• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
tumblr_n82ck3ctvv1qb0lad9y.gif

Not that kind of thirst
iMThMFpbVwLdv.gif

Progress report:

- Compiled avatars and usernames into one master list (combining the original list from Gamescom and the new one)

- Compiled the chosen image into the proper size, and rendered a sample mosaic (draft, no cleanup done)

I wanted to stop here to point out a few things which caught my attention about this new image:

- We are left with a lot of "negative" space around the image. While we did have that with the previous image as well, we did have some black / grey to balance things out as well.

- The lack of detail affects how smoothly the tiny avatars blend into the image. With the previous image, the details on the hair / beard / cigar...etc provided a nice canvas for the avatars

- The eyepatch here is more angular than it is in the other image, so the shape of the Gaf logo is just a little bit less attractive to me (opinion)

For comparison, at the bottom of the post is what the original image looked like (also without cleanup work)

From this point, I'd like to pursue only one of the below, and get the avatars properly lined up and spread out.

I know many people loved the original, but many also wanted to try the new one. So now that we see how each look within a mosaic, which do you guys prefer?

New Image

Original Image

Dawg

Progress report:

- Compiled avatars and usernames into one master list (combining the original list from Gamescom and the new one)

- Compiled the chosen image into the proper size, and rendered a sample mosaic (draft, no cleanup done)

I wanted to stop here to point out a few things which caught my attention about this new image:

- We are left with a lot of "negative" space around the image. While we did have that with the previous image as well, we did have some black / grey to balance things out as well.

- The lack of detail affects how smoothly the tiny avatars blend into the image. With the previous image, the details on the hair / beard / cigar...etc provided a nice canvas for the avatars

- The eyepatch here is more angular than it is in the other image, so the shape of the Gaf logo is just a little bit less attractive to me (opinion)

For comparison, at the bottom of the post is what the original image looked like (also without cleanup work)

From this point, I'd like to pursue only one of the below, and get the avatars properly lined up and spread out.

I know many people loved the original, but many also wanted to try the new one. So now that we see how each look within a mosaic, which do you guys prefer?

New Image

Original Image

I'm starting to think it would be better to use a colored image instead of Shinkawa art because the white space really ruins it a bit. The problem I have with the old image we used is that many people think it's Ocelot :p

Example:

Metal-Gear-Solid-V-Ground-Zeroes-Game-Wallpaper.jpg

Actually, I really wonder how something like this pic would look like as a mosaic.

SJRB

Gold Member
They're both awesome, Joe. Top one is my favourite, though.

Awesome job, man.

I'm starting to think it would be better to use a colored image instead of Shinkawa art because the white space really ruins it a bit. The problem I have with the old image we used is that many people think it's Ocelot :p

Actually, I really wonder how something like this pic would look like as a mosaic.

Are you fucking serious? Dude wasted his entire Saturday making the fucking mosiac.

And no one with half a brain would ever think it's Ocelot.

I'm starting to think it would be better to use a colored image instead of Shinkawa art because the white space really ruins it a bit.

Example:

That one's out of focus though. I honestly feel the original we made is fine, the negative space was there but it complemented a highly detailed image at the focal center.

If we want something with more color variety, I'm up for it, but we'd need to secure an image in a high enough resolution, while also making sure it relates to MGS V.

Edit: You changed your image. Might play with that one, but could be tricky with the lighting and the fact that it's more or less a render.

Sn4ke_911

2014-08-1323_02_58-n8sdc.png

STAY BACK COMMAND WITH DIAMOND DOGS LOGO NEXT TO IT

DOG COMPANION CONFIRMED
doge.png

OH LOOK WHO COPIED MY PIC WITHOUT GIVING CREDIT TO THE OWNER!!!

I'm totally joking wuv you dawg and yeah i really think this is a command for a doge in the game.

Dawg

That one's out of focus though. I honestly feel the original we made is fine, the negative space was there but it complemented a highly detailed image at the focal center.

If we want something with more color variety, I'm up for it, but we'd need to secure an image in a high enough resolution, while also making sure it relates to MGS V.

I like the original one. I really do. I don't know your opinion about the new one, but I dislike it because of the white space. I know you spent your free time on it though. This is just my opinion after all. I'm only one person.

Are you fucking serious? Dude wasted his entire Saturday making the fucking mosiac.

And no one with half a brain would ever think it's Ocelot.

Hey, lighten up SJRB :p If I don't like something, I will always say that. I always say what I think bro. So even if I know Joe spent his free time on it, I will always share my honest opinion.

But, like I said above... I'm just one guy. If everyone else likes it, that's good enough for me. I just think the new eyepatch looks worse than the previous mosaic and there's way more white space which makes the final result look worse.

Dawg

Dawg, I have a much bigger picture of this, I just post the link because It's too big.

http://daxgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Metal-Gear-Solid-Ground-Zeroes_screenshot-11.jpg

or a different, even larger one:

http://www.hybridgames.co.uk/metalgearsolid/mgs5/artwork/001.jpg

I'd like Joe to give the first image a try. If it doesn't work out, I'm fine with the current mosaic then. Hint: you could change the MSF patch on his shoulder to a GAF logo.

Sorry if I seem demanding... I'm just very perfectionistic (is this even a word?) and I'd like the best image possible.

But yeah, I don't want to give Joe TOO much work of course.

I'd like Joe to give the first image a try. If it doesn't work out, I'm fine with the current mosaic then. Hint: you could change the MSF patch on his shoulder to a GAF logo.

Sorry if I seem demanding... I'm just very perfectionistic (is this even a word?) and I'd like the best image possible.

But yeah, I don't want to give Joe TOO much work of course.

If you guys allow. I could photoshop a mosaic tomorrow. I just need the list with all the people who want to be on the mosaic, that's all. I'll even use the 100x120 avatars and not the profile avatars 60x72. Just send me the list and that shall do it.

Aye, this one is still my favourite now :p

Agreed. I'm heading off to bed since it's late where I'm at. If I don't read any contrary opinions when I check back in 24 hours, I'll begin cleaning up this image.

Also working on that back page with all names arranged.

Dawg

OH LOOK WHO COPIED MY PIC WITHOUT GIVING CREDIT TO THE OWNER!!!

I'm totally joking wuv you dawg and yeah i really think this is a command for a doge in the game.

To be completely honest with you, I'd love it if it were a dog... but that command would fit a soldier as well. And the Diamond Dogs logo would make sense if it was a soldier.

I'm not saying the leaks are true, but it would make sense.

Sn4ke_911

To be completely honest with you, I'd love it if it were a dog... but that command would fit a soldier as well. And the Diamond Dogs logo would make sense if it was a soldier.

I'm not saying the leaks are true, but it would make sense.

bu...but there will be a doge in the game!! the fox engine demo from 2011 and the artwork hinted strongly on a dog for MGSV ....they didn't make this all for nothing ...a doge is pretty much confirmed.

I mean we haven't seen Diamond Soldier gameplay yet for MGSV but we have seen a dog gameplay so this most likely will be a command for the doge seen in the jungle demonstration.

Dawg

bu...but there will be a doge in the game!! the fox engine demo from 2011 and the artwork hinted strongly on a dog for MGSV ....they didn't make this all for nothing ...a doge is pretty much confirmed.

I mean we haven't seen Diamond Soldier gameplay yet for MGSV but we have seen a dog gameplay so this most likely will be a command for the doge seen in the jungle demonstration.

Can you link me the dog gameplay? I probably missed that back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom