima, so I don't want to distract you too much...

but what do you all think of doing a Metal Gear GAF podcast. I am thinking that I'll get a brief write up together, send it to a few interested parties (probably 3-4 max) and we'll work on getting it recorded.

2.) Fears/Concerns
4.) Thoughts on the Multiplayer announced so far, and the not much talked about MGO

I'd be very interested in contributing. I have this silky smooth voice that's perfect for radio type activity, thanks to my 6 years in customer service via telephone.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Please call it The iDROID Tapes. Thanks.

My voice is . . . idk.

PS: I don't know what else I could do, but if you need some graphics, I can shop things up.

2.) Fears/Concerns

i'd be interested, depending on when you guys do it. my schedule is all over the place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom